Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I have never held onto a receipt for a book for over a month and am not alone in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Vitamin P posted:

I have never held onto a receipt for a book for over a month and am not alone in this.

definitely in that same boat for physical purchases

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey man I"m as upset as you are

Just to be clear I've never played warhammer 40k and the only 40k minis I own, I purchased more than 20 years ago.

spectralent posted:

What, "aztec lizardmen" is a stale pop culture cliche?

Dark elves aren't unique, the fact that the dark elves have a bunch of transparent allegory to the fact they're a north-america slave-owning society is. It's another time the blend of random stuff is somewhat unique.

And warhammer 40k heavily rips off 200AD, Judge Dredd, and then later Aliens, Terminator, and then much later, anime. GW's worldbuilding for 40k has probably had a lot more total time money and effort put into it than the old fantasy world, at least in recent years, but it's not exactly a bold and original new setting invented wholecloth from nothing.

Vitamin P posted:

I'm charitably assuming even GW would let you swipe your card or whatever and look in their own records to determine that you bought something from them within the last eight weeks, but maybe that's too much? After all it's not a refund, just a store credit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It is amazing how a company giving people a warning of upcoming product obsolescence and offering refunds for recent purchases is bad and wrong and miserly for doing so.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
GW could give out a free cure for cancer with every box of Space Marines and you brainwrong weirdos would moan about Space Marine bias.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It is amazing how a company giving people a warning of upcoming product obsolescence and offering refunds for recent purchases is bad and wrong and miserly for doing so.

It is amazing how a company obsoleting products they just released get a total pass from people just because they offered store credit, not a refund good for no more than eight weeks after purchase.

Seriously these people are kicking you in the balls and then muttering "oh sorry" and you think it's a kiss on the lips.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of you being wrong.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

GW could give out a free cure for cancer with every box of Space Marines and you brainwrong weirdos would moan about Space Marine bias.

Bias is still bias when it is rightfully called out. :colbert:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think it is cool and good that GW is giving even as much as store credit for books that will be invalidated.

I think it's lovely that they knew months and months ago that those books would be invalidated and didn't properly communicate with their customers that this would be happening in the first place.

Our ability to recognize a pattern and make an informed prediction and not to buy into GW at the moment does not forgive GW for being unwilling to discuss the future of their product with their customers.

I imagine all of you people saying how you like GW just for the fluff and some throwaway rules to play with that fluff would have happily purchased the Gathering Storm books even if GW had said, "These will be the last major release for this edition of 40k and nothing you buy will be compatible with the next edition." And then GW wouldn't have had to offer refunds or credit of any sort. Then everyone could say, "At least they were upfront and honest about what this release was and we knew what we were getting into." But instead it was mostly us going, "Remember when they released AoS and blew up fantasy? I bet something similar is coming. I bet they don't get rid of the 40k universe, but I wouldn't buy anything right now just to be safe."

What they're doing is at least tacit admission that it was a lovely business practice, but since this is New Games Workshop TM, they'll pretend to be showing improvement by offering store credit to the % of their customers who follow them on social media and the % of those customers who have proof of purchase within the last 8 weeks. I'm sure that's not no one, but I'm guessing it's only a small percentage of the actual sales they've had in that time.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

it makes for funnier arguments

e: also that buy one get one free image doesn't link anywhere just btw

hold the fuckin phone, are you telling me the jpg i uploaded to imgur after a gis of "fake pepsi coupon" wouldnt actually hotlink to a free and real pepsi? :monocle:

btw im real buttmad bout 8th, seeing how a couple months ago i bought the 40k rulebook for 4th edition off ebay :ssh:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

hold the fuckin phone, are you telling me the jpg i uploaded to imgur after a gis of "fake pepsi coupon" wouldnt actually hotlink to a free and real pepsi? :monocle:

btw im real buttmad bout 8th, seeing how a couple months ago i bought the 40k rulebook for 4th edition off ebay :ssh:

I know man I was told that this was not a thread for jokes where is my free Pepsi sir

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

spectralent posted:

What, "aztec lizardmen" is a stale pop culture cliche?

Dark elves aren't unique, the fact that the dark elves have a bunch of transparent allegory to the fact they're a north-america slave-owning society is. It's another time the blend of random stuff is somewhat unique.

Aztec Lizardmen and Slave Owning Elves, and all the other instances of GW lifting historical settings into their fantasy races and lore, are just as derivative and uncopyrightable as stale pop culture cliches.

I'm not saying that GW didn't take these starting points and try to do something original with them. Do say so would be, oh, willfully obtuse?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just basecoated like 4 marine tanks and holy poo poo this is going to suck.i bought them in like 2010 and hadn't touched them in years.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Guys, there's a whole lot of mad posting going on in here. Everyone take a deep breath and post something nice! I'll start:

Games Workshop produces games that I have fun playing, and I am appreciative of that :)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

TheChirurgeon posted:

holy poo poo those fuckers probably planned on doing an 8th edition back before they released 7th edition

I think that is a little unfair. It's been known their publishing is set quite a bit in advance so the only reason to have new releases that will be invalidate a couple months before a new edition is because they chose to. Even DnD waited like a year after they stopped publishing stuff for 4th before putting out 5th

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

dmnz posted:

Aztec Lizardmen and Slave Owning Elves, and all the other instances of GW lifting historical settings into their fantasy races and lore, are just as derivative and uncopyrightable as stale pop culture cliches.

I'm not saying that GW didn't take these starting points and try to do something original with them. Do say so would be, oh, willfully obtuse?

Aztec Lizardmen is reasonably unique. Unless you're going to say "it's derivative of aztecs and the concept of lizardmen", in which case, yeah. If this is going to lead to stuff like "The Empire's not unique because the HRE existed as well" we're going to rapidly hit the point where all fiction is in some way derived from human experience, and thus stale, overplayed trash. And we're certainly going to have to bump 40k off the list, because pop culture's spent like two decades jacking off to the concept of space marines, and catholics are real.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also lol at believing that offering a refund is "the bare minimum they could do"
It absolutely is. Good war game companies don't charge for their rules at all.

dmnz posted:

Fantasy was a stale retread of fantasy cliches and real world cultures. 40k was a stale retread of various 80s sci fi comics and books. Like I know 40k fans don't notice this because they have difficulty reading but it doesn't make it less true.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The difference is that fantasy cliches are loving boring but 80s comics are loving rad

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Hixson posted:

Guys, there's a whole lot of mad posting going on in here. Everyone take a deep breath and post something nice! I'll start:

Games Workshop produces games that I have fun playing, and I am appreciative of that :)

i hope no one is actually mad. this is more of a fencing match, everyone waiting for an opening so they can drop a sick burn on someone they disagree with. its all bout that endorphin rush man

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The reason I stopped playing GW games is because I was sick of being mad about plastic dolls.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

The reason I never stopped posting about GW games is because I love being mad about plastic dolls.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As far as hobbies go it's, what, tenbux?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
"This is fine" I tell myself to quell the butterflies. We've done this 7 times before, and every time we're just as excited as the last. This time will be different though; this is the big cleanse. We've really changed this time, there's nothing that could go wrong.

The butterflies continue to stir, even though I know the drill. I open my mouth, and marvel at how this time he's removed the glass from this coffee table. The poo poo lands right in my mouth and I am overcome with rapture. GW is good. Hail Satan.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sir Teabag posted:

"This is fine" I tell myself to quell the butterflies. We've done this 7 times before, and every time we're just as excited as the last. This time will be different though; this is the big cleanse. We've really changed this time, there's nothing that could go wrong.

The butterflies continue to stir, even though I know the drill. I open my mouth, and marvel at how this time he's removed the glass from this coffee table. The poo poo lands right in my mouth and I am overcome with rapture. GW is good. Hail Satan.

He who fights with shitposters should be careful lest he thereby become a shitposter.

And if thou gaze long into the deaththread, the deaththread will also gaze into thee.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
For what its worth never argue with a GW booster. Until they hit a Serious Gaylord moment nothing sinks in. I want gw to be good, I miss old 4thed marine an chaos marine codex times. I miss dumb rear end doom rider an 4thed tyranids.

Their track record for say 3 years has been abyssmal. They can reboot 40k sure, I'm just of the opinion they will get 65% right on release an gently caress it up from there. AoS was bad and, to me, still bad with bad lore an bad rules.
Points or no points its bad.

That is why any small positive step is still bare minimum to many an that should be understandable to anyone unless you are intentionally being obtuse. Now had they say offered refund/credit for models bought in thst period I'd say cool because who knows what is worth what upon the 8th release but that won't happen.

Any non gw minitures/games company hypes new editions months in advance. Not gw they hide till a week and until recent would pretend the internet was not real. That's still a poo poo behavior that should not be forgotten. Being better but not good is not worthy of undue praise.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

For_Great_Justice posted:

For what its worth never argue with a GW booster. Until they hit a Serious Gaylord moment nothing sinks in. I want gw to be good, I miss old 4thed marine an chaos marine codex times. I miss dumb rear end doom rider an 4thed tyranids.

Their track record for say 3 years has been abyssmal. They can reboot 40k sure, I'm just of the opinion they will get 65% right on release an gently caress it up from there. AoS was bad and, to me, still bad with bad lore an bad rules.

That is why any small positive step is still bare minimum to many an that should be understandable to anyone unless you are intentionally being obtuse. Now had they say offered refund/credit for models bought in thst period I'd say cool because who knows what is worth what upon the 8th release but that won't happen.

Any non gw minitures/games company hypes new editions months in advance. Not gw they hide till a week and until recent would pretend the internet was not real. That's still a poo poo behavior that should not be forgotten. Being better but not good is not worthy of undue praise.

Counterpoint: Naw.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
There is so much wrong here that I'm going to do one of those big gay effort posts with tiny quotes taken out of context.

For what its worth never argue with a GW booster. Until they hit a Serious Gaylord moment nothing sinks in.

Mhm mhm attacking the people rather than the arguement mhm yes mhm.

quote:

I want gw to be good, I miss old 4thed marine an chaos marine codex times. I miss dumb rear end doom rider an 4thed tyranids.

The 4thed marine codex where everyone bitched about rhino rushes? The chaos marine codex that everyone bitched forever was inferior to the first 3rd ed chaos codex release?

quote:

Their track record for say 3 years has been abyssmal.

What with the lack of price hikes, community outreach, friendlier attitudes to local gaming stores, replacing Kirby, free online painting tutorials, getting the community heavily involved with the AoS generals handbook, tongue-in-cheek responses to leaks, pulling the stick out of their rear end, I could go on.

quote:

They can reboot 40k sure, I'm just of the opinion they will get 65% right on release an gently caress it up from there. AoS was bad and, to me, still bad with bad lore an bad rules.

Can't argue with the lore being bad.

quote:

Wow. They should offer cash refunds for the models they've sold? Has any company done this in the history of forever? Has Dungeons and Dragons offered complete refunds on all their books sold in the past edition when they roll out a new one? Has Magic the Gathering offered refunds on old outdated cards? Has Blizzard offered a full refund on a warcraft expansion that came out prior to the latest one? Hay, since we've released the 2017 model of a car, come down to our car lot and we'll buy back that 2016 model at full cost!

quote:

Oh good, I look forward to the release of 8th edition in a week. Wait, forums poster For_Great_Justice is wrong again?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

I'm the minitures.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

You're right it is a big gay effort post.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think if you want to make GW look remotely cool or good, you might need something stronger than "Starting to edge up towards maybe not being too much greedier and shittier than D&D or MTG" because let's face it, those examples also look insane to anyone who isn't already a hooked whale.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

You're right it is a big gay effort post.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Please don't this is embarrassing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

don't listen to him, keep going

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks for regurgitating the exact same missing-the-point arguments we've already taken apart, Hamshot. Including the stupid car analogy.

GW sold books for an edition they then invalidated less than two months later, and are offering store credit - not refunds - to customers who bought that specific thing within the last 8 weeks (and presumably can prove it).

Magic announces a year or more in advance its plans for obsoleting cards, and every edition of D&D - backwards compatible or not - has been announced with details months or years in advance. Customers can make informed decisions about whether to buy products for a game system they know is going to become obsolete.

But Warhammer 40k releases normally do not obsolete every supplement for the prior release, immediately. The reasonable expectation is that company selling you a book for the game is not withholding the information that the book they're selling you will be obsolete in two months, or hell, six months. And since we know GW's preproduction process is at least a year long, and their books had to have been in final proofing state months ago, they really have had this information under wraps for months.

They withhold the information so they can sell more products they know will be made obsolete.

It's cool they're offering store credit to a limited subset of those customers. But it's still a very lovely way to roll out a new product that obsoletes old product, and the actual thing a good company would do - the thing all their competitors do - is tell their customers well in advance what to expect with upcoming releases, and/or make their rules actually free so nobody gets ripped off when they jump into a game two months before its rules get wiped clean.

This is not some screeching unreasonable position to take. It is not the GW death thread just being a circle jerk.

And for the dozenth time, since this just cannot seem to sink in:

Hamshot posted:

Wow. They should offer cash refunds for the models they've sold?

GW is not offering cash refunds for anything. They're offering store credit for the most recently sold book, if you bought it within the last 8 weeks. A book with rules in it that will have had a practical useable lifetime of maybe three or four moths, tops, and that's if you bought it on release day. There has never been a comparable release from Wizards for any edition of D&D, or for any edition of Magic. In fact I can't think of a single other instance of any other game company ever releasing a product that they made obsolete with a rules-wiping new release less than four months later without announcing to customers buying that product at the time of purchase that it would become obsolete in such a short period.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I open myself to more big gay posts. I will always be wary of Gw for Fine cast and until they offer an apology written with the dried blood of Kirby I always will. Please defend Fine Cast I beg of you.

Also doing something that no other company in the history of ever is often what sets them apart be it positive or negative. United beats passengers so them taking steps to not do this is a far cry from Gw but you get the point. Which is to try something. As people have said 42 days between book release an when they will be just pretty pictures. I don't buy them or art I buy them for rules but that is like me man namaste.

I will correct myself in the time period of Gw being pure horror not so much recently but maybe a few years more. I stopped with 40k between 5th an 6th an recently got back in a few months ago, around three. That is the period I consider them to be garbage this include MASSIVE price hikes, I recall when land Raiders were 42 bucks a pop an that was still pricey. This also includes AoS. This period also includes creations of Grey Knights, the period a little after the Daemons codex broke Fantasy over its knee, crippled every Godzilla style Tyranid army an started is push for hey just buy the new models every codex pattern. That is not opinion its what they did. New codex? Buy new stuff.

I'll stand by I liked 4th ed Marine an CSM codexes but rose tinted glasses may make me bias. I liked that you could make a very custom chapter by giving up say fast slots for Heavies, an CSM felt more custom to what you wanted. Iron Warriors could take basilisks, an gently caress me if watching a lord or even a loving D prince roll on drugs, get a treble an loving overdose at the start of the game was funny an fun. You shoot up, you take the risks. Not. Even. Once. It took between that codex an Traitor legions to get drugs back an decent sonic weaponry because I am of the opinion a army of heavy metal shooting drugged up super soldiers killing with the power of rock is cool and good. Its The army of 80's Metal.

Those could have been late 3rd codex but I recall starting with Tyranids when Godzilla armies were a thing for Tyranids. Time flies when I hate myself.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Wow, speaking of taking tiny quotes out of context, here we have Leperflesh immediately doing it unironically. I never said GW is offering cash refunds, For_Great_Justice said they should. For models. Rich for someone talking about missing the point. Your last claim could also do with some examples to back it up.

e: Now we have people in the death thread comparing GW to United Airlines physically assaulting passengers. I wait in rapt anticipation for Godwins Law to come true.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 25, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

I open myself to more big gay posts. I will always be wary of Gw for Fine cast and until they offer an apology written with the dried blood of Kirby I always will. Please defend Fine Cast I beg of you.

Also doing something that no other company in the history of ever is often what sets them apart be it positive or negative. United beats passengers so them taking steps to not do this is a far cry from Gw but you get the point. Which is to try something. As people have said 42 days between book release an when they will be just pretty pictures. I don't buy them or art I buy them for rules but that is like me man namaste.

I will correct myself in the time period of Gw being pure horror not so much recently but maybe a few years more. I stopped with 40k between 5th an 6th an recently got back in a few months ago, around three. That is the period I consider them to be garbage this include MASSIVE price hikes, I recall when land Raiders were 42 bucks a pop an that was still pricey. This also includes AoS. This period also includes creations of Grey Knights, the period a little after the Daemons codex broke Fantasy over its knee, crippled every Godzilla style Tyranid army an started is push for hey just buy the new models every codex pattern. That is not opinion its what they did. New codex? Buy new stuff.

I'll stand by I liked 4th ed Marine an CSM codexes but rose tinted glasses may make me bias. I liked that you could make a very custom chapter by giving up say fast slots for Heavies, an CSM felt more custom to what you wanted. Iron Warriors could take basilisks, an gently caress me if watching a lord or even a loving D prince roll on drugs, get a treble an loving overdose at the start of the game was funny an fun. You shoot up, you take the risks. Not. Even. Once. It took between that codex an Traitor legions to get drugs back an decent sonic weaponry because I am of the opinion a army of heavy metal shooting drugged up super soldiers killing with the power of rock is cool and good. Its The army of 80's Metal.

Those could have been late 3rd codex but I recall starting with Tyranids when Godzilla armies were a thing for Tyranids. Time flies when I hate myself.

Quoting this because I too believe new editions for a nerd game is morally equivalent to dragging someone from an airplane and beating them. Strong posting! Almost as good as leperflesh.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Remember what I said about being obtuse.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For example Wizards sets the release schedule for their magic the gathering cards a year or more in advance. Everyone knows at the time they're buying cards exactly when they'll stop being legal for the standard format.

For example D&D 4th edition was announced more than a year before it came out. Everyone buying 3.5 stuff knew way in advance that it would be made obsolete in a year.

I can't give you an example of another company invalidating a product they charged money for within two months of first putting it up for sale, because that's the point, I can't think of one.

Now had they say offered refund/credit for models bought in thst period I'd say cool because who knows what is worth what upon the 8th release but that won't happen.

Hamshot posted:

Wow. They should offer cash refunds for the models they've sold? Has any company done this in the history of forever? Has Dungeons and Dragons offered complete refunds on all their books sold in the past edition when they roll out a new one? Has Magic the Gathering offered refunds on old outdated cards? Has Blizzard offered a full refund on a warcraft expansion that came out prior to the latest one? Hay, since we've released the 2017 model of a car, come down to our car lot and we'll buy back that 2016 model at full cost!

He said he'd think that was cool of them. Not that he expected it or that it would be typical of other companies. But importantly, none of the examples you gave are of a company invalidating a product without prior warning two months after releasing it. Especially the car thing, a new 2017 model does not invalidate the 2016 model or make it less useful or less derivable in any way, it's a terrible comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

morally equivalent to dragging someone from an airplane and beating them

so them taking steps to not do this is a far cry from Gw

• Locked thread