Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, for those scant few who are legitimately curious: Dash Rendar will never die.

^^^^^^^
whoa, spoilers! mods, please remove those and put this poster on probation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

^^^^^^^
whoa, spoilers! mods, please remove those and put this poster on probation!

Mods please probate this poster for quoting a spoiler

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I found an old tab on my tablet where this thread was still called "," and I remembered those brave young days before I knew about that half-life mod where Dash Rendar's son was named "Phoenum" probably because it sounded sort of like "Freeman", and before I knew about Dash Rendar's robot girlfriend, or his dumb spaceship which is kind of like the Millenium Falcon but really dumb looking.

And now I don't know if Nine Gear Crow is ever going to lp Killzone: Mercenary, which is my favorite Killzone and the only one I've played all the way through.

What has this thread given me? Only madness! Only more questions! Will the monitor ever get fixed? Why was minesweeper on a cd? Why did Dash's girlfriend kill all those cats?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, for those scant few who are legitimately curious: We're gonna do Killzone: Shadow Fall for real over the summer.

>Build the wall, and eventually, but at a later date so we can get started early, Vekta will be paying, in some form, for the badly needed border wall.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh lord, a Dash Rendar thread. Love it. I will have to make more fanart. I'm sure I can use this

to work with this

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Is that Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender fanart?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Wow, didn't know about this. It looks exactly like him.

Actually the picture I posted from was from the actual Shadows of the Empire comic strip that Sally and Nine Gear Crow posted in the old SotE thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574869&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post425478356

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

BMS posted:

Wow, didn't know about this. It looks exactly like him.

Actually the picture I posted from was from the actual Shadows of the Empire comic strip that Sally and Nine Gear Crow posted in the old SotE thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574869&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post425478356

I'm gonna spend the rest of the day trying to understand that Dash Rendarverse.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Fun fact: Rex Nebular was originally going to be a Shadows of the Empire game chronicling Dash Rendar's human replica droid misadventures with Guri. It was eventually scrapped in favour of the 3D version we all know and love. The basis for the point-and-click adventure was retooled and went on to be Rex Nebular, Microprose's first release!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
>Just admit that there is no update coming.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
there would be an update but people keep posting things that inspire me to boot up Premiere or Photoshop but you have to find it first!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

>Hit begin
>Type into search bar "update"

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Blind Sally posted:

there would be an update but people keep posting things that inspire me to boot up Premiere or Photoshop but you have to find it first!

>Stop being inspired by anything, ever again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
>write a poem about White Coke

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

>write a poem about White Coke

White Coke, Black Coke, both make you sick,
Take your brain for a spin, and make things not quite click,
By the end of the poem, you'll be sucking my dick,
Because I managed to work in the phrase "Carpets this thick."

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

nine-gear crow, quite the poet,
not that we'd ever know it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Very controversial poem, it contains prose and a con.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
>Search "LP Update"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

>Search "LP Archive Update"

Update the LP Archive? With the latest LP by Blind Sally and nine-gear crow? Why look no further, my dear friends!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
>Become the Dash, embrace the Rendar within.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i'll get an update tomorrow. thought i'd have more opportunities throughout the week but work's been heck and i've been hella tired. hang tight, true dash-believers, and dash-celsior!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
>Dash everyone's hope by closing the thread, rendaring it useless.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

>Dash everyone's hope by closing the thread, rendaring it useless.

ok

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Nah, i'm just playin'.

Hazamuth posted:

>Close the screen with the power button. Gaze into your fractured self via reflection on the screen. Was the update inside you all along?

Yeah, sure, I dunno how turning off the monitor will help. You can barely see anything reflected in it with all the cracks.

Anyways, let's get back at it.

chiasaur11 posted:

>Click on blood.

>Use Blood on Flask.

Nah, man, that won't work. The blood has congealed by this point into a stain on that pad of paper. The blood on my arm is just a giant scab. No more blood, please.

Ramos posted:

> Then sharpen the edges into a razor disk of death.

I can do this. And by I can do this, I mean that I can throw out the broken Minesweeper case and most of the bits, keeping only the largest, most dangerous looking shard. (I'm not about to break more of my video games on purpose).

FPzero posted:

> Click "Begin"

Ramos posted:

>Hit begin
>Type into search bar "update"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

>Search "LP Update"

Yes... YES!!

Let's get this LP on track! Okay, i'm going to open up my BEGIN menu:

Type "update" into the search and...

Let's see, this is what I've got:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
>update to Windows 10 already you old sack of biscuits

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
>What's the deal with these updates?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

>What's the deal with these updates?

See thread title.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

>Try the second update in the list

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Wait a second.. those are different gloves!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
>Remove gloves during a backflip

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

>Try the second update in the list

Alright, let's try running "SOTE_C update 01".

I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it has SOTE in the title and seems to be an update. Let's check it out!

Oh yeah! Dash Rendar Chronicles! This relatively unknown title was released in 1999 with little fanfare. After the awful SOTE PC port in 1997, PC owners weren't necessarily too keen to give the Dash man a second chance. The game was nearly cancelled, but since so much development had already been put into it, they went ahead and released it anyways hoping to recoup some of their losses. However, LucasArts was unwilling to put in any advertising power behind it because of the PC port's flop. As such, very few people ever played this game. It's pretty fun, though, as it's basically an isometric RPG retelling of the Shadows story--from Dash's perspective, of course.

Anyways, as great as the N64 version was, they never got to experience this hidden gem of the SOTE multimedia project. Without further ado, I'll let it speak for itself. This first part is little more than an opening cinematic. Note: any out of character dialogue from my part will be italicized.

"History" gives us a brief backstory to the game. We'll see that in just a moment.
"Instructions" are how to play--I'll get into that once gameplay actually starts.
"Intelligence" are unlockables, such as concept art. Nothing worth looking at right now.
"OK" starts the game!

I, uh, should point out that the graphics in this game aren't great and at points seem to be pushing the limits of the software. The classic Star Wars title crawl takes place when we start the game (by clicking on "OK") and it's just some text slowly fading in and out. The information we see animated here is the same information given if we hit the "History" button on the main menu.

A "lone freighter"? Goodness, I wonder who that could be...

Approaching Echo Base, sir.
Alright, Leebo, take us in.
Sure you wouldn't rather park and walk in? It's a bit brisk out, but the scenery is lovely.
Unless you want me to leave you in a snow drift, you better transmit those clearance codes.
Transmitting.

Incoming response.
Codes received. You are cleared for landing. It's good to see you, Outrider.
Naturally. Thank you, Echo Base.

A message from General Rieekan's attendant: he will meet you in the landing bay.
Great. I'll go put on the ol'Rendar charm. You stay here and see that the weapons and supplies get offloaded. And properly, this time! You keep putting dents in the Outrider and people are going to start confusing it for the Millenium Falcon.
Ha, it's not the dents you need to worry about.

Leebo gets a lot more to say in this version. It's the game's biggest redeeming feature.

Good to see you again, Captain Rendar!
Nice to see you too, General. I brought you the shipment, it's in the cargo hold. My droid is taking care of it as we speak.
Yes, good. That's fine. You should know: we're expecting company soon. If I were you, I wouldn't stick around too long. An Imperial probe droid located the base not too long ago. The Empire should be here any time now.
I'll keep that in mind.

Elsewhere, the south gates open to let in a pair of tauntauns.

The screen then pans up to reveal a pair of familiar figures...

Alright, Chewie, just keep working on those repairs.
Raaaaargh!

Oh, for crying out loud--of course Dash can't leave! He heard that Han Solo was around so he can do some trashing talking. Classic Dash.

Well, well, well. Look who it is, Han Solo.

Note: Artoo and Threepio cameo! They are walking across the screen below us. Also, the tauntauns we saw enter the base are in the upper corner. Sorry, uh, no actual significance. Just a transition device between scenes.

I thought you were still on Ord Mantell. Bounty hunter trouble bring you here?
Yeah. I see you still fly the Outrider. Hear she's almost as fast as the Falcon now.
Pfft, nuh uh!!! She's totally faster! Last time we raced, I let you win, Han. You and that pile of bolts wouldn't stand a chance now.
Right. You'll get your chance to show off, Dash. The Empire's on its way over. If I put in a good word for you, you might be able to help out around here and make a little extra money.
Only a little?
They'll pay you well, don't worry. I'll talk to Luke.

Han is totally calling Dash's bluff by playing to his ego and it absolutely loving works. Dash, you're so transparent.

We cut to a scene inside the base--

General, there's a fleet of Star Destroyers coming out of hyperspace at Sector 4!
Reroute all power to the main shields! Gotta hold them off until all our transports are away. Prepare for a ground assault.

Note: if you look closely, you can see Threepio and Leia in the background. No speaking lines at the moment, though.

Things are heating up. The game cuts back to Dash meeting up with another familiar Star Wars figure--

Alright, Skywalker, you pay me well and I'll take down all the Imperials you want.

Never change, Dash :allears:

Yeah, sure, we'll pay you. We're short on pilots and gunners anyway, so we could use the help.

At this point, Luke and Dash grab the two snowspeeders floating nearby.

At this point, I was kind of hoping they'd find a way to let you play the intro, but they don't. The following is all a glorified cutscene using in-game assets. It's too bad, because later on they let you engage in ship-based combat. Just not here.

Alright, Rogues, standard attack pattern.

The Rogues fly in--

--and Dash breaks off to attack some AT-STs.

The ship combat isn't too exciting, to be honest. The game's engine doesn't really support it very well. Dash's speeder shoots at the walker a few times as it tries to flee and it collapses in a heap.

He spots another nearby AT-ST and takes it down as well.

Two scout walkers down, commander.

Yeah, but who's counting, Dash?

At this point, Luke's speeder does a run up on an AT-AT.

That armour is too strong for blasters. Rogue Group, use your harpoons and tow cables on the walkers and go for the legs!
Copy, Rogue Leader.

This is where the game's engine is really embarrassing. I mean, I know a lack of advertising is one of the reasons a lot of people didn't play it, but I'm sure that this underwhelming intro was another deciding factor. The game doesn't even render a tow cable. Instead, the walker just pauses while the speeder loops around it. Observe:

Detach cable!

Nice shot, Captain Rendar!
:toot:

We cut to a snow speeder getting shot down to show that, no, the Rebels aren't actually doing that well and Dash isn't single-handedly winning the war.

They're getting closer to the power generator!

Thanks, Wedge, we can see.

As you can see, the ground-based combat functions a little better. Plenty of explosions, a lot of sprites can be handled on screen at once, tons of detail in the models and types used--it's good!

Targeting. Maximum firepower!

The power generator has been destroyed. Fall back, Rogues! Return to base. Find a transport and get yourselves to safety!
Roger that, Rogue Leader. Good luck!

So much for a simple cargo delivery.

You didn't have to stay, Dash! Rieekan even advised you to go! You only stayed for the money and to show up Han! In fact, Solo probably figured this would happen and that he'd finally be rid of you! You brought this on yourself, Dash! Your arrogance will be your undoing!

Anyways, the mission ends with Dash returning to Echo Base to find the Outrider.

Next: an actual gameplay update!

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 30, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015
>Create an audio dramatization of the update.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
> Update Dash's Wookieepedia article

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

>Create a video dramatization of the next update

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

White Coke posted:

>Create an audio dramatization of the update.

Hmm...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

>Create a video dramatization of the next update

HMMM...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

> Hmmmm some more