Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Was there a purpose to Mike firing shots into the air, other than to toy with them?

Great episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Was there a purpose to Mike firing shots into the air, other than to toy with them?

Great episode.

It's so they wouldn't be alarmed when he shot the shoes and go search the truck for bullet holes or something

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, the whole "hunters" gambit was so they wouldn't react to the final shot that actually mattered.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

mallratcal posted:

Ernesto is going to end up getting depressed and develop an eating disorder. He really will be reborn as Huell.

"Huell is my anime name."

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
How the hell does Vince Gilligan keep convincing me that 45 minutes is only 25 minutes

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

I wonder what Howard is going to do this season. You'd think he's going to be something more than just Chuck's henchman? The actor who plays him said in an interview that he plays a conflicted version of the character this season; so that might just open up an interesting character arc.

And where the gently caress is Nacho?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess it's time to explain the Mike scene for all the people who don't pay attention to the show.

The shoes at the beginning of the episode are the same shoes Mike threw up there. It shows a Los Pollos Hermanos truck, most likely signifying that in the future, Gus' trucks are the ones smuggling meth in. Mike isn't trying to assassinate the two men from Hector's truck. He is firing into the air for them to freak out about at first, but then get used to as the shots continue. They assume the shooting is from a hunter, and eventually, the gun shots don't even phase them. Then as they drive off, they drive under the shoes (they weren't parked under the shoes). When they pass under, Mike shoots the shoe so drugs will pour out and land on the truck. His earlier gunshots made it so the two guys aren't suspicious of that gunshot as they drive off. The drugs sprinkle down onto the truck and this gets them caught at the border.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Zohn posted:

This show continues to hit it out of the park. People complain about it being slow, but I am in love with how unabashedly character focused it is. I think I might like it better than BB?

Same

E: I can't remember the details from last season, where in the truck were the Salamanca goons hiding the drugs?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Alienwarehouse posted:

I wonder what Howard is going to do this season. You'd think he's going to be something more than just Chuck's henchman? The actor who plays him said in an interview that he plays a conflicted version of the character this season; so that might just open up an interesting character arc.

My guess is that he gets called in as a witness. He'll be conflicted as he would be a character witness for the defense regarding Chuck's mental health and for the prosecutor as to Jimmy's character. Having to be brought into this family war disguised as a trial will affect HHM reputation, and Howard is forced to make a choice.

My guess, Jimmy is convicted, but he uses his charm to get out of disbarment. Chuck then goes back and finds that the other partners pull a coup and "retire" him, leaving him with no hired help and no one left. He has a mental breakdown and is committed.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What kind of animal allows you to get a shot at it once a minute five times without running away is a mystery to me but I've never been to Mexico. Maybe their animals are stupider than ours.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

Same

E: I can't remember the details from last season, where in the truck were the Salamanca goons hiding the drugs?

Tires

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Is, "temporary insanity," a thing for B&E, assault and property damage?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Accretionist posted:

Is, "temporary insanity," a thing for B&E, assault and property damage?

No. Temporary insanity is a mechanism for (bad)TV shows and the world's worst in real life lawyers.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Why would Saul tell any of his clients he had a woman he loved?

His clients keep catching him banging sugartits and prostitutes. While that doesn't entirely rule Kim out of his BB life it strongly suggests she isn't in the picture.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

drunken officeparty posted:

What kind of animal allows you to get a shot at it once a minute five times without running away is a mystery to me but I've never been to Mexico. Maybe their animals are stupider than ours.

Growing up on Martha's Vineyard in the woods I would regularly hear people shoot four or five times in the span of a few minutes, I think it had less to do with whether the animal was stupid than whether the hunter was.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

His clients keep catching him banging sugartits and prostitutes. While that doesn't entirely rule Kim out of his BB life it strongly suggests she isn't in the picture.

He banged sugar tits?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Alienwarehouse posted:

He's in the preview for next episode

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Junkyard Poodle posted:

He banged sugar tits?

Her name is Honey Tits. Please show some respect.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I can not wait to start getting some court room scenes (hopefully)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TBeats posted:

I would like it if the actress who plays Kim wins an Emmy. She's real good :)

I bet she could pull off even an action or military role, I saw her in an interview and she's actually pretty buff. She'd probably kick my rear end in a fight, even, but I NEVER noticed this on Saul itself.

Just a random comment but it surprised me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Could there not be some sort of entrapment argument to be made?

Why did Chuck hire the PI in the first place? What was he doing at his house 24/7? After all, Chuck had no reason to believe Jimmy knew about the tape.

Unless Ernesto hearing 1 second of the tape is enough cause to immediately hire a round the clock PI. Would that really fly?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I forgot how the drugs trucks were making it through the checkpoint clean last season.

Steve2911 posted:

Could there not be some sort of entrapment argument to be made?

Why did Chuck hire the PI in the first place? What was he doing at his house 24/7? After all, Chuck had no reason to believe Jimmy knew about the tape.

Unless Ernesto hearing 1 second of the tape is enough cause to immediately hire a round the clock PI. Would that really fly?

Chuck was afraid of his brother, who had just confessed to a crime and may be willing to try and destroy the evidence, how chuck knew that jimmy knew about the tape is irrelevent.

Also Chuck isn't a police officer.

And entrapment has a very specific definition, the cop has to actively persuade you to commit a crime you weren't already going to do, just giving someone an opportunity isn't the same. http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=683

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 25, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
On top of all the other lovely things Chuck has done, he made a conscious decision to use Ernie and then fire him.

gently caress Chuck :mad:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Kim's been looking for a paralegal right? I hope Ernie's qualified enough.

Also, if that Mike scene all took place south of the border, how'd he get there with a gun and some drugs? Unless the clinic he visited was too, but then he already had the gun in his trunk.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm sure you could tell the show from Chuck's point of view without changing much of anything plot-wise and easily make him the protagonist and Jimmy the bad guy.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Thinking about it, we all expect Chuck to melt down under the lights. It may be more interesting if he's able to keep it together and not really get shaken at all, and shrug off the mud they do sling at him. We know it's all in Chuck's head, and when it comes to screwing Jimmy over he's able to power through a lot of Electro-waves. We could see Chuck really slam them and they both know they're screwed, and Jimmy has to take a full-measure Saul action to get himself acquitted.

Case in point: When Chuck was lecturing Jimmy at length as he sat on the curb waiting for the police arrived -- in full daylight, with no space blanket, and not a hint of discomfort.

Chuck's symptoms are inversely proportional to how superior he feels he is to Jimmy. When Jimmy is nearing independence and success, Chuck is deathly ill. When Jimmy is on the ropes, Chuck is perfectly fine.

So if Jimmy beats the charges, this correlation will result in a psychosomatic episode that will immediately end Chuck.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Also, if that Mike scene all took place south of the border, how'd he get there with a gun and some drugs? Unless the clinic he visited was too, but then he already had the gun in his trunk.

I was wondering this too. I'm willing to buy a combination of 1. Mike is very clever and sneaky and 2. He's an old white man who knows that someone like him is unlikely to raise suspicion at a border crossing, but something more explicit would've been nice. Either way, it certainly didn't destroy the episode for me.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The clinic was in Mexico. Remember when Gus killed Don Eladio? That was the same doctor.

Not sure about the other stuff.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I love how many costumes Saul goes through, Walt only had "Mr.chips" which slipped more and more and "Scarface" which became more real.
Saul however is a chameleon, I hope the writers have some new costumes in waiting.

Jimmy mcgill, attorney at law.

"Matlock"

"The straight shooter"

"Flail like a tube man"

"Generic Gene"

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Kim's been looking for a paralegal right? I hope Ernie's qualified enough.

The clinic was in Mexico and in any event, smuggling contraband into Mexico isn't the part of the equation that's difficult

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

lotus circle posted:

He could have still shot at the shoe just as they drove by, which would still scatter some cocaine onto the truck.

Possible but if any wouldn't have been blown away in the wind it would probably end up on the top of the truck. The dog could probably still smell it but it would be hard to alert to its handler.

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
Just believable enough to work in the context of the show. Remember BB wasn't 100% realistic either, these shows have a bit of a comic/pulp sensibility.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ChesterJT posted:

Possible but if any wouldn't have been blown away in the wind it would probably end up on the top of the truck. The dog could probably still smell it but it would be hard to alert to its handler.
I mean the spot where it landed on was already a little contrived to begin with, since it essentially landed in that perfect little back area where the dog would be able to properly sniff it out.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Finally caught up to this thread + season, and oh man I'm enjoying it. I really like Saul for it's capturing of tiny human quirks (like debating if it should be a semicolon or comma). The one odd thing I find is the need for the show, to show time passing through time-lapse style. I'll have to re-watch the other seasons to see if this is just a style I didn't really pay attention to until now. Petty with a prior guy was great and loved the little back and forth they had when Jimmy was arrested.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Killmaster posted:

Just believable enough to work in the context of the show. Remember BB wasn't 100% realistic either, these shows have a bit of a comic/pulp sensibility.

I don’t want film to be a "slice of life" because people can get that at home, in the street, or even in front of the movie theater.
--Alfred Hitchcock

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can a gunsperg comment on whether a suppressor could be heard at the distance they were At

nerox
May 20, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Can a gunsperg comment on whether a suppressor could be heard at the distance they were At

I can't remember the caliber of that gun from previous episodes, but it would still definitely be heard at that range assuming its .223 or .308.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Alan Smithee posted:

nerox posted:

I can't remember the caliber of that gun from previous episodes, but it would still definitely be heard at that range assuming its .223 or .308.

Even a 308 suppressed would be pretty quiet, given that it's at ~400 yards and the two dudes are inside the cab of a loud as gently caress mexican diesel truck.

Mike's plan was cheaper than a black market suppressor, though.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Was Mike's rifle ever shown to be suppressed? Suppressors can be taken on and off most of the times, so it's reasonable to think there wasn't one on this time. What bugs me most is how whenever Mike 'fired' into the air the rifle showed zero recoil, making it obvious how the sound is just added in post and it's nitpicking but in a show with this attention to detail you'd expect better.

And yeah without some clumping or adhesive agent added to the drug I find it really hard to believe that enough of the drug stuck for the 20 kilometers remaining to the border but whatever, when the show started on those shoes I thought 'That's Gilligan trolling the audience, the thread will be talking about these shoes for pages and they'll mean nothing in the end." shows what I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
His rifle was neither suppressed nor threaded for one.

You'd be surprised what will stay on a vehicle/bumper, especially for a short distance on a windy (slow) road like that.

• Locked thread