Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm almost tempted to buy Amazon stock, and what's holding me back is Bezos being a madman

He'll gently caress it all up at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Either Bezos will gently caress it all up or he'll get forced out and Amazon will scale back into being something less ambitious but more dependably profitable. Then some other broken Henry Ford wannabe will "disrupt" online retail and the cycle will begin anew.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Amazon can gently caress up everything they have in the retail market and still make hand over fist in the cloud. They loving own the cloud. You hear people talk about some other ones (GCE, Azure, etc) but if someone says "AWS" you know exactly what they're talking about.

They could shut down amazon.com tomorrow and still have a business that almost anyone else would kill for. Buying their stock isn't a bad idea.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Yea Amazon has the whole data as a service niche on lock, and making a lot of headway into the VOD market with Amazon Prime Video and Twitch. It's like how Samsung were able to recover from their Note 7 disaster due to the video panels and memory chips business. You should totally buy some Twitter stock though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bezos most definitely does not give a poo poo about your day.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

RevKrule posted:

Amazon can gently caress up everything they have in the retail market and still make hand over fist in the cloud. They loving own the cloud. You hear people talk about some other ones (GCE, Azure, etc) but if someone says "AWS" you know exactly what they're talking about.

They could shut down amazon.com tomorrow and still have a business that almost anyone else would kill for. Buying their stock isn't a bad idea.

Ive regretted never buying in when the price was a sky high $480/share. Now it is $902!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

Ive regretted never buying in when the price was a sky high $480/share. Now it is $902!

Don't worry, the whole market is overdue for a crash correction.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
They are a market darling and there's no reason to believe that stock is going to collapse, though it is past the point of being a growth stock (hard to buy in to that growth at current share prices anyway) and they don't pay dividends, so I am not sure why non-institutional investors would buy them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Saw a bunch of new posts about cutting cab-

:yikes:

On topic: Has there been any mention of when the DTVN app is coming to Roku? Because holy poo poo FireTV is garbage.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

On topic: Has there been any mention of when the DTVN app is coming to Roku? Because holy poo poo FireTV is garbage.

My personal stance on DTVN is, unless they have that one (or two, etc.) channels that no one else does and you absolutely have to have those, you are Doing It Wrong. I know they have improved since their poo poo launch, depending on area, but in my experience out of Sling, Vue, and DTVN the latter is the worst. Youtube TV may or may not become a player as they expand but I am a little wary of "Google owns me, everywhere" regardless.

If you can manage decent reception, using an HDHR with something like Live Channels (Android) or the Channels app (ATV) for local stations, combined with Sling, Hulu, or whatever for back catalog and "cable tier" channels like AMC, and then Netflix, Prime Video, whatever thrown on top for even more back catalog and originals (pick your poison) is the best cord-cutting solution you can do today. When taxes are factored in (at least for now) you'll still save more over buying cable/sat packages and you have more control over what you want - not to mention the option to start and stop pieces as you see fit.

Some of the above is "cable with buffering" sure, but it's the level of control you have that counts.

To answer your question directly I don't think there has been any update on Roku availability for DTVN.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ixian posted:

My personal stance on DTVN is, unless they have that one (or two, etc.) channels that no one else does and you absolutely have to have those, you are Doing It Wrong. I know they have improved since their poo poo launch, depending on area, but in my experience out of Sling, Vue, and DTVN the latter is the worst. Youtube TV may or may not become a player as they expand but I am a little wary of "Google owns me, everywhere" regardless.

If you can manage decent reception, using an HDHR with something like Live Channels (Android) or the Channels app (ATV) for local stations, combined with Sling, Hulu, or whatever for back catalog and "cable tier" channels like AMC, and then Netflix, Prime Video, whatever thrown on top for even more back catalog and originals (pick your poison) is the best cord-cutting solution you can do today. When taxes are factored in (at least for now) you'll still save more over buying cable/sat packages and you have more control over what you want - not to mention the option to start and stop pieces as you see fit.

Some of the above is "cable with buffering" sure, but it's the level of control you have that counts.

To answer your question directly I don't think there has been any update on Roku availability for DTVN.

I don't really care to hear yet more opinions on whether it's good or not, as happens every 3 pages in this thread. Dirt cheap HBO and it has Comedy Central are all that matter for us. I just need to know when the Roku app is coming so I can get rid of the extra device that overly complicates our setup too the point where my fiancee manages to pick the wrong device at least once a week and my parents would straight up be a lost cause having to swap between apps.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 12, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fuzz posted:

No word yet. It's on the PlayOn channels so I think some people are getting it on Roku that way for now, or casting it if you have a compatible app/browser.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I don't really care to hear yet more opinions on whether it's good or not, as happens every 3 pages in this thread. Dirt cheap HBO and it has Comedy Central are all that matter for us. I just need to know when the Roku app is coming so I can get rid of the extra device that overly complicates our setup too the point where my fiancee manages to pick the wrong device at least once a week and my parents would straight up be a lost cause having to swap between apps.

The fact that it suits your needs doesn't change that DTVN is trash.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So Sling.TV now has DVR. Anyone here try it yet, and if so, what are your impressions?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

No one knows. When I had it it worked best on the ATV. DTVN on the FireTV was a double-dose of dogshit. Maybe they are trying to get the next one right.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Is there a way to tell if those DirecTV NOW accounts are grandfathered in to the intro rate forever? I had a friend give me one that he never used and was too lazy to cancel. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it or not; $35 forever is great but if it goes up to $60 at some point, I'm not really into that.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TheScott2K posted:

Meh, I've been using it since launch without any issues and my only real complaint is no DVR.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EdsTeioh posted:

Is there a way to tell if those DirecTV NOW accounts are grandfathered in to the intro rate forever? I had a friend give me one that he never used and was too lazy to cancel. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it or not; $35 forever is great but if it goes up to $60 at some point, I'm not really into that.

So cancel it if it goes up to 60?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

TheScott2K posted:

So cancel it if it goes up to 60?

That's probably the most logical solution, lol. Wasn't sure if there was some sort of tag on the billing or anything, though. Looks like it was activated in December, so I guess that's before the rate change. Gonna hang on to it and see how we like it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So how much data do you guys use on average? We're thinking about going with a Roku/PSVue/antenna, and we've got a 1TB cap with Uverse.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We only stream in our household. We also stream live hd events on a regular basis. My daughters watch cartoons regularly (sometimes it is just on in the back ground).

We have a 999 GB cap and have reached 700 GB at most.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 14, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EdsTeioh posted:

They have said that price is good for as long as you have the account. They did say that they may have price changes in the future if programming costs change but that it would be based off the $35 price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

But it does. It literally does.

DTVN is fine btw.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Having gone through the various offerings, DTVN and Sling TV are the only two that offer the channels I want, and Sling is $15 more expensive.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We only stream in our household. We also stream live had events on a regular basis. My daughters watch cartoons regularly (sometimes it is just on in the back ground).

We have a 999 GB cap and have reached 700 GB at most.

I checked our uverse data usage, and even with the TV running for hours a day, plus online gaming 2-3 days a week, we've only ever gone over 400Gb a few times. And that was when my wife and son are on summer vacation and the TV is on most of the day as background like you said.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I just cancelled my DTVN subscription after 4 months. Had the sweet $35 intro price and $5 HBO, but all I ended up watching was HBO. I maybe used it for about 1 hour a week besides that. I guess it turns out that most tv is poo poo after all. DTVN actually worked pretty good on my FireTV (non-stick). Three times I actually let it run for about 5 hours straight and it was perfect.

E: I still have Amazon Prime and Netflix, and I might pick up HBONOW when GoT comes back on.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 17, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
As a recent cord cutter and new PS Vue user only have 2 real complaints. First that Roku PS Vue app has no guide. How in the gently caress is this possible? Second is that the streaming performance of the PS Vue app on my PS Pro is not good. It skips frames (ever so choppy), but only at the point that you are no sure if it really is skipping frames or you are going insane. Yes it is on WiFi (Nighthawk router with 150mbs down), but my PS Pro streams Netflix and Amazon perfectly. Oh Sony! That said on my AppleTV PS Vue is perfect (the app and streaming). Thinking about taking the Roku back, and either getting another AppleTV or the Fire TV.

That said how is the Sling app on Roku (I still testing out which streaming service I am sticking with)? Does it have a guide?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

nate fisher posted:

As a recent cord cutter and new PS Vue user only have 2 real complaints. First that Roku PS Vue app has no guide. How in the gently caress is this possible? Second is that the streaming performance of the PS Vue app on my PS Pro is not good. It skips frames (ever so choppy), but only at the point that you are no sure if it really is skipping frames or you are going insane. Yes it is on WiFi (Nighthawk router with 150mbs down), but my PS Pro streams Netflix and Amazon perfectly. Oh Sony! That said on my AppleTV PS Vue is perfect (the app and streaming). Thinking about taking the Roku back, and either getting another AppleTV or the Fire TV.

That said how is the Sling app on Roku (I still testing out which streaming service I am sticking with)? Does it have a guide?

I noticed the same thing. When using Vue on my PS4 there is that ever so slight chop. When I use the Vue App and Chromecast it to the same tv... smooth as ever. The app needs to be better though. Too slow.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Speaking of which, when is that Roku UI refresh supposed to be coming? I thought it was supposed to be earlier this year?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My wife and I are moving in a week and we finally get to leave U-Verse and go back to Charter/Spectrum and their delicious uncapped cable goodness.

I was looking at Playstation Vue's channel packages and they're all right up our alley, except for no Viacom channels so we lose Comedy Central, which is a dealbreaker. :( If we did want to try Vue, what's a good way to stream Comedy Central shows? We're mostly interested in South Park, and I also watch @Midnight which I know I can view on CC's website. There are a handful of other shows we're interested in like Broad City and Another Period, but we don't know when they're airing new episodes anyway.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

My wife and I are moving in a week and we finally get to leave U-Verse and go back to Charter/Spectrum and their delicious uncapped cable goodness.

I was looking at Playstation Vue's channel packages and they're all right up our alley, except for no Viacom channels so we lose Comedy Central, which is a dealbreaker. :( If we did want to try Vue, what's a good way to stream Comedy Central shows? We're mostly interested in South Park, and I also watch @Midnight which I know I can view on CC's website. There are a handful of other shows we're interested in like Broad City and Another Period, but we don't know when they're airing new episodes anyway.

Did they lock down South Park Studios site? At one point all the episodes were available, IIRC.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
You have to subscribe to a provider and have Comedy Central in your channels package to use the CC app. Same goes for FX. I think there's a trial option where you can use it for X hours.

I don't know why they can't let just anyone stream with the app if there's going to be commercials. Would it cut into the fees they get from providers?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

We just started using Roku and PSVue last week and it's pretty great. I'm calling ATT to cancel our Uverse TV service this afternoon. I'm interested to see how badly they want to keep us.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

nate fisher posted:

Sling app on Roku works well. It has a guide.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

We just started using Roku and PSVue last week and it's pretty great. I'm calling ATT to cancel our Uverse TV service this afternoon. I'm interested to see how badly they want to keep us.

If they're anything like how they were when I called to cancel completely, expect them to all but beg to keep you. On the other hand, if you're not switching internet providers, they might go easy on you. Maybe.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Did PS Vue ever get the Viacom channels back?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Did PS Vue ever get the Viacom channels back?

No, and in fact I was just talking about this a few posts up. It would make everything so much easier for us.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

a mysterious cloak posted:

As someone who has switched several times between DTV and Comcast (almost every 2 years), and who just canceled Comcast TV I have an easy way to get out. Tell them that your spouse has just gotten job with Comcast/Charter/DTV/or whatever company they are not, and you are now getting free cable/satellite. Every time I do that they are like "Well I guess we can't beat that!", and I'm off the phone in minutes with no hassle.

Also as someone who also just did the same thing (Roku w/PS Vue) you need to check the PS Vue app out on Fire TV or AppleTV. It is so much better when it comes to watching live TV (it has an actual guide).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've got a situation that I need some peer review on.

My shut-in disabled mom finally got tired of paying Comcast and went all in on Sling. The problem is she still wants some local channels, including the PBS stations. I got her a flat leaf HD antennas and sure enough it gets ION, QVC, some Spanish language television, but nothing else. So now I'm looking at an attic antenna which I would point southeast to where all the good stuff is.

The problem is I don't know how to snake cable and she's going to give up fast the more complex this gets. The house has two levels and she never goes upstairs (disabled) so I'm thinking I wire it from the attic to one of the upstairs bedrooms with a coax connection. I don't know much about coax, but from what I recall there's a box somewhere all the individual RJ-6 leads terminate to become one network. Which means I should be able to isolate the coax in her sunroom and bedroom onto the same 'network' as the bedroom upstairs that I connect the antenna to. She gets her internet from a jack in a different room, so hopefully this won't mess with that.

There would be exposed cabling upstairs, but no one goes up there so I just need it to not be a hazard instead of 'pretty' or 'professional'.

Distance-wise we're probably looking at 30 to 40 feet from attic to upstairs outlet. Which means I'd probably need an amp. She's 27 to 30 miles from these towers and her home is right near the northbound interstate, but TVFool still says she'd need an outdoor roof antenna to get all the channels she wants. That's not going to happen without a professional, so I'm trying to keep this option's cost down to about $100 with coax, antenna, and amp to minimize the financial risk.

Also, I read that the TV tuner's in some small televisions aren't that good. Would an external digital TV tuner paired with the antenna possibly pull in extra channels?

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Cancelation was surprisingly easy. Was on the phone for 10 minutes at most, and the guy offered me "significant discounts" of $20! I basically just told him we didn't want cable any more, he tried the soft sell, I declined, they shut it off.

STB goes back tomorrow, hallelujah.