Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been wanting to give android try recently as I haven't since the Nexus S or whatever came out in 2012, and also don't want Touchwiz, so I've been looking at a Pixel XL used and...

lol what's going on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They've been perpetually out of stock since they launched six months ago (unless you have Verizon), so people are apparently paying stupid prices for them.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Google did some research and discovered they could be seen as hip and cool with post-milennials by selling phones in limited quantities much like Yeezy sneakers

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

sirbeefalot posted:

Is the cable going all the way into the port on the phone and clicking into place?

As silly as it sounds, do check this. For a while after I got my Pixel, I wasn't used to how firmly the cable needed to be pressed in. Like there's actually a click to fully seat it. When it's not fully seated, it'll sometimes charge, but sometimes do what you were describing.

It's a long shot, but worth trying before returning it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jealous Cow posted:

I've been wanting to give android try recently as I haven't since the Nexus S or whatever came out in 2012, and also don't want Touchwiz, so I've been looking at a Pixel XL used and...

lol what's going on here

Supply_and_demand.png

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

incogneato posted:

As silly as it sounds, do check this. For a while after I got my Pixel, I wasn't used to how firmly the cable needed to be pressed in. Like there's actually a click to fully seat it. When it's not fully seated, it'll sometimes charge, but sometimes do what you were describing.

Lol if this is it :)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

incogneato posted:

Mine doesn't click at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Duggler posted:

When you held the volume buttons to reboot, how clicky were they?

Lol case in point right here

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

FAUXTON posted:

It's a real bummer about your luck since it's not impossible to get two janks in a row despite everyone else in the thread having solid experiences. Your frustration is understandable given everything you've described so far, hopefully you'll forgive the rather stiff skepticism in return because for most people here who got pixels it's been head, shoulders, knees, and toes above every other phone they owned previously and the whole "I have a really unique but persistent and unreplicable problem that is making me indirectly QUESTION YOUR PURCHASE" schtick is kind of the MO for bad trollwork coming in from time to time.

I totally understand the backlash I've received, and I know it's me making my own bed. I experience an issue and instinctively I come to the forums to bitch and moan as part of the "discussion" process. I mean, hey, I've been posting here for 16 god drat years, almost to the day. I realize that I should be taking the time to prepare my posts a little better.

Anywho.. to the "clicky volume buttons" question, it's interesting that I'm being asked this because one thing I noticed about my replacement is that the volume buttons were clicky AS gently caress in comparison to my original device. It was actually kind of annoying. Is there some correlation between clicky buttons and troublesome hardware/software?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cherry MX Blue volume switches.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Variable_H posted:

Cherry MX Blue volume switches.

God tier.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

hooah posted:

Mine doesn't click at all.

To be fair, some of my cables do and some don't. It's probably still worth checking before sending the phone back, though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Do you have a case on the phone? And if you do, is the opening for the charger plug not quite wide enough for the plug to push in all the way?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

No case obstruction and the cable is going in all the way.

I had my phone plugged into my car and was driving around last night listening to S Town (loving incredible, btw) with no issue. I went home and pretty much went right to bed. When I woke up and saw that the battery was pretty low, I plugged it in and it suddenly just started jumping between charging and not. Can't imagine what occurred while I was asleep to gently caress things up.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Tried plugging it into my car and into my laptop with the other cable. It just jumps from charging to not like 3 times a second.

I had a Galaxy S3 that did exactly this. It was a bad phone port and I had to resort to charging several batteries with a dedicated wall charger, swapping as needed, until I bought a replacement phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ShoogaSlim posted:

No case obstruction and the cable is going in all the way.

I had my phone plugged into my car and was driving around last night listening to S Town (loving incredible, btw) with no issue. I went home and pretty much went right to bed. When I woke up and saw that the battery was pretty low, I plugged it in and it suddenly just started jumping between charging and not. Can't imagine what occurred while I was asleep to gently caress things up.

Was it with the same cable as the one used in your car?

E: also, and I don't remember off the top of my head if the phone came boxed with a Micro-to-C dongle (so you can charge with an old cable) but you could see if it charges with that. Basically all the steps you'd use to try and narrow down the cause, different cables, bricks, outlets. If you have them, that is. I think there was a standard A-to-C cable but it may have come with the charger, which I might have ordered separately.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 24, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Whats the thread consensus on Huawei, Xiaomi or other Chinese companies making high end phones? It seems that a few of the manufacturers have been releasing flagships trying to compete with Samsung/Apple while being significantly cheaper. Aside from lowered cost, do these phones have any benefits or interesting features which would make them a better choice than, say, a current gen iPhone or Google Pixel?

I haven't been paying attention to android since joining team stebe (in like 2013), but its pretty exciting to see this market get large enough to influence global consumers. But right now it seems like theres still a bit of initial growth spurts going on?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Google didn't include a replacement for any cable or brick with my refurb so it's all the same stuff that worked with my original phone.

The box included a USB-C (new) to USB-A (the one that fits into pretty much everything like your computer, car, power bricks, etc) as well as a USB-C to C and a power brick (with a USB-C) input.

I tried all different combinations of input (computer, car, brick) and nothing worked until I just jammed the cable in and out of the thing a few times and long-pressed power+volume.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ShoogaSlim posted:

Google didn't include a replacement for any cable or brick with my refurb so it's all the same stuff that worked with my original phone.

The box included a USB-C (new) to USB-A (the one that fits into pretty much everything like your computer, car, power bricks, etc) as well as a USB-C to C and a power brick (with a USB-C) input.

I tried all different combinations of input (computer, car, brick) and nothing worked until I just jammed the cable in and out of the thing a few times and long-pressed power+volume.

Yeah I'm leaning towards signaling issues, it sounds like it was more of a glitch than persistent (which would be suggestive of hardware) right now but it's possible there's some slow failure (like a bad resistor failing under longer term use idk) that could cause it to come back later and require a "cool down" off the charger to come back to working condition. It sounds like it was definitely caused within the handset unless your bad luck also extends to two bad cables.

I guess just use as normal, contact google if it fails again and be mindful of what was happening when it could have started happening (e.g. if it comes back after podcast playing in the car on the car charger) so they have possible causes. Maaaaaaybe it was a heat thing, if you were streaming the podcasts, playing over BT, while charging on one of the rapid modes? That has never cropped up with me under similar usage (streaming with BT headphones at work on the OEM charger) but if it was in the direct sun or something in your car maybe. Then it would probably just refuse to charge until it fell back within normal parameters, potentially with the status polling causing that flashing as it indicates charging, then pings the battery and gets a no-go signal back, fails, and retries. I would imagine it would be more directly shown to you if it was a battery heat issue AND the Daydream makes the phone almost untouchably hot without having charging issues immediately out of the headset. So while it could still be a weird heat thing I'm thinking a port glitch that is making it not ask for the charging current properly, and it got fixed by a hard reset and complete discharge. No promises but hey maybe you're fine.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on these types of issues, and I appreciate your insight.

For further context, my phone gets plugged into my car via USB and runs Android Auto. I do this every day and use Spotify/Maps/Pocket Casts all the time. I rarely charge my phone because it charges so rapidly compared to my iPhone and it also holds onto a charge better, too. Idk if it's poor charging habit, but it's nothing that I wasn't doing with my first handset.

I'm traveling in 20 days and I'm nervous as hell that my phone will poo poo itself again while I'm away or on the plane or something. I'm going to wind up bringing my iPhone with me as well.

I don't suppose it makes sense to stay on the waiting list for Google Support if the phone is working perfectly as expected at this point, yeah?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

atomicthumbs posted:

The fact that it requires one is absurd. Apple included it by necessity on a phone with a 5.5" screen, which was already going too far.

I can see the niche for people with large hands, though. The problem is that the iPhone 7 and iPhone SE are the only small high-end phones.
Non XL pixel doesn't exist?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ilkhan posted:

Non XL pixel doesn't exist?

He doesn't consider 130mm diagonal small.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks! I'm not super thrilled with the false bokeh (such as the photo with the girl flipping you off) but the camera overall has good reviews, I actually like EMUI (gasp) and like you I'm a sucker for big phones and big batteries.

Yeah, the bokeh effect works well with stationary objects in good light, not so much with smartass bartenders.

EMUI is also not terrible. I really appreciate the battery saving features they included. Also, have fun getting 9 hours of screen on time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ShoogaSlim posted:

You seem to have a wealth of knowledge on these types of issues, and I appreciate your insight.

For further context, my phone gets plugged into my car via USB and runs Android Auto. I do this every day and use Spotify/Maps/Pocket Casts all the time. I rarely charge my phone because it charges so rapidly compared to my iPhone and it also holds onto a charge better, too. Idk if it's poor charging habit, but it's nothing that I wasn't doing with my first handset.

I'm traveling in 20 days and I'm nervous as hell that my phone will poo poo itself again while I'm away or on the plane or something. I'm going to wind up bringing my iPhone with me as well.

I don't suppose it makes sense to stay on the waiting list for Google Support if the phone is working perfectly as expected at this point, yeah?

Thanks, I've never held any kind of tech support position outside of maybe 6 months providing phone tech support for credit card terminals which mainly involved helping people configure them and building pre-configured downloads for new merchants. Embedded software is generally pretty good at overall reliability so it was mainly a "can it turn on?/What does it say?/Ok do this/Okay I'm scheduling a visit from your local contact to get a new one for you, they'll be able to let you know whether it's covered" thing but hey, a few things sunk in, such as imagining far too many things as flowcharts than is reasonable.

That said, the fact that you tend towards what I'm guessing is a couple hours solid of heavy use while charging during commutes, interspersed with lower-intensity use (i.e. fewer active sensors since you're not running the auto system, more time asleep as a percentage of power on time) makes me think it's related to that, especially given you said it started failing to charge around when you'd been driving. I'd recommend taking a backup phone just in case, since low-level (i.e. below the OS) issues can be really difficult to distinguish from hardware ones and if it's a hardware issue the next time it fails it may be for good. That's probably not what you were hoping but I went from that tech support position into financial investigations so I've grown to be fairly risk-averse as a professional matter, even outside my spreadsheets and threats to branch staff. I'd also say you should keep on the waitlist for Google Support since them having documentation of the issue means it'll be smoother sailing if it happens again since it then becomes a pattern of device behavior rather than a one-off glitch (like I'm kind of hoping it is for the sake of your convenience) and they can better substantiate sending a replacement since the issue persisted after going through the normal user-service steps.

Bottom line, you don't deserve to be dealing with a phone that stops charging without any notice, even if you can just hard reboot to clear it. Continue using the device as normal while remaining on the google waitlist and (since it's relatively soon) plan to drag a second phone along on your trip. If by the time you leave you haven't had any charging issues under typical usage then you're probably not going to have any on the road either unless you plan on really riding the device hard and doing things that really put load on the power system (netflix, lots of time off wifi and in poor-signal areas etc) but it's good to plan. Keeping that line of contact with Google open means that you can report this incident and maybe find out something like it's a known replacement issue or has a known solution.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

buglord posted:

Whats the thread consensus on Huawei, Xiaomi or other Chinese companies making high end phones? It seems that a few of the manufacturers have been releasing flagships trying to compete with Samsung/Apple while being significantly cheaper. Aside from lowered cost, do these phones have any benefits or interesting features which would make them a better choice than, say, a current gen iPhone or Google Pixel?
There are plenty of people in the thread who are happy with their phones from ZTE, Huawei/Honor, and OnePlus, but the general thread opinion is that you should pony up for the Pixel.

There are some reasons to buy them, mostly related to their lower cost, but also including SD cards, dual SIMs, international LTE bands, screen size, etc. If you have a list of what you really want most in a phone and know your budget it's not too hard to narrow down.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Any advice on troubleshooting my Pixel xl? I did a factory reset but that didn't solve the issue. I have been chuckling reading the posts in here about the lag fest using Samsung phones. My Pixel has been straight lagging in every app since the latest update. Completely freezes and I will get the " do you want to force close or wait " option after it resumes operating. Is a warranty replacement my best bet? At least the restoring from the cloud isn't as bad as it was back in the day

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

There are plenty of people in the thread who are happy with their phones from ZTE, Huawei/Honor, and OnePlus, but the general thread opinion is that you should pony up for the Pixel.

There are some reasons to buy them, mostly related to their lower cost, but also including SD cards, dual SIMs, international LTE bands, screen size, etc. If you have a list of what you really want most in a phone and know your budget it's not too hard to narrow down.

It's also a "can you spend $3-400 annually to keep up with security or $800 every 2 years" question since for a lot of people "just save the money you would have spent :v:" isn't an option since a lot of folks don't really have the extra income to save and use their tax refund to upgrade their phone, etc.

I mean yeah if you can afford a Pixel it's hilariously still the best phone for the money even with a new one presumably being released in the next 6-7 months. With the value brands you're looking at potentially sketchy firmware customizations, possibly some corners being cut on the hardware, and almost certainly a 12 month support window at best. However, they're cheaper so you can just get the new one every year if it's in your price range. All phones are, to some degree, disposable. Some are just meant to be disposed of more frequently and are priced accordingly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Any advice on troubleshooting my Pixel xl? I did a factory reset but that didn't solve the issue. I have been chuckling reading the posts in here about the lag fest using Samsung phones. My Pixel has been straight lagging in every app since the latest update. Completely freezes and I will get the " do you want to force close or wait " option after it resumes operating. Is a warranty replacement my best bet? At least the restoring from the cloud isn't as bad as it was back in the day

boilerplate "uninstall facebook" response.

Aside from that, factory resetting kind of narrows it down - either you've got a hardware issue that is decreasing the usable resources (RAM, CPU) available or you've got a process that's hogging the gently caress out of it all, with possible aggravating factors being things like loving around with an antivirus or third party "battery saver" poo poo that supersedes the system management and purges things from memory as soon as they go into background so you've got to start from the beginning every time you switch apps.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Launch in safe mode, if its still happening you probably need to check your warranty

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's possible the OS is downloading a system update in the background and you're posting about lag that only happened within very recent history (there's a touch of "big things going on in the background" lag when it's doing the first half of the update) but your post references persistence past a factory reset so I doubt it's that.

HOWEVER, if you were updating and have been loving with your phone (restarts, factory resets) so much that it hasn't been able to finish, that might be the cause.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

If its been happening for more than like, 15 minutes I'd say its safe to say its not an OS update

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I wish I had Facebook because it would be an easy fix. That app is hot trash. Yeah the lag set in after 7.1.2 dropped and I'm pretty anal about not using the phone after it updates so that it can finish all it's poo poo. The only app that could be suspect is the foscam app. Probably being used to spy on my kids etc. I will try booting into safemode. Not looking forward having to explain this to Verizon tech support and get a replacement

Edit: it does remind me of using my s4 back in the day!

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 25, 2017

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

buglord posted:

I got a LeEco LeMax 2 (6GB RAM, 128GB internal storage version) unlocked for $250 and am very pleased with it. It has specs comparable or better than last years flagships for a third of the price, and really nice build quality despite the price. As long as you know going in that you'll have next to no support (the warranty card that came with the phone? Redirects to a 404...) unless you flash custom ROMS yourself, you can definitely find a Chinese brand phone that suits your needs (as long as those needs don't include amazing camera quality in low lighting).

The Pixel is a better phone, no doubt. Is it $750 worth of better? Ehhhhh... I don't think so..

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Arcanen posted:

I got a LeEco LeMax 2 (6GB RAM, 128GB internal storage version) unlocked for $250 and am very pleased with it. It has specs comparable or better than last years flagships for a third of the price, and really nice build quality despite the price. As long as you know going in that you'll have next to no support (the warranty card that came with the phone? Redirects to a 404...) unless you flash custom ROMS yourself, you can definitely find a Chinese brand phone that suits your needs (as long as those needs don't include amazing camera quality in low lighting).

The Pixel is a better phone, no doubt. Is it $750 worth of better? Ehhhhh... I don't think so..

PULL UP PULL UP

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

nimper posted:

PULL UP PULL UP

I mean, I know it's not a popular view here, and that I just can't possible understand the life-changing majesty of a phone 4x the cost of my own until I've used one for an extended period of time. But I'm happy with the purchase and comfortable with the downsides (lack of support, crappy fingerprint scanner, smallish battery, no future OTA updates, poor lowlight camera performance). No noticeable lag with any applications (since it has the CPU/GPU combo of last years flagships), and the average smartphone cycle means that it'll stay that way for at least another year.

For me, the things that $900 phones have that this phone doesn't aren't worth the cost. People have different requirements, wants, and budgets. This works for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah phones used to be a auxiliary function of my life but as a millennial I need them practically fused onto my hand or pocket. Do android phones have a iMessage equivalent, or at least sending/receiving messages using wifi instead of cellular signals?

College town I'm in is full of redwoods near my place so cell signal is shot to hell. But wifi signal is 👌🏼

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

buglord posted:

Yeah phones used to be a auxiliary function of my life but as a millennial I need them practically fused onto my hand or pocket. Do android phones have a iMessage equivalent, or at least sending/receiving messages using wifi instead of cellular signals?

College town I'm in is full of redwoods near my place so cell signal is shot to hell. But wifi signal is 👌🏼

No Android phones don't have a imessage equivalent without making all your friends download a separate app.

With that said some carriers have Wi-Fi sending for sms but it's heavily carrier dependent

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I have had my Galaxy S8+ since Friday. Until yesterday I was using it without my typical TPU case. For some perhaps unnecessary context, I'm coming from a Galaxy S6. My only complaint at all about the phone is that before the case it felt a little too thin and hard to hold, but now I'm totally in love. I've had no lag, the fingerprint scanner location is perfect, the camera is excellent, the battery life is excellent, the screen is beautiful. The iris scanner is a game-changing feature for me. It works immediately when I turn my phone on. It's so fast that half the time I don't even see my lock screen. (It unlocks so fast that the screen turns on to my home screen if I remember to look at the sensor.) It works indoors, outdoors, with or without my glasses, and in very dark conditions.

This phone's a great buy. I can't recommend it enough. I even remapped the bixby button to something useful!

I can't really call it a complaint -- more of a quibble -- but this is my only remaining issue with the software:

clamiam45 posted:

Anybody know how to resize exploded folders? When I expand a folder in my dock on my home screen, it takes up the entire screen. Whereas when I did it on my old phone, the folder only took up a small portion of the screen near the dock.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

Also I'm buying a Mate 9 today because I'm hotsauce jr.
Welcome, my son. :getin:

May I interest you in a griptape back for it? dbrand stole my idea ya'll...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Quick question, so I am using chrome dev, and swiftkey, and within the last few days, i often can't type anything in website forms, like a search box. Typing on the address bar works. Everything works normally again after swipe closing chrome and reopening. was there a change?

I think i got LastPass and pushbullet as the only app having accessibility access.

Also, have people switched back to gvoice from hangout? Gvoice looks ok after the last update, but hesitating cause i have a lot of history on hangout.