Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought the default gender roles in shoujo manga are that the protagonist is a henpecked neurotic loser and every girl he knows is an insane harpy.

No, the girl is the school's most handsome boy who loves otome games and tends to overextend his mouth, and the guy is the handsome prince of the school (girl) who is secretly in love with the head of the drama club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Okay I also picked up Hana Yori Dango once, hearing it was a more plausible and character-driven picture of the pressures of high school in Japan, and I couldn't get past the part where the school is ruled by a clique of bishounen.

Serf posted:

haha holy poo poo now that i think about it that was the only part of the movie that was remotely interesting
I liked the scene where a billionaire CEO enacts a Satanic ritual on a spaceship to combine his blood with alien DNA and transform an alien general's corpse into a literal embodiment of the public's false conception of Christ.

BvS is the most gloriously insane movie I've seen since The Holy Mountain.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 24, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Okay I also picked up Hana Yori Dango once, hearing it was a more plausible and character-driven picture of the pressures of high school in Japan, and I couldn't get past the part where the school is ruled by a clique of bishounen.

I liked the scene where a billionaire CEO enacts a Satanic ritual on a spaceship to combine his blood with alien DNA and transform an alien general's corpse into a literal embodiment of the public's false conception of Christ.

BvS is the most gloriously insane movie I've seen since The Holy Mountain.

if only the movie were 1/100 as interesting as this

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Just read shoujo manga so that you can relax into the comfortable, soft bigotry of conservative gender roles instead of being confronted with all that gross martial fascism stuff.

Read better shoujo manga.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
When did the entire spectrum of Authoritarianism coalesce into "FASCISM, YO!" ?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mr.Misfit posted:

Ever since they started letting SA have a movie forum, I think.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr.Misfit posted:

It didn't, but the propaganda aim of neoliberalism is to condemn every alternative as equally crazy and stupid. So Hitler, Stalin, Kim Il Sung, Trump, Putin, and Sanders are all the same person, and people can only come to grips with them in terms of lame "X is Voldemort" memes.

Civil War put itself in a weird spot because the film itself is fascist, but the principal characters are not. It's a really weird film about a liberal billionaire and a sovcit mercenary fighting over the correct way to form a state-corporate alliance to protect the world from sinister conspiracies.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, but Gruenewald did that only to have John Walker confront his own right-wing beliefs in the form of the Watchdogs, a uniformed terrorist John Birch Society.

I'm not comparing the two stories - there seem to be some really legit reasons to dislike the new direction - but that comic companies will respond to sales over feedback, and Captain America: Steve Rogers sold very well for its first year and only now has fallen into the midlist.

Comic fans often get the comics they deserve, not the comics they need.

Plutonis posted:

They are already dying in a horrible slow way the way it is and while I think that the Big Two stopping (impossible lol since that even though they don't make a profit of comics they do a SHITLOAD out of the intellectual property farming) there COULD be the chance that it could make indies take over the niche and eventually flourish by the virtue of not being a swamp of ideas.

If you were to kayo the Big Two somehow, comic stores would crash along with the main sales venue for indie comics, and most small publishers would be lucky to survive the fallout. It's incestuous, but most small industries like these are.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of comics always being bad and selling and reboots: https://spacetwinks.itch.io/the-problems-with-comics

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I know Legend of Kamui is supposed to be :ninja::hf::ussr:, but is there anything like that in Western comics? Something to contrast the :911::hf::godwinning: that have been discussed?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The 200 Word RPG contest closed with over 700 entries. Anyone here put one in for consideration?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

I know Legend of Kamui is supposed to be :ninja::hf::ussr:, but is there anything like that in Western comics? Something to contrast the :911::hf::godwinning: that have been discussed?

Sure but like, not from DC or Marvel. Its sort of like asking if you could find an aiport novel that is an insightful treatise on 16th century Bantu cultural groups.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

slap me and kiss me posted:

The 200 Word RPG contest closed with over 700 entries. Anyone here put one in for consideration?

Yeah, I put in Parasite Vector and worked with my wife to put in The Holy Mountain. My heart goes out to the judges, though - by my reckoning they'll have to read ~150 entries each for every game to be read by two judges. I'm really impressed with the range of settings, game types, resolution system etc - it's an extraordinary snapshot of 2017 game design.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
What is the opposite of min-maxing in which you dump all of your stat points into the worst perceived stats and try to make a go of that character?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Flavivirus posted:

Yeah, I put in Parasite Vector and worked with my wife to put in The Holy Mountain. My heart goes out to the judges, though - by my reckoning they'll have to read ~150 entries each for every game to be read by two judges. I'm really impressed with the range of settings, game types, resolution system etc - it's an extraordinary snapshot of 2017 game design.

Right! I'm hoping you get some traction, I really enjoyed both of your games.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Torpor posted:

What is the opposite of min-maxing in which you dump all of your stat points into the worst perceived stats and try to make a go of that character?

max-minning

win-waxing

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Torpor posted:

making a bad character

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Elfgames posted:

making a bad character

You sound like you would be a real hoot at parties :colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Torpor posted:

You sound like you would be a real hoot at parties :colbert:

He's not wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elfgames posted:

making a bad character

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Haha, wow, what's wrong, you guys hate FUN? Lotta funhaters here.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No one makes a crippled build on purpose in a videogame unless they want an achievment or somethong stupid like that why would you do that in a tabletop which there's no reward whatsoever

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Succeeding with a oddball, goofy build is fun and can open up some interesting options for roleplaying. Being a wrestler in D&D, for example.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's called ROLEplaying not ROLLplaying, gosh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Succeeding with a oddball, goofy build is fun and can open up some interesting options for roleplaying. Being a wrestler in D&D, for example.

There's a difference between making an oddball goofy build and a purposely lovely and useless one because the former can actually be of use to the party in several situations. One thing is to be a wrestler and the other is to be a fighter who maxed caster stats and made his str negative and takes gimpy feats

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dr Cheeto posted:

*turns to camera, one eye has been replaced with a glowing green "4" and the other a glowing "e"* I don't understand, Brawler Fighters are plenty good.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Torpor posted:

"The poo poo-terrible character I made to prove I'm not a powergamer because this tag somehow matters in TYOOL 2017."

I knew someone who would do this. Make the worst possible character, play it for two sessions, then make a half-dragon half-angel druid because "oh I just had this great new idea! totally unrelated to being actively useless in the game."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ideally games shouldn't necessarily rely on you assigning the right numbers but it's still going to be a thing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ideally games shouldn't necessarily rely on you assigning the right numbers but it's still going to be a thing.

There is literally nothing you can do to stop a player who wants to make a useless character, except rely on the GM to either a) humor them by giving that character contrived challenges to overcome or b) ask them to not.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Barudak posted:

Sure but like, not from DC or Marvel. Its sort of like asking if you could find an aiport novel that is an insightful treatise on 16th century Bantu cultural groups.
Sounds like the inspiration for an Imaro RPG.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
God, why did they kill 4e

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Dr Cheeto posted:

God, why did they kill 4e

I believe the generally accepted answer is "Mike Mearls."

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

slap me and kiss me posted:

I made 2, one Kung-Fu Spaghetti eating tournament and One Prisoner's Dilemma strategy Clusterfuck

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

That's a very evocative prisoner's dilemma! Great job

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I love both of these.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Plutonis posted:

They are already dying in a horrible slow way the way it is and while I think that the Big Two stopping (impossible lol since that even though they don't make a profit of comics they do a SHITLOAD out of the intellectual property farming) there COULD be the chance that it could make indies take over the niche and eventually flourish by the virtue of not being a swamp of ideas.

Nah it'll just kill the rest of the American comics industry

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I don't want to live in a world without the Flintstones comic where Fred and Barney commit genocide tbh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Nah it'll just kill the rest of the American comics industry

Oh no

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the entire friendly local comic shop "industry" is a diamond comics monopsony and has been for a decade. diamond is in the business of shipping boxes of marvel and dc comics to comic shops, and fills in the corners with indie publishers, manga, and sundry licensed crap. comic shops rely on diamond, diamond relies on marvel and dc.

the big two stopping comic publication would be a twofold shock, as shops would not only lose the reliable sellers, but also probably the distributor that sells them everything else they sell.

on top of this, indie comic publishers are reliant on diamond to distribute their comics. they'd need a new distributor, at a time when comic shops would also be undergoing a catastrophic shock.

e: this is for north america, i dunno about anywhere else

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Deleter posted:

I don't want to live in a world without the Flintstones comic where Fred and Barney commit genocide tbh.

You make it sound like it was just Fred and Barney, the whole of Bedrock society was complicit.

• Locked thread