Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

JawnV6 posted:

I don't see how that's useful though.
As I said in my post, I'd like to not have plot movement triggered by the "machina" in "deus ex machina." My own opinion aside, it just plain matters if you see future tech being used in the past. Being shown a world that's in the 70's get interrupted by a technology from the 00's means 1 of 2 things: Either there's time travel or there's deus ex machina. This does not include alternate-tech, which was used liberally in the show to fantastic use, via the cloth monitors and the strange floaty orb. Bioshock Infinite is a good example for why seeing anachronistic tech is thematically important. This is why I wonder when Legion takes place.

JawnV6 posted:

Why? The in-universe characters say the exact time he's been under, there's no need for speculation or guesswork based on his habits or dress. Furthermore, given that he's completely forgotten his marriage, it might be fair to say that he's regressed back to some happier time in his life. How unreasonable would it be for an average Dad isolated in the Astral plane to relive his college years when the music made sense and the bra might never come back?
Ah yeah, just further obfuscation. For sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
or its not 'earth' because its theres mutants and all sorts of other fantasy/sci-fi poo poo going on

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
What powers did David lose when he broke up with the Shadow King? Shadow King can teleport right, and probably like large scale telekinetic stuff? He had to use them to hold those soldiers in a big ball, so I'm guessing he can't do stuff like that any more. The teleporting/disintegrating thing seems pretty SK as well. What does that leave David with? The power to create mind palaces and telepathy?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Megaspel posted:

What powers did David lose when he broke up with the Shadow King? Shadow King can teleport right, and probably like large scale telekinetic stuff? He had to use them to hold those soldiers in a big ball, so I'm guessing he can't do stuff like that any more. The teleporting/disintegrating thing seems pretty SK as well. What does that leave David with? The power to create mind palaces and telepathy?

My take on it was that Shadow King had rocking telepathy and that's it, but then he started pulling off wild powers in other people's bodies so now I'm not as sure. I feel like it's more likely that King picked up some powers from being in David for so long, rather than David only having those powers because of Shadow King's presence.

Still, it makes sense to depower David somewhat in season 2, since otherwise it basically boils down to finding out where Shadow King is, and as soon as you do David should be able to poof right to him and defeat him fairly easily. He could probably even handle the finding telepathically. I'd totally get behind David finding himself suddenly far less crazy, but much weaker since Shadow King was actually revving up his powers to the max for his own purposes, and now he has to put in the time to actually learn how to handle all the crazy stuff he can do, maybe generally focusing on learning one fancy power at a time.

Ultimately, whatever Hawley comes up with will inevitably be awesome though, so I ain't worried.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's no real reason to think that David has lost any powers since they never really set a difference between David's and SK's. SK could have been using David's powers the whole time so he could be the one depowered, or dependent on whatever powers (they seemed to imply psychic) that Oliver has.

You can depower David just by not having him understand how to use his powers without SK helping. After all, he was never in control except when SK was controlling him.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They should probably go the multiple personalities with different powers route like the comics.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

One thing I'm stoked about we'll probably see more of "The Eye," since David has a penchant for absorbing the psyches/powers of those he's killed

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Slightly Absurd posted:

we'll probably see more of "The Eye,"

I see what you did there :haw:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Urrrghhh bingewatching the entire series while suffering a fever was a terrible idea. I just had a night of intense and terrifying Legion-themed nightmares of being trapped in endless shifting corridors covered in locked doors and nonsensical looping rooms.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Urrrghhh bingewatching the entire series while suffering a fever was a terrible idea. I just had a night of intense and terrifying Legion-themed nightmares of being trapped in endless shifting corridors covered in locked doors and nonsensical looping rooms.

I herd u wuz possessed by Aubrey Plaza.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

bad news you never made it out

*flickers between Action Duck and a huge fat guy*

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm on episode 5, this show is great.

Question: in the first episode, who fries all those D3 dudes at the pool?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

I'm on episode 5, this show is great.

Question: in the first episode, who fries all those D3 dudes at the pool?

The series never explicitly names or explains who the pyro is, but the only mutant-affiliated person who hasn't had their powers revealed is Melanie. But it's also possible that Melanie is powerless and someone else was involved? No one knows.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The series never explicitly names or explains who the pyro is, but the only mutant-affiliated person who hasn't had their powers revealed is Melanie. But it's also possible that Melanie is powerless and someone else was involved? No one knows.

Ok I wondered if it was going to pop up again at some point.

Lenny the therapist starting ep 6 is great

This show does just the right amount of artsy mindfuck

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Going to spoiler since Pellisworth is watching

It's David/SK. When he goes back to get his sister, the aftermath of his visit is people teleported into walls and there's videos explicitly showing him blowing people up.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

DaveKap posted:

Stop me if this conversation happened already but what year do you think this show takes place in? Every time I ask or search, the answer is either "it's supposed to be ambiguous," "it doesn't matter, we're just seeing it through David's crazy eyes," or "the 80s." Yet David's sister asks if she can e-mail her husband, which places it in the late 90s at a minimum. What do you folks think?

19XX, obviously.

but seriously, though, why does it need to take place in a particular year? I kind of like the melange of anachronisms. Based on what we've seen and heard, it is impossible for it to be any year, iirc. There are contradictory facts and references. I love it, but I guess I get why wiki-nerds hate it. Noah Hawley seems to be making it part of his mission to troll those people. :allears:

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

DaveKap posted:

Stop me if this conversation happened already but what year do you think this show takes place in?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfjsLmya1PI

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Spatula City posted:

I love it, but I guess I get why wiki-nerds hate it. Noah Hawley seems to be making it part of his mission to troll those people. :allears:

Sure, the time period thing is a non-issue and adds to the show instead of detracting, but Hawley trolling "wiki-nerds" (whatever that is unless you just mean people who obsessively edit wiki pages)? :cmon:

I don't think Hawley is being disingenuous, insincere, or trolling anyone.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DivisionPost posted:

Word on the street is that it's entirely Ike Perlmutter being a petty douche. Keep in mind, though, that Perlmutter makes a convenient fall guy for anyone and anything because if you're even halfway familiar with what goes on behind the scenes at Marvel, your reflexive response to hearing that name is most likely "gently caress IKE PERLMUTTER."

I wouldn't try to blame this on anyone specifically, this is one of those things where it kinda makes sense to keep the divide between TV and movies. Coulson's death was a major plot beat in their multi-billion-dollar movie franchise that draws millions of viewers who don't follow Marvel on the internet and couldn't have picked Captain America out of a lineup before he was played by Chris Evans. You can't just have Coulson pop up in the next movie and say "Yeah, I was resurrected on this low-rated TV show that hardly anyone in the theater knows about, so don't worry about all that grief from before."

DaveKap posted:

As I said in my post, I'd like to not have plot movement triggered by the "machina" in "deus ex machina." My own opinion aside, it just plain matters if you see future tech being used in the past. Being shown a world that's in the 70's get interrupted by a technology from the 00's means 1 of 2 things: Either there's time travel or there's deus ex machina. This does not include alternate-tech, which was used liberally in the show to fantastic use, via the cloth monitors and the strange floaty orb.

To be honest, I thought the floaty orb was pretty deus ex machina. That was a level of technology head and shoulders above what we're shown previously, and it begs the question why they didn't use it right away. Or why they have enemies at all, if they can just suck them up into a pokeball. It may be explained really well next season, but out of nowhere it seemed pretty jarring, and felt like a weird misstep.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phenotype posted:

To be honest, I thought the floaty orb was pretty deus ex machina. That was a level of technology head and shoulders above what we're shown previously, and it begs the question why they didn't use it right away. Or why they have enemies at all, if they can just suck them up into a pokeball. It may be explained really well next season, but out of nowhere it seemed pretty jarring, and felt like a weird misstep.

:same:
Given it's track record, though, I expect there to be a --and excuse me for saying this-- drat fine explanation, drat fine.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just finished, great show. Particularly enjoyed the acting, visuals, and mindfuck aspects. I'm glad they didn't kill off the SK, I was wondering toward the end what they would do with a second season without a mind parasite to drive David insane. If he's a completely sane and grounded super-powerful mutant that would make the show a lot less interesting. I love the Oliver and Lenny characters and actors, look forward to seeing more of them.

Spatula City posted:

19XX, obviously.

but seriously, though, why does it need to take place in a particular year? I kind of like the melange of anachronisms. Based on what we've seen and heard, it is impossible for it to be any year, iirc. There are contradictory facts and references. I love it, but I guess I get why wiki-nerds hate it. Noah Hawley seems to be making it part of his mission to troll those people. :allears:

Yeah it's all over the place. The only reference to the year was Oliver asks David if there's still free love and David says nope. Then Melanie later says Oliver has been trapped on the astral plane for 21 years. So, going off that it'd be late 80s or so.

Aleph Null posted:

:same:
Given it's track record, though, I expect there to be a --and excuse me for saying this-- drat fine explanation, drat fine.

The pokeball was weird but yeah I trust the showrunners to have a good reason for it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah it's all over the place. The only reference to the year was Oliver asks David if there's still free love and David says nope. Then Melanie later says Oliver has been trapped on the astral plane for 21 years. So, going off that it'd be late 80s or so.

The ex "Philly" was using a flat screen monitor. I got my first one in 2004.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Oliver controlled by sk is going to be the coolest villain ever. Wanna have a beer with that guy/guys.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

Oliver controlled by sk is going to be the coolest villain ever. Wanna have a beer with that guy/guys.

hell yes

Oliver with SK as Lenny

Oliver grooving to jazz music, sipping a whisky while Lenny gives you crazy eyes
SK is eating you

King the dog, Angriest Boy, and the SK true form are good for some shock factor but Lenny is really the best incarnation of SK

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Why is he still using Lenny's image? Does he just like the look?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

El Jeffe posted:

Hard to say for certain given how you can't see her full outfit, but it kind of looked like she was wearing a qipao (and had straightened hair), so she could be his Asian wife.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 24, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

El Jeffe posted:

Because Aubrey Plaza killed it in the roll. They'll make up an in-universe reason, but that's the reason.
And I agree.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I hadn't seen her in anything but parks and rec so I thought she was pretty one dimensional acting wise but she slayed that role. I'm now a fan of hers.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Field Mousepad posted:

Is he really being controlled? It seemed more partner like for some reason.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Harry posted:

Is he really being controlled? It seemed more partner like for some reason.

That's how SK works. It plays your best friend. It was literally a dog when it first manifested to David.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

El Jeffe posted:

He's not really a person, or a he, so all the images it chooses to project are equally affectation. It's as much the vamp as the fat man, and it's really neither. Both are ways of expressing the hedonistic side of itself. It's truest form is probably the one it called it's favorite, The World's Angriest Boy. That's all it really is. Just pure nihilistic hatred that wants to tear everyone and everything else to pieces. The hedonism is just a way of expressing it's power and superiority before it gets down to oblivion.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Aleph Null posted:

That's how SK works. It plays your best friend. It was literally a dog when it first manifested to David.

That's because he was slowly learning his mind to take him over. This was much more obvious and out in the open.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

fancy stats posted:

Hard to say for certain given how you can't see her full outfit, but it kind of looked like she was wearing a qipao (and had straightened hair), so she could be his Asian wife.

Haha. Has Marvel ever cast an Asian person in any of their leading roles?

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

El Jeffe posted:

Didn't he say something about that "body" being his favorite?

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

anothergod posted:

Agent May

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The female lead in iron fist is pretty Asian. Granted that show sucks but still.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Lenny is by far the creepiest and best-done of the SK manifestations, the actress did a great job and her and Oliver are going to make a fantastic villain duo. Oliver asks "where should we look first" and Lenny says "south where it's warm." My bet is that SK wants to assemble his own team of mutants to go against Team Legion and SK is going to be a long-term villain which is great.

Collateral posted:

The ex "Philly" was using a flat screen monitor. I got my first one in 2004.

Yeah the show is all over the place in terms of costumes, tech, aesthetics, it's clearly meant to be ambiguous. The locations too, right? I don't think it's ever mentioned where any of this is taking place other than the name of the mental hospital and that David's childhood house is in upstate NY. So presumably they are somewhere near there.

anothergod posted:

It was cool that female Cary was Native American, at least.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

anothergod posted:

Daisy and May in AOS. Though I guess you could argue that is an ensemble cast.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Lenny is by far the creepiest and best-done of the SK manifestations, the actress did a great job and her and Oliver are going to make a fantastic villain duo. Oliver asks "where should we look first" and Lenny says "south where it's warm." My bet is that SK wants to assemble his own team of mutants to go against Team Legion and SK is going to be a long-term villain which is great.

I've seen speculation that he's looking for Farouk's body because it's immortal or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Field Mousepad posted:

The female lead in iron fist is pretty Asian. Granted that show sucks but still.

I have a nasty secret to confess.

I liked Iron Fist a lot :blush: