Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

It has to do with how we're incorporated there and the work being done - which is way more than I'm willing to tap out right now. Work visas are required, and we are required to document all work done and file with several layers of government there. Income and benefits taxed in both India and home country. I could go on and on.

I didn't know Leonard J. Crabs practiced corporate law on the subcontinent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How about getting an APEC card?

and I like the bread rolls in Air France. They do bread right :ohdear:

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

caberham posted:

How about getting an APEC card?

and I like the bread rolls in Air France. They do bread right :ohdear:

That's the only thing they do right. And (usually warm) Champagne in economy with decent business class lounges at CDG.

Otherwise, oh man.. no power plugs in economy on the plane, and bulkhead economy seats don't even have USB power (!), crap angled business seats on most of their fleet, and very snooty service most of the time.

I avoid AF pretty hard.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Vomik posted:

Hmm - what's so hard about India? I have a 5-year business visa and I've gone several times to there and Delhi and it's never been a big deal or a hassle. Do you have to get a work visa for the type of work? I usually go for 2-3 weeks tops.
My e-visa was approved in less than a day, and I'll be applying for a 5 year visa as soon as I get home. Apparently the team I'm working with over here was told I'll be here quarterly, which was news to me. I'll take it though. 4 business class trips to India = diamond status for me.

quote:

I took business class on the Air France A380 - it was a piece of poo poo. I'm pretty sure it's the EXACT same as their other business class product... so I guess the seat has had less asses on it and that's it. I should have paid the 1800 EUR to upgrade to first. I did the A380 between NY and Paris - would have been nice to see the supposed amazing lounge with first and the limo ride, etc.
Well that's disappointing. I was reading up on KE last night and supposedly they have decent rates to be able to upgrade from business to first, and their service is supposed to be awesome. Looks like I'll be doing a JFK-ICN round trip later this year.

i fly airplanes posted:

That's the only thing they do right. And (usually warm) Champagne in economy with decent business class lounges at CDG.

Otherwise, oh man.. no power plugs in economy on the plane, and bulkhead economy seats don't even have USB power (!), crap angled business seats on most of their fleet, and very snooty service most of the time.

I avoid AF pretty hard.
The lounge in 2E wasn't anything special. Most Delta lounges in ATL are as nice or nicer than that lounge. Maybe I need to try a different one.

My seat sucked. The headphone jack was loose, the IFE had to be reset twice, the selection of movies was poo poo, I kept sliding down in the 70% recline seat, and being 6'3", that stupid little flip out foot rest thing hits me square in the calf/ankle area. AirFrance can suck it.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 24, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
AirFrance business class rundown:

Airbus product - roughly all the same. OK seat but a bit small and all 2-2-2 pairs, angled lie flat. I find it acceptably comfortable and really the major drawbacks are dismal IFE and no aisle access.
Boeing 777 with new business class, which is basically the entire fleet at this point - reverse herringbone, 1-2-1. I think they use a similar seat to the Delta A330s but it's quite a bit nicer appointed. MUCH better than Airbus product or DL/KLM. This will be introduced on Airbus product beginning end of 2017, supposedly.

i fly airplanes posted:

I avoid AF pretty hard.

I really like AF. for the most part. The service is just French,, you have to ask for what you want. Also try not booking Economy (I do avoid AF economy as well if possible).

2K and 2M have good lounges.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
American Airlines had a confrontation between a flight attendnt and a mother with a child over her stroller lol

Same lawyer from United rep ping her

I'm flying AA this week niceeeee

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

American Airlines had a confrontation between a flight attendnt and a mother with a child over her stroller lol

Same lawyer from United rep ping her

I'm flying AA this week niceeeee

:rip:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Aren't strollers considered over size luggage or special luggage and check in for free ? But when you land they appear right outside the door.

Why was the women crying over a stroller

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Aren't strollers considered over size luggage or special luggage and check in for free ? But when you land they appear right outside the door.

Because traveling with children is a stressful ordeal and people aren't emotionless robots.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

caberham posted:

The news article I read said he allegedly almost hit the child and hit woman with the stroller while attempting to take it away from her to store it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Also didn't she get hit in the face with it?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Because traveling with children is a stressful ordeal and people aren't emotionless robots.

More like she's a loving idiot in the first place, not that she deserves to get whacked or almost whacked on the head. Has she never been on the plane before she had kids? You see other people checking in strollers and the those departure videos do talk about strollers.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Her lawyer came out and said that nobody hit her. I feel like he has the most to gain by saying so, I'm going to go with that.

Rumor is that she threw a stink on a previous flight as well--refused to gate check her stroller, ripped off tags, argued with FA. Apparently right before this, the FA was in a tug of war with the stroller with the lady. Lady sounds unpleasant, but obviously FA looks real bad too.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Flying with kids is stressful, so why not alleviate some of that stress and check the stroller at the gate? It'll be waiting there at the gate for you when you get off and it's one less thing to limbo out of a plane with your kid in tow. :iiam:

I got a travel stroller that breaks down enough to fit in an international overhead bin, but I've had gate agents tell me I should check it at the gate. I do as they recommend and not worry about the stroller till I get off the plane.

Also random dude that was sitting in first class trying to get in the FA's face is an idiot and should have been ejected from the flight.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mandalay posted:

Her lawyer came out and said that nobody hit her. I feel like he has the most to gain by saying so, I'm going to go with that.

Rumor is that she threw a stink on a previous flight as well--refused to gate check her stroller, ripped off tags, argued with FA. Apparently right before this, the FA was in a tug of war with the stroller with the lady. Lady sounds unpleasant, but obviously FA looks real bad too.

Everyone on a plane is a shitlord. In other news, water is wet and sky is blue.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I have a solution. Ban children from commercial airlines.

Problem solved.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
What are your best tips for sleeping on planes? I've only been able to fall asleep flying a few times, and every time I've had a row to myself.

I don't need to travel much now, but my travel is going to go up significantly in the next few years. I would love to be one of those people who sits down, passes out, and wakes up when the plane lands.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I have a solution. Ban children from commercial airlines.

Problem solved.

Ban commercial airlines.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Omerta posted:

What are your best tips for sleeping on planes? I've only been able to fall asleep flying a few times, and every time I've had a row to myself.

I don't need to travel much now, but my travel is going to go up significantly in the next few years. I would love to be one of those people who sits down, passes out, and wakes up when the plane lands.

The only thing I've ever found to work with any reliability is to be super tired and/or somehow inebriated/pilled up. Stick my earbuds in, try and find a comfortable position and hope for the best.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Custom molded earplugs changed my life. Super comfortable and reducing noise.

That and an eye mask.

And fly private so flights are optimally scheduled for normal sleep :v:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Are those neck pillows worth it?I'm one of those people who can close their eyes and sleep at any time anywhere, but I have a 9 hr overnight flight to Germany coming up so I'm thinking about grabbing one.

E: pro tip: download a 9 hr recording of white noise whether digital, fans, rain whatever and it's real nice

E2. Still considering the pot brownie gambit

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

Custom molded earplugs changed my life. Super comfortable and reducing noise.

Where'd you get your earplugs made?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Are those neck pillows worth it?I'm one of those people who can close their eyes and sleep at any time anywhere, but I have a 9 hr overnight flight to Germany coming up so I'm thinking about grabbing one.

E: pro tip: download a 9 hr recording of white noise whether digital, fans, rain whatever and it's real nice

E2. Still considering the pot brownie gambit

I don't think the regular U-shaped ones are. I've started using the trtl pillow and I've found it to be really comfortable.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

If you don't want to spring for custom molded earplugs, get a pack of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABWGISY/ . They fit on most in-ear earbuds (the kind with the rubber inserts - you pull off the rubber and replace it with these) and work like foam earplugs. They're great on flights and you can listen to music or watch movies without having to crank the volume to cover the background noise. Also works well for mowing the grass.

As for sleeping on planes, I just can't do it. The first time I had an entire row to myself I was amazed that I still couldn't get comfortable. At 6'2" you can't really lay across the seats comfortably. I can usually sleep for about 20 minutes and then I'm done.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Erwin posted:

If you don't want to spring for custom molded earplugs, get a pack of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABWGISY/ . They fit on most in-ear earbuds (the kind with the rubber inserts - you pull off the rubber and replace it with these) and work like foam earplugs. They're great on flights and you can listen to music or watch movies without having to crank the volume to cover the background noise. Also works well for mowing the grass.

Thanks for the foam earbud recommendation. I just bought a new set of earbuds that came with Comply foam earbuds in addition to the rubber selection, so I'll give those a shot before I go down the custom route.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Noise-cancelling headphones was what did the trick for me. Still dependent on not having a kid behind you kicking your seat or sitting next to someone who doesn't understand personal space/just sitting the gently caress still for five seconds.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 25, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

devoir posted:

Where'd you get your earplugs made?

It was part of a charity organization within my industry. But I got the molds professionally made, I didn't use a home kit.

Mine are ACS customs with 2 different db filters. Etymotic is another brand that people seem to like.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I just put on my white noise with my normal headphones and close my eyes and I'm out. I guess I'm lucky. Thank god for learning to sleep in the loud rear end house I grew up in or outside in the midday sun between doubleheaders and two a days lmao.

I am going to check out that turtle pillow though. We are planning to sleep overnight on the flight to germany because we land approx 11AM local time and would like to go do stuff immediately.

Not sure how realistic that it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Rex-Goliath posted:

Noise-cancelling headphones was what did the trick for me. Still dependent on not having a kid behind you kicking your seat or sitting next to someone who doesn't understand personal space/just sitting the gently caress still for five seconds.

I sleep better with Noise-cancelling earbuds. Still Bose, still pricey, but doesn't have huge cans in the way.

Also, I'm a side sleeper, which is annoying when upright, but window seat helps.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Omerta posted:

What are your best tips for sleeping on planes?

Drugs and alcohol.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
be tired, drink a little but not too much. melatonin

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I got a handwritten note from Delta thanking me for reaching Platinum today. I'd like to imagine someone saw my itinerary and felt bad for me.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Had a 6 hour layover at HKG and got to use The Pier first class lounge for the first time. Probably the best lounge I've been to anywhere in the world. Was certainly 100 times better than the AA first class lounge at JFK.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How do you guys catch up on the forums while in the air? Is there a good way to download for offline reading in the Awful app?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Mandalay posted:

How do you guys catch up on the forums while in the air? Is there a good way to download for offline reading in the Awful app?

My assistant prints it out and scans it in as PDF then emails it to my blackberry.

Pcjr, dictated but not read.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mandalay posted:

No, there were thoughts of adding a capability for that but Lowtax really doesn't like automated forum scraping.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Work thought it would be funny to route me through YYZ on my way back home from Europe and it turned into an overnight at YYZ because both the APU and some sort of important computer managed to break while we were at the airport. Does anybody have any experience requesting EU flight compensation from Air Canada? Do I actually have to print out a form and mail it to Montreal or is there any easier way that doesn't involve paying a 25-30% commission?

(Trip report: the Radisson Toronto Airport is a pretty nice place to stay if you clear customs at 9 PM and you need to be back at the airport by 6:30 AM the next morning.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arzakon posted:

I got a handwritten note from Delta thanking me for reaching Platinum today. I'd like to imagine someone saw my itinerary and felt bad for me.

I seriously have no problem believing this is exactly what happened.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

lavaca posted:

Work thought it would be funny to route me through YYZ on my way back home from Europe and it turned into an overnight at YYZ because both the APU and some sort of important computer managed to break while we were at the airport. Does anybody have any experience requesting EU flight compensation from Air Canada? Do I actually have to print out a form and mail it to Montreal or is there any easier way that doesn't involve paying a 25-30% commission?

I did my claim over e-mail to Delta which they rejected then paid euclaim and got a magical payout a year later after I forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
United's CEO got called to appear in front of a congressional committee and admitted fault, apologized. This pretty much completed what I had imagined what would happen in an earlier post, along with 'they threatened to handcuff me to my seat' guy and stroller lady. Now Dao has open season on them after this appearance.