Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Rirse posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot the art book in Persona 5 spoiled Adachi, as I was flipping through it early on in the game and come upon the page for Adachi showing him with multiple evil portaits and figured he was the killer.

Are you talking about the wrong character or the wrong art book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

freshlybaked posted:

Are you talking about the wrong character or the wrong art book?

I meant Persona 4's art book that you got for free with pre-orders. And yeah I meant to say Adachi.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's absolutely impossible to see Persona 5's cover and not tell that Goro is the traitor so they kind of failed anyway.

Not that the game truly tries to hide this from you

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Rirse posted:

I meant Persona 4's art book that you got for free with pre-orders. And yeah I meant to say Adachi.

Well, I don't recall anything like that existing back then. The only art book I can think of is the Design Works book, which came even after the anime, and so spoilers probably weren't an issue for anyone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Persona 4 definitely came with an art book on preorder. I have the book he's talking about.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Persona 4 definitely came with an art book on preorder. I have the book he's talking about.
Same here, got it right there on the shelf with the rest of my useless video game crap.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I've got that art book somewhere. But the only thing I remember from it is that one of the character's (Maybe Ai?) first design was literally just Lisa Silverman. Like straight up did not change a thing.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

The Persona 5 artbook confirms that at one point Sae was just Bayonetta.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's absolutely impossible to see Persona 5's cover and not tell that Goro is the traitor so they kind of failed anyway.

Not that the game truly tries to hide this from you

I do appreciate that the game sort-of tries to trick you by giving Goro his own (hilariously useless) store pages, unique Mementos lines, etc. like a fully fledged character. They got all the game mechanics down in terms of spoiler-hiding, it's just a shame that he's super obvious through the plot.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Well darn. Persona 4 was kind of the only thing I thought about back around 2010-2011, so I'm surprised at myself for not knowing that fact.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

My girlfriend watched me play through and it was really fun to see the reactions of someone who isn't all that familiar with SMT or Persona. Before this, her only exposure to Persona was through the Persona 4 anime. So far the best reaction (other than how extremely invested she was in finding out how Joker survived being shot in the head) was how hard she laughed when the ultimate Judgement Persona was loving Satan. Once you've played a couple SMT games, fusing Satan's no big deal.

I don't even think it was a half-assed explanation so much as a massive shrug. Unless I'm misremembering Morgana's just like, "You got closer to Akechi even though that wasn't even the real you there. Weird, huh? That's pretty cognitive. Anyway don't think about it too hard and go to bed."

I'm idly curious if you got into the subject of how/why Lucifer, Satan, and Satanael are different Personas and what each represents with her. I'm curious how someone with no SMT/Persona background would react.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Telling someone unaware that Satan is the being that carries out God's judgment has got to be a really weird trip for them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Satan being Law aligned in SMT2 due to Satan and Lucifer being separated entities and Satan acting as the executioner of God's will is a good religious pull

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm idly curious if you got into the subject of how/why Lucifer, Satan, and Satanael are different Personas and what each represents with her. I'm curious how someone with no SMT/Persona background would react.

The mythology isn't her biggest interest but we did talk about why Lucifer and Satanael are different Personas from Satan, and also what the hell a Yaldabaoth is. I could have gone on and on about Gnosticism because I was way too into both Xenogears and (sigh) Xenosaga when I was in college but thankfully I have a semi-decent handle for when I'm going to cross the line into boring.

She had a totally non-religious upbringing so what she already knows about, like, anything related to the Abrahamic religions is fairly small so there wasn't a huge "wait, but I thought..." thing to get over when Lucifer and Satan were different.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Also God being kind of a dick towards humanity in basically every incarnation almost certainly won't sit well with the people who see Him as a benevolent and loving deity.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Gnostic view of YHVH in SMT "helps" a bit if someone's having trouble getting over "God is unambiguously a huge dick" in these games--YHVH is the Demiurge, like Yaldabaoth, and not actually God. I think SMT4 Apocalypse might even hint at that at some point.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

The mythology isn't her biggest interest but we did talk about why Lucifer and Satanael are different Personas from Satan, and also what the hell a Yaldabaoth is. I could have gone on and on about Gnosticism because I was way too into both Xenogears and (sigh) Xenosaga when I was in college but thankfully I have a semi-decent handle for when I'm going to cross the line into boring.

She had a totally non-religious upbringing so what she already knows about, like, anything related to the Abrahamic religions is fairly small so there wasn't a huge "wait, but I thought..." thing to get over when Lucifer and Satan were different.

I had a super religious upbringing and I didn't know God or Satan had a bunch of separate parts/aspects/entities until Persona

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

Your social link is very different to mine. You have to pass a Rank 5 Theology check before you get to the part where I'll let you watch me play video games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah, almost no major religion in the West actually includes that stuff in its canon. I don't know much about Judaism, to be fair, so maybe that differentiates between Lucifer and Satan. I think it's just easier to go "oh, that's some interesting mythology" if you aren't already super familiar with Western Christianity already.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

well at least you get to kill the archangels

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Now I kind of want to go back into this game just to browse the compendium and read a bunch of the entries. It's really kind of elegantly connected to the narrative how you start with low-level folklore characters as personae before ending up with the heavy hitters from the world's major religions

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

the angels wanting you dead in the last dungeon reminded me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_Is_the_Absence_of_God

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

A Gnostic view of YHVH in SMT "helps" a bit if someone's having trouble getting over "God is unambiguously a huge dick" in these games--YHVH is the Demiurge, like Yaldabaoth, and not actually God. I think SMT4 Apocalypse might even hint at that at some point.

It flat out states it. YHVH is the supreme being in the universe, but there are countless universes and the being at the very top of the food chain is benevolent for that is why Messiahs keep on popping up to deal with YHVH who can not be permanently defeated.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moltrey posted:

There's literally a section in the artbook about how Goro lives alone in an apartment, goes around to fancy resturants to try new dishes so he can have food to use as SOME kind of conversation point and has no problem waiting in long lines cause what the gently caress else is he gonna do with his sad existence.

Too real, game. :smith:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I have no idea how true it was, but there was always that quote going around that said that YHVH being such a ruthless, crushing entity was symptomatic of some bigger problem in the universe

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

I have no idea how true it was, but there was always that quote going around that said that YHVH being such a ruthless, crushing entity was symptomatic of some bigger problem in the universe

Man is the real monster, for wishing such an entity into being

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It was really weird to me that Shido turned out to be in his early fifties. His portrait looks pretty young and his whole reformer here to fix the system persona fits a lot better to me if he was in his thirties.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ethiser posted:

It was really weird to me that Shido turned out to be in his early fifties. His portrait looks pretty young and his whole reformer here to fix the system persona fits a lot better to me if he was in his thirties.

Early fifties IS fairly young for a politician like him :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was going to guess forties before they said how old he was but that's not that far off, I guess.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ethiser posted:

He's supposed to be of an age with Sojiro, and is a fitness fanatic (as implied by one of the stages of his boss fight) consumed by Pride, so I think the comparison between the two and their lifestyles is pointed.

In the end, for all his talk about being a reformer, he's still an adult detached from the "current" generation embodied by Sae.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ethiser posted:

Him having a son kinda forces his age a bit, if he was even 39, then he'd have to be 21 at least when Goro was born

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, almost no major religion in the West actually includes that stuff in its canon. I don't know much about Judaism, to be fair, so maybe that differentiates between Lucifer and Satan. I think it's just easier to go "oh, that's some interesting mythology" if you aren't already super familiar with Western Christianity already.

Judaism doesn't have a Hell and there's no Lucifer. Satan is an angel and the Prosecutor of Humanity on God's behalf. So the SMT Law-aligned Judgement Satan is actually closer to Judaism than Christianity. :jewish:

Satanael meanwhile is a Gnosticism thing and I don't really know much about that, but since we have him in Persona 5 and not Helel, it's possible he's there to fulfill the Righteous Rebel slot that Lucifer/Helel take up in the mythology of rebelling against an unjust God.

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 24, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HellOnEarth posted:

Satanael meanwhile is a Gnosticism thing and I don't really know much about that, but since we have him in Persona 5 and not Helel, it's possible he's there to fulfill the Righteous Rebel slot that Lucifer/Helel take up in the mythology of rebelling against an unjust God.

The name "Satanael" comes up in a bunch of different places and covers a few different stories, though all of them are rebels against God, though whether he rebels against the actual God (the Monad) or the Demiurge varies.

Gnosticism is hard to pin down, honestly. There are so many Gnostic sects and myths that coming up with any sort of coherent narrative that's true to all of them is drat near impossible. In most Gnostic myths, and apparently in some early Judaism, Satanael is basically just Lucifer. This is the reading Persona 5 went with. And of course, in Gnostic myths where the Demiurge/Yaldabaoth exists separate from Satanael, Satanael's rebellion against him is significantly more righteous than Lucifer's rebellion against God, in that the Demiurge is a false god who nonetheless believes he's the true creator of everything and behaves with the selfish, misguided righteousness that he feels that entitles him to. Satanael wants to give humanity the tools to free themselves from the Demiurge.

In one particular Gnostic sect's canon, Satanael is basically the Demiurge: he's God's first son and created our universe (along with Adam and Eve) after being cast out of heaven. This one's interesting because, if we decide to read Persona 5 through that lens, Satanael and Yalbadaoth are just two sides of the same coin. That's not likely the intention, though.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm trying to catch as much incidental chatter around town as I can in my NG+ playthrough, and I only just now found out about Makoto trying to tail you around Shujin and being incredibly conspicuous about it. She's so cute, walking behind you pretending to read some book and going "I'M, UH, VERY BUSY PLEASE DON'T MIND ME" whenever you talk to her :3:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Absolutely needs posting again all the time, forever.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I missed out on that the first time because I was fast traveling all the time. It's amazing that she runs after you if you go too far.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

She'll also tail you at Central Street and the Underground Walkway in Shibuya. It's adorable :3:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Marogareh posted:

I missed out on that the first time because I was fast traveling all the time. It's amazing that she runs after you if you go too far.

I'm guilty of this a lot too, but I try to explore every zone at least every couple of weeks talking to people and see what's changed.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Marogareh posted:

If you go to the toilet while she's following you in the school, she'll run up to the entrance, pause, then turn around and run off. Or perhaps the AI just did that and it's not meant to be scripted. Either way, it happened to me and it made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

smenj posted:

If you go to the toilet while she's following you in the school, she'll run up to the entrance, pause, then turn around and run off. Or perhaps the AI just did that and it's not meant to be scripted. Either way, it happened to me and it made me laugh.

I think what happens with her AI is that she has a specific looping path to follow and she only stops when she's within a certain distance from you while you're on her path. If you're not on her path, she'll just go back and forth until you get back on. Like, she'll follow you up and down Central Street while you're on the main path, but if you walk behind her, she walks to the other end of the street before coming back to you and if you duck down into an alley, she'll just go back and forth forever because she's lost sight of you.

• Locked thread