Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think the Frank Grimes episode carries a lot more weight as an adult because no matter what level of success you have achieved, there will always Homers doing better than you.

It is one of the earliest instances of jerkass homer but at least it was to make a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I think the Frank Grimes episode carries a lot more weight as an adult because no matter what level of success you have achieved, there will always Homers doing better than you.

It is one of the earliest instances of jerkass homer but at least it was to make a point.

he was more clueless and lazy than a jerk tho thats what made it so funny. it was a hilarious episode

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axHoy0hnQy8

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

It's this

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Frank Grimes has that briefcase and hair cut to show for his life's work. We can all relate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Were the Simpsons mean lovely assholes in that one, though? I'd say Homer was portrayed more as self-centered in an oblivious childlike way, with the added gag that they point out for the first time that he does pretty well for a guy that should be dead or in the gutter several times over from his stupidity.

yeah. your right, i stated it wrong. i was just saying it was the beginning of the mean spiritedness, even though thats one of my favorite episodes.

this. it was clever and funny. now he is just a retarded uncaring rear end in a top hat

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Plucky Brit posted:

Which was the one where Homer pits Lisa against Bart in hockey?

That's my first impression of Jerkass Homer. Though admittedly he's still hilarious.

Homer keeping Bart from getting into the front seat by sticking his hand out, and going, "Ah BUHH!" remains one of my favorite moments from the show.

I also recommend Clone High, if people were asking earlier...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
For two years I lived in front of a bar, next door to another bar, across the street from another bar, and I always thought about Frank Grimes.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
What would be a good final episode for the Simpsons, taking into consideration that it has apparently been poo poo for longer than it had been good? At this point, would a simple quiet mercy killing be enough or would an episode or two providing some sort of closure be preferred?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

What would be a good final episode for the Simpsons, taking into consideration that it has apparently been poo poo for longer than it had been good? At this point, would a simple quiet mercy killing be enough or would an episode or two providing some sort of closure be preferred?
Revealing the last 10 years of episodes as an elaborate conspiracy to ruin the franchise, followed by the on-screen murder of all the writers over that period

wit
Jul 26, 2011

A musical number pandering to the hip new tunes of the day followed by celebrities who are drawn with pleasant expressions on their faces to show how nice they are while homer makes softball jokes at their expense which they really lean on. Fourth wall breaking lisa and bart monologues about hoping that everyone enjoyed the show, waving and in a final cut, the voice actors are drawn in and they all bow like the cast of friends. And then Ralph says a thing and Marge makes a face. All the while, Sarin gas has been pumped into your living room through your TV.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Spatial posted:

Revealing the last 10 years of episodes as an elaborate conspiracy to ruin the franchise, followed by the on-screen murder of all the writers over that period

20 years

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Christmas episode about 5 years ago "Holidays of Future Passed" was written a long time ago as series finale. I don't know why they randomly used it, but it was good and would have made a fine ending.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

A sincere apology by Al Jean.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Drink-Mix Man posted:

A sincere apology by Al Jean.

yes

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

The Christmas episode about 5 years ago "Holidays of Future Passed" was written a long time ago as series finale. I don't know why they randomly used it, but it was good and would have made a fine ending.

Lol I love the "let's burn through all our ideas as soon as they pop into our heads" like when he just tweeted that the series should end with them heading to the Christmas pageant in the first episode instead of, you know, saving what could have been an interesting and satisfying way to end the show for the actual end of the show

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The last twenty years were just part of Homer's hallucination and come-down from "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer"

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Is that true? Because they've returned to that future storyline a few times now and even THAT has gotten old and terrible (iirc Homer actually dies, but they copy his personality into a computer).

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

When is Lisa supposed to be our first non-lesbian female president? That joke always stuck with me during the Hillary campaigns in '08 and '16...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I believe the flash forward where Lisa is president and Bart is a fuckup as well the fake behind the scenes episode that finished off their season were meant to be the original series finale. Interestingly I remember the first episode I mentioned getting panned when it was released, a lot of people called it a low point for the series.

If only they knew.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Backweb posted:

When is Lisa supposed to be our first non-lesbian female president? That joke always stuck with me during the Hillary campaigns in '08 and '16...

Right after Trump...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I believe the flash forward where Lisa is president and Bart is a fuckup as well the fake behind the scenes episode that finished off their season were meant to be the original series finale. Interestingly I remember the first episode I mentioned getting panned when it was released, a lot of people called it a low point for the series.

If only they knew.
tbf there were a bunch of new lows for the simpsons from season 11 onwards

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Right after Trump...

Are you going by late 90s "Poochie era" canon or recent Trump episode canon? Cos I never saw the Trump episode, so I dunno if they actually made a reference to that (or rehashed an old joke). Or did the super edgy Harvard graduates call Trump a lesbian?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Backweb posted:

Are you going by late 90s "Poochie era" canon or recent Trump episode canon? Cos I never saw the Trump episode, so I dunno if they actually made a reference to that (or rehashed an old joke). Or did the super edgy Harvard graduates call Trump a lesbian?

I didn't know they did an actual Trump episode (and I really don't think I want to know what happened in it). I was just citing President Lisa saying "We've inherited quite a budget deficit from President Trump."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i love how a writer on that episode said that he put trump in as president as "a warning for America." no you didn't, idiot, you thought it was funny

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

get that OUT of my face posted:

i love how a writer on that episode said that he put trump in as president as "a warning for America." no you didn't, idiot, you thought it was funny

And it was. Is.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

And it was. Is.
i'm sure that thought never crossed his mind when he was actually writing the episode though

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

get that OUT of my face posted:

tbf there were a bunch of new lows for the simpsons from season 11 onwards

I assume everyone just says season 10/11 episodes because no human being has watched it beyond this point

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I didn't know they did an actual Trump episode (and I really don't think I want to know what happened in it). I was just citing President Lisa saying "We've inherited quite a budget deficit from President Trump."

There is no actual Trump episode. They made this (terrible) clip after he announced he was running:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz7_JP7ROvA

Somehow the wires got crossed with this and that joke from the 2000 episode Bart to the Future and now much of the internet thinks they not only predicted his presidency, but were able to animate his campaign press announcement shot for shot in the year 2000.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

There is no actual Trump episode. They made this (terrible) clip after he announced he was running:

Somehow the wires got crossed with this and that joke from the 2000 episode Bart to the Future and now much of the internet thinks they not only predicted his presidency, but were able to animate his campaign press announcement shot for shot in the year 2000.

My takeaway from your post is the Simpsons 100% accurately predicted the Trump ascendancy, 16 years ago. See, I watch TV AND I vote! :downs:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Of course there's not a Trump episode yet. The Koreans need more time to figure out why the script is written in tongues.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I completely forgot about that line. Weird how the fates aligned. Then again with the amount of implausible plot contrivances you have in the show it'd only be a matter of time that they became a crystal ball into the future.

I always assumed "they predicted it" just referred to his campaign style. I had no clue people were confusing this with an episode from 17 years ago. I still haven't watched the clip (youtube isn't loading your link for me), so I dunno.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
people are morons they also said that the simpsons "predicted" the most recent Ebola outbreak because there was a joke years ago about "Curious George and the Ebola Virus", as if somehow Ebola didn't exist before like 2015?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Simpsons predict a lot of things.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
simpsons decline was an inside job

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMEAjTYwEew

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Drink-Mix Man posted: