Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

This explains the origins, but the question of how they become so pervasive and penetrated so deeply is still unanswered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This explains the origins, but the question of how they become so pervasive and penetrated so deeply is still unanswered!

You remember that episode of South Park where people from the future came back in time in order to get jobs? The future people were a weird shade of orange/brown and their language was some unholy mish-mash of all other languages because all culture and race had become homogenized by that point.

The minions come form that future where everything is blended. They arrive as unoffensive, gender-less, bright colored blobs, effectively blank slates. And since they are blank slates, you can have them do or say anything and you absolutely believe it. Minion as a pirate? Sure. Superhero? Sure. Country Music Star. Soldier. Gang Banger. President. Cold War Era Russian Sleeper Agent. Ballerina. Klansman.

You had no trouble picturing a minion dressed up as any of those things I bet. And if it looks the part, that's enough. You may not be able to picture Bart Simpson or Mickey Mouse in a turban shouting "Death to the Infidels" on a t-shirt or a facebook wall, but you can sure picture a minion doing it. Now throw that cute little guy in a firefighter costume and slap some text behind him about how 9/11 was an inside job, and you have something.

I have not seen the minions movie, nor the originals they spun off from. All I know is that they are yellow, speak a mostly gibberish language and act kind of goofy. Though I think I just described a racist caricature of a Chinese person from the 50's

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
That's how we kill minions. Side by side comparison to old Asian stereotype propaganda in meme form.
It'll put off most of the demographic, I think(hope).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
They're something like that and something like old golliwog figurines.

They're a racist caricature without a race, so you can have all the schadenfreude of feeling superior to a lesser people without any of the guilt that doing so might be immoral.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want to know how overused BABY GROOT is in the movie. Are we going to see a Minions-level oversaturation here?

Yeah, also what is the Baby Groot to Drax ratio we're looking at here.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Some of the Baby Groot stuff is a little much, but it's only in it as much as anyone else is once the movie gets underway.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The "don't push the button" gag in the trailer looks exactly like a Minion gag (and about a dozen other versions of that gag). Is it actually during an important action scene or part of the opening action scene establishing the gang as still doing their thing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like I have no idea what a Minion Gag is supposed to be at this point.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

meh your basic looney tunes gag i guess. jokes u see in a kid's movie with nonsense language/communication?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

MacheteZombie posted:

The "don't push the button" gag in the trailer looks exactly like a Minion gag (and about a dozen other versions of that gag). Is it actually during an important action scene or part of the opening action scene establishing the gang as still doing their thing?

It's part of an important action scene. There's another joke like it too which I don't think they've shown which goes for way too long, if you don't like that kind of thing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

It's part of an important action scene. There's another joke like it too which I don't think they've shown which goes for way too long, if you don't like that kind of thing.

Yeah that joke in the trailer is not my thing really. Was hoping it's right before the opening title card or something.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
:shrug: I think the Minions are pretty hilarious.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

pubic works project posted:

Minions the characters in the Despicable Me franchise or Minions the weird, inexplicable Facebook meme? Because at this point, there's really not much commonality.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Aren't minions just yellow Rabbids?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Phylodox posted:

Minions the characters in the Despicable Me franchise or Minions the weird, inexplicable Facebook meme? Because at this point, there's really not much commonality.

Minions the characters. My wife loves Disney/kid movies so we watch most of them. The Despicable Me/Minions movies are just so stupid and funny. They just make me laugh at how dumb they are.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

pubic works project posted:

I liked the Despicable Me movies (I haven't seen Minions) and I liked the Minions in them, but much like the Mogwai, once their population or, in this instance, saturation gets out of hand there must be culling.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Crudely drawn fanart of minions doing something uncomfortably adult and/or sexual.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MacheteZombie posted:

meh your basic looney tunes gag i guess. jokes u see in a kid's movie with nonsense language/communication?

Yo you can say what you want about minions but if you badmouth Looney Tunes we're going to have some problems here

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ImpAtom posted:

It's code for "thing I don't like", like hipster.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jesus, by the time Phase 3 ends, Marvel will have done 22 movies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MacheteZombie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Igz5SfBCE&t=78s

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Kingsman sequel has a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nxc-3WpMbg

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't like it that much. Lots of really rapid cuts. It made it tough for me to really hang on to anything. Still, I liked the first one a lot, so I expect I'll enjoy the sequel.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My takeaway from that is that Matthew Vaughn has something against amputees. Did someone beat him with a prosthetic arm when he was young?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

twistedmentat posted:

Jesus, by the time Phase 3 ends, Marvel will have done 22 movies.

Are we still in phase 3? Didn't that start like 3 or 4 years ago?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kingtheninja posted:

Are we still in phase 3? Didn't that start like 3 or 4 years ago?

Phase 1 was up to Avengers, Phase 2 was up to Avengers 2 (and Ant-Man), and we're in Phase 3.

Although it's a completely meaningless and arbitrary naming scheme.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I think Phase 3 was supposed to end with Infinity War Parts 1&2 but now that it's just Infinity War and Untitled Avengers Film who knows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Russos said the movie is currently untitled because the movies aren't just part 1 and 2 so they want 2 to have its own name, Feige said the name is a secret because it's a spoiler, and Zoe Saldana referred to it as 'Gauntlet' in an interview.

Phylodox posted:

My takeaway from that is that Matthew Vaughn has something against amputees. Did someone beat him with a prosthetic arm when he was young?

The amputee in the first movie is the coolest character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Boarding school hazing is complicated okay?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Will it involve The Beyonder

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

parallelodad posted:

Will it involve The Beyonder
As long as he has the bathrobe I'm in

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Best part is Spider-Man is around to teach him to poop. Who's disco enough to play the Beyonder though?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mike Meyers in Austin Powers makeup. Now I know what you're thinking, he's from the 60s. But it's been almost 20 years, he'd be in the 70s by now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

The amputee in the first movie is the coolest character.

She's in that Mummy remake this year. I wonder if that'll be any good. Probably not. We'll see. "Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe" initially fills me with optimism, which is sapped when you add "but it's set in the present day" and "and its version of Kevin Feige is Roberto Orci".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It does have sprinting Tom Cruise though

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the last new Tom Cruise movie I saw was Knight and Day, which was a fun spy movie with Cruise playing a deranged secret agent in the first half and a boring spy movie with Cruise playing a generic secret agent in the second half.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You've missed some good poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new Mummy looks like more of a horror jumpscare movie from the trailer I saw.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

parallelodad posted:

You've missed some good poo poo

I imagine I have. I'm just looking at stuff he's been in since Knight and Day came out (2010) and the main ones seem to be Rock of Ages (not really keen on hair metal), two Mission Impossibles (never really got into the series though I've heard they're good), two Jack Reachers (my dad likes the novels but I've never been into them) and Edge of Tomorrow (which I haven't seen).

Aphrodite posted:

The new Mummy looks like more of a horror jumpscare movie from the trailer I saw.

I must have seen a different trailer, because it looked like a big action movie to me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can skip Rock of Ages but the others range from pretty good to great. Especially the mission impossibles.

• Locked thread