Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

We know the format is going to look like the previous format with one new set stapled on. No sets are leaving, cat combo stays, Gideon stays.

This set has no cards that upend a major dominant deck and I think it actually might've given it some more new tools. New cards will find their way into current decks, at least one new deck will probably get made, that deck is not going to overturn the cat combo.

Manglehorn and the Curse both shut down the Cat Combo and Mardu is just a goodstuff deck...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Manglehorn and the Curse both shut down the Cat Combo and Mardu it just a goodstuff deck...

Wasn't the enchantment terrible with dealing with cat combo in the previous season?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

https://www.isleofcards.com/magic-the-gathering-beginner-guide

This is a very solid "understand pretty much everything you need to understand about the actual game" article, to start with.

Give me a minute for more information than this.

So there are a number of ways to begin actually PLAYING the game, including making completely casual jank decks with cheap cards you get at a game store that look fun to you, to "netdecking" (finding a list online and copying it) budget lists that conform to various formats (which are described in that article I linked), to purchasing pre-made decks and jamming them against each other to learn the game better and figuring out how you might want to change things.

The Duel Decks are kinda fun in that way, in that they aren't strictly overpowered and are usually designed to be somewhat equally matched. An issue I have with them is that they are pretty inconsistent due to the design of the decks themselves.

If you are used to longer multiplayer games in other games you've played, you could get pre-made Commander/EDH decks and just slam those for awhile, and then swap cards in as you learn about them and think they look neat.

I'll get started on that article and let you know what I think, thanks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Strictly casual games with friends/I think collecting WH40K minis is a worthwhile use of my money

Edit: real-life

you just missed the pre-release which is like, aces for casual play

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Manglehorn and the Curse both shut down the Cat Combo and Mardu is just a goodstuff deck...

Both pieces of the cat combo do other things with other cards in the deck so all it does is shut down the combo without accruing advantage. Plus they can just as easily shoot it down and keep right on going.

E: Hell, you can't even play that card while an Oath of Chandra is on the table, they'll happily just flicker it with the Cat and get to comboing.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 24, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deified Data posted:

Strictly casual games with friends/I think collecting WH40K minis is a worthwhile use of my money

So besides what I said in my earlier post, the general way I would tell anyone totally new to the game and didn't already have friends who played would be:

1) Determine how you will actually enjoy the game. EDH/Commander is a hugely popular casual format because it allows you to express yourself in your deck design, play a deck you like to play, and enjoy power-creeping your way up with your friends. "Oh man, Jennifer has this powerful Wrath of God in her deck now? I will have to get something like that for my deck now to compete." However, you can play casual standard and modern with budget decks just as easily, without the long multiplayer games of Commander. If you think that you will enjoy the game by playing in competitive events at stores and win prizes, you will have to learn more about the "metagame" (what decks are good in a format, essentially) and spend a lot more money to compete.

2) Learn the game by reading introduction articles like the one I posted, and buying/playing pre-constructed decks.

3) Modify pre-constructed decks, or look for budget list resources like MTGgoldfish.

4) After you all understand the game well enough, play "Limited" (booster draft) with 6-8 people. You now are playing the best and most pure and true version of the game. Never look back.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think the Standard non-bans kind of solidifies the theory someone posted in here the other day: when you think about decisions WOTC makes about this game, assume they're only considering the dumbest motherfucker on the planet. You know, some dipshit kitchen table player who doesn't even have a DCI number who is mad about the value of his Saheelis.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deified Data posted:

I'll get started on that article and let you know what I think, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmiybB0kLsE

This is a pretty worthwhile watch as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Wasn't the enchantment terrible with dealing with cat combo in the previous season?

It was a bad card you played to deal with it. The best way to fight the combo were Shock and Walking Ballista.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 24, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

The curse might end up being good but Manglehorn seems pretty trivial for a Saheeli deck to get off the board

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

So honest question here, how does cat combo deal with Authority of the Consuls? Unless I'm missing something, doesn't it just shut their whole combo down?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It was a bad card you played to deal with it. The best way to fight to combo were Shock and Walking Ballista.

Isn't that what the curse is?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For all its numerous warts, I found Magic Duels on Steam to be a decent introduction to the mechanics of the game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

poorlywrittennovel posted:

So honest question here, how does cat combo deal with Authority of the Consuls? Unless I'm missing something, doesn't it just shut their whole combo down?

They either board in Fragmentize in expectation of that or they just shrug and play the value plan with you having gone down a card to prevent dying out of nowhere

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

If I used Stinging Shot to put 3 -1/-1 counters on Heart of Kiran while it's crewed, do the counters fall off at the end of the turn when it loses creature status?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Isn't that what the curse is?

Yes but Manglehorn isn't bad.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

"Standard is still hosed" = handwringing, gotcha

gently caress all those tryhards who give a poo poo about a product they (presumably) spend money on.

sit on my Facebook posted:

The curse might end up being good but Manglehorn seems pretty trivial for a Saheeli deck to get off the board

Manglehorn is a comically bad way to answer the combo. If you are putting Manglehorn in your deck against the combo you're probably loving up. It does actual nothing against Saheeli but stop the combo.

It's not the same thing as playing an Eidolon of Rhetoric against a Storm player; they can kill you some way other than the combo and they can remove your Manglehorn.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 24, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Yes but Manglehorn isn't bad.

Manglehorn is much, much better as tech vs. Mardu Vehicles than it is vs. Saheeli.

If you're not hitting an artifact it's probably not worth playing.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

If I used Stinging Shot to put 3 -1/-1 counters on Heart of Kiran while it's crewed, do the counters fall off at the end of the turn when it loses creature status?
Nope, they stick around.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Deified Data posted:

Ask to borrow a deck and play one night so you can get a feel for what everyone's into, there's a vast difference between ppl who just open packs here and there, ppl who do that and occasionally go online to a local shop or a specific card they're missing, and people who play top tier in whatever format.

If your friends are playing top tier modern (or Legacy lmao) decks then you'll just want to borrow decks for a bit I'm sure, but if they're playing with budget decks you can probably just grab a duel deck or a budget deck from mtggoldfish for p cheap

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

No. The counters will still exist. It's the reason why Raging Ravine (a land) has the effect it does.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

do u believe in marigolds posted:

No. The counters will still exist. It's the reason why Raging Ravine (a land) has the effect it does.

It's also why This weird card from Mirage is able to work..

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Okay thanks. Thought so, but figured I'd double check.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Sweet combo with Opalescence

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Or for a more recent relevant example, Untethered Express keeps its +1/+1 counters when not crewed.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The best example is still Raging Ravine.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Posting poo poo that some hack slapped her name on is bad and you should feel bad.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

Posting poo poo that some hack slapped her name on is bad and you should feel bad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mikujin posted:

Why would I give a poo poo who is mentioned on a meme of all things?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Frankly I'm not even convinced that Manglehorn is a good card against Vehicles either. It's good if you shoot down Heart of Kiran but then you have once again spent three mana to answer their two mana threat which is the whole reason it's so hard to beat Vehicles in the first place; it's virtually impossible to be more efficient than them. If it were like a 1/4 or something I'd be more interested but as is it can't beat any of their guys in combat, it's worthless in combat after they have a Gideon emblem, it's likely to trade down in mana. Bleh

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Frankly I'm not even convinced that Manglehorn is a good card against Vehicles either. It's good if you shoot down Heart of Kiran but then you have once again spent three mana to answer their two mana threat which is the whole reason it's so hard to beat Vehicles in the first place; it's virtually impossible to be more efficient than them. If it were like a 1/4 or something I'd be more interested but as is it can't beat any of their guys in combat, it's worthless in combat after they have a Gideon emblem, it's likely to trade down in mana. Bleh

You spent 3 mana to answer it and leave behind a 2/2 with a static ability (which is of admittedly limited relevance). Manglehorn is a great card against Artifact decks.

Sickening posted:

Why would I give a poo poo who is mentioned on a meme of all things?

I have no idea why her existence is so polarizing to internet nerds. Oh wait, yes I do. A healthy mix of thirst, people upset over the thirsty people, misogyny, and guilt by association.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 24, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Vehicles is only just barely an artifact deck though, isn't it? Don't most lists have like 7-9 artifacts? 4 being Scrapheap Scrounger, which is not really meaningfully answered by the 'horn

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vehicles is only just barely an artifact deck though, isn't it? Don't most lists have like 7-9 artifacts? 4 being Scrapheap Scrounger, which is not really meaningfully answered by the 'horn

Usually 4 hearts, 4 scrapheap, 4 ballistas (if they are playing the more midrange version)
Also got to make sure those clues come into play tapped.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pretty hosed up that wizards thought doomsday was too good and killed it in legacy

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

You spent 3 mana to answer it and leave behind a 2/2 with a static ability (which is of admittedly limited relevance). Manglehorn is a great card against Artifact decks.

I have no idea why her existence is so polarizing to internet nerds. Oh wait, yes I do. A healthy mix of thirst, people upset over the thirsty people, misogyny, and guilt by association.

I had to google who it was. Has she featured Alex in anything she has ever done MTG wise? What has she ever done that people are upset about besides date someone they don't like?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

"We have not seen the movement in the format we had hoped for with the Grand Prix in the latter half of the season, but we still believe we need to gather more data—particularly with an eye toward the effect of Amonkhet on the Pro Tour"

How much more evidence does anyone need that everyone in this process is out of touch?

It has nothing to do with gathering data. That is the bullshit they say when they mean "we desperately hope that the collective playerbase finds a way out of this mess for us because more bans are going to erode consumer confidence badly." It probably won't happen but they want to let the format have a shot of pulling up for the loving dive it is in now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ideally you're blowing up a Heart and trading with a Scrounger, which is more than enough value for 3 mana. Even if you kill a Scrounger and then trade with it again, its a good deal. The body isn't big but having 2 power means it does meaningfully block some of their aggressive plays. And sure, an opponent can theoretically can kill Manglehorn, but it isn't likely they're going to spend a card on killing a 2/2 with a relatively marginal static ability.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm just still mad they didn't even give Smuggler's Copter a god drat chance in a format with Fatal Push.

Then Manglehorn was also in their list of Things They're Printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Yah that's true. I forgot about Ballista being a thing in it now too.