Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
My original post was mostly about immutability in the context of cruddy server apps that interact with external and internal services and databases to collect and present info to be shown to customers aka 90% of what all of us do.

Idgaf if the collections I use are implemented with internal mutable state or not as long as they give me immutable maps and filters and groupBys

I've done production haskell, scala, and java and never made a data type more complicated than a record that gets serialised to or from json, xml, or Sql.

Except for that one time I interacted with a linear solver and had to output and parse its weird text format

Or the time a vendor insisted that we submitted records to them by emailing xlsx files.

Basically what I'm saying is that algo work is for hobby projects and library writers and being a server programmer (especially in finance) is generally just data piping in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The Laplace Demon posted:

Characterizing the techniques in Okasaki as "no no, overall this is still O(1) per operation despite the cost of reversal being O(n)" is straight up incorrect. The final queue implementation is legit O(1) on every operation. The trick is to perform a step or two of reversing the second stack every time a new element is added to or removed from the queue through clever usage of lazy evaluation. That way the memoization you're talking about is only a constant factor speedup.

yeah you're right. I just double-checked the book. I think I got confused when they compare the banker and physicist method and remove wholesale lot of optimizations there and leave most monolithic operations in place, but I missed/did not remember the cache they have added on for its front elements in there.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

gonadic io posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that algo work is for hobby projects and library writers and being a server programmer (especially in finance) is generally just data piping in my experience

Uhhhh your wrong because why else would cs algo questions be the standard process to interviewing programmers?? hmm did you ever thing about that!! :tif:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
perhaps trivial CRUD poo poo is 90% of application projects in industry. people still manage to make them run slowly.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
how complex is jira in that crud continuum?
because I don't understand how our company jira take ~3 seconds for a new page to load

otoh, slow loading internal apps likely means it was contracted out to the lowest bidder code farm, so business as usual.

i interact with this proprietary 3rd party thing that as far as I can tell inserts a row into an oracle table and returns the ID. I'm also the only user because my external_key column is completely in sequence
still somehow takes more than 1 minute for a single call and 2 minutes if you request an array of 10
it also cannot handle more than 1 concurrent request at a time. sending 3-4 async calls apparently clobbers some shared data.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 14, 2017

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

MeruFM posted:

how complex is jira in that crud continuum?
because I don't understand how our company jira take ~3 seconds for a new page to load

otoh, slow loading internal apps likely means it was contracted out to the lowest bidder code farm, so business as usual.

i interact with this proprietary 3rd party thing that as far as I can tell inserts a row into an oracle table and returns the ID. I'm also the only user because my external_key column is completely in sequence
still somehow takes more than 1 minute for a single call and 2 minutes if you request an array of 10
it also cannot handle more than 1 concurrent request at a time. sending 3-4 async calls apparently clobbers some shared data.

jira is used by tons of people and made by atlassian or whatever, they make a whole suite of poo poo tools to piss you off

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
jira was a bug tracker that people started tracking work in and they just kept growing it from there

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
It makes sense to me to track work and bugs in the same place, because fixing bugs is work.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jira is very good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

jira is very good

yeah, but most people trying to set it up aren't so :confused:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
jira is kind of terrible and you can see a lot of the features came from teams competing against each other instead of trying to come up with poo poo that makes sense and fit together

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
jira is much better than every alernative i've used

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly jira is one of those things with a 1,000 features (configurations and integrations etc.), which seems silly when you are only using 100, but it turns out you are using a mostly different 100 than others

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
features i use:
open ticket
assign to
watch
filter tickets

features management wants me to use:
500 other things

features that might be cool but whoever is running jira can't get their act together:
enterprise github integration

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

fleshweasel posted:

perhaps trivial CRUD poo poo is 90% of application projects in industry. people still manage to make them run slowly.

it's not slow because their data structures aren't savagely optimized enough

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

the talent deficit posted:

it's not slow because their data structures aren't savagely optimized enough

if they do have bespoke data structures, that could well be causing the slowdown lol.

the solution is almost certainly not to savagely optimise them ofc

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

comedyblissoption posted:

mutability might not be bad at all if you do it like rust

• immutable by default

this is by far the most important one and in practice seems to eliminate vast swathes of pointless mutability that makes it hard to have any idea where values come from

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

here's a good article about how non-aliased mutability improves program understanding
http://manishearth.github.io/blog/2015/05/18/the-problem-with-shared-mutability/

evan, the guy who writes elm, gave a talk last year about how concurrency is hard and mutable state is basically the same thing as concurrency and it reminds me of this article

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
my company uses jira as the primary data store and web hook triggerer for an application

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
my favorite part about JIRA is taht it uploads 6+ MBs of javascript whenever i fire it up

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Flat Daddy posted:

my company uses jira as the primary data store and web hook triggerer for an application

and the weird thing is, despite feeling dread every time i load up jira, i am not even that sure that this is a bad idea. it just does a lot of stuff. business people are able to work with it. it is sort of like excel in serving a role as the interface a lot of people understand, while they simultaneously in principle use very little of what the system itself *does*

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

here's a good article about how non-aliased mutability improves program understanding
http://manishearth.github.io/blog/2015/05/18/the-problem-with-shared-mutability/

So how does this relate to accessing concurrent mutable state, not through locks, but through something like software transactional memory?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Bloody posted:

jira is very good

our generation's lotus notes

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

JawnV6 posted:

so when you pass a giant blob of data off to a function and it returns a BRAND NEW object with w/e 1-bit change you wanted, is there any acknowledgment of the runtime actually copying and shuffling all this data around behind the scenes to keep up the "immutable" fiction? or is that like ladder step 4: why is my performance poo poo

works well enough for postgres :shrug:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Zemyla posted:

So how does this relate to accessing concurrent mutable state, not through locks, but through something like software transactional memory?

(they work with locks)

tef fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 18, 2017

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it's probably better to use stm because unlike locks, well, we have a better track record with transactions

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my understanding is that STM was deemed mostly very difficult to make work right in F# without the purity that Haskell enforces, since side-effects could be troublesome when transactions didn't go on the happy path every time.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yes, it would be very tempting to execute things during the transaction that aren't actually transactional

the bigger problem is that in my experience programmers naturally tend to make enormous transactions which are probably just doomed to never actually be applied, at least not with the optimistic implementation strategy that allows tm to have desirable performance. tm degrades like poo poo under contention

that said, hardware tm would be fantastic, not because tm is in any way a good end-user programming paradigm but because it would be a huge boon for concurrent data structures in non-gc environments. e.g. you could actually write a simple concurrent linked list where the node memory is arbitrarily owned. oh, did i allocate a node on my stack, insert it into the concurrent queue, then splice it out later and immediately re-use the memory for something completely different while you were iterating the list, causing all of your reads to go completely wild and probably crash? whatever, just unwind your transaction and start over

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Most models of parallelism in functional programming isn't very fast at all (STM included), and only the most optimistic papers claim otherwise.

At least they make it easier to get parallel things right. Maybe in ten years, high-performance functional programming will be more than an academic plaything.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Athas posted:

Maybe in ten years, high-performance functional programming will be more than an academic plaything.

Wow look at this post from the 70s

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheany posted:

Wow look at this post from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today on 98.7 the peak

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

yes, it would be very tempting to execute things during the transaction that aren't actually transactional

yeah, and people also access code outside of the lock

my point was that transactions are easier to compose than locks by design, and that higher level code benefits immensely from it

i don't think you're arguing against it, i just kinda wanted to be clear about me saying "so that thing in 'how computers stop and what can be done about it'? it's good advice"

but i've been a database janitor for 2 years, i really like transactions

quote:

the bigger problem is that in my experience programmers naturally tend to make enormous transactions which are probably just doomed to never actually be applied, at least not with the optimistic implementation strategy that allows tm to have desirable performance.

*opens up a session transaction* *postgres stops cleaning up old data* yeah it's a shitshow especially on mvcc implementations

there are systems without session transactions (i think faundadb just launched), and well, databases that use undo logs instead of old values (innodb i think), force old transactions to to abort execution

quote:

tm degrades like poo poo under contention

i've heard this a lot but tbh optimistic locking isn't the worst under contention, but a hot key is going to gently caress over most implementations :toot:

that said, the bw-tree/llama magic behind hekaton and documentdb is pretty good, so i hear.

quote:

that said, hardware tm would be fantastic, not because tm is in any way a good end-user programming paradigm but because it would be a huge boon for concurrent data structures in non-gc environments.

hardware tm would be interesting but for me, writing distributed stuff, well, punting the issue of persistence to a transactional store is kinda nice

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
transactions are a great paradigm for databases, definitely agree there. i have not really thought about tm as a database implementation technology. just saying that i think stm is really problematic as a general-purpose synchronization system, in part because it's such an elegant-feeling design

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

transactions are a great paradigm for databases, definitely agree there. i have not really thought about tm as a database implementation technology. just saying that i think stm is really problematic as a general-purpose synchronization system, in part because it's such an elegant-feeling design

oh, i hear you on this, you don't get to drop it in and magically get performance, but at least you get safety.

when i'm talking about stm over locks, i'm not talking about pipelining stuff, paralellism, but sharing state under concurrent but mostly independent update, which is handwaving i guess.

but my preference for a stm like thing over locks is more that i mean 'things that are unsafe to compose should be wrapped in interfaces that provide safe composition'

a coarse level, i'm arguing for atomic queues, lists, etc over homebrewing locks, but i also mean that you should really use something to compose those atomic operations safely, and locks aren't great at it

but if you end up doing multi-key operations, well, or, you've implemented something like multiple compare and swap you're 80-90% of the way to a stm-alike operation

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
has anyone even delivered correct/performant stm?

like it was hot new research when i was in school, but intc botched the first shipment, ll/sc isn't stm

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
tsx is hardware transactional memory :science:

that's all i really want, i want a load/store buffer that can support like 6 operations and which just fails if one of the operations would have trapped, so that i can make simple lockless data structures through random memory without a gc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think stm only ever made sense in the "incredibly optimistic" category, as in software that in principle had to have a lot of locks, but even if you removed them all it still usually ran for a good bit before anything bad happened. that is, i think most formulations of stm had very low overhead if you actually never rolled back any transaction

which, in principle likely is a fair portion of a fair bit of software, but the moment you actually put it under contention it collapsed entirely, and it is really hard to actually look at most software and go "ah, here is the one lock that will actually content, the other 9,999 can be dropped with stm"