Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

some guy on the bus posted:

No, it would have also been perfectly fine if he said "I wasn't really paying attention, I was thinking about Blitzball." This is what any teenager would think about getting told about a weird boring religion. He was definitely not a jerk because he didn't even say anything out loud. He was respectfully staying silent while the priests droned on.

Are you saying teenagers aren't jerks? I have ample anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

And this wasn't some guy telling you about Jesus maybe dying and maybe coming back to life 2000 years ago. He's telling Tidus the only way to defeat Sin. Tidus specifically went to the Temple because he was told it was the Summoner's job to kill that giant doomwhale that destroyed his home.

I would think he'd value that information.

I'm not saying he's an actual bad person, and he does undergo character development over the rather long game, but I just don't usually think of Tidus as one of the more dickish MC's.Perhaps he's not, I was just reconsidering things.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if i'm remembering right that scene happens early enough in ffx that tidus mostly just cares about finding out how to get home, it's not until auron comes around and tells him about jecht that he's really invested in defeating sin

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you saying teenagers aren't jerks? I have ample anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

And this wasn't some guy telling you about Jesus maybe dying and maybe coming back to life 2000 years ago. He's telling Tidus the only way to defeat Sin. Tidus specifically went to the Temple because he was told it was the Summoner's job to kill that giant doomwhale that destroyed his home.

I would think he'd value that information.

I'm not saying he's an actual bad person, and he does undergo character development over the rather long game, but I just don't usually think of Tidus as one of the more dickish MC's.Perhaps he's not, I was just reconsidering things.

He's absolutely a self-absorbed twat when he first gets transported to Spira, the point of the story is how he realizes that is the case and grows beyond it to the point where he makes a sacrifice to hopefully make things better for everyone.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
this is MY story

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I want an alternate cut of FFX where Tidus actually was just some dude who had his memories hosed up by Sin's toxin and is really nothing more than some dude who's pretty decent at Blitzball.

Jecht's still Sin, but has no connection to the totally mundane Tidus. He lets down his guard by seeing some really rad Blitzball playin'.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tidus has daddy issues with a side of abandonment and his story arc is him realizing how his rear end in a top hat dad actually cared for him (in his own dumb way).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Bravely Second has officially sold 700K worldwide, which is a step down from BD's 1 million+ number but is still pretty darn good for the game, especially when they reused as many assets as they did.

For some reason I had a hard time getting into Bravely Second, even though I loved Bravely Default. Maybe I played it at the wrong time, like I wasn't ready for a big JRPG at the time that I first played it. It has such fun jobs, too, and I thought it was really smart that they foregrounded the new, non-Final Fantasy jobs so that you're immediately able to do a bunch of stuff you couldn't in Bravely Default.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I always thought it was weird that Tidus was a renowned Blitzball player but fought with a sword, whereas Wakka is a washed up Blitzball player that plays for the Spira equivalent of the Cleveland Browns fights with a Blitzball.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wakka puts so much power into every blitz kick that he had to retire from blitzball at the grizzled old age of 23.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

zedprime posted:

Wakka puts so much power into every blitz kick that he had to retire from blitzball at the grizzled old age of 23.

Have you seen how much damage Wakka can do with a blitzball?

Now imagine the damage from someone good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

I always thought it was weird that Tidus was a renowned Blitzball player but fought with a sword, whereas Wakka is a washed up Blitzball player that plays for the Spira equivalent of the Cleveland Browns fights with a Blitzball.

Well that's the problem, if Wakka was good at blitzball he'd be using the ball to play blitzball.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah. Wakka is poo poo at blitzball, but good at killing poo poo with a ball. So, win for team save the world I guess?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wakka is extremely good at Blitzball. So good in fact he's not actually allowed to play at full power because he'll murder the opponents. Literally murder them. So he's actually seemingly really lovely because he's constantly holding back.

Tidus actually sucks at Blitzball fundamentals but he's really good at beating the poo poo out of people in a way that translates into being good at Blitzball.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

seiferguy posted:

To continue this thought, Wakka is basically a retired and failed Cleveland Browns player who carries around a football with him and throws it at peoples' heads when he gets into disagreements with them. Can't believe I was surprised to find out Wakka was a big ol racist.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

bloodychill posted:

failed Cleveland Browns player

No need to be redundant.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Wakka might be one of the better blitzball players if you've lost your mind and decide to play it up to level 99 (and his salary is only 1 gil per game)

but there are a lot of weird things with blitzball like I think keepa ends up having the highest shot stat in the game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

but there are a lot of weird things with blitzball like I think keepa ends up having the highest shot stat in the game

yes! he does get 99sht, but who gives a poo poo because i think the best one he can learn is sphere shot. the only stat that really matters is speed because it directly affects the active gameplay that isn't subject to rng; everything else is abilities.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Related to this I'm watching the Men Drinkin' Coffee LP of FFX2 and what was the consensus, at the time of its release, of FFX2 music and usage thereof
Because holy poo poo it's so bad
Long rear end dungeons playing an incredibly lovely and aggravating 20 second song that loops forever and ever and when you finally fight the boss of the dungeon it's like the remaining 40 seconds of the song but it also loops forever and ever
And the battle music is this atonal guitar riffing and whining that seems to have no direction other than it's the early 2000's, go wild with your electric guitar and whatever home consumer grade music editing software was popular at the time

Surely I'm not alone in thinking this

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I liked the music

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

morallyobjected posted:

I liked the music

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Related to this I'm watching the Men Drinkin' Coffee LP of FFX2 and what was the consensus, at the time of its release, of FFX2 music and usage thereof
Because holy poo poo it's so bad
Long rear end dungeons playing an incredibly lovely and aggravating 20 second song that loops forever and ever and when you finally fight the boss of the dungeon it's like the remaining 40 seconds of the song but it also loops forever and ever
And the battle music is this atonal guitar riffing and whining that seems to have no direction other than it's the early 2000's, go wild with your electric guitar and whatever home consumer grade music editing software was popular at the time

Surely I'm not alone in thinking this

It's by far the weakest OST in the whole series. It has a few truly amazing pieces now and then but the songs you will hear with any regularity are total garbage.

Also this could very well be the single worst song in FF history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGIN2jkZVjE

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I KNOW YOUR HIDING THINGS, USING GENTLE WORDS TO COMFORT ME

EDIT: oh gently caress its shelter me. GIMME SHELTER

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

NikkolasKing posted:

It's by far the weakest OST in the whole series. It has a few truly amazing pieces now and then but the songs you will hear with any regularity are total garbage.

Also this could very well be the single worst song in FF history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGIN2jkZVjE

You FUCKER now I have this poo poo stuck in my head on loop
You have objectively made my life worse

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What is the general consensus on X-2? I'm still working my way through X trying to be a completionist and really enjoying it, but I was looking forward to playing around with the job system in X-2 once I finish X. Weak music but hopefully otherwise good?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That ost is miserable and miserably presented. At the time of release all the focus was on the polarizing jpop aspect so no one talked much about the regular ost.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cinnamon Bear posted:

What is the general consensus on X-2? I'm still working my way through X trying to be a completionist and really enjoying it, but I was looking forward to playing around with the job system in X-2 once I finish X. Weak music but hopefully otherwise good?

Game is hella good. The soundtrack has some good tracks and some stinkers. It is uneven.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cinnamon Bear posted:

It's ridiculously easy, even by FF standards.
The cast is good except Rikku who they ruined after X.
If you liked X for its dark tone or something to that effect, you might dislike X-2. Also if you liked Pure Miko Yuna you might be disappointed.
The plot is like, 30% of the game. I remember my first run of X-2 from over ten years ago now where I barely did any sidequests and I distinctly recall my completion % was in the 30s. Some of the side content is good but a lot of it is really terrible. But in a game where less than half of it is the main story, you kind of have to do some side stuff or risk your RPG timesink leaving you unfulfilled.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
At the time of release, I liked X-2's soundtrack a bunch but it was still disappointing how everything was a short loop. The Aeon theme in particular I liked, but it's way too short so it became quickly annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDp_yI5_EPc

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Good mechanics, a bunch of annoying side missions, story has a kinda good angle but doesn't entirely live up to the premise.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I can't say I cared for X-2 much. The music, as said, is god-awful and I couldn't stand it. They went a bit far making some characters "zany" to the point where they are completely obnoxious and unlikable. I like the battle system as a whole, but unfortunately you don't actually USE it that much because 80% of the game is lovely awful minigames. I didn't like its implementation of the job system nearly as much as FFV or FFT, as you're rather limited in how much you can mix abilities and skillsets. But even parts of the battle system are clumsy, like there's a "chaining" mechanic, but it operates in real-time on a menu-based game, and it comes off awkward. The chaining has very limited windows, and your characters will end up getting caught on the geometry of other characters and screw up their attack timing, even if you do navigate the menus quickly enough.

The story pacing is pretty bad. Nothing happens for like the first 3 chapters at all. There are five chapters, I think, and one of them consists ENTIRELY of you watching CCTV feeds.

Then there's the terrible % completion mechanic that everyone hates.

Still... battle system is pretty fun.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

there is no general consensus, on anything ever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

there is no general consensus, on anything ever

The general consensus is that Final Fantasy 1 is the first Final Fantasy game and Final Fantasy XV is the most recent Final Fantasy game.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

The general consensus is that Final Fantasy 1 is the first Final Fantasy game and Final Fantasy XV is the most recent Final Fantasy game.
This is incorrect.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

:yikes:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

but, it should be noted far from the fifteenth game in the series, which as far as I can tell, not counting rereleases, was FFVI.

FFX-2 is cool and good and one of my favourites to this day, even with Brother's creepiness.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

the first ff was dragon warrior you fool

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

the first ff was dragon warrior you fool
The first game was Cruise Chaser Blassty. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pApvuKR9iSY&t=80s

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 25, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

but, it should be noted far from the fifteenth game in the series, which as far as I can tell, not counting rereleases, was FFVI.

So Final Fantasy 15 was fantastic after all...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Now let's not get crazy here.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

But that's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

the first final fantasy game was rad racer