Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

X-O posted:

Again, I'm a complete GL know-nothing, but if Johns was writing all this stuff and it's like his favorite characters then why didn't he try to establish something concrete? It sounds like it was left a mess on purpose just from what you're all saying here.

Geoff Johns is a tool. He only gives a crap about what he was writing at the time. He didn't mind contracting canon when he was writing pre-N52, and he's not going to care post-N52. My favourite annoying Johns trivia is, post N52 all of the writers were told (Supposedly) "Okay we wont be doing a GL event for 2 years, so you have 24 issues to establish things and build to it." 12 months into it, we get a GL event and every book gets derailed. Why? Well Johns was leaving and he wanted to finish writing his "magnum opus" (Said Opus is the same event repeated ad nauseum with the actors changed) so yeah.

I'm probably not the best person to explain why GJ didn't sort it out, because I hate the man. But the skinny of it is, he didn't want that whole line-wide reboot to impact the story he was telling no matter what was going on in any book.

If you want me to be completely honest, even though he's my favourite character Kyle probably shouldn't have made the jump into the N52. He just has too much drat baggage associated with him. That entire period of time should have been blanked, or kept as it was. Instead it's... left a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Again, I'm a complete GL know-nothing, but if Johns was writing all this stuff and it's like his favorite characters then why didn't he try to establish something concrete? It sounds like it was left a mess on purpose just from what you're all saying here.

Johns wanted to not actually have his plot, which was heavily tied to the history of the DC universe, be undone by their intent at doing a fresh reboot basically.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Doomsday may or may not have killed Superman which may or may not have caused Cyborg Superman to come and blow up Coast City which may or may not have made Hal Jordan go crazy and murder all the Green Lantern corps which may or may not have been destroyed which may or may not have left Kyle as the last Green Lantern while Hal may or may not have been the Specter after blowing himself up to reignite the sun.

yea, you know, clarifying

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Doomsday may or may not have killed Superman which may or may not have caused Cyborg Superman to come and blow up Coast City which may or may not have made Hal Jordan go crazy and murder all the Green Lantern corps which may or may not have been destroyed which may or may not have left Kyle as the last Green Lantern while Hal may or may not have been the Specter after blowing himself up to reignite the sun.

I mean it pretty much sounds like all of this happened now, yeah

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
So if they're retconning that the JL has been active for 15 years is Cyborg in his 30s now? That'd be hilarious considering they just de-aged his entire cast of friends last year once again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They could probably do something like explain he was on the Teen Titans with Dick, Roy, Garth, Donna, etc.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Roth posted:

They could probably do something like explain he was on the Teen Titans with Dick, Roy, Garth, Donna, etc.

It seems like they're sticking to the JL origin tho. Just shoving a lot of stuff in the middle.

edit: I guess this would apply to Dick, too, since he was a teenager and showed up in that JL flashback just before Rebirth!

Everyone's in their 30s-40s! Except Starfire, Raven, and Beast Boy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

So if they're retconning that the JL has been active for 15 years is Cyborg in his 30s now? That'd be hilarious considering they just de-aged his entire cast of friends last year once again.

I... don't even know anymore.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

I... don't even know anymore.

Welcome to the New Teen Titans and their 30 year old robot black friend!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So if all this stuff happened and that means the Justice Leagues have been running for 15 years does that mean Billy Batson is in his 20s now?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If they do somehow link Cyborg back to the Titans somehow, I would appreciate his friendship with Beast Boy being restored. That was one of the best things about both characters that they just completely got rid of.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

I said it before, this whole thing is just creating way more questions than it should be. They should have just left it alone. That being said it's done so go ahead and try to salvage what you can of it and anything you can write off about N52 Superman is a good thing.

All those earlier issues about Superman having to build up trust again with the Justice League seem really pointless now in hindsight since he's apparently been with them all along now.

DC just being DC and doing things seemingly impulsively now at weird rear end whims. It sucks for other writers because this feels like last minute from the top kind of mandate that they now have to scramble to make it work.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alright Geoff, there's a lot of questions and confusion here, but I'll just forget about all of it if we can have Conner Kent back and restore his friendship with Tim Drake. I'll forgive anything if you give me that back.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wasn't it Scott Lobdell who went out of his way to write about how Tim and Conner are totally not gay?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Onmi posted:

Geoff Johns is a tool. He only gives a crap about what he was writing at the time.

'Cept he did Rebirth for everyone else and went "later."
One of the reasons it could be starting to get messy now might be cause he isn't there.

Edit: You've read Omega Men, right?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 24, 2017

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Roth posted:

Wasn't it Scott Lobdell who went out of his way to write about how Tim and Conner are totally not gay?

Unless you want to retcon Steph and Cassie out of their lives I don't think outright gay fit either of them before Lobdell, either. Wouldn't surprise me if Lobdell threw in a bunch of NO HOMO moments in his awful comics, though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I meant more as in "There's no way these TOTALLY STRAIGHT guys could like each other as more than friends, none of that gay poo poo here"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just really want an issue of Super Sons where Jon and Damian have to team up with Conner and Tim. Come on DC.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

I just really want an issue of Super Sons where Jon and Damian have to team up with Conner and Tim. Come on DC.

Sounds like the OG Titans/YJ generation teamups but moved a generation down. Itself being a callback to the Teen Titans/JL crossovers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

'Cept he did Rebirth for everyone else and went "later."
One of the reasons it could be starting to get messy now might be cause he isn't there.

Edit: You've read Omega Men, right?

My first comic book character, the book that got me into comics period, was Green Lantern and Emerald Twilight. I think it's safe to say that if there's a book in which Kyle gets to star to any degree, especially if the general concensus is that it's very good, then yes, I've read it...

Well, most of it, I have missed the first few issues that I'm tracking down. I'm guessing you're bringing this up because they retold his origin again?

X-O posted:

This plox. I'd say throw in Bart, but there's no one currently at the Jon/Damien level to be a counterpart.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hopefully the big 2 get desperate enough to do another DCvMARV and the boys can team up/battle with Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Onmi posted:

This plox. I'd say throw in Bart, but there's no one currently at the Jon/Damien level to be a counterpart.

You could throw in Wally West II.

I think Iris II/Impulse would fit better in that vein, though, but no one in the world likes her but me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think either some of us are misinterpreting the series of events or I'm misinterpreting it.

From what I can understand, fifteen years ago Superman came on the scene and the Justice League was together for a while. Then Doomsday attacked and Superman died and the Justice League broke up. Then, about five years ago, the Darkseid invasion event -- or some version of that -- happened and the Justice League got back together with its current roster that includes Cyborg. So, basically, the New 52 version of the Justice League is being retconned as the most recent incarnation of the Justice League, which has actually been around before then.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I either need to start reading more comics, or fewer comics, because I am so confused.

Hopefully everything gets sorted out in the next crisis and I can pick things up then.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Hopefully everything gets sorted out in the next crisis and I can pick things up then.

Also being said by DC's writers and editors after every event.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's not that hard to get! :argh:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

I think either some of us are misinterpreting the series of events or I'm misinterpreting it.

From what I can understand, fifteen years ago Superman came on the scene and the Justice League was together for a while. Then Doomsday attacked and Superman died and the Justice League broke up. Then, about five years ago, the Darkseid invasion event -- or some version of that -- happened and the Justice League got back together with its current roster that includes Cyborg. So, basically, the New 52 version of the Justice League is being retconned as the most recent incarnation of the Justice League, which has actually been around before then.

Actually, what if the original incarnation that Superman was originally part of was the JSA?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Roth posted:

Tim and Kon's friendship has less homoerotic undertones under Lobdell. He did make them best buds with Bunker, who was openly gay and one of the best mexican characters I've seen in mainstream comics; though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Unless you want to retcon Steph and Cassie out of their lives I don't think outright gay fit either of them before Lobdell, either. Wouldn't surprise me if Lobdell threw in a bunch of NO HOMO moments in his awful comics, though.

When Kon died, Tim Drake moved Heaven and Hell to try and bring him back. He decided to break every law of science and nature to try and resurrect Superboy. And when he did finally come back his reaction was to break down and cry uncontrollably.

When it came to Stephenie Brown, he didn't even try and investigate her death and I think all he did when she came back was maybe shake her hand.

It's always been clear who Tim's one love was. (Well when they weren't doing that weird "Tim is asexual" subtext.)

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

The Question IRL posted:

When Kon died, Tim Drake moved Heaven and Hell to try and bring him back. He decided to break every law of science and nature to try and resurrect Superboy. And when he did finally come back his reaction was to break down and cry uncontrollably.

When it came to Stephenie Brown, he didn't even try and investigate her death and I think all he did when she came back was maybe shake her hand.

It's always been clear who Tim's one love was. (Well when they weren't doing that weird "Tim is asexual" subtext.)

No horse in this race, really, but given the mandated disdain for and hate of Steph by DiDio et al -- which is why she was bumped off to begin with -- I wouldn't really take Tim's non-reaction to her death, at least, as much of a sign of anything.

On Kon-El, if they ever do bring him back I hope they ditch Geoff Johns' retcon (the Luthor DNA hybrid bullshite), because that was stupid as hell and did nothing but pile pointless drama on Kon. His origin was just fine and screwed up already, he didn't need a ~Luthor connection.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I finished the first Mark Waid Flash tpb yesterday. The last issue in it was an Annual, which was part of a company-wide crossover that year. I was somewhat confused when it ended with Wally being possessed by Eclipso, with no mention of where the story was continued. :v:

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

I finished the first Mark Waid Flash tpb yesterday. The last issue in it was an Annual, which was part of a company-wide crossover that year. I was somewhat confused when it ended with Wally being possessed by Eclipso, with no mention of where the story was continued. :v:

Everything worked out alright.

The annuals from that era aren't really worth reading tbh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

But who founded the original one, Wonder Woman or Black Canary?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

But see, complexity is cool and good and doesn't at all confuse things.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

But who founded the original one, Wonder Woman or Black Canary?

Wonder Woman, who was of course Hippolyta sent back in time, duh

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Alright Geoff, there's a lot of questions and confusion here, but I'll just forget about all of it if we can have Conner Kent back and restore his friendship with Tim Drake. I'll forgive anything if you give me that back.

This but also Martian Manhunter

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
While we're asking for things, please have Rip Hunter show up and backhand Dr. Manhattan for what he did to Rip's nice clean timeline.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

While we're asking for things, please have Rip Hunter show up and backhand Dr. Manhattan for what he did to Rip's nice clean timeline.

Check the latest Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So when people were suggesting Elseworlds for me to read, no one mentioned Kingdom Come. Is it not good? I've only ever heard the premise and I liked it a lot.

Stuff like Justice Lords or Red Son where the supers finally are allowed to do something. No more status quo is god, they try to make real change with all those amazing powers they have. There's so much potential here in terms of philosophy and politics and yeah.That's what I thought KC dealt with.

But it seems like a lot of people sy it's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NikkolasKing posted:

So when people were suggesting Elseworlds for me to read, no one mentioned Kingdom Come. Is it not good? I've only ever heard the premise and I liked it a lot.

Stuff like Justice Lords or Red Son where the supers finally are allowed to do something. No more status quo is god, they try to make real change with all those amazing powers they have. There's so much potential here in terms of philosophy and politics and yeah.That's what I thought KC dealt with.

But it seems like a lot of people sy it's poo poo.

It's a great comic. I am shocked that it was not recommended as it's usually on best of lists. Marvel also tried something similar with Earth X, but that goes to poo poo real fast.