Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Flashbacks?

That doesn't work because one of the Simon Williams posters was a Jobs style movie about Tony Stark.

Phylodox posted:

Ego reconfigures himself to be a pseudo-Earth to accommodate Quill?

That's comicbooky enough to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

lomzus posted:

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/statu...811365470121984

8 Marvel movies in 2018, 3 from Fox and Marvel Studios (Black Panther/Infinity War/Ant Man) and 2 from Sony (Venom/Animated Spiderman).
Ooh. I know people are sick of Phoenix at this point or whatever but I'm glad that they're continuing that plot point laid out from the last film. (Well, there was a lot of speculation that they would, but now it's confirmed) Hopefully they're really taking the X-Men: Apocalypse reactions to heart and will double down on the newer, younger cast.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

lomzus posted:

8 Marvel movies in 2018, 3 from Fox and Marvel Studios (Black Panther/Infinity War/Ant Man) and 2 from Sony (Venom/Animated Spiderman).

Nice. 6 movies that will be worth seeing next year.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Ooh. I know people are sick of Phoenix at this point or whatever but I'm glad that they're continuing that plot point laid out from the last film. (Well, there was a lot of speculation that they would, but now it's confirmed) Hopefully they're really taking the X-Men: Apocalypse reactions to heart and will double down on the newer, younger cast.

I swear to god I'm not trying to be snarky here but... I thought the general popular consensus was that Appocalyse was something of a miss-fire. What reaction would prompt them to 'double down'?

Or did I misunderstand your post?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but basically everyone said the kids were the best part and should have been more of the movie.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Well, they are the Guardians of the Galaxy, not the universe.

Yeah good point I guess.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

lomzus posted:

Weren't all the news about New Mutants so far all speculative? Do they even have cast, script, directors, etc.?

They're really going to do all that, plus filming, post-production and what not in one year?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Weren't all the news about New Mutants so far all speculative? Do they even have cast, script, directors, etc.?

They're really going to do all that, plus filming, post-production and what not in one year?

All of that except casting is complete. They've done all the auditioning and stuff though.

Production starts next month.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's on deck DC wise for 2018? Aquaman and The Flash?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

parallelodad posted:

What's on deck DC wise for 2018? Aquaman and The Flash?

The Flash doesn't even have a director anymore and was put on hold. I think the only thing confirmed for 2018 is Aquaman and that's in December.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't believe any of those movies are coming out until I see a trailer or poster. Well, at least the ones that aren't Marvel, because they haven't failed to deliever yet.

I really doubt that Venom movie is going to come out or at least come out when they want it. It sounds like they want it out there in a matter of months, and fast tracking an effect heavy movie sounds like a really poor idea. Flash will probably come out but get delayed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

Further, I thought New Mutants was going to be a TV series?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Further, I thought New Mutants was going to be a TV series?

That was the rumor once upon a time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

lomzus posted:

I remember when people in the 2000s referred to superhero movies as a fad.

It's been nearly twenty years.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Not a comic book movie, but I watched Fast 8 and it's a better superhero movie than Man of Steel or BvS

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The last few Fast movies are better superhero movies than anything.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

parallelodad posted:

The last few Fast movies are better superhero movies than anything.

The Fast movies are D&D movies....

D&D Urban, but D&D none the less.
In the first film they are level 1 scrubs and the big end boss is a dude with a shotgun.

By the fifth movie they have leveled up enough that they are fighting gangs and capable of driving through Brazil with a bank vault.

I fully expect that by the next movie Vin Diesel's character will be Epic level, and the only appropriate challenge for him will be to confront the Grim Reaper himself and race his champion (Steve McQueen) for the right to bring Paul Walker back from the dead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Question IRL posted:

The Fast movies are D&D movies....

D&D Urban, but D&D none the less.
In the first film they are level 1 scrubs and the big end boss is a dude with a shotgun.

By the fifth movie they have leveled up enough that they are fighting gangs and capable of driving through Brazil with a bank vault.

I fully expect that by the next movie Vin Diesel's character will be Epic level, and the only appropriate challenge for him will be to confront the Grim Reaper himself and race his champion (Steve McQueen) for the right to bring Paul Walker back from the dead.

In this movie The Rock intercepts and redirects a torpedo with his bare hands.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Question IRL posted:

This plot has already been done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAQLflcOrTk

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How do you make a Venom origin movie without Spider-Man?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

hiddenriverninja posted:

I guess you make it a standard horror movie where some guy finds the black goop from space and it takes him over? It's just not as interesting.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

hiddenriverninja posted:

You make Spider-Man 3, but replace Spider-Man with Venom and replace Venom with Carnage.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Truth In Journalism with a better suit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

parallelodad posted:

In this movie The Rock intercepts and redirects a torpedo with his bare hands.

The trailers made it look crazier than it was but torpedos have no propulsion outside of water, they use a propeller. All he does is push it off course a bit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess you make it a standard horror movie where some guy finds the black goop from space and it takes him over? It's just not as interesting.

Actually the whole space goop horror movie is good and it just came out a month or so ago.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually the whole space goop horror movie is good and it just came out a month or so ago.

It coincidentally had Spider-Man 3 footage in the trailer!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cool find.

But my version will be a 120 minute blockbuster. And we will call it "The Final* Furious!"
On that basis alone it will likely earn a billion dollars. I will be happy with like a 1% cut of the gross and a name in the credits Hollywood.

* = Final will of course be pronounced Fi-nine-al or Fi9al.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're going to make a film version of that terrible Daniel Way Venom comic?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Guardians 2 is okay. A bit tedious in the middle.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'd call it leisurely rather than tedious.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hm, I'd call it tedious instead of leisurely.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

irlZaphod posted:

They're going to make a film version of that terrible Daniel Way Venom comic?

They already did. It's called John Carpenter's The Thing and it's pretty good! :haw:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm still holding out hope for a film version of that 90s Spider-Man comic where Venom and Carnage fight through the Internet

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'd like to see someone tackle Rick Remender's Venom run, but even that is a culmination of plots and characters found in Spider-man. Like Flash doesn't work without him starting off as arrogant antagonist.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dan Didio posted:

Guardians 2 is okay. A bit tedious in the middle.

cptn_dr posted:

I'd call it leisurely rather than tedious.

I just want to know how overused BABY GROOT is in the movie. Are we going to see a Minions-level oversaturation here?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want to know how overused BABY GROOT is in the movie. Are we going to see a Minions-level oversaturation here?

I don't believe such a thing is even possible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Some anthropologist needs to do an exhaustive study of how exactly Minions memes became the preferred method of communication for Women over 40 with no children.

The sheer pervasiveness of Minions among even people who should have no interest in the movie is bizarre to me. Especially since the movie they spun off of was not as successful as Minions.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some anthropologist needs to do an exhaustive study of how exactly Minions memes became the preferred method of communication for Women over 40 with no children.

The sheer pervasiveness of Minions among even people who should have no interest in the movie is bizarre to me. Especially since the movie they spun off of was not as successful as Minions.

They filled a void left by Tweety Bird and Taz.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read somewhere that the Minions were developed by Dreamworks totally separately as the ideal marketable IP and it sat on a shelf until an appropriate vehicle came along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You're in luck!.

• Locked thread