Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I bought all of those Image titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Jesus. What were we doing in 1994?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Pretty much, yeah.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Supreme #12 came out in April 94, so my guess is in July 94 we were hyping the poo poo out of the collector's market, which is why there's such an emphasis on cover artist and alternate covers in the coverage and there's so many small-run comics in the top 10.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never played any of those. I also never bought any of the books in that Top 10 though. I did read Marvels probably five or six years later though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I never played any of those.

I'm sorry for your wasted youth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry for your wasted youth.

I was actually even less into video games then than I am now, and that's saying something. I had an SNES but the only thing I ever really played was Mario. My brother was much more into video games.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Maximum Carnage owned bones because you could play as Venom, who was like a badass muscle Spider-man with big teeth, while listening to some of the sweetest butt-rock this side of Rock 'n Roll Racing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Maximum Carnage owned bones because you could play as Venom, who was like a badass muscle Spider-man with big teeth, while listening to some of the sweetest butt-rock this side of Rock 'n Roll Racing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Jesus. What were we doing in 1994?

Does anyone still have that 1994-ish Wizard layout of the top ten most popular writers and artists? I remember it being posted a few threads back and someone made this great joke about how everyone's photo made them look like stereotypical creepy 90s goons, then John Ostrander at the end looked like "a college professor's About the Author photo".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Green Jelly is definitely not butt rock.

As for what we were doing in 1994: speculating. Why, I see upwards of three college educations funded just on those two pages!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Are you sure? They have a song about poop.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Jesus Wizard, leave Whoopi Goldberg alone.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
For what it's worth here is the actual DIamond chart from July 1994

That other Top 10 is, believe it or not, the ten hottest *back issues* on the market. Even though they're almost all from the year or so prior.

I always thought it was interesting ("interesting") that Wizard was owned/operated by a family that also happened to own some comic shops and a mail order business, and they definitely did everything in their power to push the awesome collectible value of variant covers, limited edition variants, various different tiny launch books/companies that were going to be The Next Image/Spawn, etc. So when they brag about how they really pushed Gen 13 and now Gen 13 is a big hit and a terrific investment and etc. it seems like a not so subtle sales pitch to pay to run previews of your comic in Wizard, and also probably means that the Wizard of Cards or whatever their shop was called was sitting on a shitload of Wildstorm variant covers.

I doubt Bleeding Cool has any sort of hidden agenda like Wizard did, but in terms of using retailer straw polls to determine actual hotness/coldness/'loving people loving getting loving sick of loving Marvel's loving bullshit", they're pretty unreliable!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was trying to fact-check someone's claim that "Batman stabbed Joker to death in his first appearance" (incorrect), and found this sentence on a wiki.

quote:

At this point, the editors decided that only one-shot villains should commit murder, so as to not make Batman look impotent in his inability to punish such recurring foes as the Joker or the Penguin.

Write your own punchline about modern Batman comics here.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

redbackground posted:

Congrats! How long do you think it will take to convince her to dress up as Guy Gardner on your wedding night?

No, man, she dresses as Ice.

Congrats, Rhyno!

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know. Their "Three Little Pigs" video started with close-ups of butts.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Fun fact: Billy Tucci is doing a new Shi series this year through Kickstarter ("Return of the Warrior").

Also X-O, condolences on your FF3-less 1994 lifestyle.

Gavok posted:

No, man, she dresses as Ice.

Congrats, Rhyno!

Honestly, both dressing up as Guy seems more likely.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 24, 2017

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Edge & Christian posted:

For what it's worth here is the actual DIamond chart from July 1994

I'm not sure Zero Hour is a massive improvement.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
One dressed as a green lantern and the other as warrior

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Also X-O, condolences on your FF3-less 1994

I've never played a Final Fantasy, or any of those types of games, and I think my life is probably better for it. I figure that's probably many many hours I've saved.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
1994 had Doom 2, System Shock, Warcraft, SimCity 2000 and TIE Fighter.

I don't think I'd even heard of Final Fantasy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

1994 had Doom 2, System Shock, Warcraft, SimCity 2000 and TIE Fighter.

I don't think I'd even heard of Final Fantasy.

This is the good stuff

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

1994 was the best year in human history and its a complete coincidence that it happened when I was twelve years old

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
1994 was a butts year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was checking to see if Simease Dream came out in 1994 but it came out in 1993. Sorry 1994, you were so close to being cool

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I was starting college in 1994. Art school. To get a job to be like all those Top Ten comics I bought.

Innocent youth...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not a bad movie year from what I've seen*

*which is what I've remembered to add to Letterboxd.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 24, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not a bad movie year from what I've seen.

It was like comics and movies were heading in two different directions that year. Comics got stupider and more terrible, while movies were embracing the more indie gen-x vibe.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Also, I didn't have FF3/6 or an SNES in 1994, but I did get my mum to buy me a Sega 32X :cool:

edit: Never mind. That must've been early '95 over here.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 24, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hell yeah D2

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not a bad movie year from what I've seen*

*which is what I've remembered to add to Letterboxd.

It was even better for music.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I mean, if you cherrypick things 1994 featured:

Dark Horse was publishing Sin City, Martha Washington, Madman, Eddie Campbell's Bacchus, Concrete, Flaming Carrot, the Tale of One Bad Rat, Badger, Grendel, Instant Piano, and a debuting book called Hellboy.

DC had James Robinson and Tony Harris on Starman, Ostrander/Mandrake's Spectre, Ennis/McCrea on Demon, Waid/Wieringo on Flash, plus Sandman, Shade, Ennis Hellblazer, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Books of Magic and the Invisibles at Vertgo. Milestone was hitting its stride with year 2 of its core four titles and adding new titles including Xombi.

You also had the debut of Acme Novelty Library, new issues of Eightball, Hate, Naughty Bits, Love & Rockets, Milk & Cheese, Dork, Optic Nerve, Jim, AKA Goldfish, probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting.

Marvel and the big properties at DC were pretty much a mess, but in terms of films The Flintstones Movie and Santa Clause were Top 10 box office draws, the top songs of 1994 were by Ace of Base, All-4-One, and Celine Dion, etc.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Some extremely great rap came out in 1994

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Edge & Christian posted:

Dark Horse was publishing Sin City, Martha Washington, Madman, Eddie Campbell's Bacchus, Concrete, Flaming Carrot, the Tale of One Bad Rat, Badger, Grendel, Instant Piano, and a debuting book called Hellboy.

DC had James Robinson and Tony Harris on Starman, Ostrander/Mandrake's Spectre, Ennis/McCrea on Demon, Waid/Wieringo on Flash, plus Sandman, Shade, Ennis Hellblazer, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Books of Magic and the Invisibles at Vertgo. Milestone was hitting its stride with year 2 of its core four titles and adding new titles including Xombi.

You also had the debut of Acme Novelty Library, new issues of Eightball, Hate, Naughty Bits, Love & Rockets, Milk & Cheese, Dork, Optic Nerve, Jim, AKA Goldfish, probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting.

Marvel and the big properties at DC were pretty much a mess, but in terms of films The Flintstones Movie and Santa Clause were Top 10 box office draws, the top songs of 1994 were by Ace of Base, All-4-One, and Celine Dion, etc.

It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken was also getting serialized, Underwater started, and there was a really good stretch of Bone. And to be totally fair to Marvel Generation X started strong I think.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

This is an accurate representation of my 1994.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Archyduke posted:

And to be totally fair to Marvel Generation X started strong I think.

It did. Bachelo's art was delightful and Lobdell's writing wasn't bad either. Even the next team, Hama and Dodson, did a decent job. It wasn't until after that run that it started to decline.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah. A lot of people point to the 90's as the height of capes and pouches and foil covers and gimmicks but it was also a stellar time for the indie and semi-indie scene. All those Slave Labor and Fanta books and lots of self-publishers. Even those Dark Horse books you mentioned were pretty indie or at least a step in a different dimensions.

The time spawned (no pun intended) a lot of creators to flex outside the Bam-Bif-Pow confines.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I've managed to find a comic book solicitation where the involvement of somebody with the last name "Jackendoff" is not even close to the most embarrassing part.

From Marvel's June solicitations:

quote:

BLACK EYED PEAS: MASTERS OF THE SUN – THE ZOMBIE CHRONICLES TPB
WRITTEN BY will.i.am & BENJAMIN JACKENDOFF
PENCILED BY DAMION SCOTT
COVER BY will.i.am

From the mind of Will.i.am comes this retro futuristic B-Boy Zombie Thriller, fusing together the unlikeliest of genres with ease!

Masters Of The Sun mixes L.A. Gang culture, B-Boy-ism and Egyptology to tell the heroic tale of a Hip-Hop group from East L.A. who must battle an ancient, alien God sent to earth to continue a Black Curse which turns drug dealers and gangsters into zombies. With a deep love of the Hip-Hop culture, Zulu-X and his crew go head-to-head with a nefarious ancient order that has infiltrated the inner cities to settle an ancient score. What happens next can only be described as the perfect blend of action, ancient wisdom and street-smarts all rolled into one epic adventure. Boasting one of the most eclectic ensemble cast of characters, Masters of The Sun delivers a powerful social allegory in the form of a new movement... #stayWOKE!!!

120 PGS./Parental Advisory …$24.99

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read the first volume of Snotgirl, and really liked it. It's kinda like that manga No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!, in that the main character is genuinely kind of a lovely person and a gently caress up, and most of her problems are of her own creation, but you still end up rooting for her at least a little. And the mystery is really interesting too.

I was pretty meh on Scott Pilgrim, so I'm surprised at how much I like Snotgirl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

I read the first volume of Snotgirl, and really liked it. It's kinda like that manga No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!, in that the main character is genuinely kind of a lovely person and a gently caress up, and most of her problems are of her own creation, but you still end up rooting for her at least a little. And the mystery is really interesting too.

I was pretty meh on Scott Pilgrim, so I'm surprised at how much I like Snotgirl

I quite liked Minutes so give that a shot.

• Locked thread