Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

Riphagen the Untouchable is streaming on Netflix. Pretty good movie, based on the Dutch criminal who collaborated with the Nazis in WWII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Since that's not this one, I present to you all, Amerigeddon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX55033g5wo

I loving lost it when the old woman said "bootstraps"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I could not think of a better way to describe it. It's like Girls except it seems to have zero self awareness and pretty much all of the comedy is so bad it makes me wince. And this is coming from someone who has watched and liked a couple of seasons of Girls.

It's like, so bad that I kind of want to keep watching what a train wreck it is, but I had to quit after 2 episodes.

Yeah I tried to watch episode 3 to see Norm Macdonald's small role but I could not finish the episode because watching it was making me genuinely mad

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

tweet my meat posted:

I'm of the opinion that when a conversation naturally digresses from a movie available to stream to one that isn't available it's fine and usually winds up being a pretty interesting discussion, but I do agree that the starting point of that discussion probably shouldn't be something that isn't on streaming.

On the other hand, I really like when someone points out that a new release like The Void is available for streaming, even if it's a paid rental. That movie only hit theaters two weeks ago, thank you to whoever pointed out that I can just rent it instead.

There's enough room in this thread for discussing stuff like that. Limiting the conversation based on whether you're paying for a service or a one time rental seems silly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've recommended movies in here that were only available to rent dozens of times, no idea why that post was any different!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't have a lot of disposable cash for media and I'm always a little bummed when I see a recommendation for something that turns out to be a purchase/rental instead of being available regularly on Netflix or similar. I don't think it'd be a bad idea to either focus on primarily discussing streaming over renting, or at least being up front about needing to rent/buy it when you mention it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

I've recommended movies in here that were only available to rent dozens of times, no idea why that post was any different!

Because 90% of us are fine with it and appreciate a good rec even if it costs a few dollars, but there is always one guy that thinks mentioning something you have to pay for is somehow destroying the sanctity of the thread.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm not too invested in the issue but I'll go up to bat for it.

It really should be focusing on things that are on the major streaming platforms. "It's not on streaming but you can buy it" isn't a great opener for the streaming thread. Like if a discussion diverges to something that isn't on streaming or you're recommending something not on streaming based on what someone watched on Netflix the other night and made a post about, then yeah, go for it, but don't just recommend movies that aren't out of the blue.

The "but you're technically streaming it if you purchase the movie from amazon" argument is pretty weak too because at that point what's the point of even having the thread because that's pretty much every movie that has been released. It just becomes another general movie chat without any actual focus.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Here's a tip, if you're gonna make a generally reasonable and inoffensive post don't frontload it by calling people "smug nerds"

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

precision posted:

Here's a tip, if you're gonna make a generally reasonable and inoffensive post don't frontload it by calling people "smug nerds"

Yeah the irony isn't lost on me, I'll switch that up. I was mostly just annoyed at people getting jumped on for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Almost all of the time something that isn't available via the big streaming sites and gets mentioned here, it's because it's a movie that is in theaters still but is also available on streaming. Which is pretty useful info and has caused me to rent some stuff I've liked.

Also, no one has all of the same services so it's not that homogenized in the first place.

This thread is generally pretty good. I don't think it needs any armchair moderation about what movies can and can't be discussed.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Just noticed Bosch season 3 is up on Amazon. Anyone watch it yet? Any good. I enjoyed the first two seasons.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh cool it is, I also really enjoyed the first season, need to get around to watching 2 and 3.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the OG Ninja Turtles movie streaming anywhere?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

veni veni veni posted:

Sure is!

https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Koteas/dp/B0036969MA/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I knew I was going to get some smart rear end answer after that last post.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 24, 2017

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

veni veni veni posted:

I knew I was going to get some smart rear end answer after that last post.

I honestly thought you were baiting me.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

veni veni veni posted:

Not for free, assuming you're in the US. Quite a few rental options though.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Has anyone used shudder? Is it worth the price for what they offer? I got the free trial to watch Ghostwatch, which is by far the best and scariest found footage thing I've ever watched despite it's age and dated feel, but I'm wondering if the collection gets updated pretty regularly and if the movies already on there are pretty decent for the most part.

SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Has anyone used shudder? Is it worth the price for what they offer? I got the free trial to watch Ghostwatch, which is by far the best and scariest found footage thing I've ever watched despite it's age and dated feel, but I'm wondering if the collection gets updated pretty regularly and if the movies already on there are pretty decent for the most part.

Can't recommend Shudder enough
Their collection is always growing w very interesting and eclectic choices
I love Shudder so much

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
gently caress it then, I'll let it renew. Do you happen to know how hard they are on account sharing?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

tweet my meat posted:

gently caress it then, I'll let it renew. Do you happen to know how hard they are on account sharing?

I don't think you can stream to multiple devices at once.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mover posted:

THe original Mortal Kombat is up on US Netflix :toot:

(The sequel, Annihilation, had been on there for a while already for w/e reason)

Saw it last week and while it wasn't as good as my inner teenager remembered, it's still easily one of the better video game movies out there. Followed it up with MK:Annihiliation and, is it just me ,or is it not quite as bad as it's made out to be? It's definitely not a good movie, but I expected to see vidyagame fighty people get into fights and it met those (admittedly low) expectations. It's bad, but it's fun bad.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Quiet Feet posted:

Saw it last week and while it wasn't as good as my inner teenager remembered, it's still easily one of the better video game movies out there. Followed it up with MK:Annihiliation and, is it just me ,or is it not quite as bad as it's made out to be? It's definitely not a good movie, but I expected to see vidyagame fighty people get into fights and it met those (admittedly low) expectations. It's bad, but it's fun bad.
I had an absolute blast watching Annihilation. I knew when the theme song was cranked KRANKED from the first second that I would have a good time. It's an amazingly, gloriously stupid movie on so many levels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been watching Preacher on Hulu and it is really fantastic if you want a fun pulpy violent weird supernatural shitstorm. It's like "Quentin Tarantino Presents Neil Gaiman's The Leftovers", and I know I probably just made everyone not wanna watch it with that terrible metaphor, but I'm the guy who first went to bat for both Rectify and Patriot and Preacher is like, it's up there, it's real good.

I've never read the comic book, no.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

precision posted:

I've been watching Preacher on Hulu and it is really fantastic if you want a fun pulpy violent weird supernatural shitstorm. It's like "Quentin Tarantino Presents Neil Gaiman's The Leftovers", and I know I probably just made everyone not wanna watch it with that terrible metaphor, but I'm the guy who first went to bat for both Rectify and Patriot and Preacher is like, it's up there, it's real good.

I've never read the comic book, no.

Preacher reins the comic in a little bit, in my opinion to its betterment. Some folks weren't happy with the slow pacing but a) I didn't mind and b) it'll probably pick up once they hit the road in season 2.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I liked Preacher a lot. Every single time I started thinking "wow, this is insanely stupid, why are they showing/doing this," it validated itself and made me love what it was going for. Super pulpy is definitely the best way to describe it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GonSmithe posted:

I liked Preacher a lot. Every single time I started thinking "wow, this is insanely stupid, why are they showing/doing this," it validated itself and made me love what it was going for. Super pulpy is definitely the best way to describe it.

That's exactly it, yeah. For example:

The "wife beater" plot that started, I was like "oh jeez, yeah I get it, rednecks lol" but then there was the turn with "no dude I like being beat up" (which I know from experience is absolutely a real thing with some people) and then it does a double turn with the woman actually being in charge of their relationship and it's like... something written by Rogen/Goldberg should not have this much thematic depth, in a good way

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Pretty much every change they've made from the comic books has been for the better. If they had been totally faithful Preacher would probably suck. I'm sure they had to scrub for days just to get all the 90s off that original story.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Bosch season 3 is pretty good. His facial expression doesn't change very much though

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Everyone talking about Legion makes me want to start watching it. At home, wife and I already have a backlog of stuff to watch, and Legion isn't really the kind of show she'll like. We also have very limited amount of time to watch stuff in the evenings with work, and children, etc. which means the only time I'll really have to watch it is on the train (either on phone or on tablet).

Will Legion suffer from watching it on a smaller format screen?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Actually yeah, I think it would. Considering the detailed set design, 70s art film scene composition experimentation, and the way that background visuals are supposed to explicitly convey mentality and emotion it would almost definitely lose something on a small screen. Interesting visuals are a huge part of how the show explores the main characters psyche so I'd try and convince the wife it's worth her time.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

PotatoManJack posted:

Everyone talking about Legion makes me want to start watching it. At home, wife and I already have a backlog of stuff to watch, and Legion isn't really the kind of show she'll like. We also have very limited amount of time to watch stuff in the evenings with work, and children, etc. which means the only time I'll really have to watch it is on the train (either on phone or on tablet).

Legion is a really good-looking show. You'll want to watch it on a TV.

But it's only six episodes so you're not talking about a huge time commitment.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Sarchasm posted:

Legion is a really good-looking show. You'll want to watch it on a TV.

But it's only six episodes so you're not talking about a huge time commitment.

It's eight episodes.

Legion would probably still be good on a smaller screen, but I fully agree to watch it on a TV. There is so much going on visually that the larger the screen the better.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Legion felt more like a psychological thriller to me in some ways than a super hero movie.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

PotatoManJack posted:

My wife had zero desire to watch Legion until I told her it was from Noah Hawley (the mind behind Fargo). She ended up loving it, and she normally hates most superhero stuff (exceptions are Dr. Strange and the Batman movies). That said my wife was also a Dan Stevens fan before this (she loved him in Downton Abbey and The Guest), and she is a big (very big) Pink Floyd fan. So she fell in love with Legion from the very first episode.

Alterian posted:

Legion felt more like a psychological thriller to me in some ways than a super hero movie.

Yep.

Edit: Just going to pimp it here, but if you have HBO streaming The Leftovers is a must watch. Quality wise it is better than even SFU and Lost (it is a big deal for me to say this if you look at my username and avatar). It is for sure on the level of the mid 2000 HBO stuff.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 26, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did the leftovers grow on you or did you like it from the get go? I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes as they aired and thought they were kind of bad but I've always wondered if it was worth returning to.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
The leftovers gets really interesting as the conflict heats up at the end of season 1. The third episode following Michael hooked me, and Nora going to the convention is fantastic.

Season 2 benefits from changing locations, and once the show gets going some of the final episodes are stunning and, if I understand it, somewhat-LOST like in a good way.

Hard to say so far on Season 3. There's almost too much going on, and lots of callback to earlier seasons which I didn't even recall. But it's very well acted and the Max Richter score would probably make me cry while I eat a PB&J.

Overall I'm very glad the show exists, but it's a lot like reading a sad novel that makes you want to be quiet for a bit after you read it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

Did the leftovers grow on you or did you like it from the get go? I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes as they aired and thought they were kind of bad but I've always wondered if it was worth returning to.

I tried to watch it when it originally aired, and stopped around the 3 or 4 also. Flash-forward a year I kept seeing the praise for it from Alan Sepinwall calling season 2 the best show on TV. So we gave it another chance, and binged season 1 (to be honest I didn't even re-watch the ones I watched an year earlier) and 2 together. Afterwards I thought it was not only the best show currently airing on TV, but I found season 2 to be the best season of an HBO show I've seen since The Wire season 4. Season 2 was like Lindelof replace all the issues with season 1 with all the good parts of LOST while leaving all the bad parts behind.

Season 3 is only 2 episodes in, but last week's episode was a masterpiece (I have no problem following callbacks like Cocoa, but I did binge watch them). It has an easter egg/callback to a famous LOST thing fans love to bitch about that is just amazing.

Cocoa is right, it is like reading a sad novel, but it does have a sense of humor. Also there were many people who hated season 1 (I didn't when I went back to it), who ended up loving season 2.

Edit: To give you my current TV mindset I think the second best show on TV right now is Halt & Catch Fire. So your mileage may vary.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 1 and 2 of The Leftovers are very different and I like them both for different reasons. Just go into it knowing it's a character study and not a plot driven show.