Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm crying irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Told you. (Not about Top though)

I guess Top just got cheap as poo poo. And I guess Miracles is dead. Or at least the Countertop Aspect.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
"We have not seen the movement in the format we had hoped for with the Grand Prix in the latter half of the season, but we still believe we need to gather more data—particularly with an eye toward the effect of Amonkhet on the Pro Tour"

How much more evidence does anyone need that everyone in this process is out of touch?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Smashing Link posted:

That seems fine to me.

The cat really needed to go for Standard, and Amhoket is not going to change that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The only games I lost the entire weekend were to a nine year old girl. She was so excited. Last I saw she was 3-1. :3:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The parking lot sign worked!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

The parking lot sign worked!

:aaaaa:

Angry Grimace posted:

The only games I lost the entire weekend were to a nine year old girl. She was so excited. Last I saw she was 3-1. :3:

This is what Prerelease is all about.

That and 2-0'ing people that deserve to lose every game of Magic they play because they're overall terrible sports about it.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 24, 2017

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Please don't play any of the monuments except the maybe G or W if you can draft a specific deck around them.

Thanks

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/856518993728983044

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

"We have not seen the movement in the format we had hoped for with the Grand Prix in the latter half of the season, but we still believe we need to gather more data—particularly with an eye toward the effect of Amonkhet on the Pro Tour"

How much more evidence does anyone need that everyone in this process is out of touch?

We want to see what happens, we don't have enough data yet.

Okay, it's bad, but let's just see how this plays out. Dynavolt Tower!

Alright... We're still seeing the same problems, but wouldn't it be cool and good if we had the most unwatchable Pro Tour of all time?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Okay, it's bad, but let's just see how this plays out. Dynavolt Tower!

Alright... We're still seeing the same problems, but wouldn't it be cool and good if we had the most unwatchable Pro Tour of all time?

Limited is probably going to be the most excited part of the PT.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is the most popular Red as a color has been in years.

What's the problem?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
It was pretty obvious when they lied about the format in the last banlist update their plan was "hope Amonkhet fixes it" and the pro tour is the only thing that'll convince them it didn't. I hope those goofs got lucky.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Count Bleck posted:

This is what Prerelease is all about.

That and 2-0'ing people that deserve to lose every game of Magic they play because they're overall terrible sports about it.

qft

Also lol at the lack of changes to Standard.

BJPaskoff posted:

I figured "massive drops in attendance for standard events" would have been enough data by this point but here we are

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rinkles posted:

Standard:

No changes

Modern:

No changes

Legacy:

Sensei's Divining Top is banned.

Vintage:

Gitaxian Probe is restricted.

Gush is restricted.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-24

Welp, there goes any post-prerelease excitement I had about trying out some brews in Standard. Back to slowly collecting Modern components with the occasional draft on the weekends.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The only excitement I had about Amonkhet was that we finally have an Egyptian set and that Vizier of the Menagerie is a card I get to put in Animar.

Also it's fun as gently caress from a limited perspective.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I for one welcome our new Four-Colour Manglehorn overlords. :toot:

Edit: Oh wai, mono-green Rhonas Stompy with the Edifice, Manglehorn, and the cycling artifact hate just for funsies.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 24, 2017

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Alright, guess I will be playing modern for a while instead of standard, which is fine I guess?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Some one at my shop is building the Marvel Saheeli deck, which means I'm probably going to be forced to play Tower.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Siivola posted:

I for one welcome our new Four-Colour Manglehorn overlords. :toot:

Edit: Oh wai, mono-green Rhonas Stompy with the Edifice, Manglehorn, and the cycling artifact hate just for funsies.

Yep, I am going to assume Mardu can not toe-to-toe with 4C now as using a guardian on a Manglehorn destroys you. Assumption two is that 4C Mirror now depends on who gets a Manglehorn down and untaps first.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Well, I was thinking of getting out of constructed Magic and having my Legacy deck banned confirms it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

At this point they only have themselves to blame for whatever happens at the Pro Tour

Also RIP Sensei's Top and Counterbalance

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 24, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

If you know Joe Lossett personally, please reach out to him today and make sure he is okay.

At the very least half of the next standard season is going to go into the toilet. You are welcome shop owners.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

If you know Joe Lossett personally, please reach out to him today and make sure he is okay.

At the very least half of the next standard season is going to go into the toilet. You are welcome shop owners.

I called and only his mom would pick up. She said he is a little down and having, "tubby time."

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Rain drop
Sensei's Diving Top
I'm WOTC
Welcome to my ban shop

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Gonna petition my LGS TO to run modern alongside Standard on Fridays, in the interest of keeping the store open.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mfcrocker posted:

Well, I was thinking of getting out of constructed Magic and having my Legacy deck banned confirms it.

How has it taken you this long? Limited - cube in particular - is the only format worth playing. Constructed is meh.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Sweet, TurboFog reigns supreme. Bring on all the Vehicles and Saheeli decks

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...ent_Remarks.pdf

I would assume mm3 is what kept this from a small decline from a large one?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I'm glad the format that WotC doesn't seem to care about at all got a controversial ban and the format WotC has hitched their wagon to didn't get the ban that everyone both wanted and expected.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So we're looking at a Pro Tour that's going to be worse than Aether Revolt's 7 vehicle decks in the top 8 aren't wel.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

it's gonna be funny watching the coverage team squirm and try to stay excited for saheeli and mardu all weekend long

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Well, I don't think mm3 is going to get that huge price relief that was expected across the board. People are going to want to spend their money on something and that isn't going to be much standard.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
When I said I wished for infinite cats, I didn't mean like this. Sorry, Standard players. Another finger curls on the (cat) monkey's paw.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sickening posted:

Well, I don't think mm3 is going to get that huge price relief that was expected across the board. People are going to want to spend their money on something and that isn't going to be much standard.

A store near me is starting paper pauper events and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

DangerDongs posted:

The cat really needed to go for Standard, and Amhoket is not going to change that.

Sorry I wasn't thinking about Standard since I don't play that format.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Pretty soon neither will anybody else! :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mfcrocker posted:

Same except it's not even my legacy deck. But I don't like the idea that if a bunch of people who don't even play a format whine about a card enough they'll get rid of it. It's not like we haven't seen it happen before.

I knew this was going to happen when I opened 3 Tops the other day.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Count Bleck posted:

Told you. (Not about Top though)

I guess Top just got cheap as poo poo. And I guess Miracles is dead. Or at least the Countertop Aspect.

No, the whole deck is dead. Terminus is also worthless without top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rogue0071 posted:

No, the whole deck is dead. Terminus is also worthless without top.

It's not worthless with all the cantrips but it's not worthwhile either. And yeah it's super dead. Rip the only good control deck in any format.