Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is that the same daughter from Spiderman and Deadpool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I haven't read Spider-Man/Deadpool, but he's only got the one daughter I know of. Putting her in his life is one of the best things Duggan's done with his run.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Is that the same daughter from Spiderman and Deadpool?

Yeah same daughter.

If you're curious what happened to her Mum, Deadpool found her dead in a mass-grave in North Korea because ~comics~
This is a war crime

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That story arc destroyed me. Maybe shouldn't have read it a few months after my girlfriend died.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Infinitum posted:

Yeah same daughter.

If you're curious what happened to her Mum, Deadpool found her dead in a mass-grave in North Korea because ~comics~
This is a war crime

That's the best Deadpool arc ever. Gerry Duggan is the best Deadpool writer ever. May he write the book another five years.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Dugganpool is one of the best takes on the character ever done. I feel like he's one of the only writers who's really gotten properly into the characters head. along with Kyle and Yost, and Joe Kelly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I haven't read Spider-Man/Deadpool, but he's only got the one daughter I know of. Putting her in his life is one of the best things Duggan's done with his run.

According to Duggan's run, Deadpool is destined to have a daughter with Shiklah at some point. She and Ellie will fight over the name Deadpool 2099.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ellie also has a boss rear end power

Put as a link if you wanna keep spoiler free I suppose.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

That's the best Deadpool arc ever. Gerry Duggan is the best Deadpool writer ever. May he write the book another five years.

Agreed.

The interactions between Deadpool, Captain America, and Wolverine are fantastically done.

Incidentally, the set up for Ellie existing was a one-off (sorta) from the run just prior that's a flashback issue of when he teamed up with Danny and Luke in the 70s. For me it's the funniest single issue of modern Deadpool. I can't get to my library right now, but there's a sequel to it that I *think* was part of the current series.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

flosofl posted:

Incidentally, the set up for Ellie existing was a one-off (sorta) from the run just prior that's a flashback issue of when he teamed up with Danny and Luke in the 70s. For me it's the funniest single issue of modern Deadpool. I can't get to my library right now, but there's a sequel to it that I *think* was part of the current series.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, then yes: it was the Original Sin tie-in where in a flashback, Wade and Sabertooth go to kill Wade's parents, and Wade's memory is so hosed up at that time he doesn't know who they are.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, then yes: it was the Original Sin tie-in where in a flashback, Wade and Sabertooth go to kill Wade's parents, and Wade's memory is so hosed up at that time he doesn't know who they are.

While I also think that sequence was good it's a little bit tonally uneven. At first you're reading a funny little parody of nineties comics (Sabretooth have completely ridiculous hair and both keeps breaking the fourth wall) and then suddenly you get a really dark and grim story.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Evil Mastermind posted:

Uh, no. It was the somewhat more upbeat Deadpool #14 where The White Man, who has been petrified since the 1970s, wakes up and seeks revenge against Deadpool and his sidekicks, Power Man and Iron Fist.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Avulsion posted:

Uh, no. It was the somewhat more upbeat Deadpool #14 where The White Man, who has been petrified since the 1970s, wakes up and seeks revenge against Deadpool and his sidekicks, Power Man and Iron Fist.

Actually that's the sequel I mentioned. Turns out the one I was thinking of was the issue prior to that (where they take on the White Man in the '70s). That's where he meets Carmelita (Ellie's mother). It's the perfect issue, down to reproducing the cheap yellow paper, tone-deaf stereotypes, and 4 color offset printing that isn't quite lined up correctly.

But this is probably a discussion for Funny Panels thread. But the issues that deal with him rescuing his daughter with Cap and Wolverine belong in this one *and* the Badass Panels thread.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alhazred posted:

While I also think that sequence was good it's a little bit tonally uneven. At first you're reading a funny little parody of nineties comics (Sabretooth have completely ridiculous hair and both keeps breaking the fourth wall) and then suddenly you get a really dark and grim story.

Pretty much Duggan's Deadpool in a nutshell.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Much like Forums Moderator Deadpool, comics Deadpool hasn't been cool since the 90s. :colbert:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

flosofl posted:

Actually that's the sequel I mentioned. Turns out the one I was thinking of was the issue prior to that (where they take on the White Man in the '70s). That's where he meets Carmelita (Ellie's mother). It's the perfect issue, down to reproducing the cheap yellow paper, tone-deaf stereotypes, and 4 color offset printing that isn't quite lined up correctly.

But this is probably a discussion for Funny Panels thread. But the issues that deal with him rescuing his daughter with Cap and Wolverine belong in this one *and* the Badass Panels thread.

I say it fits because there's this real sense of tonal whiplash in Deadpool's breakdown when he says, "Luke told me to stay out of it." You have two wacky comedy issues followed by a serious arc and there's something really sad about Deadpool blaming himself for this atrocity because he was too into being a goofball nuisance in a very different adventure.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Pretty much Duggan's Deadpool in a nutshell.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Avulsion posted:

you realize the White Man straight up murders two innocent bystanders there, yes?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Parahexavoctal posted:

you realize the White Man straight up murders two innocent bystanders there, yes?

That doesn't really make it less upbeat, just, uh... also grisly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Having a villain called The White Man is just begging for a bunch of jokes at his expense, though, so it's forgivable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Batman Adventures #33. Bruce Wayne decides to take a day off from being Batman and spend some time with a woman he genuinely cares about, and takes her and her kid to the movies.

He then makes a really lovely excuse to leave her and the kid and tracks down the mugger as Batman. He even brings the baseball cap back to the kid and assures him that the 'bad guy' will never threaten him or his mom again. But, of course....

:smith:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Batman Adventures #33. Bruce Wayne decides to take a day off from being Batman and spend some time with a woman he genuinely cares about, and takes her and her kid to the movies.

He then makes a really lovely excuse to leave her and the kid and tracks down the mugger as Batman. He even brings the baseball cap back to the kid and assures him that the 'bad guy' will never threaten him or his mom again. But, of course....

:smith:

Still hold that TAS Batman(in all iterations) is the best Batman.
I have always heard that the Batman: TAS comics were surprisingly excellent reads, and I should probably look for them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I love the DCAU but man do they pile way too much crap on Bruce, even when compared to many of the other versions of him

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

I have always heard that the Batman: TAS comics were surprisingly excellent reads, and I should probably look for them.

For the most part they're very good and fun companion pieces to the animated series, right down to the Batman Beyond and Gotham Adventures comics. There are a couple of stinkers in there, and there's definitely some continuity issues that pop up from the DCAU cartoons not even pretending to care about the comics and thus ignoring things that happened in them or, in some cases, retelling the events but in an altered way (like the animated version of Tim Drake's first appearance which turned him from enthusiastic but incompetent meddler to an obnoxious wunderkind able to defeat thugs on his own with zero training).

The funniest of these is probably this first meeting between the World's Finest.

That's right, Mullet Superman (and giant bearded Luthor) met TAS Batman years before the awesome 3-parter in the Superman cartoon, and had a pretty boring adventure together.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

That's right, Mullet Superman (and giant bearded Luthor) met TAS Batman years before the awesome 3-parter in the Superman cartoon, and had a pretty boring adventure together.

Ha, I actually had this comic and would read it over and over again until the cover came off. Man I used to love reading comics when I was a kid.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Lurdiak posted:

I am so hosed up by this

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

drrockso20 posted:

I love the DCAU but man do they pile way too much crap on Bruce, even when compared to many of the other versions of him

Yeah, this is part of what put me off of comics in general after high school. Why are they just so *against* Bruce being happy for even a little while? :smith: It's One More Day all the gently caress over again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The bat-family is supposed to be what ultimately makes Bruce happy in spite of his choice to be Batman, even if that hits some rough spots in the DCAU.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

The bat-family is supposed to be what ultimately makes Bruce happy in spite of his choice to be Batman, even if that hits some rough spots in the DCAU.

If, by "hits some rough spots", you mean "Bruce ends up driving everyone who cares about him away and becoming a bitter, lonely old man with no one but a dog to keep him company".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

If, by "hits some rough spots", you mean "Bruce ends up driving everyone who cares about him away and becoming a bitter, lonely old man with no one but a dog to keep him company".

Yeah but he ends up reconnecting with Tim and Barbara, and gains a new grandson figure in Terry. And I like to imagine eventually Dick Grayson comes back into the picture and high fives old Bruce, because I don't consider that abortive attempt at a house-style Batman Beyond comic to be canon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Phylodox posted:

Hey, because of a dumb meddling kid he at least eventually reconnects with Clark, Barbara and Tim!

Granted holy poo poo does his life go to some bad places in the 40ish offscreen years though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zore posted:

Hey, because of a dumb meddling kid he at least eventually reconnects with Clark, Barbara and Tim!

Granted holy poo poo does his life go to some bad places in the 40ish offscreen years though.

Honestly the whole DCAU goes to crap during that time period, the League after all goes from more than 60 members down to like 5, and Superman spends most of that time period possessed by Starro

It's why these days I prefer to pretend that Batman Beyond isn't part of the DCAU, cause while it benefits from being part of it, the rest of the DCAU is made worse through being connected to it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is Bruce knocking up Barbara and then Barbara getting shot in the baby still in continuity in Batman Beyond?
Or was it just politely swept under a rug

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Calaveron posted:

So is Bruce knocking up Barbara and then Barbara getting shot in the baby still in continuity in Batman Beyond?

Shhhhh.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Calaveron posted:

What the gently caress?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Sometimes it's better not to know.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What the gently caress?

If I was a betting man, I'd say it's from that DCAU Batman comic where it's revealed that Barb and Dick were dating, she cheats on him with Bruce and ends up pregnant. I thought that particular horror train stopped there, but no, apparently (from context) the would be baby gets Killing Joked.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ DC. I'm not going to pretend like Marvel hasn't done some awful things to pregnant women (and it's probably best for another thread. We should have a WTF thread to go with our Touching, Funny and Badass collections), but that crosses so many lines I can't even come up with a response.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A Killducken if you will

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

I believe the latter. Although the current Beyond comic is a garbage fire so I wouldn't be surprised if that's in canon, just to make the worst possible future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just... try to keep in mind there's 36 issues of Batman adventures volume 1, 25 issues of Batman and Robin Adventures, 60 issues of Gotham Adventures, 30 issues of Batman Beyond v1 and v2, 17 issues of Batman Adventures volume 2, the Gotham Girls mini-series, and the Batman Adventures: The Lost Years mini-series before ANY of that gross poo poo comes up.