Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The problem with most of those randomly generated powers lists is there's no balance or fairness. It might be okay in a comic to have 'arms fall off boy' and 'literally invulnerable man' team up to fight crime, but you do that in a game and people are going to get upset if that's not what they signed up for.

Which was the secret of Paragons assigned powers, by the way, there were no major 'duds' on my lists and I aimed for everyone to have roughly the same amount of points in stuff. If rolling just gets you an archetypal power set at the same level as everyone else it works out okay (barring the Aquaman problem). The issue is with designers who think "owns a radio" power shouldn't be immediately followed by "and roll again".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think the idea of those really unfair powers list was to model all kinds of superheroes -- they knew in their nerd hearts that some grog was going to say YEAH WELL WHAT IF I WANT TO BE BLUE BEETLE WITH A RADIO IN MY HELMET?? I am not a comics-reader, but I know that the road to modern Marvel is paved with BMX Bandits.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Or, was "Technological" explicitly different from "Cybernetic"? That is, could the radio be undetectably mounted in your skull, with automatic decryption and other goodies to make it worthwhile?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Well Stands can be really unfair regarding powers too like a dude who can only repair stuff and punch hard against a dude who can blow up anything he touches, can throw air bubble bombs, has a heat seeking indestructible bomb and a bomb that can reverse time but the former can win in a fight.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Maid RPG continues to be my model for good random chargen. You may not have thought to give your fighter a high Wisdom score, but you definitely didn't think to have your maid be a chainsaw-wielding cyborg mermaid.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

you definitely didn't think to have your maid be a chainsaw-wielding cyborg mermaid.

Yes I did! :3:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kai Tave posted:

My favorites are the real early superhero RPGs where you'd randomly roll to determine your powers and so you could wind up with nigh-literal Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit situations. I remember one story about a guy whose only power was Radio Hearing (Technology)...aka he owned a radio.

Like this one?

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/humbug-scoolbus/villains-and-vigilantes/

I played V&V a ton until Champions came along with its sweet sweet point buy and all those lovely numbers...:swoon:

edit: I'll scan in the power charts later so you can see the lunacy.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 22, 2017

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I kind of want to do a random power table super game now

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

V&V posted:

MUTANTS
These characters spontaneously developed their super-powers with no apparent outside stimuli. Because they are not always accepted in human society, a roll of 30 or less on percentile dice indicates that they immediately lose one charisma point.

DESIGNED
This character was given his powers by a government or scientific organization and was then let loose upon the world. He still main­tains contact with his benefactors and is expected to come to their aid in crisis situations. However, he is generally allowed to handle his own affairs without supervision by his 'creators.'

SPONSORED
This character is similar to the Designed character except that he is permanently employed by his creators and they maintain a large degree of control over how he uses his powers. There is a 30% chance per month that he will be sent on a mission. If he refuses to go, the refereee must determine the consequences. He is paid $100 per week per experience level he has attained and he may not accept rewards, though he gains no charisma or experience for refusing such rewards for his actions (see 4.3.)

HOMEMADE
This character trained himself secretly and created any devices he has completely on his own. While one of the least powerful char­acters, Homemade characters command great respect if they reach the higher experience levels.

ACCIDENTAL SCIENTIFIC
Accidental Scientific characters have fewer powers than Mutants, but without the possible charisma loss faced by the mutated characters. The types of powers such characters can gain are determined by the type of accident responsible for them.

SUPERNATURAL
These characters studied magical books and forbidden lore in order to master the arts of sorcery. True supernaturals add +2 to their charisma scores due to the aura of fear which surrounds them and the dedication they have demonstrated for their art.

ACCIDENTAL SUPERNATURAL
Such characters have become involved in sorcery through no plan of their own. They have either discovered a magical item of power or have become enchanted by an unknown benefactor, etc. Accidental Supernaturals gain only a +1 charisma bonus, but are not as fanatically dedicated to 'Law' or 'Chaos' as true supernaturals.
Note that the 'chaotic' possibility exists only for non-player characters as all player-characters must abide by the 'comics code.'

CHARISMATIC INVOLVEMENT
These characters contain some sort of (as yet) unidentified characteristic which gives them an automatic and permanent charisma of 17. Their charisma factor cannot change under normal circumstances. The main bonus these characters have is the ability to attach themselves to a vigilante or group of vigilantes and they then act as a form of companion and/or mascot for the vigilantes. High level charismatically involved characters are the kind of people who are hired as secret agents or leaders of secret organizations. They may switch from group to group or from vigilante to vigilante whenever it seems useful. These characters can also train themselves while adventuring, but only up to a maximum factor of 16 in each category of basic characteristics. Like other characters, they must take time off from adventuring to raise their characteristics above sixteen.
Should a charismatically involved character ever find himself in trouble, super-powered individuals of his faction who are in the area must come to his aid. Super-powered groups with such a charismatic character will sustain a one point charisma loss should the char­ismatic character ever be killed or be permanently taken out of action.
Charismatically involved characters have a 5% chance of having one super power.

NONPOWERED ADVENTURER
Such characters do not really have super-powers, but because of the variety of heightened characteristics and skills they can obtain they are often more than a match for many super-powered beings. A player's first character (that character that is the player's self) cannot have this origin type so that players rolling an origin of this type should reroll for origin type on an eight sided die.
Should a player's original character die, he must roll for a new character and this character can be of this origin type. See section 4.7 for a fuller explanation of rolling up new characters.
Nonpowered adventurers have a 3% chance of having come from another time, dimension, or whatever at the Gamemaster's whim. If this is the case, the Gamemaster determines what, if any characteristics the player will have based on being from wherever or whenever he originated.
If the Nonpowered Adventurer is not from somewhere else, there is a 20% chance that he is already employed by the government.
This can be handled in the same fashion as is the case for Sponsored super-being characters.

EXTRATERRESTRIAL
This character came from another planet and any powers he has are natural to his race. As with Nonpowered Adventurers, a player's first character cannot be of extraterrestrial origin. If such an origin is rolled, players are to reroll with eight sided dice.
Naturally, a character can be rolled with this origin type if the original character of a player has been killed.
The Gamemaster must determine whether or not the Extraterrestrial character maintains any contact with his planet or his race of origin.

The number of powers each character has are determined by their origin types, as are the types of powers characters will obtain.
pre:
Origin Type			Number of Powers Obtained	Roll on List
Mutant					1-6 				F
Designed				1-4				A
Sponsored				1-4				A
Homemade				1-4				B
Accidental Scientific			1-3				C		
Supernatural				1-6				D
Accidental Supernatural			1-4				E
Charismatic Involvement		5% Chance of 1				F
Nonpowered Adventurer			2-5				G
Extraterrestrial			1-6				F
Roll a die to find the number of powers. Then roll for each power on the appropriate list on the following pages. 
Should the same power be rolled more than once, roll again to find the correct number of different powers.
There are 7 Tables labeled A-G.

Table A is Gadgets and Devices, B is Enhanced Training/Stat Boosts, some smaller gadgets, and sidekicks/pets, C is Innate Physical or Mental powers, D and E are Fringe powers like Astral Projection, Death Touch and the like. F is a grabbag with something from all the others, and G is like B only with no gadgets or pets.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I love how your mutant power can be "Special Vehicle." Turbo Teen, go!

Also that some of the entries are for lowered attributes, and some origins just straight up get 30-50% more powers than others, potentially.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"...each super being should have at least one power which increases his combat capabilities" so Owns A Radio Man has an immediate out. Unless he's a Charismatic Involved or Nonpowered Adventurer.

Charismatic Involved are basically just normal face-man types, and Nonpowered Adventurers always get at least 2 powers. So... yeah. In this game where someone rolled up Owns a Radio Man, did they follow the rules?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

occamsnailfile posted:

Also that some of the entries are for lowered attributes, and some origins just straight up get 30-50% more powers than others, potentially.

Yeah, and for those thinking that something like "Lowered Intelligence" might have some side benefit, no, you're just dumb. You can literally end up with animal intelligence if the dice are really bad.

Cheater note: the power you're looking to tell the GM you rolled while they were looking away is on List C: Mutation. That's the "Make up your own power and badger the GM to allow it."

However, V&V did have one of my favorite back cover blurbs:

"... bust your way in with powerful fists!" comes as close as perhaps any game has to encapsulating the simple desires of your average RPG player. Or me, anyway.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Is there any system with superheroes as a main point that's not mechanically broken and super-crunchy?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Slimnoid posted:

Is there any system with superheroes as a main point that's not mechanically broken and super-crunchy?

Nope, or we'd all be playing it!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Slimnoid posted:

Best supers rules I've seen are Marvel Heroic and a set of rules for Fudge Supers I don't have on hand at the moment.

M&M and SAS are totally playable but certainly crunchy and not that hard to break. M&M is still probably my first pick for a "simulationist" supers game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PDQ Truth & Justice. PDQ is lightweight and not at all crunchy, and I've not found T&J to be broken.

e. wait, did you mean "is not mechanically broken and is not super crunchy" or "is not mechanically broken, but is super crunchy"

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Leperflesh posted:

PDQ Truth & Justice. PDQ is lightweight and not at all crunchy, and I've not found T&J to be broken.

e. wait, did you mean "is not mechanically broken and is not super crunchy" or "is not mechanically broken, but is super crunchy"

The former. I've gotten to the point that I just don't want to deal with the hassle of a super-crunchy system.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Masks is pretty good for that sort of thing, though it's 1) a PbtA game that's 2) hyper-focused on Teen Titans-style super teams and 3) published by Magpie Games which some people take issue with*. Any one of those could be a dealbreaker for you, but if not it's a very solid game.

* I actually include myself among this number.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

There are plenty of simple superhero games, like Icons and Capes and Marvel Heroic, but most of those are so simple I don't feel much "weight" to their mechanics and there's not much for me to care about system-wise. Marvel Heroic is probably the best of the above at establishing a superhero feel but at the same time I find it kind of obtuse and a little wonky. That's just my opinion. Masks right now is probably the best mix of mechanically engaging and simple, but it's tightly focused on teen teams. There's Worlds in Peril, which I've finally started digging through, but I think it's a mix of genuinely great ideas and missing-the-point-of-PbtA, so YMMV.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Falstaff posted:

Masks is pretty good for that sort of thing, though it's 1) a PbtA game that's 2) hyper-focused on Teen Titans-style super teams and 3) published by Magpie Games which some people take issue with*. Any one of those could be a dealbreaker for you, but if not it's a very solid game.

* I actually include myself among this number.

What's the issue with Magpie Games?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Wearing the Cape just got released which is a FATE based one. I started out with V&V and Superhero:2044 and have played pretty much every superhero game that's ever been released including both editions of Superworld, Heroes Unlimited, Golden Heroes, Underground, all three versions of DC Heroes...the list goes on and on. Of all of them, I prefer Champions and Mutants and Masterminds 3e the most. Champs, because it really is a superhero wargame at its core and I am an old school wargamer, and M&M because it just works really well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SageNytell posted:

What's the issue with Magpie Games?

The head (?) of Magpie sold another employee down the river (metaphorically) to defend serial harasser Zak S on the internet.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

occamsnailfile posted:

I love how your mutant power can be "Special Vehicle." Turbo Teen, go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKvuEWBtkxM&t=14s

"power to conjure a sweet ride out of thin air" is pretty okay imo

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

The head (?) of Magpie sold another employee down the river (metaphorically) to defend serial harasser Zak S on the internet.

One of the co-founders. He used the official company news blog, otherwise dedicated to the sort of "we've launched a game", "the year in review", or "look at how these fans are engaging with our product" stuff you would expect, to call out a dude for telling Zak to go gently caress himself on G+. (I believe Zak tagged said dude and did his thing where he demands that people explain their +1s first, but that lonely callout screencap is the only thing that survived of the conversation.)

This big ol' post on the official Magpie blog buys wholeheartedly into the narrative that people hate Zak because of some eternal storygames vs. OSR feud, rather than accept that it might be because people have had the misfortune of interacting with him. It's a shame the post doesn't support anything else wholeheartedly, instead opting for a tone policing "I'm not defending zak, but let's all be nice" stance.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Emy posted:

One of the co-founders. He used the official company news blog, otherwise dedicated to the sort of "we've launched a game", "the year in review", or "look at how these fans are engaging with our product" stuff you would expect, to call out a dude for telling Zak to go gently caress himself on G+. (I believe Zak tagged said dude and did his thing where he demands that people explain their +1s first, but that lonely callout screencap is the only thing that survived of the conversation.)

This big ol' post on the official Magpie blog buys wholeheartedly into the narrative that people hate Zak because of some eternal storygames vs. OSR feud, rather than accept that it might be because people have had the misfortune of interacting with him. It's a shame the post doesn't support anything else wholeheartedly, instead opting for a tone policing "I'm not defending zak, but let's all be nice" stance.

The post can also be summarized as "'call-out culture' is toxic and bad; now please stand back and watch as I call-out a guy for 3000 words." It was pretty poo poo.

Edit: Here's where it hit the thread originally.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 25, 2017

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

From my experiences with it a few years ago, Truth & Justice is fairly tightly calibrated to recreate Spider-Man in terms of power level and interpersonal dynamics. To the degree that's what you're shooting for, T&J will either be just what you need or disappoint.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Wild Talents isn't exactly lightweight in terms of chargen, but it's certainly no Heroes/Champions, and most of the hassle is frontloaded at chargen instead of in play. For less specificity and more high drama/low comedy, Better Angels, also by Stolze, lets you play cackling supervillians with a legit in-universe reason behind grandiose, fragile, easily foiled megaplans: Your powers are granted to you by a fickle, easily bored demon, and if you don't go out there and commit dumb plans to keep the demon amused, they'll go find someone else. Someone who might be less interested in distracting the demon with tinfoil-shiny 'evil' and with fewer qualms about delivering the for-real miserable evil.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Rob Kuntz wants $24 for a 72-page book about Dave Arneson.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Halloween Jack posted:

Rob Kuntz wants $24 for a 72-page book about Dave Arneson.

I'll give him ten for a PDF.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Robert J. Kuntz, I guess? posted:

This extensively researched work reveals:

That the design dimension qualities of Arneson’s systems structure are still in their embryonic stages due to his original concept being redacted for a less robust system, and by the very company which was catapulted from a basement concern to a near 1 million dollar business almost “overnight” while at first championing it.

:raise:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In Earth language, "Dave Arneson's ideas were never fully developed, because they were dumbed-down and commercialized by the publisher. TSR sold out so they could become a company big enough to have full-time employees."

Rob Kuntz is still bitter that D&D became a product line. In his mind, only stupid, uncreative "eager dependents" would ever want to buy published adventure modules, campaign settings, and rulesets with good layout and editing. Roleplaying was better when the rules were confusing and inaccessible to people who weren't already part of a wargaming scene, and setting didn't exist beyond what was vaguely implied by the rules.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Halloween Jack posted:

In Earth language, "Dave Arneson's ideas were never fully developed, because they were dumbed-down and commercialized by the publisher. TSR sold out so they could become a company big enough to have full-time employees."

Rob Kuntz is still bitter that D&D became a product line. In his mind, only stupid, uncreative "eager dependents" would ever want to buy published adventure modules, campaign settings, and rulesets with good layout and editing. Roleplaying was better when the rules were confusing and inaccessible to people who weren't already part of a wargaming scene, and setting didn't exist beyond what was vaguely implied by the rules.
That's kinda weird considering that IIRC, TSR themselves didn't really get into modules and such until after people started demanding it and others (like Judges Guild) were already publishing them.

But really, I'd be interested in a book about Dave Arneson's original Blackmoor campaign and the ways in which D&D differed. But it sounds like I should just get around to finishing reading Playing at the World.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Chaosium is actively looking for submissions now, having just put out updated submission guidelines. Looks like they're mostly interested in CoC and nuRunequest material, but I know for a fact that they've also got a soft spot for Heroquest Glorantha stuff.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mean, you want a randomly generated supers party? Just look at the SyFy show Alphas. It's basically Wild Talents: The TV Show.

Gary - Autistic teenager who can see EM radiation, mostly uses it to watch TV or browse the web.
Cameron - Superhuman reflexes, massive performance anxiety.
Rachel - Ability to increase the strength of her senses, terrible social anxiety as a result.
Nina - The ability to push people into doing what she wants, so used to manipulating people that she has trouble interacting with people. Also her power causes minor brain damage to the target. Oops.
Bill - Can control his flight or flight response (meaning super strength and speed), he's kind of a dick? He gets off pretty light.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bill starts getting heart problems in the second season so he can't just adrenaline rush his way through all his problems.

Edit: Even with the random nature of the group, they still fit into a number of predefined roles. You've got your infosec guy, your skill monkey, your lookout, your face, and your muscle, to put them into a heist crew. Each one approaches problems in their own way and a good writer/GM can make it work because their powers are just focused enough that they can be worked with and everyone gets spotlight time.

The real problem with actual random power generation in RPGs is half the tables are filled with useless poo poo.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 6, 2017

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Fond" memories of the Heroes Unlimited random mutation tables, which gave us Afro Boy, Sensitive Man, and Horny Woman.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/kennethhite/status/862957874942758912

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
A Ken Hite-led V:tM has the potential to be incredible, insofar as you can really do anything new with Vampire. Alright Onyx Path, color me cautiously interested in the full release, but after the fiasco of the Exalted Kickstarter, I think I'll pass on backing this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Looks like everybody's least favorite serial harassment artist is also excited.

• Locked thread