Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

10/10 for effort but I would call a professional in to fumigate and seal up any holes. Especially with kids involved.

The wife gets freaked out when ants find their way in so I cannot imagine what a horde of cockroaches would do to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I want to move when I see a spider in my room. Good god.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Godfuckingdamnit, I have a huge phobia of roaches I've lived in 2 places that were absolutely infested - once as a child (which is probably where the phobia came from), once in my 20s.

My skin is crawling now. Thanks. :cry:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 24, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Have you been rude to any old gypsy women recently?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

InitialDave posted:

Have you been rude to any old gypsy women recently?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That comic is a favourite of mine, a huge chunk of my working life could be explained thus.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Okay so I've been fighting the most nightmarish battle of my adult era.

It's been warming up quickly in Phoenix, and I've gotten into the habit of drunkenly mowing the lawn in the middle of the night (push mower, don't worry about the neighbors). However, two weeks ago, I went out with my headlamp and push mower as usual, and noticed that the ground underneath the fallen leaves was...moving.

Cockroaches! Thousands of them! The entire yard, especially on one side of the house, was a carpet of cockroaches. Terrifying! I ended up running inside, and pondering my options. I mean, I had seen one or two before, in the garage when turning on the light, but I thought a bug-bomb had taken care of them. Apparently not. There is a tree that, in this season, is dropping tiny leaves all over the lawn, and also apparently, dead/dying leaves are the perfect environment for them.

Two nights ago, I had one crawl over my arm while in the bedroom, right after doing an adult activity. I lost. my. poo poo.

The past two days, I have spent $200 or so at Home Depot and other places, buying boric acid powder, sprays, fumigators, and poison pills. I also bought two different bags of insecticide, and a little crank-powered fertilizer spreader.

I spread the two types of insecticide all around the house, put boric acid piles in all the inside and outside corners of every room and the exterior wall, lined the windowsills and door sills with the same boric acid, and put the clear gel-type poison all around the edges of every cabinet and appliance in the kitchen. I also threw those (I'm assuming boric acid and permetherin) bait/poison pills in the backs of every drawer and cabinet, and also behind every appliance.

The past 48 hours have been a shitshow. Starting that night, every insect, including cockroach, has attempted to take refuge inside the house. I saw cockroaches (read: multiple within 20 minutes) scurry across the concrete rear patio, in broad daylight in the open, straight for the rear house wall. This morning, I swept maybe 200 dead cockroaches from the rear patio concrete into a big pile of boric acid powder, and this afternoon I did the same to another 50. Tonight, right now, 6 hours later, there are maybe 50 more dead on the rear patio alone. I have killed maybe 10 earwigs or earwig-style bugs on the living room wall. There are spiders in every room. Last night, 18 hours after application of the insecticide, there was an arizona bark scorpion that came of of the ceiling vent in the kids' room.

My life is a living hell.

What species of cockroach? There are some that aren't necessarily related to hygiene, but if they are German roaches you might want to figure out the source. It's not leaves, it's someone else's trash pile.

Also doyourownpestcontrol.com for the good stuff.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nope nope nope.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I came to this here town with seven dolers stitched in of my panse and do not intend to go any drat plase until someone tell me where in Hel is my dolers

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

It's been warming up quickly in Phoenix, and I've gotten into the habit of drunkenly mowing the lawn in the middle of the night (push mower, don't worry about the neighbors). However, two weeks ago, I went out with my headlamp and push mower as usual, and noticed that the ground underneath the fallen leaves was...moving.

Cockroaches! Thousands of them! The entire yard, especially on one side of the house, was a carpet of cockroaches. Terrifying! I ended up running inside, and pondering my options. I mean, I had seen one or two before, in the garage when turning on the light, but I thought a bug-bomb had taken care of them. Apparently not. There is a tree that, in this season, is dropping tiny leaves all over the lawn, and also apparently, dead/dying leaves are the perfect environment for them.

Two nights ago, I had one crawl over my arm while in the bedroom, right after doing an adult activity. I lost. my. poo poo.

The past two days, I have spent $200 or so at Home Depot and other places, buying boric acid powder, sprays, fumigators, and poison pills. I also bought two different bags of insecticide, and a little crank-powered fertilizer spreader.

I spread the two types of insecticide all around the house, put boric acid piles in all the inside and outside corners of every room and the exterior wall, lined the windowsills and door sills with the same boric acid, and put the clear gel-type poison all around the edges of every cabinet and appliance in the kitchen. I also threw those (I'm assuming boric acid and permetherin) bait/poison pills in the backs of every drawer and cabinet, and also behind every appliance.

The past 48 hours have been a shitshow. Starting that night, every insect, including cockroach, has attempted to take refuge inside the house. I saw cockroaches (read: multiple within 20 minutes) scurry across the concrete rear patio, in broad daylight in the open, straight for the rear house wall. This morning, I swept maybe 200 dead cockroaches from the rear patio concrete into a big pile of boric acid powder, and this afternoon I did the same to another 50. Tonight, right now, 6 hours later, there are maybe 50 more dead on the rear patio alone. I have killed maybe 10 earwigs or earwig-style bugs on the living room wall. There are spiders in every room. Last night, 18 hours after application of the insecticide, there was an arizona bark scorpion that came of of the ceiling vent in the kids' room.

Lol where did you find this?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Set skin crawl factor to maximum :kingsley:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Just leave. The house belongs to the bugs now

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Cats are your best solution. A few months and it's like what cockroaches?

GOTG 2 -

To be honest, lower your expectations. It's not lightning in the bottle like the first one. It's different as well. Basically, it's a second tier Marvel movie - good to very good, needs a rewatch to really grok it (and probably more enjoyable like Marvel movies tend to be second time around) but it's just not quite first tier like Winter Soldier or GOTG 1.

It doesnt mean you shouldnt see it. You should. Just temper expectations a bit as it just doesnt have for instance that amazing opening like GOTG does.

8/10, deserves your money.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nice, I'm going to an early viewing of it next Weds.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Cats are your best solution. A few months and it's like what cockroaches?

GOTG 2 -

To be honest, lower your expectations. It's not lightning in the bottle like the first one. It's different as well. Basically, it's a second tier Marvel movie - good to very good, needs a rewatch to really grok it (and probably more enjoyable like Marvel movies tend to be second time around) but it's just not quite first tier like Winter Soldier or GOTG 1.

It doesnt mean you shouldnt see it. You should. Just temper expectations a bit as it just doesnt have for instance that amazing opening like GOTG does.

Oh poo poo, didn't realise that was out anytime soon. With any luck it'll run for a week in Katoomba in about 4 months time :rolleyes:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Welcome to Geir's apartment...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slothrop posted:

Oh poo poo, didn't realise that was out anytime soon. With any luck it'll run for a week in Katoomba in about 4 months time :rolleyes:

Your in luck, playing at The Edge this week

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, if was kind of a garbage weekend.

Saturday I went over to my folks to reinstall their mower blade since they just had it sharpened. Turns out, the keyed adapter that mates the motor shaft to the blade was broken. Ordered a new one for them, but couldn't finish the job.

On my way home, my Ranger's temp gauge started reading cold. Like, truck-off cold, unless I was holding the engine at about 3k RPMS. So it looks like I need a new thermostat. I really could use fresh coolant in there anyway.

Then yesterday I decided to work on my computers. The old one we have tends to run hot when my wife is playing the sims, so I got a new heat sink and fan for it that I'm now going to have to return because I can't attach it to the motherboard. It's an older Gigabyte motherboard with an Intel processor and the way the heat sink attaches to the processor is with push-pins. This new heat sink came with standoffs that need something to screw into. So I reapplied some thermal compound and reinstalled the old heat sink and it's running a little cooler. Gotta return that heat sink though.

So I decide to move my four hard drives into a newer computer a buddy sold me. It was running beautifully. Added my four hard drives, now it runs like poo poo and I don't know why. My wife is pissed because she's been wanting a new computer that won't overheat when she plays her games, and we finally get one and a week later I break it. Trying to figure that one out right now. Hoping the Haus of Tech Support can help me because I really have no idea. Takes six minutes just to boot, and I can't run any programs. I'm hoping it's just indexing the terabyte of data I just added but I really don't know.

At least I don't live in Arizona :stare:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Installed a new toilet in our downstairs basement yesterday. Aside from having to chisel out the old cracked closet flange and then running out to buy another one, it was a pretty easy job.

The only thing the bothers me is the model name of the toilet.

Cimarron

:ohdear:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm so sorry. These things are the loving devil.

And my wife thought it was bad that one of the cats found and killed a mouse last night. No droppings or anything that we've found anywhere. I just came home to a cat making drat sure it's dead.

CornHolio posted:

On my way home, my Ranger's temp gauge started reading cold. Like, truck-off cold, unless I was holding the engine at about 3k RPMS. So it looks like I need a new thermostat.

I want to say that when my Ranger did this, it was the water pump. Which was a loving pain thanks to the PO doing it previously and gluing it together with RTV instead of using the Orings dry as intended.

CornHolio posted:

This new heat sink came with standoffs that need something to screw into. So I reapplied some thermal compound and reinstalled the old heat sink and it's running a little cooler. Gotta return that heat sink though.

Push pins are the standard way for any stock style heat sink. If the new one wants to screw in, it should come with a backing plate that installs behind the motherboard and protrudes through those same holes. Unless the case is relatively modern and decent, you'll have to pull the motherboard to install that.

CornHolio posted:

So I decide to move my four hard drives into a newer computer a buddy sold me. It was running beautifully. Added my four hard drives, now it runs like poo poo and I don't know why. My wife is pissed because she's been wanting a new computer that won't overheat when she plays her games, and we finally get one and a week later I break it. Trying to figure that one out right now. Hoping the Haus of Tech Support can help me because I really have no idea. Takes six minutes just to boot, and I can't run any programs. I'm hoping it's just indexing the terabyte of data I just added but I really don't know.

This makes no sense. Is it maybe booting off an old junked up install of Windows on one of the old drives instead of the one you were using?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Thank you L*rd, for the cleansing power of winter...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

Then yesterday I decided to work on my computers. The old one we have tends to run hot when my wife is playing the sims, so I got a new heat sink and fan for it that I'm now going to have to return because I can't attach it to the motherboard. It's an older Gigabyte motherboard with an Intel processor and the way the heat sink attaches to the processor is with push-pins. This new heat sink came with standoffs that need something to screw into. So I reapplied some thermal compound and reinstalled the old heat sink and it's running a little cooler. Gotta return that heat sink though.

That's a pretty common thing for a lot of 3rd party heatsinks on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge (no idea about newer processors) - you place the standoffs in the original pushpin holes, and use a nut + nylon washer to attach them from the backside of the motherboard. Heavier ones will have a brace installed on the backside of the board, I want to say mine has one... but it's been about 4 years since I pulled this thing apart to move it into a newer case. I know the heatsink I have is beefy enough to include one 120mm fan, and includes brackets to mount a second 120mm fan - it barely clears the side cover.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo that I have - also attached to a Gigabyte board (i5-2500k, Gigabyte with a Z68 chipset, I think it's a GA-Z68XP-UD3) is attached like that. Kind of a pain if you're working on an assembled system, as (depending on the case) you usually have to remove the motherboard. My desktop has been running for 6 years with one of those, and has always run way cooler than it did with the original Intel cooler (which I ran for about 2 weeks).

e: damnit, beaten by IoC

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 24, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i read somewhere that if you shout beetlejuice three times you can find the source of the problem

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slidebite posted:

:hfive:
Accepted an offer on mine a few days ago myself. Listed for 2.5 weeks which is pretty drat good considering homes in our price range are typically on the market for 60-90 days.

Deal was made within $1K of asking price, but they wanted our washing machine, dryer and deep freeze. Deep freeze is no biggie as it's about 15 years old and to be honest a pain in the rear end to move (besides, I could get a newer far more efficient one at Costco for $200) so I guess we're shopping for washers and dryers. Deciding between an Electrolux set or a Speed Queen @2x the price. I am ruling out Samsung or LG due to the absolute nightmare horror stories I've heard of servicing them and parts. Even with the appliances, we're still over our minimum of what we would have taken as a bottom line, so we're happy.

Start moving into the new shack end of next week.

Congrats! We just accepted an offer on ours. They wanted us to pay $5k in closing costs, which isn't absurd but we just weren't willing to do. Unfortunately the buyer is cash poor and really needs the money so we came up with a creative solution; lose the home warranty, bump the cost of the house up $1500 and give them $3000 in closing costs. Fingers crossed that we can get everyone to the table on this. We go to the design studio next weekend to pick out the finishings in our new home.

The one hang up I have about this new house is that they don't insulate the garage, so I'm going to have to go behind them and rip out a bunch of drywall that the builder just put up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I want to say that when my Ranger did this, it was the water pump. Which was a loving pain thanks to the PO doing it previously and gluing it together with RTV instead of using the Orings dry as intended.

Wouldn't it run hot if the water pump failed?

quote:

Push pins are the standard way for any stock style heat sink. If the new one wants to screw in, it should come with a backing plate that installs behind the motherboard and protrudes through those same holes. Unless the case is relatively modern and decent, you'll have to pull the motherboard to install that.

Oh poo poo, I'll have to look at mine again and see if that's how it was supposed to be installed. I don't know if it's worth it to pull the motherboard, though. It seems to be running OK for now.

quote:

This makes no sense. Is it maybe booting off an old junked up install of Windows on one of the old drives instead of the one you were using?

None of the hard drives I've added have ever had an OS installed. It makes no sense to me either.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's a pretty common thing for a lot of 3rd party heatsinks on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge (no idea about newer processors) - you place the standoffs in the original pushpin holes, and use a nut + nylon washer to attach them from the backside of the motherboard. Heavier ones will have a brace installed on the backside of the board, I want to say mine has one... but it's been about 4 years since I pulled this thing apart to move it into a newer case. I know the heatsink I have is beefy enough to include one 120mm fan, and includes brackets to mount a second 120mm fan - it barely clears the side cover.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo that I have - also attached to a Gigabyte board (i5-2500k, Gigabyte with a Z68 chipset, I think it's a GA-Z68XP-UD3) is attached like that. Kind of a pain if you're working on an assembled system, as (depending on the case) you usually have to remove the motherboard. My desktop has been running for 6 years with one of those, and has always run way cooler than it did with the original Intel cooler (which I ran for about 2 weeks).

e: damnit, beaten by IoC

Actually, the heat sink I bought is a Hyper 212... poo poo... I'm going to look at it when I get home. I might still return it, though. If my case opened on the other side, maybe I'd do it, but I don't know if it's worth it to pull it out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The 212 is a drat good heatsink, especially for the price. It's worth pulling the motherboard to install. Just make sure it's an Evo or newer; the + doesn't work with Sandy Bridge or newer. The + and original 212 will bolt on, but the plate doesn't actually touch the CPU (learned that the hard way when I tried to reuse my 212+ from my old AMD 64 X2 5200+).

Idle temps aren't much above room temp on my 2500k, and I built this system to be dead silent - every fan is 120mm, every fan is low RPM and meant to be quiet, and it idles around 30C. Full load temps will get up to about 60C, but if I threw in fans that actually spun at more than "barely spinning rpm", I doubt it'd break 45C. Maybe 50C if I threw a healthy OC at it again; stock speed is 3.3 GHz, it's currently at 4.2, but I used to run it at 4.7 without touching voltages.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 24, 2017

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The 212 is a drat good heatsink, especially for the price. It's worth pulling the motherboard to install. Just make sure it's an Evo or newer; the + doesn't work with Sandy Bridge or newer.

Yeah, this is the one I ordered/

I'm gonna see if the computer is still running hot. If it is, I'll install it, but if just reapplying the paste fixed my problem, I really don't need it.

It does look cool, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If you're running a Sandy Bridge or newer, send it back. The plus won't actually touch the CPU on Sandy Bridge or newer. Personal experience on that one.

Pretty amazed you can even find the Plus today, it's ancient. The Evo's old too, but works with a lot more CPUs.

e: just checked Cooler Master's website, they don't even list the (original) Plus anymore. You sure it's not an Evo+?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 24, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Man, I'm running dual X5650 Xeons with stock heatsinks and not getting even that hot under full load.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If you're running a Sandy Bridge or newer, send it back. The plus won't actually touch the CPU on Sandy Bridge or newer. Personal experience on that one.

Pretty amazed you can even find the Plus today, it's ancient. The Evo's old too, but works with a lot more CPUs.

This is the motherboard which has an LGA 775 socket. That's pre-sandy bridge, correct? This is a pretty old machine. Newer than mine, which is ten years old (and runs fine, thank you very much) (I think I can still play Red Alert 2 on it, anyway)...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah that's before Sandy Bridge; you'll be fine with that heatsink. Still need to yank the motherboard, but my old 212+ is on a spare PC (running a 775 i5)

CommieGIR posted:

Man, I'm running dual X5650 Xeons with stock heatsinks and not getting even that hot under full load.

You're running servers though. I built this thing to be dead silent, it doesn't move a whole lot of air.

I'm sure if I threw in some high CFM fans, it wouldn't get far above room temp under full load.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 24, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

You're running servers though. I built this thing to be dead silent, it doesn't move a whole lot of air.

I'm sure if I threw in some high CFM fans, it wouldn't get far above room temp under full load.

Its a desktop. Precision T5500.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Honestly, budget pc'ing can be good, but if the stuff is that old I'd just full on upgrade to a new machine. I built this thing at a bit of a premium, but with water cooling, a k processor, and current (until the ti's just released) gpu, I'm good for quite a few years I suspect before even thinking about touching the turbo buttons...

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The one hang up I have about this new house is that they don't insulate the garage, so I'm going to have to go behind them and rip out a bunch of drywall that the builder just put up.

Maybe try blow in insulation? No need to rip all the walls off

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

and I thought my 2500k was old. :corsair:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Honestly, budget pc'ing can be good, but if the stuff is that old I'd just full on upgrade to a new machine. I built this thing at a bit of a premium, but with water cooling, a k processor, and current (until the ti's just released) gpu, I'm good for quite a few years I suspect before even thinking about touching the turbo buttons...

If you're talking about mine, it's my backup computer whose sole purpose is my kid playing minecraft on it.

Though my even older computer has this processor and still runs strong. 'Cause I built that guy from scratch. Nine years ago...

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 24, 2017

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CornHolio posted:

If you're talking about mine, it's my backup computer whose sole purpose is my kid playing minecraft on it.

Though my even older computer has this processor and still runs strong. 'Cause I built that guy from scratch. Nine years ago...

I got your backup and your wife's "new" machine mixed up I guess.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ExplodingSims posted:

Just leave. The house belongs to the bugs now

This was my resolution after reading the :kingsley:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GOTG 2 -

They don't release it in the :911: until May 5th but this is about what I was expecting. Lightning in a bottle is a perfect descriptor of Guardians 1. They took themselves not too serious which was the secret ingredient to what a great movie it turned out to be. With monumental success that obviously ups the pressure. Do you swing for the fences and double down on round two? Or do you go the safe route by putting a quality movie out that will still bankroll and satisfy the fans? When you are playing with that kind of money and reputation I am not surprised they went the latter route. They will get some of my money.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I got your backup and your wife's "new" machine mixed up I guess.

The 'new' one has a 2011 build I think, and has an i5. If it can run the Sims for her, I'm good with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This is karma giving you the 5 years of childhood you just missed out on :v: (seriously that sounds rank and I hope you get it sorted)

• Locked thread