Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

I love these little guys. Probably my favorite machine design in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Augus posted:

The Yoko Taro version of Disney World is called "Working at Disney World"

Wouldn't it be some sort of abandoned amusement park that is popular for people to hang out in because it's assumedly haunted? And you're the vagrant who's haunting the place and just wants a good night's rest?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Iron Pipe isn't complete garbage but it's very much a niche weapon. The gap between its damage when equipped in the light or heavy slot is considerable. In fact out of all the small swords, I'm pretty sure it ends up with the highest damage in the heavy slot. Game's not hard to enough to require that level of min-maxing but if you want to rock a small sword in the heavy attack slot for the moveset, it's a good pick. Critical+ in particular is a top-tier skill.

I also appreciate your restraint in not making the obvious joke so that I could make it instead

NieR: Automata - "Now where could my pipe be?"

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Augus posted:

Come to think of it, I guess that story would've said "Brother" in the Japanese version of the game?

Man, the only thing weirder than Nier 1 having an alternate protagonist was that it actually worked

I'm pretty sure they actively reference both protagonists. Hell, in this very update, the Pipe references Papa!Nier, the spear references Brother!Nier. So... basically everything happened in canon. Including the contradictory things.

Especially the contradictory things.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

apocalypticCritic posted:

I'm pretty sure they actively reference both protagonists. Hell, in this very update, the Pipe references Papa!Nier, the spear references Brother!Nier. So... basically everything happened in canon. Including the contradictory things.

Especially the contradictory things.

Given that Drakengard 3 basically established that the multi-verse is a thing, I'm okay with both Papa Nier and Brother Nier being canon.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Sage Grimm posted:

Wouldn't it be some sort of abandoned amusement park that is popular for people to hang out in because it's assumedly haunted? And you're the vagrant who's haunting the place and just wants a good night's rest?

And those drat kids, always meddling in your affairs.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The Iron Pipes weapon story made me tear up a little bit.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Augus posted:

The Yoko Taro version of Disney World is called "Working at Disney World"

Well, that probably is a quick way to develop a seething hatred of children.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

iron pipe is great because crits do completely bonkers damage, like with 4 digits

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
This is Yoko Taro. Father brother wouldnt be a stretch.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

are you able to do the silent hill 3 thing with the iron pipe?

Atou Ren
Dec 31, 2012
Hey Id, I don't know if that's that's an error, but the four YouTube tracks for Ray of Light you've linked so far actually play City Ruins - Shade instead. I even went to the Jukebox and the soundtrack to compare and it seems all of them are the Shade versions of that song.

As for the Iron Pipe's weapon story, in the Japanese version it talks about Brother Nier instead. The main differences are that Yonah says Big Brother instead of Dad, and the line that says "Dad, if you're scared, I can sleep by your side." is "Brother, if you're crying at night because you're scared, we can both share my blanket.". I have a screenshot of it, but I don't think most people here would find a bunch of moonrunes interesting to look at. What is interesting that it's written mostly in hiragana, the very first thing Japanese children learn to write :unsmith:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Supremezero posted:

Is this gif just here to show off the fabulousness of this game's animations?

Cuz it's working.

The animations are so good. There are a couple good youtube videos showing them off, but they have OBVIOUS SPOILERS so maybe wait before checking them out.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
I went through the vast majority of the game using the iron pipe, because while it's not especially fantastic at first it becomes an absolute monster with Critical Up and Taunt chips equipped. Plus it's the iron pipe, and my love for the first Nier is so deep and endless I caught every fish and did Life in the Sands the legit way.

On second thought, I may be somewhat broken. Pipe!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Nice to see there's humans living on Earth!

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm already 100% sure the little backstory bit we've been given is a complete lie - the real question is just HOW it's lying to us.

I figure the humans just lost control of the robots.
I just hope the humans actually care about their android servants.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 25, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

lets hang out posted:

iron pipe is great because crits do completely bonkers damage, like with 4 digits

Yeah, there are a few seemingly gimmick weapons that have low base damage but the critical+ ability, and they're actually perfectly usable. Especially if you put on a big crit rate up chip.

I used one you get later on that has other fun effects too.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

RA Rx posted:

Nice to see there's humans living on Earth!

Huh? Where did you see humans on Earth?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Qrr posted:

Huh? Where did you see humans on Earth?

I just saw the most recent update, and the people looked so normal. :)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Given that Drakengard 3 basically established that the multi-verse is a thing, I'm okay with both Papa Nier and Brother Nier being canon.

We know Accord is running the weapon shop, so I figure she's been gathering weapons from all her multiverse hopping and just loses a ton of them all over the landscape. Thus all the weapons from different games and continuities.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Accord must be making a boatload of cash with her trans-dimensional arms dealing thing.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
If you're talking about the dudes at the Resistance camp, those guys are all androids too.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Accord must be making a boatload of cash with her trans-dimensional arms dealing thing.

I bet she has problems with the exchange rate. All of the Drakengard merchants get really confused when she tries to spend gears and bolts and stuff.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

The Sandman posted:

Well, that probably is a quick way to develop a seething hatred of children.

Working at retail is a quick way to develop a distaste and hatred of all living things. It's amazing I haven't gone postal yet :shepicide:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

She has a lot of mouths to feed.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

RA Rx posted:

I just saw the most recent update, and the people looked so normal. :)

Those are androids. We have not yet seen a human onscreen. As far as we know, they are all on the moon.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Unless directly stated otherwise, every single person we interact with is either an android or a machine.
"What's the difference?..."
"SHUT UP THERE'S A DIFFERENCE OKAY"

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The difference being that the resistance aren't actually staffed by combat Androids.
From what I can gather so far Yorha is essentially the military and the resistance isn't actually a part of that.
They just gather intel on the robots. They can fight sure however they are far weaker than the androids that are designated for such things.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
I'm glad this game carries on the tradition of your kid sidekick being a huge racist.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Doseku posted:

The difference being that the resistance aren't actually staffed by combat Androids.
From what I can gather so far Yorha is essentially the military and the resistance isn't actually a part of that.
They just gather intel on the robots. They can fight sure however they are far weaker than the androids that are designated for such things.

Not quite. Yorha is the newest set of models, the new wave for the current war (this is like the 14th) or something, and has only been around for a few years. All resistance androids we see on the ground were combat models from previous wars that stuck around a while. Anemone is a couple hundred years old, iirc. Though yeah they can't fight as well as Yorha models, and are generally less well maintained.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
On a good RNG day the Iron pipe is one of the best 1 handed weapon in the game due to its high max dmg and critical +. Stack some critical chips on yourself and cackle madly as red numbers explode off machines. The other critical + one handed sword does similar work but has a lower max cap, but a higher low end to the dmg so it works better early on.

But honestly, I just use the iron pipe because it brings back memories.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doseku posted:

The resistance might have combat androids, but they're way behind YoRHa models from what we've seen. Like, the Resistance caps out with Roy Batty, while 2B is built to throw down with Raiden.

There's a reason the speech from the council talked 'em up as a gamechanger.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ryas posted:

If you're talking about the dudes at the Resistance camp, those guys are all androids too.

apocalypticCritic posted:

Those are androids. We have not yet seen a human onscreen. As far as we know, they are all on the moon.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Unless directly stated otherwise, every single person we interact with is either an android or a machine.
"What's the difference?..."
"SHUT UP THERE'S A DIFFERENCE OKAY"

The joke is robots wouldn't have an amusement park so clearly they're humans. :ssh:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, they're essentially a relatively new special forces unit.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Gothic-lolita dresses for the ladies and shorts for the boys do not strike me as terribly efficient combat gear, but hey, what do I know.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Gothic-lolita dresses for the ladies and shorts for the boys do not strike me as terribly efficient combat gear, but hey, what do I know.

Obviously less than the ultra-advanced android designers of the future.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm already 100% sure the little backstory bit we've been given is a complete lie - the real question is just HOW it's lying to us.

This is all speculation on my part, but I'm expecting the Machine Lifeforms to have been the humans all along.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Qrr posted:

I bet she has problems with the exchange rate. All of the Drakengard merchants get really confused when she tries to spend gears and bolts and stuff.

Nah, she makes mad bank on cross-dimensional commodity arbitrage. Get gears and bolts, trade it for scrap metal. Move the scrap metal to Drakenland, where it's high-quality steel, sell it there for gold coins, and buy pure water. Bring that back to Automataland, repeat. The weapons thing is more of a side-line.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

More evidence for my 'Androids are bad at war' theory.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

2B weighs about 350 lbs or so. Which probably includes an armored endoskeleton, hydraulic musculature, and who knows what else kind of crazy future tech lives inside of them. At some point, it becomes more impractical to give them more armor to wear. It's just extra weight for a minor benefit - and Battle models are probably already running close to their maximum weight for efficiency, because in the real world designing with a lot of overhead only happens in cases where resources aren't scarce. Scanners are less weighty, but they're also not typically meant to be front-line fighters, so they almost certainly have less "musculature" and less armor.

Also it's worth considering that parts of their uniform are indestructible enough to survive being at the epicenter of a nuclear explosion, so they may well be armored - just very low-profile.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

They're dressed that way because it's what Yoko Taro thinks is hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yonah :3:

Begemot posted:

They're dressed that way because it's what Yoko Taro thinks is hot.

He said it's because it's the polar opposite of what people expect when you say space marine fighter in the year 11000+, and then added this as a joke what is probably a "I'm joking but this is also true" joke.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 25, 2017

• Locked thread