Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i've seen some really pale rear end fat slimy sweaty dudes with jump wings

of course I never had wings so i'm just a baby pog bitch but still

otoh my one good friend was like some loving 82nd l33t snip3r and is looking at a dual hip replacement and I've got a few years on him so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
we've had this convo before but I really don't get why anyone would want to be airborne like lol

it's jsut for "cool" badges and poo poo. i'd see the appeal if there was a coldwar thing going on an dthe army wasn't a huge bunch of risk averse bitches

hell the one combat drop against a 3rd world defeated military was into an airfield that was already secured by friendly forces ???

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Everyone wants to be the 82nd jumping into Normandy, and it just snowballed from there where they convince a bunch of young idiots how cool and badass it'll be to jump out of a plane and how special they'll be compared to everyone else because of it. I guess.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Meanwhile the real combat jumps have fancy chutes and are more worried about being disavowed than landing on a rock wrong.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

I don't know if it's in bad taste or whatever due, but I feel like that's an appropriate avatar for you along with the text you already have.
If it's in bad taste, ignore me. But god drat I still can't fathom all the poo poo you've been put through.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mike-o posted:

I don't know if it's in bad taste or whatever due, but I feel like that's an appropriate avatar for you along with the text you already have.
If it's in bad taste, ignore me. But god drat I still can't fathom all the poo poo you've been put through.

I'm fairly certain I've actually quoted this lighter in conversations regarding my situation to at least one flag officer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TBeats posted:

you run real goddamn slow in airborne school so unless you just forget the physical movements required to run you should be able to go a few weeks without any physical activity and do a stupid rear end airborne shuffle without too much issue.

Knees are over rated anyway. Who doesn't want a knee replacement at 35?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Whoa there's tradoc posts that dont do 7 days a week PT for IET soldiers?

If I had known that I might have pushed for an instructor job a bit harder

In 2011 AIT we did class from like 0800-1700 with 2100 or so bedcheck, midnight on weekends? Also we could drink/go off post on weekends and had overnight passes on 4 days. I even had an Xbox 360, cable internet and an 80" HD projector screen in my 2 man barracks room. It honestly owned, AIT was fun as hell as long as you weren't a fuckup failing out of class.

Apparently it got drastically worse with no privileges or booze circa 2012.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 25, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i did like 16 weeks of osut and got one weekend pass at nine weeks for bct part graduation and nothing else really :/

I don't think it made me bad rear end or anything it was dumb as gently caress but yeah y'all had it good

tbf though even if I did have a weekend pass there wasn't much to do in ft knox anyhow

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I got to spend an extra three weeks or so at Knox for their Stryker school. The weekend we graduated OSUT, a few of us went down to Louisville and I promptly got food poisoning from Red Robin. I was all hosed up for that weekend through Monday, so it was the most surreal thing come Monday morning PT and I felt like I was walking through a dream. Even though that morning really blew, it made me hungry enough to keep some food down and I felt quite a bit better shortly thereafter. I've eaten at Red Robin exactly twice since then. Welp, that's my story.

We also learned very quickly that the locals are awful (Elizabethtown, not Louisville).

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 25, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
like you didnt want to go hang out at thoroughbreds 1-12

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'mma get me some of dat RADCLIFFE poo poo tonight boyz

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i'mma get me some of dat RADCLIFFE poo poo tonight boyz

Wait are you doing Harry Potter role play?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i wasnt but if you can be emma

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

DoktorLoken posted:

In 2011 AIT we did class from like 0800-1700 with 2100 or so bedcheck, midnight on weekends? Also we could drink/go off post on weekends and had overnight passes on 4 days. I even had an Xbox 360, cable internet and an 80" HD projector screen in my 2 man barracks room. It honestly owned, AIT was fun as hell as long as you weren't a fuckup failing out of class.

Apparently it got drastically worse with no privileges or booze circa 2012.

in 2003 i had a psone with a flip up screen and played ssx in bed

also i got to see the matrix reloaded while loaded

im truly sad the Hocienda is closed to army. Those couches were filthy due to all the handies in the movie theater

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Mike-o posted:

In avatar form:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I loving woke my kids up at 3AM laughing at this poo poo you rear end in a top hat

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Naked Bear posted:

I got to spend an extra three weeks or so at Knox for their Stryker school. The weekend we graduated OSUT, a few of us went down to Louisville and I promptly got food poisoning from Red Robin. I was all hosed up for that weekend through Monday, so it was the most surreal thing come Monday morning PT and I felt like I was walking through a dream. Even though that morning really blew, it made me hungry enough to keep some food down and I felt quite a bit better shortly thereafter. I've eaten at Red Robin exactly twice since then. Welp, that's my story.

We also learned very quickly that the locals are awful (Elizabethtown, not Louisville).

I went to E-Town only once and that was because the Staples there sold laminated, bound books with the OPORD shells and maps we needed for Armor school. You could technically get by without them but it made life a lot more painful.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What's kind of stupid about so many AITs and their pass/privilege policies is that "commander's discretion" or NCOs who swear they went to AIT uphill both ways seem to like to add a bunch of restrictions that aren't required by TRADOC at all. Overnights and booze aren't happening outside of special cases like year long AITs, but signing out with civilian clothes and going off post are allowed rather early in AIT. And there's no ban on game systems or personal computers in rooms as long as expensive stuff can be locked up.

The reg was very recently revised and republished with more leeway given to brigade commanders to loosen up, especially with regard to on-post and off-post pass time.

Also, despite what AIT trainees may be told, being made to wear reflective vests with OCP isn't a real TRADOC rule.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Your earliest shot to have any free time, or any privileges is about 7-8 weeks into AIT for 68W, when you can get Phase 5. Then you get released after school ends at 1800, and can use the time between that and 2000 bedcheck in your room, or go to shopette. And during weekend you only have to do first formation and bedcheck, so the 10-12 hours during day is yours, but if one screws up, there's always a recall, which happens almost every weekend. And it's ASU's only, jacket included.

And since you only have about 7 hours between bedcheck and you having to stand in PT formation again, besides sleeping and hygiene, it's not like there is a lot of time to do anything. So here I can't really see the point of any computers or game systems.

Besides, at least in this company, consoles are prohibited anyway, as are "computers or speakers that are too big". It's up to PSGs to decide what has to be mailed home.

And I can't really see most privates argue with any sergeant about rules. Kinda like how some of our NG dudes whose unit patch was the broken tv from 3ID, were yelled at by their PSG for "not earning it", despite them arriving in it and the Policy Book (inpsectable item!!!) staing that NG and Reserve dudes should wear their unit patch.

At least some of our PSGs are honest about how AIT had way more free time when they went through.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
As with all things, if it isn't a big army rule, it can still be a commander/NCO rule aside from the really illegal poo poo like barracks rent and charging for cleaning supplies.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Like, sergeants running a black market detergent store?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
The Army is so terrible lmao and you might wind up in the 82nd hahahhaahahhaha

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I got 173rd.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

I got 173rd.

For now. Wait until you PCS from there to either Alaska or Bragg. Heads up though, it's going to be Bragg. Just be thankful that a few years back they changed Italy to a three year duty station for everyone. If you like it there you can always reenlist to stay!

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Is Italy a good post? I don't recall ever meeting anyone who had been there

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

The post itself could be garbage, but you're already in central Europe at that point so you've got a good chance of getting out and seeing some cool stuff as long as the 173rd isn't being utterly stupid and incompet-oh. :smith:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

It's still the army so everything army is gay and dumb, but there are plenty of American and Italian holidays that are observed so there's a lot of three and four day weekends that you can put in passes for and get the gently caress away from Vicenza and enjoy Europe. But it's still super gay because army.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
a guy i went to basic training with lost out on korea as his duty station by failing the last pt test he had to take to get to airborne school

welp thats my 173rd story not to mention i have seen restrepo thanks for listening

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

One of my buddies got posted there. He was working a 3 & 3 (3 days of duty followed by 3 days off).

He bought a motorcycle and just drove around the coast a lot.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I enlisted as a guardsmen and I went back to my home of record for 2 months

Then I went to Iraq

Then college where I proceeded to use my VA fun bucks and played army part time

I was supposed to go to Africa in 2011 but uh lol no stop loss for this guy and gently caress Africa. Although part of me wishes I would have actually gone..

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MurderBot posted:

I enlisted as a guardsmen and I went back to my home of record for 2 months

Then I went to Iraq

Then college where I proceeded to use my VA fun bucks and played army part time

I was supposed to go to Africa in 2011 but uh lol no stop loss for this guy and gently caress Africa. Although part of me wishes I would have actually gone..

There are worse deployments but Africa was the worst for anyone given an actual task to do.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Like, sergeants running a black market detergent store?

Like NCOs saying to trainees that they have to pay for wax, Lysol, mops, etc and then pocketing the money while supply orders the stuff as usual.

Or, in some even dumber cases, not even pocketing it but actually buying barracks cleaning supplies with the money.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Like NCOs saying to trainees that they have to pay for wax, Lysol, mops, etc and then pocketing the money while supply orders the stuff as usual.

Or, in some even dumber cases, not even pocketing it but actually buying barracks cleaning supplies with the money.

Let's not forget pimping your trainees.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/13/inside-ft-hood-s-prostitution-ring.html

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
...we have to buy our own cleaning supplies..?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Look at what I found passed out in the barracks after PT.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 25, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
:stare:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Looks like he went out for 30 beers and came back and ate multiple cans of Campbells baked beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Kaliber posted:

Look at what I found passed out in the barracks after PT.

lol

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 26, 2017