Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

iospace posted:

I remember in the mid 90s when the Packers never ran the shotgun.

Yeah, the old West Coast offenses never used it. NFL Network reran Super Bowl XL a week or so ago and Madden commented that the Seahawks didn't use at all that season (2005).

Another piece of trivia I remember is that I think the first two NFL teams to run more than 50% of their offense from the shotgun were the Patriots in 2007, who then did it again the following year, and were joined by the 2-14 Chiefs who were basically the first NFL team trying to use the Pistol offense on a semi-regular basis. Since then, it's all skyrocketed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

Another piece of trivia I remember is that I think the first two NFL teams to run more than 50% of their offense from the shotgun were the Patriots in 2007, who then did it again the following year, and were joined by the 2-14 Chiefs who were basically the first NFL team trying to use the Pistol offense on a semi-regular basis. Since then, it's all skyrocketed...

This was the season Chan Gailey made Tyler Thigpen look something like an NFL quarterback, to the point where the Dolphins actually traded a low pick for him. I understand why people hate Chan but that still might be the finest coaching job I've ever seen.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

iospace posted:

I remember in the mid 90s when the Packers never ran the shotgun.

How the gently caress does a mod get probated

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Truly a question without an answer :iiam:

Or you could just look at his rapsheet

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Not surprised tbh

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

This was the season Chan Gailey made Tyler Thigpen look something like an NFL quarterback, to the point where the Dolphins actually traded a low pick for him. I understand why people hate Chan but that still might be the finest coaching job I've ever seen.
I vividly remember that, and it was really impressive.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

weird Asian candy posted:

Interesting little stat, why do you think this is? Pass happy league? More fearsome pass rushers? poo poo oline play?

https://twitter.com/Cole_Kev/status/856643388204089345
Teams figured out that those shotgun snaps were more effective than under centre, and have slowly adjusted. You can probably guess which other tendencies have gone up over the past 10 years for similar reasons.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

whypick1 posted:

Truly a question without an answer :iiam:

Or you could just look at his rapsheet

*her* rapsheet, if I'm not mistaken.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/josinaanderson/status/856806281771982848

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

That oval office bart hubbuch can drop to the floor and blow his dad

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Teams using shotgun formation have increased in percentage noticeably over the last decade.

Still, somehow a college QB from a shotgun system is seen as a negative.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Bigass Moth posted:

Teams using shotgun formation have increased in percentage noticeably over the last decade.

Still, somehow a college QB from a shotgun system is seen as a negative.

My dad just told me on a conference call that the Cowboys invented the shotgun, and that in the 70s, Roger Staubach was seen as soft for using it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

My dad just told me on a conference call that the Cowboys invented the shotgun, and that in the 70s, Roger Staubach was seen as soft for using it.

I think it was invented in the 30s or 40s. Landry just popularized it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

waah posted:

Bring back Mutant League football tia.

Would pay exorbitant price for iOS port. I know there was a kickstarter for it a few years back but I think it fell through.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think it was invented in the 30s or 40s. Landry just popularized it

:tipshat:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Travelle Wharton is a panthers coach now and is announcing their second pick.

Cool?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
A kid who's cancer is in remission is announcing the Ravens 1st pick. Hopefully he takes matters into his own hands if the Ravens try to draft a linemen.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

mdemone posted:

Would pay exorbitant price for iOS port. I know there was a kickstarter for it a few years back but I think it fell through.

*ahem* http://www.mutantfootballleague.com/
(Not on iOS, but that's your problem)

Wilford Cutlery posted:

*her* rapsheet, if I'm not mistaken.

Wait, there are women on the internet? Since when?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
harsh but fair

https://twitter.com/Andy_Benoit/status/856899044668342272

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/856671782908157952
https://twitter.com/Favre4Official/status/856912498271768576

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Bill Polian just said something staggering. He said no player who killed someone ever succeeded in the NFL.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Martavis Bryant has been reinstated: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Statements-on-Martavis-Bryants-reinstatement/8dc3b12f-c42a-4548-a580-76073f70ae14

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I really hope he Josh Gordons himself.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ditto.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

hahahahahaha

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I really hope he Josh Gordons himself.
:same:

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Pfft, look at all these NFL teams not realizing that SHOTGUN XY BOMB was one of the best plays you could run in Tecmo Super Bowl and everyone should go shotgun.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

daryl washington reinstated

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

giddyup

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I am pretty sure he is holding an NES controller in that first picture.

Which means Brett Favre was playing friggin' Mario the day he was drafted. Would Favre have been a goon if the forums existed back then???

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Amy Pole Her posted:

72-96 hours if taken with alcohol though. Had a client during intern days piss for it after 3 nights in jail so I know he wasnt lying

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do you know he didn't do coke in jail?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do you know he didn't do coke in jail?

It's jail not prison so highly unlikely you'd turn a misdemeanor DUI into a felony possession in prison

I believe him

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Amy Pole Her posted:

It's jail not prison so highly unlikely you'd turn a misdemeanor DUI into a felony possession in prison

I believe him

I was just wondering what your reasoning was. I know my local jails have a pretty big drug trade inside, but I don't know what the other 49 are like.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh I was referencing his punishment being light. Typically you sneak the risk in prison when you're dealing with more serious poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

axeil posted:

Would Favre have been a goon if the forums existed back then???

Look at the rest of the players the Packers signed. They play Settlers of Catan, they buy comic book shops, they get Batman tattoos.

What I'm saying is:

Yes

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SKULL.GIF posted:

Look at the rest of the players the Packers signed. They play Settlers of Catan, they buy comic book shops, they get Batman tattoos.

What I'm saying is:

Yes

pffft yeah, right

Did you read the story about Aaron Rodgers' first camp? Favre would have been too busy dunking on NERDS to be on some weeaboo internet forums, no matter how revolutionary early 1990s DPPH would have been

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Espn just laid off ed werder.

He was one of their best. Who's gonna be their 24/7 cowboys guy now?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/edwerderespn/status/857217374981894144

:smith:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

They continue to purge everyone so that they can just be faceless dudes reading off scores. If I was a B or C level talent there I would be looking for a new job with all of my free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

And a day before the draft? WTF?

• Locked thread