Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Why do you keep doing this thing :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Doing what thing

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I must have misread, never mind :confused:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
You had me worried for a sec lol

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Oh wow that's actually quite open to interpretation, isn't it. Well I meant it as thanks for letting me know I was doing something.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Elsa posted:

Oh wow that's actually quite open to interpretation, isn't it. Well I meant it as thanks for letting me know I was doing something.

I'm curious, where was that comma?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

SinineSiil posted:

I'm curious, where was that comma?

In person, and online. :smith:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Oh man, time to break out the oxford comma debate?

Flesh Forge posted:

I did :kiddo:

Also I figured out some UE poo poo

By the way if you're having problems with UE 4.14/4.15 crashing a lot, it's probably this:

https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-42280

enabling Project Settings -> Render -> Forward Shading fixed it for me

Congrats! UE4 has been a wonderful thing for me, but I guess it's also exactly like that stupid song...

99 bugs in the code
99 bugs in the code
patch one down pass it around
128 bugs in the code!

Especially with animation retargeting... I can't wait for Epic to release the Animation editor. I can't find a link now but they showed it off in a live stream and it looks perfect.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ants

pre-retopo but it won't be very much different from this:

the legs need some spiky hairs on them, I'll add that after retopo
e: I probably should get rid of that center line down the abdomen, I don't think anything like that appears on a real ant :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 18, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

YOURRRR SSSSSSSSSSSAAANNNNDDWWWIIIICCCHHHHHESSSS HHHHHUUMMMMAANNNNNN GIVVVVVVE THHHEMMMM TOOO MMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
brought that lowpoly maya base mesh from a couple months ago into zBrush

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
it's supposed to be Arnold lol

It was an in-class thing. I will probably adjust it in Maya. I set up selection sets in Maya and it just gives me more control. Then I'll apply the production topology and UV then throw it back in zBrush with a cage.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Some of my students are doing great work this term. It is frankly very refreshing, although almost half of them withdrew due to the class being an elective and a lot more work than they expected.

Here is an example of some of the better work.

http://seanleezbrush.blogspot.com/

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

sigma 6 posted:

Here is an example of some of the better work.

That's pretty nice, he could go places if he keeps up with it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ant leg detailing

e: duh wrong subdivision rez

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 19, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
How are you doing that? That is a really cool electron microscope type of look.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's actually a really simple material, it's a Fresnel gradient on the Luminance (emissive) channel.

e: basically, if a surface faces the camera it emits very little, if it's perpendicular to the camera it emits a lot.
e: noisy bump makes it a lot more interesting to look at than smooth

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 19, 2017

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm running through a tutorial I have for Houdini (Rohan Dalvi's hard surfacing) from start to finish to get a handle on all the changes to basic nodes that came with 16 and I'm running into an issue. The tutorial has me creating a simple shape profile from a 2 X 2 grid that is then copied to the points of a circle and skinned, creating a curved tube piece of geometry. The problem I'm having is that the copies of the grid primitive are not being consistently oriented in terms of the primitive normal, so some are facing one way and the others are reversed. This is happening across the x axis, so those copies on the positive x axis have their prim normal pointing opposite the copies that are on the negative x axis.

This produces a pinch in the skinned geometry as seen in the attached image.

I can do a quick and dirty fix by grouping and using a reverse normal node on one of the groups, but I'd like to know why this is happening in the first place with the Copy to Points node and I can't figure out why.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Do you have options in the skinning for warping / bending?
in max you can get similar issues with sweep and it's often a case of turning checkboxes on and off until it fixes it. could also be an issue with how the original circle shape was made - try on simpler shapes & variation with curves in and push it until it breaks. it's always important to understand where tools break & cant cope with certain things. also helps fix them you can pinpoint what triggers it.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Flesh Forge posted:

It's actually a really simple material, it's a Fresnel gradient on the Luminance (emissive) channel.

e: basically, if a surface faces the camera it emits very little, if it's perpendicular to the camera it emits a lot.
e: noisy bump makes it a lot more interesting to look at than smooth

Ohh okay right I see how that works now. Thanks. Darker on the normals facing the camera is counter-intuitive and I didn't realize that's what I was looking at. It looks really cool.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Also good for a fuzzy/velvety effect.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
That's an intersting coloring strategy. I'm going to try it on some fur in one of my portfolio drawings.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Using fresnel as a mix control/factor in shader node trees can lead to some neat results. Especially when mixing a transparent and an opaque shader with a <1 ior, you can get really interesting "ring" and "glow" outlines.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I've heard about fresnel here and there but I don't know what it is lol

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Flesh Forge posted:

ant leg detailing

Love it (and any CG electron micrograph shots). I'm looking forward to the detail on the compound eyes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Elsa posted:

I've heard about fresnel here and there but I don't know what it is lol

https://www.scratchapixel.com/lessons/3d-basic-rendering/introduction-to-shading/reflection-refraction-fresnel*

Usually it applies to reflection/refraction but of your materials system allows you to plug it in wherever you want you can get it to do some weird and sometimes useful stuff. E.g. it's a popular subsurface scattering fake:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php?t-476270.html

I'm not very good at the whole materials thing but sometimes you trip over useful knowledge looking for tips on the optimal dick topology

Gromit posted:

Love it (and any CG electron micrograph shots). I'm looking forward to the detail on the compound eyes.

*please don't get the impression I actually read this motherfucker because wow that is a lot of math and science poo poo :saddowns:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 20, 2017

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I can never tell if I've actually done a good job on hand retopo cuz I've only had to do it a couple times. I don't suppose this will deform okay, will it? Anything I should change before I go moving on to other parts?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Are you aiming at using that with subdivision at render time or not? I have different comments based on either.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I assumed it was going into Second Life

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's meant for me to just bake the high poly down to and then rig. the overlapped translucent model is the high poly, which i haven't baked yet.

Also what Elsa said

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Then you can simplify the underside of the fingers at the joints, having two parallel edges that close together won't make them bend any better and it'll be a little easier to weight with them gone.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
aight, did that. couldn't think of anything else that needed changing on the arms, so went ahead and did the next test bake run. everything's still going off without a hitch! On next is the legs and then the chest pieces (there's like 8 of those loving kill me)

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

this is something I'm working on - a beach house I am designing (in progress). anybody have any comments on this render or things I could do to tweak it?

I'm using Maya, Mental Ray (I don't have Vray), the Sun + Sky settings, a Depth Pass and (edit:) an occlusion pass. I considered the idea of blending in an HDRI pass but I'm not sure about that. I don't usually use many other pass types besides (perhaps fog) so I'm asking to see what other's opinions are.

The goal here is not "super realism". The goal is something that looks realistic but still has a bit of a "dreamy character" to it so that is has some charisma in some way. But I wouldn't mind adding in an extra sense of detail.

I do not know why, but I cannot directly place images on SA anymore so here's a link to it.

http://ajrosales.com/images2017/CAM_FOUR-H-HIRES.jpg

ajrosales fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 24, 2017

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Crossposting from the GPU thread:

So now that it's been announced, I think I can mention it - AMD graciously provided me with a Radeon Pro wx7100 Duo for testing of ProRender and other OpenCL apps. The card is pretty drat nice, and it looks like the MSRP is $999, meaning it could end up being less (all in all an incredible value). Compared to the 32GB W9100 they sent me a little while back, the Pro Duo is a bit more powerful, while using less power and actually having an HDMI output instead of only mini-DP. The w9100 is better for extreme multitasking though; on the Pro Duo, I can render and work at the same time, but it's not as smooth as the 9100, where I could render on two instances of Blender, have a third open for work, be working in Substance Painter and Photoshop while listening to music, all with no slowdown at all. It's also ~$1700 less at current prices, so I think that more than makes up for the worse multitasking performance.

The Radeon Pro Duo (2017) is a dual wx7100 with double the memory per-card (16gb instead of 8, for 32GB total), and gets some pretty excellent performance. The official stats are as follows:

code:
GPU Architecture:		Polaris 10
GPU Process:			14nm
Compute Units:        		72
Clock Speed:			1243 MHz
Stream Processors:		4608
Compute Performance:		11.45 TFLOPs
VRAM:                 		32GB (16GB per GPU)
Memory Bandwidth:     		448 GB/s
TDP:                  		~250w
MSRP:				$999
And here are my benchmarks (i7-6800k @ 4.0GHz, 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM, Win10):

LuxMark
code:
LuxBall:	29,316
Mic:		19,625
Hotel:		6,037
CineBench R15
code:
OpenGL:    	165fps
3DMark
code:
Time Spy:	6943
Fire Strike:	18,199

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ajrosales posted:

this is something I'm working on - a beach house I am designing (in progress). anybody have any comments on this render or things I could do to tweak it?

I'm using Maya, Mental Ray (I don't have Vray), the Sun + Sky settings, and a Depth Pass. I considered the idea of blending in an HDRI pass but I'm not sure about that. I don't usually use many other pass types besides (perhaps fog) so I'm asking to see what other's opinions are.

The goal here is not "super realism". The goal is something that looks realistic but still has a bit of a "dreamy character" to it so that is has some charisma in some way. But I wouldn't mind adding in an extra sense of detail.

I do not know why, but I cannot directly place images on SA anymore so here's a link to it.

Hey cool! What strikes me as maybe detracting from the detail is the very diffuse light from the overcast sky look. Maybe also try putting it in a darker/later in the day setting with lighting from fixtures in the scene. Like the pool perhaps. It looks cool so far

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

Elsa posted:

Hey cool! What strikes me as maybe detracting from the detail is the very diffuse light from the overcast sky look. Maybe also try putting it in a darker/later in the day setting with lighting from fixtures in the scene. Like the pool perhaps. It looks cool so far

Thanks. I think I see what you mean. I was kind of enjoying the "misty" feeling the render had. I forgot to mention that I did add an occlusion pass to give it extra shading depth.

And I did add a bit of noise to the final composite to make it look more organic. I was trying to avoid having to do more accurate internal lighting so that I could let the drawings of the floor plans speak to that instead.

Right now I just have a few area lights inside the building to make it seem like there's something inside there. I suppose I could try brightening them a notch or two but I was actually trying to focus on the exterior more than the interior.

ajrosales fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 24, 2017

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I thought the interior was nice. The exterior could receive some spotlights, even reflections from the ground or the pool. I'm on my phone, I'm not misremembering a pool am I

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

ah.. yeah I hadn't considered that. that might help a bit - I'd have to investigate that. yes there is a pool. and btw I was hoping to make it look more like a saltwater pool so that it isn't so blue and distracting to the render. I was wondering if it looked too opaque though. it might be ok.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

ajrosales posted:

I'm using Maya, Mental Ray (I don't have Vray), the Sun + Sky settings, a Depth Pass and (edit:) an occlusion pass. I considered the idea of blending in an HDRI pass but I'm not sure about that. I don't usually use many other pass types besides (perhaps fog) so I'm asking to see what other's opinions are.

One thing that's getting to me is the water, but I guess it depends on the look you want. I'd scale up & tone down your bump/displacement on it, or maybe get some light sparkling off the surface. It feels like with your sun angle, we should be seeing something on the crests of the ripples. As is it feels more like acrylic than it does water. Maybe adjust your main light or add in some rim lighting to give us some highlights on the edges of things, even if they're real subtle.

Maybe push your saturation a little? It feels like you're trying to hit a nice coastal/tropical palette but it's just shy of being confident. I do like the muted tones, though. Tough choice for me.

e: nothing says "dreamy" like some bloom and glare

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Handiklap posted:

e: nothing says "dreamy" like some scott baio

i just needed to see it