Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
living on the west coast is great now because I can get to bed early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Jordan7hm posted:

So what you're saying is they're not that great against anyone.

Yes, this is how I remember it. 10,000 screaming Rangers fans in our building for every game, too. "LET'S GO RAN-JISS" still haunts my dreams. Druce got loose on them in 90 and Beaupre stood on his head in 91 but then 94 happened. Beaupre rocked like an .830 or something that series. I broke up with my girlfriend and kicked in my own fender over the 94 series. The Rangers were definitely the class of the league that year but for some reason I thought we had their number.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

"My...name...is....Neo!"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mike ribeiro basically raped a child and all r-lam and the rest of the media did was laugh at the coyotes and write articles about how he deserved a second chance

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Pens winning would be very cool (to me, a Pitt fan) and mayyybe would create a trading market for MAF if he started through the SCF (lol). Quite unlikely considering their injuries, and I suspect the Caps struggles versus the Leafs have been mostly ironed out and/or were due to "looking ahead" to this 2nd round.

Caps winning would be very cool, they're a fun team and a division rival for which I have strong respect. Trotz, OV, Holtby, etc are undeserving of the playoff narrative that gets bandied about.

Preds winning would be awesome for their fanbase, PK, Rinne, and their other long-time vets. Really sucks that they employ Ribs and Z though.

Blues winning would be awesome considering their history, and amusing considering Hitchcock's dismissal and the Shattenkirk trade.

Sens or Oilers winning would be a neat underdog story, but their owners are quite loathsome and the Canadian media would be insufferable. Would be happy for Karlsson, Anderson, some Oilers, and the fanbases though.

Rangers would be tolerable solely for Lundqvist, Nash, and a few others getting to raise the Cup.

gently caress Corey Perry. gently caress the Ducks. gently caress Bettman.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fleury could win the goddamn Conn Smythe and there still won't be a trading market for him

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

hifi posted:

Mike ribeiro basically raped a child and all r-lam and the rest of the media did was laugh at the coyotes and write articles about how he deserved a second chance

Wait what.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A Brief history of Capitals playoff exits

86 - Lost to Rangers
91 - Lost to Penguins
92 - Lost to Penguins
94 - Lost to Rangers
95 - Lost to Penguins
96 - Lost to Penguins
00 - Lost to Penguins
01 - Lost to Penguins
09 - Lost to Penguins
12 - Lost to Rangers
13 - Lost to Rangers
15 - Lost to Rangers
16 - Lost to Penguins
17 - ???

You forgot when they lost to the Canadiens I think in 2010 or something, the year they first won the presidents cup and got over 120 points.

Anyway, I'll be out of town for much of this next series against the Penguins. So you all won't have to put up with my posting during it for the most part. Hope these CAPS can finally get over this hump.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 24, 2017

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

kalensc posted:

Pens winning would be very cool (to me, a Pitt fan) and mayyybe would create a trading market for MAF if he started through the SCF (lol). Quite unlikely considering their injuries, and I suspect the Caps struggles versus the Leafs have been mostly ironed out and/or were due to "looking ahead" to this 2nd round.

Overall, I agree with your assessment, except... I'm not so sure about the Caps' struggles being ironed out. Pretty amazing that they were all decided by 1-goal games, and all but one were decided in OT. I only got to see the end of most of their games, but it didn't seem like WSH started off the series slow and then hit their stride after a couple games. Seemed more like they were generally playing pretty well but unable to shut down the Leafs as much as everyone expected.

As a Pens fan, I'm still not super optimistic about the series given our injuries, but I feel a lot better about the match up than I did before the TOR series, even with WSH winning in 6.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kawalimus posted:

You forgot when they lost to the Canadiens I think in 2010 or something, the year they first won the presidents cup and got over 120 points.

Anyway, I'll be out of town for much of this next series against the Penguins. So you all won't have to put up with my posting during it for the most part. Hope these CAPS can finally get over this hump.

Going birding out of town?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Cartoon Man posted:

Should've got a penalty for taking a dive.

Ovi should have got a penalty for holding

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

hagelin is apparently skating again, though not yet with the team. please god let him recover in time for at least some part of the semis

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah, but the Habs are not the Penguins or Rangers. The Caps as a franchise only exist to get eliminated by those two franchises

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Overall, I agree with your assessment, except... I'm not so sure about the Caps' struggles being ironed out. Pretty amazing that they were all decided by 1-goal games, and all but one were decided in OT. I only got to see the end of most of their games, but it didn't seem like WSH started off the series slow and then hit their stride after a couple games. Seemed more like they were generally playing pretty well but unable to shut down the Leafs as much as everyone expected.

As a Pens fan, I'm still not super optimistic about the series given our injuries, but I feel a lot better about the match up than I did before the TOR series, even with WSH winning in 6.

The Caps did a pretty good job shutting down the Leafs offense. The Leafs were picking off goals on fast breaks, turnovers and shots from the point through traffic. All perfectly fine ways to score goals, but heavily dependent on luck. The Caps had all but certain odds of beating out that luck over 7 games, but they weren't scoring as well as they should have been given how depleted the Leafs' D was, hence all those one-goal games.

The Pens are also limping a bit on D, but obviously their offense is more dangerous. The Caps are going to need more of those 5 goal games if they want to have any hope of winning. Kuznetsov and Burakovsky in particular really need to step up.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

My main hope is that any team west of the Mississippi gets eliminated because gently caress game starts after 8pm central.

Multiple overtime games that go well past midnight are the best part of the playoffs, you're crazy

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Red Red Blue posted:

Multiple overtime games that go well past midnight are the best part of the playoffs, you're crazy

I fondly remember staying up on the East coast to watch a loving Sharks-Oilers triple OT game in 2006 that secured my place on their bandwagon for that year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't help that some of the best games were out west the past several years. Like that LAK SJS series from a few years ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love OT too, but I am a old fart now and need my sleep. If you wanna play three games worth of hockey in a single day, you should drop the puck at 7pm.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

xzzy posted:

I love OT too, but I am a old fart now and need my sleep. If you wanna play three games worth of hockey in a single day, you should drop the puck at 7pm.

Nothing says you have to stay up, OLD MAN.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy posted:

But they do!!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Those Kings/Rangers OT games were brutal when I lived on the east coast, especially since the Rangers lost them :argh:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Game 6 against Calgary in 2004 was absolutely brutal and the following day of school was probably the worst day of my life, I should've just cut class and stayed in bed

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 25, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That year when Dallas and Vancouver went to 4OT I was at university in Ottawa and I had an exam the next day and yeah I stayed up until 3am and watched the whole drat thing then got up two hours later but I don't think I could physically still do that ten years later.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I watched every second live of the 5OT Flyers/Pens game in 2000. Ended around 2:30am. I was 16 at the time, so the lack of sleep wasn't as big of a deal going to school that morning. Plus everyone else was tired too, so it worked out.

That summer I went to a hockey camp in Ontario, and Ron Tugnutt, the Pens goalie in that series was one of the guests. We had a Q&A with him, and I asked a question that to this day, I still kinda cringe at. With a stupid grin on my face and my Flyers hat on my head, I asked him:

"What was it like to play five overtimes and lose?"

There were laughs, groans, and an "ooooooooh" from one of the camp directors. He laughed it off, or at least did a good job doing so, then went on to discuss playing in that game and whatnot. He autographed a Blue Jackets pennant for me, as they just joined the league and he was I believe was their first goalie. He thought the pennant was cool.

So yeah, Ron Tugnutt is a good dude.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

shyduck posted:

I watched every second live of the 5OT Flyers/Pens game in 2000. Ended around 2:30am. I was 16 at the time, so the lack of sleep wasn't as big of a deal going to school that morning. Plus everyone else was tired too, so it worked out.

That summer I went to a hockey camp in Ontario, and Ron Tugnutt, the Pens goalie in that series was one of the guests. We had a Q&A with him, and I asked a question that to this day, I still kinda cringe at. With a stupid grin on my face and my Flyers hat on my head, I asked him:

There were laughs, groans, and an "ooooooooh" from one of the camp directors. He laughed it off, or at least did a good job doing so, then went on to discuss playing in that game and whatnot. He autographed a Blue Jackets pennant for me, as they just joined the league and he was I believe was their first goalie. He thought the pennant was cool.

Underrated goalie too, IMO.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I remember sneaking out of bed to come downstairs and watch the 3OT game between the canucks and flames in 2004 and waking up all normal the next morning. now I start getting tired during the first intermission of a game and overtime is usually the signal for me to go to sleep. getting old stinks, especially in the context of hockey.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

Loved the Tug

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

I remember sneaking out of bed to come downstairs and watch the 3OT game between the canucks and flames in 2004 and waking up all normal the next morning. now I start getting tired during the first intermission of a game and overtime is usually the signal for me to go to sleep. getting old stinks, especially in the context of hockey.

I fell asleep during the 2nd period for games 4-5-6 of NYR-MTL :negative:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

shyduck posted:

Same, what a great game despite the result.

Between Lalime, Tugnutt, and Hedberg the Pens had some interesting runs with journeyman / flash-in-the-pan netminders.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I remember the 3OT Canucks/Flames game in 2004 and being sleepy the next day, but what I remember more is getting hammered after game 7 in Whistler and then showing up to work at CBC radio the next morning still buzzed and wearing a Flames jersey and my host telling me i was being "disrespectful" and it was the proudest moment of my life as a hockey fan.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Caps as a franchise only exist to get eliminated by those two franchises

As a Pittsburgher living in DC, I enjoy the annual "THIS IS THE YEAR!!!!" that ends somewhere around late April or mid May.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

kalensc posted:

Same, what a great game despite the result.

Between Lalime, Tugnutt, and Hedberg the Pens had some interesting runs with journeyman / flash-in-the-pan netminders.

I skimmed your post and was like wtf you're missing the best one Damian Rhodes but then realized you were talking about the Pens not the Sens. I completely forgot about the shitshow they had in goal before they snagged MAF.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

shyduck posted:

He also tore his groin once in a selfless act of ensuring the greatest injury of all time

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

I still laugh about Furnaceface harboring hatred of the Rangers because some fans acted poorly at a game.

Youre thinking of someone else. My Rangers hatred comes from the fact that they won Mark loving Messier a Cup and not John Vanbiesbrouck. :colbert:

Also Zuccarello is one of my favourite players and I like seeing that little hobbit happy, even if his speech still hasnt come back 100% from that brain trauma. :unsmith:

PS gently caress the Rags and gently caress you go Sens.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
^^^The Oilers had already won Mark loving Messier five cups by then, save your hatred for them.^^^

Xtanstic posted:

I fondly remember staying up on the East coast to watch a loving Sharks-Oilers triple OT game in 2006 that secured my place on their bandwagon for that year.
poo poo, I remember watching that game in an Irish bar in Manhattan. We couldn't convince the bar to put the sound on, so I watched six periods of hockey listening to the Mets and then Sportscenter. By the end of the night everyone in the bar was watching the Oilers game and I may have passed out in the washroom.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 25, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I remember staying up really late to watch BRETT loving HULL CHEAT HIS WAY TO A CUP. :argh:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

iospace posted:

I remember staying up really late to watch BRETT loving HULL CHEAT HIS WAY TO A CUP. :argh:

I was pretty young back then so all I remember from that season was foot in the crease video reviews every loving second.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

iospace posted:

Yeah I remember this mostly because of my dads very loud and very angry "NO gently caress YOU HULL YOU CHEAT" that he yelled that night. I laughed for a bit, then got angry because my dad was right.

Albino Squirrel posted:

^^^The Oilers had already won Mark loving Messier five cups by then, save your hatred for them.^^^

Then it should not surprise you that I enjoyed the last 10 years of Oilers misery and was rooting for the Sharks.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I remember staying up watching the... triple overtime Stars-Sharks game that Dallas eventually won. I was a senior in high school and slept through several classes. One teacher gave me a pass. It ruled.

I also remember watching the Canucks/Stars series in 05-06 where Luongo and Turco went against each other and had an insane series. I think the first game was a long overtime and Turco had like three shutouts but still lost the series. It was amazing.

As for Caps/Pens, I hope every game is like the 8-7 one from January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Double OT loss in 2007 to the Ducks when Luongo didn't come out for OT and nobody knew what was going on. Then finding out later Lu was busily making GBS threads his guts out and Vancouver had to play Dany Sabourin to start OT.

• Locked thread