Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm 1000% certain Wizards actually hates having to support eternal formats and this is the first step on their path to purposefully destroy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Siivola posted:

I'm 1000% certain Wizards actually hates having to support eternal formats and this is the first step on their path to purposefully destroy it.

Anybody else remember the notes about standard cards in development? Legacy and modern were talked about almost as much if not more than standard in the ones that were posted in the article.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I traded my ugly Force of Will for two Tarmogoyfs and a stack of some Modern miscellania. Now I have a set of Tarmogoyfs afain and I only spent $95 to get them.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Limited is the real cash cow and they seem to be doing okay there.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Commander Banned List Update:

quote:

BANNED
Leovold, Emissary of Trest

UNBANNED
Protean Hulk

RULES
No changes.

We had hopes for Leovold and gave him every opportunity to prove that he would be strong but safe in the format. He simply wasn’t. Leovold violates the tenet of creating undesirable game states by easily locking other players out of the game. We prefer to encourage situations in which everyone gets to play, and it’s too easy for Leovold to create the opposite, even unintentionally.

On the other hand, we feel as though it’s time to let Protean Hulk off the leash. A number of factors led to this decision. Support within the community has been tilting toward Protean Hulk for quite some time. Inside the Rules Committee, we have been leaning in that direction for a while as well, but didn’t have enough of a consensus. Now we do. We acknowledge that the card will be strong, but are of the opinion that it won’t be the centralizing factor it once would have been. Back when Protean Hulk was banned, both creatures and graveyard control were nowhere near as strong as they are today. We know combo possibilities exist with the card, but they need to be specifically built around, so to us it becomes a great value card instead of a dangerous combo piece in casual environments. We suspect that Protean Hulk will be much like Kokusho, the Evening Star when it was unbanned: powerful but not broken in the current Commander landscape.

I'm down with banning Leovold, and all UG commanders. Protean Hulk is just another combo piece, and it doesn't do anything Tooth and Nail doesn't already.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bigperm posted:

Limited is the real cash cow and they seem to be doing okay there.

I think the real cash cow is random casuals and stores opening mountains of boxes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

This only matters if you use the "attack with all" shortcut. When you click on an individual exert creature during Declare Attackers it will give you the option to either attack or attack and exert.

Nah, that's largely bullshit. You're talking about a statistically irrelevant portion of an already statistically irrelevant demographic. There's also a guy who claims that Modern Masters cards aren't real.

I know a good amount of those irrelevant people...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I know a good amount of those irrelevant people...

Did you really need to follow up on this? I don't believe you, end of story.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not sure what my motivation to lie about this would be but sure.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
kinda curious what skullmund.com is about

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

Fyad splinter I am sure.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

Fyad splinter I am sure.

Wanna be GBS superstar morons who have gotten banned in the past month or so.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I clicked on it and tried to figure it out but got bored after 10 seconds. As long as it's not a doxx i don't care.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I also know at least a dozen legacy only players. They fly out to eternal weekend and poo poo every year too. You have to live in the right part of the country to see them imo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

Commander Banned List Update:

I'm down with banning Leovold, and all UG commanders. Protean Hulk is just another combo piece, and it doesn't do anything Tooth and Nail doesn't already.

Right as I was thinking about a nofun.dec with Leovold

As to Hulk, he costs less than Tooth and Nail, and is easier to cheat into play, and there's the upside of being able to bring three creatures in (Melira, Kitchen Finks, Viscera Seer, for example). I think it's gonna make some waves.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
My 5th edition Deathgrip will only go up in value now.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Haha this reminds me I still need to move my leovold for trades, though I'm not surprised he's been banned.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

I clicked on it and tried to figure it out but got bored after 10 seconds. As long as it's not a doxx i don't care.

what kind of other terrible poo poo do you post that people continually make lovely avatars for you

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

what kind of other terrible poo poo do you post that people continually make lovely avatars for you

He posts in D&D, specifically in trump threads. Pretty much the place where you attract attention from the worst of the worst.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's for political poo poo in D&D. I pissed off a lot of people during the election.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Angry Grimace posted:

What the hell is this? There is absolutely 100% people who ONLY play Vintage/Legacy. In that stupid Vice documentary they go to one of my local card shops and show a group of people who talk about how Vintage (or legacy? I can't remember) is the only real format and they don't care about people.

You're being really ridiculous stubborn about something really stupid and really easy for everyone else to accept.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Well I'm having fun in this limited format.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

1) That's not everyone who plays those formats

2) It's true

Standard is actually the cheapest it has been since as long as I have been playing (Innistrad.) I'm actually really enjoying standard right now around me because no one is playing Mardu or Gideon. The entire "value" of standard is tied up in 3 cards: Gideon, Balistia, Liliana.

It is also funny that the only format that was able to fix itself somewhat without banning was Modern.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rides Naked posted:

Well I'm having fun in this limited format.

I too have fun playing against 4-color decks that are playing very bad cards

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

GonSmithe posted:

I too have fun playing against 4-color decks that are playing very bad cards

Well I did say fun, not competitive

sometimes they are not the same thing

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Played some limited and it actually seems like a pretty fun set, better than kaladesh for sure. Cycling is great, embalm seems fairly costed. Drafted a cool UR deck with a high top end that all had cycling, some removal, and Glyph Keeper which is a huge blue bomb. Didn't lose a game where I cast it in a deck with 2 floodwaters and the cycling control magic. The double damage/shock split card was pretty good too.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Well gently caress... so much for all the cash I dropped on Miracles.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
During the prerelease, I had an opponent say he thought that you need to declare what creatures are going to be exerted before you attack, letting the opponent respond with tappers and the like, but I thought that you declare exert as you attack, after it would be too late to do that. It ended up not being an issue because he just agreed with what I said, but I'm curious about how exert triggers get put on the stack. Do they go on whenever you attack with an exert creature, and as they resolve you decide whether or not to actually exert? And if it's declared that a creature is going to be exerted, does that mean it's already resolved and it's too late to respond?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

During the prerelease, I had an opponent say he thought that you need to declare what creatures are going to be exerted before you attack, letting the opponent respond with tappers and the like, but I thought that you declare exert as you attack, after it would be too late to do that. It ended up not being an issue because he just agreed with what I said, but I'm curious about how exert triggers get put on the stack. Do they go on whenever you attack with an exert creature, and as they resolve you decide whether or not to actually exert? And if it's declared that a creature is going to be exerted, does that mean it's already resolved and it's too late to respond?

You exert at the moment you attack. If you do exert, the actual positive benefit you get from exerting uses the stack as a triggered ability ("When you do,") but the choice of whether or not to exert does not use the stack.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The wording on attacking exert guys is "you may exert [CARDNAME] as it attacks." The decision is made as it attacks, and it is not a trigger the opponent may respond to. By the opponent has priority, all the triggered abilities are on the stack and the creatures don't untap next turn.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

lol owned you netdecking noob

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

lol owned you netdecking noob

Yes... I indeed got owned. At least I got 2 good years out of it. Time to switch over to modern. It's hard to find legacy play out here anyway.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I want to take this comment behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Counterbalance and top are the only expensive cards in miracles that got owned by Top's ban. A Force is a Force regardless of list.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Counterbalance and top are the only expensive cards in miracles that got owned by Top's ban. A Force is a Force regardless of list.

Yeah, it's pretty much legacystaples.dec

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Glorybringer isn't made for this Archangel Avacyn world...

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

It doesn't run Leovold though!!!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mfcrocker posted:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

While this is more than true, land bases for legacy are ridiculous, as you know. Switching to another deck requires and multi thousand dollar investment in just lands.

Just moving to BUG or delver would cost over 1500 and the only thing I would have to buy is lands and ancestrals.

I still have Jund to play and Lands. But Miracles was a fun deck to pilot and I'm sad to see it go. Modern will be a fun change I guess. Time to Eldrazi Tron people in the face.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Glorybringer isn't made for this Archangel Avacyn world...

But it can kill Avacyn when it attacks! :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

It's for political poo poo in D&D. I pissed off a lot of people during the election.

and also not during the election