Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Okay so I've been fighting the most nightmarish battle of my adult era.

It's been warming up quickly in Phoenix, and I've gotten into the habit of drunkenly mowing the lawn in the middle of the night (push mower, don't worry about the neighbors). However, two weeks ago, I went out with my headlamp and push mower as usual, and noticed that the ground underneath the fallen leaves was...moving.

Cockroaches! Thousands of them! The entire yard, especially on one side of the house, was a carpet of cockroaches. Terrifying! I ended up running inside, and pondering my options. I mean, I had seen one or two before, in the garage when turning on the light, but I thought a bug-bomb had taken care of them. Apparently not. There is a tree that, in this season, is dropping tiny leaves all over the lawn, and also apparently, dead/dying leaves are the perfect environment for them.

Two nights ago, I had one crawl over my arm while in the bedroom, right after doing an adult activity. I lost. my. poo poo.

The past two days, I have spent $200 or so at Home Depot and other places, buying boric acid powder, sprays, fumigators, and poison pills. I also bought two different bags of insecticide, and a little crank-powered fertilizer spreader.

I spread the two types of insecticide all around the house, put boric acid piles in all the inside and outside corners of every room and the exterior wall, lined the windowsills and door sills with the same boric acid, and put the clear gel-type poison all around the edges of every cabinet and appliance in the kitchen. I also threw those (I'm assuming boric acid and permetherin) bait/poison pills in the backs of every drawer and cabinet, and also behind every appliance.

The past 48 hours have been a shitshow. Starting that night, every insect, including cockroach, has attempted to take refuge inside the house. I saw cockroaches (read: multiple within 20 minutes) scurry across the concrete rear patio, in broad daylight in the open, straight for the rear house wall. This morning, I swept maybe 200 dead cockroaches from the rear patio concrete into a big pile of boric acid powder, and this afternoon I did the same to another 50. Tonight, right now, 6 hours later, there are maybe 50 more dead on the rear patio alone. I have killed maybe 10 earwigs or earwig-style bugs on the living room wall. There are spiders in every room. Last night, 18 hours after application of the insecticide, there was an arizona bark scorpion that came of of the ceiling vent in the kids' room.

My life is a living hell.

Oh my God in heaven this is terrifying! I would probably drop dead, I am worried/pissed because I've been seeing one or two tiny ants at a time in the bathroom of all places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm still working on walling up a loft in our house. To do it "right," and update the county's info so that it's officially a 4 bedroom house, I need to go through the permitting process. It's a bit silly.

For two walls, I need a rough electrical, rough framing, final electrical and final framing inspection. poo poo's a bit of overkill. On top of that, the three bedrooms on the second floor have all of their doors adjacent, and the two existing bedrooms have smoke detectors immediately inside each. The county requires a smoke detector immediately inside the new one. They ALSO require a combo smoke/carbon monoxide detector outside of the rooms. So, within a 15 square foot area, I'll have 4 interconnected smoke detectors. I'd say that's well covered.

And running the wiring in the attic with over 18" of blown insulation is a goddamned pain. I can dig down to where I need to work, but there's a continual cascade of insulation falling as I'm working.

At least that part is just about done. Rough electrical inspection scheduled for Wednesday, I'm hoping the inspector doesn't do anything stupid... fingers crossed.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
-

blk fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 25, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

Any software engineers looking for work and want to come work with me? I don't get a referral bonus but want to find a quality person. Located in big Portland.

Would love to, but it'd have to be remote. :(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Okay so I've been fighting the most nightmarish battle of my adult era.

Besides clearing out your home, call the city and tell them you have a sudden roach infestation and ask them to come dust all the sewer manholes in your neighborhood. I think you are in Phoenix, and they used to be really good at fast response to roach issues if the MHs in your area haven't been treated in a while.

If the sewers are infested your battle will be never ending.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Besides clearing out your home, call the city and tell them you have a sudden roach infestation and ask them to come dust all the sewer manholes in your neighborhood. I think you are in Phoenix, and they used to be really good at fast response to roach issues if the MHs in your area haven't been treated in a while.

If the sewers are infested your battle will be never ending.

Whoever it is at the city who has to go into a sewer system packed with millions of roaches doesn't get paid enough.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm so sorry. These things are the loving devil.

And my wife thought it was bad that one of the cats found and killed a mouse last night. No droppings or anything that we've found anywhere. I just came home to a cat making drat sure it's dead.

I want to say that when my Ranger did this, it was the water pump. Which was a loving pain thanks to the PO doing it previously and gluing it together with RTV instead of using the Orings dry as intended.

Push pins are the standard way for any stock style heat sink. If the new one wants to screw in, it should come with a backing plate that installs behind the motherboard and protrudes through those same holes. Unless the case is relatively modern and decent, you'll have to pull the motherboard to install that.

This makes no sense. Is it maybe booting off an old junked up install of Windows on one of the old drives instead of the one you were using?

It absolutely makes sense. One of those 4 drives is likely starting to die, and the read errors or delays are causing system lag. Remove them all, then boot with one connected at a time to determine the failure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Whoever it is at the city who has to go into a sewer system packed with millions of roaches doesn't get paid enough.
They're doing their part! Are you?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've never seen them go into them here when treating for roaches,. They use a spray rig, pop the MH lid and inundate starting at the bottom using a long wand like a pressure washer, but with powder instead of liquid. They coat the entire inside and bottom of the lid.

They still don't get paid enough as they have to wear a full suit and mask to do this, in Phoenix.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

OKAY FELLOW OZGOONS WHILE MY GOVERNMENT DOESNT CARE I NEED HELP IMPORTING A UTE

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...n-a7698736.html

:rip: the EPA and everything but maybe now is my chance to get a sw88888 jdm forester or adm ute eh

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
seconding nthing the 212EVO love. I got one when my i5 3600k was dying on stock cooling (thanks Cities:Skylines). Went from overheating and shutting down to barely topping 60C in an Aussie summer. I moved it over to my new build and it's still great. I handed down the old mobo and cpu to a buddy and recommended he get the same HS

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

funny Star Wars parody posted:

OKAY FELLOW OZGOONS WHILE MY GOVERNMENT DOESNT CARE I NEED HELP IMPORTING A UTE

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...n-a7698736.html

:rip: the EPA and everything but maybe now is my chance to get a sw88888 jdm forester or adm ute eh

Here is what you need:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Falcon-1996/SSE-AD-3250900/?Cr=21

just add a 250kg bumper, aerials etc

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

for real though say trump actually shuts down the EPA, how hard would it be to get parts for an ozzy car and how much will it cost? I'm sure the holdens would be relatively easy but i'm not so sure about fords

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
EPA or no, wouldn't it still be an issue with the vehicle not meeting other American standards?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

blk posted:

Any software engineers looking for work and want to come work with me? I don't get a referral bonus but want to find a quality person. Located in big Portland.

Requirements
• .NET/C# 4.5

Soft pass.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Considering it is usually Homeland Security who turn up to impound illegally imported cars to crush the EPA existing or not has not bearing on this.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Considering it is usually Homeland Security who turn up to impound illegally imported cars to crush the EPA existing or not has not bearing on this.

For some reason I thought it was the EPA that set those standards :shobon:

:rip: my hopes and dreams

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have been informed that the NHTSA is who regulates this

drat shame because my wife really likes them

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm considering buying this to replace my '97 850 as a winter beater. Wikipedia tells me they were turbo only in the US. I've had my 850 for nearly eight years and it has 148k on it... but this one has a new timing belt, brakes, and tires; AWD, and it's a wagon where I only have a sedan. Should I? Would I be stupid not to?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Congrats! We just accepted an offer on ours. They wanted us to pay $5k in closing costs, which isn't absurd but we just weren't willing to do. Unfortunately the buyer is cash poor and really needs the money so we came up with a creative solution; lose the home warranty, bump the cost of the house up $1500 and give them $3000 in closing costs. Fingers crossed that we can get everyone to the table on this. We go to the design studio next weekend to pick out the finishings in our new home.

The one hang up I have about this new house is that they don't insulate the garage, so I'm going to have to go behind them and rip out a bunch of drywall that the builder just put up.
Congrats, hope it works out! April really seems to be real estate month in AI this year. We get possession Thursday and will probably start some light moving Thursday PM. Movers are queued up for Friday. We're starting to take things down for packing right now. Was kind of sad with our last weekend in this place. :(

Ugh, they went through the effort of drywalling but didn't insulate at all behind it? :smithicide: I am sort of stoked for our garage. It's a decent size triple (not massive, about 25x30) but fully insulated/finished, overhead heater and a drive through door in the 3rd bay so I could go right into the back yard if I want. Will be handy for the landscaping I'm sure.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Lies. Nobody likes the NHTSA.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i mean a ute

i texted her (since ive been in the market for a truck and she really doesnt want to get a loan for more than 15k now that we're debt free) and she was like "absolutely, yes that car is so cool!!" and then just like in my old thread i became heartbroken when i remembered everything

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Maksimus54 posted:

Maybe try blow in insulation? No need to rip all the walls off

I might do slow-rise foam fill but we'll see. It depends on if I can get them to either not put up the drywall or at least not tape. The real problem is that I'd still need to put a vapor barrier up, so I'm probably going to have to pull out the drywall anyway. Oh well... Might as well get some 110v and 220v lines, ethernet, and speaker wire in there while I'm at it. Come to think of it, I'm probably going to want to modify the garage quite a bit structurally anyway.
The garage is incredibly tall inside, which is awesome but leaves me a shitton of unusable space above the garage door. I'm thinking I might run beams across the garage above the door, bolt the door tracks and opener to those and then put in flooring above the door to make that a huge 10'x18x5' storage area. It'll probably be required since apparently the roof trusses won't allow for me to put in flooring and use the attic as storage.

slidebite posted:

Ugh, they went through the effort of drywalling but didn't insulate at all behind it? :smithicide:

Congrats though, hope it works out! April really seems to be real estate month in AI this year. We get posession Thursday and will probably start some light moving Thursday PM. Movers are queued up for Friday. We're starting to take things down for packing right now. Was kind of sad with our last weekend in this place. :(

They haven't even put the foundation down yet actually. We have to close on our current house before they'll build our new one because we're buying contingent upon the sale of our house.
However, in talking with the sales person, they definitely don't insulate or do a vapor barrier. Both of which I want. The vapor barrier is absolutely required by me, because the garage is inset into the footprint of the house so it shares it's walls and ceiling with the rest of the house. It's not like I sit in the garage with the door closed and the car idling constantly, but I do work on motorcycles. So, sometimes I have to work with really nasty chemicals or let a bike idle while I tune the carbs and I really don't want that seeping into the kitchen or a bedroom.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They haven't even put the foundation down yet actually. We have to close on our current house before they'll build our new one because we're buying contingent upon the sale of our house.
However, in talking with the sales person, they definitely don't insulate or do a vapor barrier. Both of which I want. The vapor barrier is absolutely required by me, because the garage is inset into the footprint of the house so it shares it's walls and ceiling with the rest of the house. It's not like I sit in the garage with the door closed and the car idling constantly, but I do work on motorcycles. So, sometimes I have to work with really nasty chemicals or let a bike idle while I tune the carbs and I really don't want that seeping into the kitchen or a bedroom.

Ignore sales. Once the construction starts, go find the general contractor at the site and pay them directly to do this. I've seen this done a fair bit and it's cheaper than including it in the house pricing and they will almost always do it for you.

The vapor barrier on the shared interior walls is almost certainly required by code.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh if they're building it for you why can't they just do it as a change order and charge you for it? That's pretty standard on any new build that's pre-sold. Pretty rare someone will commission a new house construction and not change/customize anything.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

i mean a ute

i texted her (since ive been in the market for a truck and she really doesnt want to get a loan for more than 15k now that we're debt free) and she was like "absolutely, yes that car is so cool!!" and then just like in my old thread i became heartbroken when i remembered everything

have u thought about how ugly utes are? hth

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

I'm considering buying this to replace my '97 850 as a winter beater. Wikipedia tells me they were turbo only in the US. I've had my 850 for nearly eight years and it has 148k on it... but this one has a new timing belt, brakes, and tires; AWD, and it's a wagon where I only have a sedan. Should I? Would I be stupid not to?

What would you do with your current car?

Would $2500 cover the maintenance on your current car?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

have u thought about how ugly utes are? hth

your daddo probbo thought the same thing about ur mum hth

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mariooncrack posted:

What would you do with your current car?

Would $2500 cover the maintenance on your current car?

I'd sell it for maybe a thousand dollars.

Seems like it'd be an upgrade - AWD, wagon, I have winter tires and wheels that will fit (non-AWD wheels fit on AWD Volvos, yes?), and I'd have heated seats that work. I'd lose the 5-speed though, and the reliability of the non-turbo engine.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Slots in the front, poker in the rear

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I'm just poor white trash (or a spoiled Californian,) but drywall in the garage is a travesty. You're giving up 3" of shelf depth right there.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

I'd sell it for maybe a thousand dollars.

Seems like it'd be an upgrade - AWD, wagon, I have winter tires and wheels that will fit (non-AWD wheels fit on AWD Volvos, yes?), and I'd have heated seats that work. I'd lose the 5-speed though, and the reliability of the non-turbo engine.

Do you have the space to keep both the wagon and sedan while you try to sell the sedan? What if you can't sell the sedan?

I think you're better off repairing what you have. You know what it needs and the other car could be a ticking time bomb.

If you're serious about replacing the sedan, sell it first before buying its replacement.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mariooncrack posted:

Do you have the space to keep both the wagon and sedan while you try to sell the sedan? What if you can't sell the sedan?

I think you're better off repairing what you have. You know what it needs and the other car could be a ticking time bomb.

If you're serious about replacing the sedan, sell it first before buying its replacement.

I've got space.

I'm not really serious about replacing the sedan, it just seemed like an upgrade for cheap. I mean, the 850 works fine for what I need it for. Needs some work but it's solid and I know it in and out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Wouldn't it run hot if the water pump failed?

I dug through my own thread to see if I had noted this anywhere, but doesn't seem like I did. I could've sworn I saw this behavior but I also apparently replaced the thermostat at the same time as the water pump. That water pump is a royal pain in the dick even though there's no good reason for it to be.

CornHolio posted:

Actually, the heat sink I bought is a Hyper 212... poo poo... I'm going to look at it when I get home. I might still return it, though. If my case opened on the other side, maybe I'd do it, but I don't know if it's worth it to pull it out.

The case itself probably opens from the backside, but the motherboard tray (if this case dates back to LGA775) probably doesn't have a cutout behind the CPU like this:

Liquid Communism posted:

It absolutely makes sense. One of those 4 drives is likely starting to die, and the read errors or delays are causing system lag. Remove them all, then boot with one connected at a time to determine the failure.

Didn't even think about that :downs: Of course aside from my desktop, the only boxes I have with more than one drive are running various *nix OSes which will puke errors all over the console if a drive is being slow. I have a 480GB SSD and a 750GB HDD in my desktop, and honestly I hardly ever touch the HDD.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Our Kunekune had babies in the torrential storm last night!

:classiclol: :dance: :coolfish:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

The case itself probably opens from the backside, but the motherboard tray (if this case dates back to LGA775) probably doesn't have a cutout behind the CPU like this:

Pretty sure my case doesn't have that cutout either, and it's newer than the mobo/cpu (changed cases about a year after building this system).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

angryrobots posted:

Our Kunekune had babies in the torrential storm last night!

:classiclol: :dance: :coolfish:

Those cats are damned funny lookin'.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yo who the gently caress gave these microbes permission to get me sick? I barely got through the rocket competition launch and I've basically been comatose all today.

Gonna have to order out for food.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Whelp, I apparently jinxed myself when I said something about the only obstacle to the job I was shooting for being someone better qualified. They liked me, but another guy "blew them away." I'm concerned that someone who's better than I am was willing to accept the salary. Perhaps he's thinking the same I was - pay on the lower end, but job satisfaction.
Ah, well, on to the next one. Working with a couple recruiters, so something will turn up. Still not fired, as far as I know. Still no instruction on finding a new slot, either.

Well, you can bring in stuff that's 25 years or older. So right now you can import 1992s, which is why actually legal R32 GT-Rs are showing up.
Here's a beauty:
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Falcon-1986/SSE-AD-1012819/?Cr=6

( I would love an XB or XC Falcon Ute.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Fuckin jesus fuckin christ this is hellweek, boys

GET SOME

• Locked thread