Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Wizards banning Top shows that they perhaps care about the format (right or wrong). The lack of Wizards events for the format proves otherwise though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

Resleeved my Vintage deck in KMC Perfect Hards today, and it's definitely better protected now. The problem is that it no longer fits in my UltraPro Pro-Deck Box, and all the work (and money) into foiling it out has basically been undone. It's so tough to get light to hit the cards right for foiling to show up at all with the thicker, cloudier Hards.

Any extra-large deck box recommendations? Preferably something with like one big compartment for the deck, and one smaller one for Mentor tokens, or just one large compartment. I don't want to do a double-box and break the deck in half when I put it away.

Sorry for your Monday

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well everyone have fun playing the Deathrite mirrors forever and probably losing to Elves while doing it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

kirtar posted:

RIP MIracles

Exactly. RIP Miracles is where to be right now :getin:

But in all seriousness, the decks that get better are mostly slow storm, lands, High Tide, elves, and RUG Delver at first glance. RIP/helm is awesome already and between that and blood moon nearly all those decks except high-tide are very soft to that particular combination of hate pieces. At least thats where I'm gonna be starting from for a post-top control list in legacy.

Also a moment of silence for the last Weissman style deck that was still tier 1 in any format.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

Also a moment of silence for the last Weissman style deck that was still tier 1 in any format.

This is the great loss today

The end of an era

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Well everyone have fun playing the Deathrite mirrors forever and probably losing to Elves while doing it.

I'm sorry for confusing your perspective on this ban w/ McMagic steve

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

RUG Delver being completely unplayable has nothing to do with Miracles. It might get better because of no Countertop but it's still wildly unplayable.

But hey, now we have even more evidence that if a bunch of people who don't actually play a fomat but have a louder voice whine about a card enough WotC will ban it.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

L0cke17 posted:

Exactly. RIP Miracles is where to be right now :getin:

But in all seriousness, the decks that get better are mostly slow storm, lands, High Tide, elves, and RUG Delver at first glance. RIP/helm is awesome already and between that and blood moon nearly all those decks except high-tide are very soft to that particular combination of hate pieces. At least thats where I'm gonna be starting from for a post-top control list in legacy.

High Tide player here. I appreciate your optimism!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm sorry for confusing your perspective on this ban w/ McMagic steve

I don't know if I should say it's ok or be offended that you thought I would say whatever it was that he said.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So I should mb my Leyline/Helm of Obedience combo in Loam Depths now is what you're saying?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

So I should mb my Leyline/Helm of Obedience combo now is what you're saying?

You should probably not play the deck but yes. My friend and I brewed a RiP/Helm version of Miracles a few weeks ago to deal with all the Deathrite decks and it was doing pretty well.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

You should probably not play the deck but yes. My friend and I brewed a RiP/Helm version of Miracles a few weeks ago to deal with all the Deathrite decks and it was doing pretty well.

OK, what do I cut/swap?

I have the other pieces to lean more towards the Dark Depths combo or more towards Pox/Sinkholing them into the ground or a pure discard strategy, so other suggestions welcome. Maindeck Leyline of the Void feels super-spicy already.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
As a former Miracles player, I'm surprised it took this long. I think it'll be nice to not have to wait 20 minutes after each round for the guy who built Miracles last week to get that 1-0-1 win. I don't have a problem with the deck in a vacuum, but I do have a problem with it being top dog meaning a lot of players jump on the bandwagon and have no idea how to pilot it efficiently.

Part of that's on judges for allowing so much slow play. At GP Orlando I saw a lot of rounds in my side events where people would play quickly in their third game suddenly, but the second time is called they both breathe a sigh of relief and settle in for 15 minutes of durdling.

Full disclosure, though; I play Elves, so this is loving awesome for my deck. I was actually contemplating taking it apart and unloading my Cradles if there wasn't a shake-up soon.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sorry for your Monday

I'll survive... somehow... :cry:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

suicidesteve posted:

I mostly play Elves and I have long argued against banning anything in Miracles, and that if they did it should be the 1-mana sweeper, not the durdle artifact.

I'm not sure what this means for Elves in general. Clearly this was one of our worst matchups, but if the meta shifts to being 15% elves suddenly, then decks that typically don't pack sweepers will start boarding them in. So Legacy goes, I guess.

I wonder if my Cradles are going to start appreciating faster than usual.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I'm not gonna piss and moan about it, but Doomsday was the only thing keeping me playing MTG, and after having every. single. modern deck I thought was kind of neat end up banned, I think WoTC and I just have different ideas of fun. Time to part ways.

Anyone have any tips for selling off a collection? Tcgplayer/Ebay still the way to go?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

RIP/helm is awesome already and between that and blood moon nearly all those decks except high-tide are very soft to that particular combination of hate pieces

finally, The Mighty Quinn will have its day in the sun

e: oh god damnit I just remembered I was running tops and terminus in my version. WIZARDS!!!!

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 24, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Gnumonic posted:

I'm not gonna piss and moan about it, but Doomsday was the only thing keeping me playing MTG, and after having every. single. modern deck I thought was kind of neat end up banned, I think WoTC and I just have different ideas of fun. Time to part ways.

Anyone have any tips for selling off a collection? Tcgplayer/Ebay still the way to go?

Well for starters, Doomsday seems like exactly the kind of deck that doesn't rely on a single card to operate, so I'm sure you'll be fine if you stick with it.

If you're committed, though, at least take it to the Buy/Sell thread first. TCGPlayer/eBay are good if you're willing to put the time into selling singles, if you just want it gone try to find a big SCG/GP event in your area.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Well for starters, Doomsday seems like exactly the kind of deck that doesn't rely on a single card to operate, so I'm sure you'll be fine if you stick with it.

If you're committed, though, at least take it to the Buy/Sell thread first. TCGPlayer/eBay are good if you're willing to put the time into selling singles, if you just want it gone try to find a big SCG/GP event in your area.

Legacy Doomsday requires SDT to function. I'm saying that as someone who has played the deck thousands of times online and goldfished it for hundreds of hours in person. The Stormboards is basically in farewell/reminiscence mode at the moment, and if those guys are giving up then you can be sure the deck is dead.

Thanks for the tip about SCG/GPs though. I'll hit up the next one that's close and clear everything out.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

Thanks for the tip about SCG/GPs though. I'll hit up the next one that's close and clear everything out.

As someone who just dumped 90% of my collection, I can say that using TCGPlayer for anything over $20 buylist is a big help. Basically, grab Scryglass, scan your collection, and buylist out anything that's under $20, then take the high-end singles and sell them on your own. I used CK because they're local to me, but also because they pay the most (because their sell prices are so much higher than everyone else). Vendors at a GP are OK I guess, but they'll lowball you as much as they can get away with, since you're captive to the six or seven of them buying.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Gnumonic posted:

Theres also a thread in S-mart that you can sell in, and its quite active.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thank loving God, took long enough

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BORN TO PLOW
META IS A gently caress
GRIP EM ALL 1990
I am green man
410,757,864,530 DEAD TOPS

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

BORN TO PLOW
META IS A gently caress
GRIP EM ALL 1990
I am green man

Lol

And what a day whew

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

BORN TO PLOW
META IS A gently caress
GRIP EM ALL 1990
I am green man

Correct

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Gnumonic posted:

Three options.

Sell locally for max money (don't lose any on fees) and take A TON of time to do it. This is the max effort, max money option.

Sell on something like TCG/eBay and lose about 15% on fee's, also comes with the hassle of shipping your cards. This is somewhere in the middle.

Sell to a middle man, like myself, who will pay you for your collection and slowly part it out over time for some profit. This is the least effort, least risk, and least money option.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Anyone in this thread going to Vegas in June? I'm trying to figure out what to play and test beforehand. My three options right now:

ANT
Aluren with Mesmeric Fiend for all the fast combo I expect to pop up with Miracle's demise
This

that last one is what i am leaning towards because it is sweet but i suspect my testing will reveal it to be Very Bad

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't know a lot about Legacy, someone tell me how the sudden demise of Miracles affects my plans to build Reanimator.

You have a singleton Top in there so I wouldn't run the deck as-is :v:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Anyone in this thread going to Vegas in June? I'm trying to figure out what to play and test beforehand. My three options right now:

ANT
Aluren with Mesmeric Fiend for all the fast combo I expect to pop up with Miracle's demise
This

that last one is what i am leaning towards because it is sweet but i suspect my testing will reveal it to be Very Bad

I'm gonna be there playing the best deck in all formats, burn.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
So sense my deck of almost 4 years is no longer someone convince me of something to play. Right Now I'm Missing cradles from elves and the lands from dredge. Or do I just play 4 color pile control

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

burn is actually pretty great if people are playing BUG durdle town and eldrazi and other decks that fold to price of progress

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Even as a 12 Post player, I may actually be more upset that I never got around to sleeving up Thought Lash combo for one more night of laughter and explaining what my cards do before it died than I am about Miracles. And losing Top for Post itself, but I'm pretty sure Miracles biting the dust hurts Post way more than losing Top did. Looks like it's time to pivot to Colorless Green Post for giggles and finally get around to building Lands.

I still can't believe they were dumb enough to ban Top instead of Terminus but enh actually I totally can.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I don't know a lot about Legacy, someone tell me how the sudden demise of Miracles affects my plans to build Reanimator.

oh i missed this before. so a lot of the chatter has been how about fast combo gets better. my suspicion is that people will actually over compensate for this and play a lot of hateful combo cards including graveyard hate. then we'll have 3 months of people abrupt decaying Leovolds and everyone will forget all about Reanimate and you'll be golden

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

wiskibubbles posted:

So sense my deck of almost 4 years is no longer someone convince me of something to play. Right Now I'm Missing cradles from elves and the lands from dredge. Or do I just play 4 color pile control

UWx stoneblade is a pretty natural place to go for ex-miracles pilots. A full 4-color build placed OK at the Worcester open.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Gnumonic posted:

I'm feeling very the same. I sold out of paper a while ago, and was just about to buy into doomsday on MTGO. Its the only magic deck I enjoy enough to devote money to any more. I sold my collection on SA Mart. Some goon bought the whole thing for roughly 5% below TCG low. Pretty hassle free.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

SDT was hugely important to that deck. Aside from just filtering. It let you have a permanent draw source to get into piles with. It let you cast things with LED. It turned chain of vapor into a 1U removal spell that cantrips. It added 1-2 extra storm to common piles. It was arguably as important to Doomsday as it was to Miracles, both decks certainly made full use of it beyond draw fixing.

Gnumonic posted:

Legacy Doomsday requires SDT to function. I'm saying that as someone who has played the deck thousands of times online and goldfished it for hundreds of hours in person. The Stormboards is basically in farewell/reminiscence mode at the moment, and if those guys are giving up then you can be sure the deck is dead.

Yea, I've been reading stormboards, its a bit depressing. A couple guys are going to stick with it. One guy is trying bauble and second sunrise which just sounds like good fun. If Doomsday is still alive after this I think its as a blue control deck with combo finish. I don't see a fast version competing with ANT any more.
On the bright side, its worst match-up is gone and you don't need green for abrupt decay any more.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Yep.. It's time to move toward UW D&T style deck. No reason not to use all my left over cards from miracles.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So Perish or Virtue's Ruin out of BG shells?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Why would you play either of those cards? Engineered Plague.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

ANT
This

I'll be there running Grixis Delver, Aggro Loam, or Grixis Reanimator depending on what I get the most reps in with beforehand. Definitely up for testing via XMage or Cockatrice or something.

Joe Lossett of all people pointed out on Twitter that Blood Moon just got a LOT better, which may cause Sneak Attack decks to come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah I'm tempted to swap to UWR blade with maindeck blood moons.