Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ate all the Oreos posted:

Naw it was mostly frivolous hobby poo poo, either i'd see a cool bullshit thing on ebay (man wouldn't it be great to have an atomic clock i'm gonna buy that surplus atomic clock!!!) or I'd get it in my head that I'm totally gonna build a project and then buy a tool or some things to build it with and then they arrive and I poke at them a bit and decide that i'm not interested anymore or it's too hard and then put them in the closet forever. I've at least managed to repurpose a bit of the stuff in other more practical things and i'm sure i can eventually find a use for most of it but yeah.

Also I got these which, while kinda pointless since i already have ladles, are at least really cute :3:

I just leave them out on my counter so it looks like they're kissing :kimchi:

I think you would very much enjoy seeing this

Apparently Samson also has an instagram now. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

sad story about loser with LOL-obsessed wife

I think that the repeated takeaway that we continue to see over and over in these cases is a really simple one: if you don't want anyone to gently caress with your money, manage it yourself.

Yes I understand trusts and relationships blah blah blah but it's really just a matter of not allowing this variable into the equation in the first place. At the very least shared accounts should be monitored by both parties. Homie could have caught onto his wife's habits since like, day zero if he was also checking into their shared savings regularly.

Granted, their situation is still BWM lite, as the amount that the wife pissed away on other smelly nerds is a pretty trivial sum and I'd say this is a pretty minor form of "spousal deceit".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Baja Mofufu posted:

I was texting a group of my mom friends to ask if anyone had a Coverdell ESA and was satisfied with the brokerage firm (TD Ameritrade is driving me crazy). This is what I got:

This couple is in their early 30s and no family history of young people having cancer. They're both fairly successful professionals with employer-provided health insurance. BWM Dad even works in banking (of course). One of those cases where someone seems fairly competent and then :aaa:

I mean cancer insurance does seem like a fairly good thing to get (though this one in particular does sound bullshit) since your normal insurance could easily not cover it all and your base chance of getting cancer in your lifetime is ~40% :shrug:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
12% investment opportunity in mortgages! No risk!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/syndicated-mortages-1.4078124

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If you own a home - don't contribute to your 401k. Do this instead!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Nail Rat posted:

If you own a home - don't contribute to your 401k. Do this instead!

Like a big, wooden IRA.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Like a big, wooden IRA.

That finally explains these stickers!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Barry posted:

How come it's not 8BR, pleb?

We looked at a house twice the size of the one we bought on something like 3x as much land. It was nice, and the price, for what you got, was great (even considering the caveats I'm about to lay out). However, it was a foreclosure and while the bank was going to do any needed repairs (which weren't extensive, it's not like the previous owner had taken a sledgehammer to the walls), all the appliances had been taken out and we'd have been on the hook for that. In addition, there was an unfinished barn on the property, right up front, so we'd have either had to pay to get it finished or pay to get it taken down.

We could have afforded the mortgage, but between the cost of replacing all the appliances, doing something with the barn, furnishing all that space, and the associated utility costs, we decided not to go for it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
More rooms in my home dwelling = more loving surface area for me to keep clean, free of critters, keep presentable and decorated, etc. Extra storage space is stupidly overrated by we Americans to an insane degree (though I am not a fan of them microhomes either!)

Do note that I am childless so that is certainly a factor but still, people could toss out 80 percent of their possessions with zero detriment to their (still empty) lives, the last few years I've really enjoyed a less is more approach to my living arrangements (cept for my super gaming PC yo, 60 fps or bust)

There's also higher utility costs, etc but I think y'all already touched on that

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 24, 2017

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ornamented Death posted:

We looked at a house twice the size of the one we bought on something like 3x as much land. It was nice, and the price, for what you got, was great (even considering the caveats I'm about to lay out). However, it was a foreclosure and while the bank was going to do any needed repairs (which weren't extensive, it's not like the previous owner had taken a sledgehammer to the walls), all the appliances had been taken out and we'd have been on the hook for that. In addition, there was an unfinished barn on the property, right up front, so we'd have either had to pay to get it finished or pay to get it taken down.

We could have afforded the mortgage, but between the cost of replacing all the appliances, doing something with the barn, furnishing all that space, and the associated utility costs, we decided not to go for it.

cool story bro

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

KingSlime posted:

Extra storage space is stupidly overrated by we Americans to an insane degree (though I am not a fan of them microhomes either!)

Not just you Americans.

My former manager used to tell us about his former boss at the bakery he used to work at, who he referred to as an "absolute loving, dripping oval office", a accurate description based on others who have met him have also said.

He bought a $1m property on one of those 100% mortgages they were throwing around like confetti a decade ago, featuring five bedrooms and two garages, after his wife told him to, and is constantly aware that the slightest increase in interest rates will lead to him being foreclosed on.

He was also in my local newspaper a while ago, baffled why he couldn't get baking staff, and the ones he got soon quit. (The reason for this being stated above, which was obvious to everyone apart from himself.)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Throwing out my guitars and my bumper plates wouldn't help fill the hole inside of me thank you very much

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

KingSlime posted:

More rooms in my home dwelling = more loving surface area for me to keep clean, free of critters, keep presentable and decorated, etc. Extra storage space is stupidly overrated by we Americans to an insane degree (though I am not a fan of them microhomes either!)

Do note that I am childless so that is certainly a factor but still, people could toss out 80 percent of their possessions with zero detriment to their (still empty) lives, the last few years I've really enjoyed a less is more approach to my living arrangements (cept for my super gaming PC yo, 60 fps or bust)

There's also higher utility costs, etc but I think y'all already touched on that

You're doing it wrong, if you buy a big enough place then when it gets gross you just lock the door and move into a different room. With enough rooms you can do this almost indefinitely!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone with over 2000 and no kids should buy a guillotine for our convenience, tbh.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

KingSlime posted:

More rooms in my home dwelling = more loving surface area for me to keep clean

Maybe try not loving on every clear surface and it will be easier to keep clean.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Anyone with over 2000 and no kids should buy a guillotine for our convenience, tbh.

Single people don't even need over 1000, though, we can send them to the guillotine too.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

therobit posted:

Maybe try not loving on every clear surface and it will be easier to keep clean.

Look at this single 4channer everyone.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

monster on a stick posted:

Single people don't even need over 1000, though, we can send them to the guillotine too.

We have a small space behind our garage we were debating how to use I think we have our answer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you're not living in one of those tiny IKEA model apartments you're killing Mother Earth.

Fight Gaia IRL.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

therobit posted:

You should really fully clean your living space at least once or twice a week (more frequenty if you have pets), regardless of how much loving there isn't or isn't going on

you gross goonie goonz

*retires back to designated loving surface area*

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 25, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
really though from my tiny anecdotal sample, all of my friends use their "extra space" to keep clutter they never ever touch, as a secondary closet for the girlfriend, or a room for the cats

literally no one I know that owns a decently-sized house is doing anything good or useful with their extra bedrooms

aside from additional loving scenarios and zones i guess

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why not invite strangers to stay in your spare rooms and AirBnB your way to riches?

KingSlime posted:

You should really fully clean your living space at least once or twice a week (more frequenty if you have pets), regardless of how much loving there isn't or isn't going on

Sure, if you're slime.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

really though from my tiny anecdotal sample, all of my friends use their "extra space" to keep clutter they never ever touch, as a secondary closet for the girlfriend, or a room for the cats

literally no one I know that owns a decently-sized house is doing anything good or useful with their extra bedrooms

We have five bedrooms. Our bedroom, two kids, one long term houseguest, and two offices.

Offices/manchild caves appear to be the most obvious choice for extra bedrooms. Although a cat room does sound intriguing.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hmm I guess the idea of a home office is appealing but my home office is literally any computer with internet access! So I couldn't justify bothering with all that since my PC is in my bedroom anyways, but also can't write off any portion of my apt for taxes so :shrug:

I just don't get why my childless friends insist on moving out far away (making their commute hell) into giant homes that are mostly empty (it's been a trend for my social group lately). It's like after a certain age a lot of people feel the need to transition into a house. Most of them are renting too, so it's not like they are getting *house equity* or whatever

The cat room was pretty chill I won't lie

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Hmm I guess the idea of a home office is appealing but my home office is literally any computer with internet access! So I couldn't justify bothering with all that since my PC is in my bedroom anyways, but also can't write off any portion of my apt for taxes so :shrug:

I just don't get why my childless friends insist on moving out far away (making their commute hell) into giant homes that are mostly empty (it's been a trend for my social group lately). It's like after a certain age a lot of people feel the need to transition into a house. Most of them are renting too, so it's not like they are getting *house equity* or whatever

The cat room was pretty chill I won't lie
Society (paid for by realtors, the construction sector, and the automotive industry) told people they needed to own large homes in the suburbs or else they're worthless failures.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Really want to scoop the derail bird's food in a nessie ladle

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

therobit posted:

Almost certainly of horse. It is a delicacy in Tohoku, Japan.vI only got one chance to try it when I wss there but it was the beginning of my stay there and I was not adventurous enough and thought there would be other chances. A year un when I tried to find some I was told it was seasonal and not on the regular menus, anr after that my wife had a baby and I sort of fogot about it. I deeply regret not eating raw horse when given the chance.

yeah i think that was probably just the area/restaurant you went to. being sashimi you'd need a fresh source but it's not like horses themselves are seasonal lol

anyway horse meat is really, really delicious and everyone should try it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Zo posted:

yeah i think that was probably just the area/restaurant you went to. being sashimi you'd need a fresh source but it's not like horses themselves are seasonal lol

anyway horse meat is really, really delicious and everyone should try it.

In Japan a lot of the time they will only offer certain foods at certain times of year because that is when they were traditionally eaten. I lived in the middle of nowhere, so probably in a big city it could have been different.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Trust me: If you keep your girlfriend in a closet, you'll never have to worry about loving surfaces.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

therobit posted:

In Japan a lot of the time they will only offer certain foods at certain times of year because that is when they were traditionally eaten. I lived in the middle of nowhere, so probably in a big city it could have been different.

Take pumpkin pie and eggnog, for example.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Well, I know it's easy to forget in the line at Starbucks, but pumpkin pie used to actually be made out of a big squash called a "pumpkin" with a growing season of about 100 days, and therefore only available to be made into pies in the fall

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Weatherman posted:

I noticed that Dean's was trying to sell Easter themed egg nog this year

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

Really want to scoop the derail bird's food in a nessie ladle

I know you're just trying to get the thread back on track but I would love to see a bird eating out of a nessie ladle or maybe playing in one full of water :kimchi:

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
i can also attest to the fact that horse sushi in japan was the most tender, mouth-watering, best sushi i've ever had.

it was at an all you can eat + all you can drink restaurant, so the pieces were just in the middle of a huge plate of sushi and they were super bright red. i thought it was just tuna, ate it, and the girls at the table giggled and told my japanese speaking friend it was horse.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

therobit posted:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Well, I know it's easy to forget in the line at Starbucks, but pumpkin pie used to actually be made out of a big squash called a "pumpkin" with a growing season of about 100 days, and therefore only available to be made into pies in the fall

Squashes keep for a super long time though and with cold storage they should be available year round. He is right about seasonal availability of some foods. Japan just does that with a lot more stuff. Really though go to France and a decent restaurant isn't serving onion soup in August so probably America is the strange one.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ate all the Oreos posted:

I know you're just trying to get the thread back on track but I would love to see a bird eating out of a nessie ladle or maybe playing in one full of water :kimchi:

No I'm serious I want those things too :kimchi:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Most pumpkin pies are made from canned pumpkin.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

Most pumpkin pies are made from canned pumpkin.

Most cans of pumpkin aren't pumpkin. But that's ok, nobody really wants real pumpkin anyway (seriously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I just draw on some sugar pie pumpkins for Halloween and then clean, cook, purée and freeze them.

But i sometimes use canned pumpkin which is squash but pumpkins are squash so who cares.

• Locked thread