Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Hope you're ready for a Monday race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

tater_salad posted:

I know he owns Bristol too but isn't he part of the reason for 1.5 mile tri-ovals.

Didn't he ruin Bristol then say oh I didn't know what the contractors were doing? And then spend more money to fix it?

Right didn't he resurface it with progressive banking and it ruined the racing so bad that they did another resurface between the spring and fall race? Some of you guys have way better memories on this stuff than I do.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Bruton Smith is both the reason for all the lovely cookie cutter tracks and he's the guy who repaved Bristol and ruined it. He's also the one who killed Wilkesboro.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I didn't know this was a thing, but it is cool and good:

https://twitter.com/garynelsonracer/status/855787591077167106

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut President posted:

Bruton Smith is both the reason for all the lovely cookie cutter tracks and he's the guy who repaved Bristol and ruined it. He's also the one who killed Wilkesboro.

Enoch Staley sounds like a good guy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

I'll still whine about to this day, but one of the bigger mistakes Cup made was abandoning southern tracks with their own character in favor of cookie cutters in major metropolitan areas.

Short term? It worked. Long Term? It's biting them in the rear end attendance wise.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'll still whine about to this day, but one of the bigger mistakes Cup made was abandoning southern tracks with their own character in favor of cookie cutters in major metropolitan areas.

Short term? It worked. Long Term? It's biting them in the rear end attendance wise.

Obviously my exposure to the sport is much more limited that you fellas in here. But I've been busy watching a lot of the 80s races that were recommended, and I agree. There's charm and character missing that once was a thing.

And I like the new product. It could is it be a lot better. Becuse it was.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Larson put down 32 cars in 80 laps

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bigbillystyle posted:

Right didn't he resurface it with progressive banking and it ruined the racing so bad that they did another resurface between the spring and fall race? Some of you guys have way better memories on this stuff than I do.

It was more like three years between the resurfacing and unfucking of the racetrack.

He also publicly denied any knowledge that the track was being repaved and blamed a rogue engineer so the knuckle-dragging retards he thinks all of us are wouldn't hate him.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
loving rain, OCFS opener cancelled :mad:

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

It was more like three years between the resurfacing and unfucking of the racetrack.

He also publicly denied any knowledge that the track was being repaved and blamed a rogue engineer so the knuckle-dragging retards he thinks all of us are wouldn't hate him.

Lol if he thinks race fans think he's anything but a stuffed shirted rear end in a top hat.

This race getting rained out. And I really wanted the distraction from the goddamn Seattle Mariners.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh poo poo really? Why am I thinking they did a mid-season resurface? Am I just thinking of another track?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Elitist Bitch posted:

Lol if he thinks race fans think he's anything but a stuffed shirted rear end in a top hat.

This race getting rained out. And I really wanted the distraction from the goddamn Seattle Mariners.

1pm Eastern Monday, FOX/PRN.

There's always IndyCar for rain delay entertainment.

bigbillystyle posted:

Oh poo poo really? Why am I thinking they did a mid-season resurface? Am I just thinking of another track?

Attendance plummeted to the point where nobody could figure out why people weren't coming anymore (:downsbravo:), at which point they tore up the track between the Spring and Fall races.

It's funny to read through the Wikipedia article about BMS for quick reference and see no mention at all of the re-reconfiguration to New Old Bristol; the first repave started immediately following the 2007 Food City 500 with DW making the first cut and the track was again redone in time for the 2012 night race.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 23, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
In 1961, the track hosted a National Football League preseason game. They should do this if they want attendance for today's race.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

not looking good

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Naw that stuff is moving east.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

according to that radar it's moving NW

http://www.nascar.com/weather

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Tuned in late, why is this red flagged? They're in total time killing mode, so they've shown all the replays and had all the discussion they needed to, but for someone like me who tuned in a bit late, now I'm just seeing a red flag for some reason.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Tuned in late, why is this red flagged? They're in total time killing mode, so they've shown all the replays and had all the discussion they needed to, but for someone like me who tuned in a bit late, now I'm just seeing a red flag for some reason.

Debris

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Wow, really? It just seemed to stretch on for so long, to the point where I was wondering if it was raining and just not coming across on the stream. Well then, back to green we go.

vvv you sly dog

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 24, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Wow, really? It just seemed to stretch on for so long, to the point where I was wondering if it was raining and just not coming across on the stream. Well then, back to green we go.

Actually I don't know. I'm bored in class and thought of the most NASCAR reason for a red flag.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That Sunny D paint scheme owns.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

iospace posted:

Actually I don't know. I'm bored in class and thought of the most NASCAR reason for a red flag.

You were actually right though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dentist toy box posted:

You were actually right though.

Really? :laffo:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Kinda sorta, there was a pretty big wreck and they just took forever cleaning up the debris from it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Junyer crashed, but because the crash was caused by a mechanical failure, they could take the car to the garage and not go on the five-minute clock to repair the mechanical issue but no body damage.

O...kay?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So Larson gets penalized for speeding even though he wasn't actually speeding?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
That was nice of Harvick to gift Johnson the lead

And apparently everyone but Larson

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Caught the last 100 laps. That was one of the best Bristol races I've seen in a really long time.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

My DVR hosed up and I missed the finish. :shepicide:

The one part of the race that did record, though. :suicide:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nascar stages is one of the dumbest things i have watched. What the gently caress is that

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Nascar stages is one of the dumbest things i have watched. What the gently caress is that

We don't know either

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's better than competition cautions

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Norns posted:

Or the caution clock. That sure was ham-fisted.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

It's really probably the least dumb rule Nascar has come up with in recent memory.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Norns posted:

Aren't stage breaks technically competition cautions, though?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

WindyMan posted:

Aren't stage breaks technically competition cautions, though?

I mean yes.

Okay it saves some debris flags...

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Jr is hanging it up at the end of the season.
http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/articles/78455/dale-earnhardt-jr-to-retire-from-nascar-cup-series-following-2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sad, but not surprising. I think everyone was expecting that after last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:tviv:

Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, Biffle, Earnhardt. In three years. Replaced by Elliott, Bowyer, Suarez, a transferred Charter, and TBD. Those names just don't have the same bang for the buck.

• Locked thread