Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just give me a Dacia and a level 3 helmet, then pray for the rest of the server.

Why fire a few ounces bullet 2,000 mph when you can fire a 2 ton car 100 mph at someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Futuresight posted:

The entire tone of the game would need to be built around uneasy alliances for mid-match teaming to be acceptable to players. Or at the very least not having team queues.

My squad has had a few instances of mid game team ups and they've all been hilarious. Usually comes about in towns where my squad and another squad have a particularly violent clash with casualties on both sides and then a fresh squad shows up to vulture both of us.

You'd be surprised how many people are up to team up in a truce to waste players like that. All it takes is attempting to talk to them.

e- Also my pro setup is

minimum

M16/AKM w/ red dot (60 rounds)
S1897 w/ choke (20 rounds)
lvl 1 helmet
lvl 2 vest
lvl 2 bag
1 med kit
10 bandages
2 energy drinks

maximum

SKS w/ 4x (as much ammo as I can carry)
UMP w/ angled, ext. quickdraw, red dot, suppressor
lvl 2 helmet
lvl 2 vest
lvl 2 bag
all the meds I can carry

Finding lvl 3 armor is a bonus, and if I can't get an SKS an AKM or M16 will do

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 24, 2017

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Jerkface posted:

Whats the ideal 2 weapon setup? Rifle + Shotgun? Double Rifle?

One sniper rifle with an 8x zoom, one automatic rifle with a 2x. Generally ARs will beat shotguns at close range unless your opponent is super duper close or a crack shot, neither of which is very likely. In addition most close-quarters stuff happens early game and if you're in the top 20 you are probably going to be fighting in an open field, making close range weapons completely useless.

For snipers, I like the Kar the best. The first shot is the most important and is usually the only "clean" shot (i.e the guy isn't loving legging it away from the bullets) so the damage is front-loaded rather than the SKS which can give them much longer to escape. For ARs either the M4 or SCAR both work fine.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

Jerkface posted:

Whats the ideal 2 weapon setup? Rifle + Shotgun? Double Rifle?

Ranged weapon, and house clearing/panic weapon. Whatever your specific preference/luck finding may be.

That could be a sniper and a shotgun, could be SMG and an AR, or any variation thereof.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Any AR with at least a 4x scope and a suppressor, body armor/helmet, as many first aid kits and painkillers as possible, a choked over under shotgun with bullet loops, smoke grenades, frag grenades, and a dacia. That is my ideal end game kit. Getting a suppressed longarm means you can poke people at long range at relatively low risk, and when the circle starts to get tight you can assault ideal positions with your dacia, hop out, and blast them with the shotgun for the lowest time to kill out of any of the weapons. The only time the shotgun will fail you is if you miss your shots, and that is totally your fault for missing a killing blow with a shotgun at low ranges.

If the game comes down to just a few people, that's when the grenades become the thing that can win or lose matches for you. The first person to land a good grenade will usually be the winner once the circle gets really tight if you can't break the stalemate before that point.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
My regular squad refuses to use 8x scopes on ARs and always leave that to me. What do? How can I make them understand that an AR w/8x is a decent substitute for an SKS or a sniper?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

My regular squad refuses to use 8x scopes on ARs and always leave that to me. What do? How can I make them understand that an AR w/8x is a decent substitute for an SKS or a sniper?

Get kills

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I personally just don't like the 8x or higher because I can't ever actually hit anything at those ranges. I've tried leading, I've tried accounting for bullet drop, I don't know if it is lag or what, but my squad mates are always better off if I have a normal scope.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i would do well to remember that trying to nade in a firefight is a guaranteed way to get myself killed

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I personally just don't like the 8x or higher because I can't ever actually hit anything at those ranges. I've tried leading, I've tried accounting for bullet drop, I don't know if it is lag or what, but my squad mates are always better off if I have a normal scope.

Yeah I'm not a fan of 8x either. I can use a red dot or an ACOG at higher ranges, but good luck trying to use an 8x at shorter ranges. That's no bueno

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this game is insanely good

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

I do though!

El_Funko posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of 8x either. I can use a red dot or an ACOG at higher ranges, but good luck trying to use an 8x at shorter ranges. That's no bueno

I'm not saying to use an 8x at medium range, I'm saying my squad isn't even using it for stationary targets at extreme ranges.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
Playing with goons and spectator mode provided a horrifying look inside on of their heads:

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

I'm not saying to use an 8x at medium range, I'm saying my squad isn't even using it for stationary targets at extreme ranges.

Oh for sure, if I have a sniper rifle I'll throw an 8x on it, but I'll take a 4x if I have the choice.

I'll often carry both if I can, if I need an 8x to aim at someone, I'll usually have enough time to switch it up on the fly.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Tried the game, it's good stuff except every first game doesn't load right and I can hear the plane then myself landing but the screen is still hidden by a loading screen. Other times, when it does load, buildings still take a minute to become more than misshapen boxes.

So, is it time for an ssd or is 8 gigs of RAM not enough?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Both would help a ton, SSD would help more.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Det_no posted:

Tried the game, it's good stuff except every first game doesn't load right and I can hear the plane then myself landing but the screen is still hidden by a loading screen. Other times, when it does load, buildings still take a minute to become more than misshapen boxes.

So, is it time for an ssd or is 8 gigs of RAM not enough?

I just got it tonight and I'm on an i5 3570k with 8 gb of 1333 ram.

Game is a ton of fun. I would love to play it with a 4 player squad. I've had the game lock up post game and a couple times when I parachute in the buildings all look like they're melted and I can't go in any of them. It does clear itself up and hasn't happened every game though.

Add me on steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/WhaleCancer

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
There is a discord link in the 2nd line of the OP for all you new people. That's the best way to find groups.

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
I wouldn't be surprised that the grenade went off course since your throwing arm was clipped into the railing behind ya.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Whale Cancer posted:

I just got it tonight and I'm on an i5 3570k with 8 gb of 1333 ram.

Game is a ton of fun. I would love to play it with a 4 player squad. I've had the game lock up post game and a couple times when I parachute in the buildings all look like they're melted and I can't go in any of them. It does clear itself up and hasn't happened every game though.

Add me on steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/WhaleCancer

You should get 16GB of faster RAM and overclock your processor.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

:aslol: We had something similar happen last night. Someone tried to throw one out the window of the car and it just kinda landed in the car and killed us all.

It's the first time I've seen someone killed with a grenade :allears: (they're terrible)

I was playing in a game with a drunk idiot who just held a grenade until he cooked it off in the car. It must've looked hilarious from the outside.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Orv posted:

Both would help a ton, SSD would help more.

Well, had a good deal on some used RAM so I ended up buying that first. Hopefully it helps.

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
Holy hell. Is anyone else getting the bug where the first attempt at reloading does nothing? I happens most frequently with early game lag.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

zipzilchzero posted:

Holy hell. Is anyone else getting the bug where the first attempt at reloading does nothing? I happens most frequently with early game lag.

yeah, switching then reloading fixes it but it's annoying.
When i did it last night i found a hilarious bug, i was mid-reloading a revolver and stowed it away, and for the rest of the game you could hear the reloading sound of bullets pinging on the ground wherever i walked.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zipzilchzero posted:

It usually happens to weapons where each shell is loaded individually, eg, shotguns, the revolver, etc.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Party Plane Jones posted:

It usually happens to weapons where each shell is loaded individually, eg, shotguns, the revolver, etc.

It seems to happen to any weapon with me, but the individual load ones are the most problematic because it doesn't end until you switch. This has definitely lead to me dying more than a few times. Fortunately this bug has been recognized by the dev team and hopefully they'll fix it soon.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It happens frequently enough, I think it is more likely to happen if you're doing some other inventory manipulation when trying to load the weapon, or if you begin reloading it very soon after picking it up. Though really it's probably related to desync in some manner.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I just had a round where I landed in A Bad Situation all the way on the other side of the map from the safe zone along with three other folks whom quickly were executed. I basically booked it on foot across literally the entire map spending about 10 full minutes in the blue just constantly eating bandaids and medkits and ended up in 10th place only dying because i was reloading the drop-in sniper rifle right on the edge of the top right ruins.

This is a good game

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Worst shot I've encountered so far goes to this guy:
https://streamable.com/m7oer

I should have been dead.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 24, 2017

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I quite like the 8x on an M16 tbh (used as my long range gun ofc. I will inventory juggle if I don't have a better gun for close combat). It makes it super easy to land 2 very fast head shots.
However, I hate the x2 scope and will use a red dot/holo over it on anything but the sniper rifles (if I don't have x4 or above yet).

Anyone else feel like the SKS have gotten stealth fixed? After this update I have actually managed to use it effectively and might actually use it over an M16 now (the KAR is ofc still king).

I also agree with other poster praising SMGs (especially the UMP). I loving love that thing now at close to mid ranges and will probably pick it over any of the ARs. It has won me a few games now.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

busb posted:

yeah, switching then reloading fixes it but it's annoying.
When i did it last night i found a hilarious bug, i was mid-reloading a revolver and stowed it away, and for the rest of the game you could hear the reloading sound of bullets pinging on the ground wherever i walked.

I best someone to death with a frying pan after he missed 5/7 shots with the revolver then proceeded to try and reload for 5m with nothing while I beat him. The funniest part was he was beside a 1911 with ammo and i dunno why he didn't use that instead.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I only had the pleasure of using a fully pimped Vector in two matches but that poo poo is boss, the near zero recoil and the mad fire rate just make it so easy to kill poo poo with it it's ridiculous.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Last night I dropped in on the apartment buildings near the school when I noticed one poor bastard landing on the same roof as me. I managed to nab a machete right off the bat and start chasing this guy throughout the whole complex. He's circling rusted out cars, tearing through buildings, all with me in hot pursuit wildly swinging a giant blade inches from his face and screaming like a deranged lunatic.

Desperate to lose me he exploded into a building. I'm sad to say that the instant he smashed through the door he caught a point blank face full of buckshot from a 686, showering me with brains and bits of skull. Furious that this dude just horned in and blasted my hard earned kill, I proceeded to hack him death while he clumsily reloaded, wailing like a banshee.

Game is good.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
https://clips.twitch.tv/HealthyKawaiiTortoiseChocolateRain

Everyone I play with says they've never died to the red. IT HAPPENS! Its happened to me 3 times. Consider this a PSA.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
I didn't look very hard in this thread to see if this has been posted already but the trick to get down super fast is holding down W until it's just above the white part of the bar and then letting go, you'll skip a 3rd of the parachute time and have a lot more speed heading towards the ground.

The vector is also super op at the time of posting this, relatively easy to find a suppressor for and does good things at short-medium range.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Simon Numbers posted:

I didn't look very hard in this thread to see if this has been posted already but the trick to get down super fast is holding down W until it's just above the white part of the bar and then letting go, you'll skip a 3rd of the parachute time and have a lot more speed heading towards the ground.

The vector is also super op at the time of posting this, relatively easy to find a suppressor for and does good things at short-medium range.

Does that parachute thing work at any speed? Generally if I just fly forward first and then dive in the end I can each 230 or whatever the magic number is which lets me kinda of continue falling while the chute is deploying. You are saying that letting go of W will do that for any speed? :)

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
It's my understanding that to get the best distance when doing a long jump, you should deploy as soon as you can, then pump W so that your descending speed is 45-50km/h. Then you can go about 2km (2 of the big yellow squares). A good tactic to get away from the mobs.

Huh, that's that vidya games commentator - think she was involved in the BF1 launch events. Funny to see her being unprofessional and swearing.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Does that parachute thing work at any speed? Generally if I just fly forward first and then dive in the end I can each 230 or whatever the magic number is which lets me kinda of continue falling while the chute is deploying. You are saying that letting go of W will do that for any speed? :)

over 200 seems to be the sweet spot for me, have only failed a few times over that speed.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

It's my understanding that to get the best distance when doing a long jump, you should deploy as soon as you can, then pump W so that your descending speed is 45-50km/h. Then you can go about 2km (2 of the big yellow squares). A good tactic to get away from the mobs.

Yeah that works but you'll still get places a lot faster going for a vehicle, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage parachuting that long.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Simon Numbers posted:

Yeah that works but you'll still get places a lot faster going for a vehicle, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage parachuting that long.

The parachute extension method is best used to get to lower populated areas, not distant cities. You want to get to the small groups of houses and avoid possibly landing near people who also want that car to get away.

If you use it in that fashion, it works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I don't think I've ever intentionally set foot in pochinki or rozhok. Is either town actually worth fighting in or is "long parachute or car/boat to zharki/lipovka/primorsk/novo" better

• Locked thread