Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Kirby did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Especially the car thing, a new 2017 model does not invalidate the 2016 model or make it less useful or less derivable in any way, it's a terrible comparison.

I don't even need to change the text of this to make it apply to tabletop models.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

For example Wizards sets the release schedule for their magic the gathering cards a year or more in advance. Everyone knows at the time they're buying cards exactly when they'll stop being legal for the standard format..

This is untrue. The release schedule is a known thing but WotC has both hosed with what's legal in standard multiple times in the past few years and changed the banned and restricted announcements with no warning in the same time frame, so this is not the exemplar you hope it is. Please counter my argument with 5000 words of text that no one but your fans in the thread will pay attention to tia.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Hamshot posted:

Your last claim could also do with some examples to back it up.

you first

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
this thread is loving embarrassing

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Is there some sort of Tyranid toxx?

if not, I think there should be

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hamshot posted:

I don't even need to change the text of this to make it apply to tabletop models.

We're talking about rulebooks, but there is an expectation - with good prior experience behind it - that models are going to be obsoleted too. Not all of them, probably not even most of them, but... who knows? GW has not given out much information about what they're going to do to the various factions. Why not? They surely know by now.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

This is untrue. The release schedule is a known thing but WotC has both hosed with what's legal in standard multiple times in the past few years and changed the banned and restricted announcements with no warning in the same time frame, so this is not the exemplar you hope it is. Please counter my argument with 5000 words of text that no one but your fans in the thread will pay attention to tia.

Please describe any instance in which WotC made cards in a current release, which had just come out within the last (say) six months, invalid for legal standard. I'm not moving the goalposts here: invalidating brand new products being charged for is GW's habit.

I'm not an expert on Magic so maybe they've genuinely done this. If they have, it's despicable.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

From the outside all this stuff about how much GW is or isn't improving from being "Absolutely Horrible" to just "Slightly Less lovely In General" comes off like two grumpy old men arguing about who owns what mud clump in a bog

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I don't think anyone claimed Wizards of the C was good, its a parallel but it isn't a 100% one. Their normal pattern is to announce things ahead of time, more than a few simple weeks.

Anecdotal story of Gw being Gw I was chatting with a clerk in the FLGS, dude gets a call from GW. I think it was for Fantasy's Storm of Magic books or some such. How many preoders for it they asked? None he said, because they can;t take preorders till a week in advance, that was day one, so they had loving zero. They wouldn't be able to set aside any because no one had any they could set aside for anyone else. Everyone had to pretend this thing was not coming till GW had declared it. How do you have preoders for something you can't preorder? :psyduck:

Fake Edit. Grumpy Old Grogs. Arguing for nothing about miniatures.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Huh?

Sorry, I don't follow what you're trying to say there buddy.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Wizards has made a couple of changes to the Standard rotation period in the past few years, it is true. The first one was when they changed the patterns for when sets would rotate out of Standard. I don't believe this changed the point at which any already released sets were going to leave Standard; it was only for upcoming sets. The second came when they realized they'd actually made the Standard rotation too fast (or so they believed), so they changed it to make people's cards relevant for longer, which, while technically a change, is obviously an improvement from the consumer value perspective.

Bannings are something that you can't really compare to any sort of normal product lifecycle, because by definition they mean that Wizards hosed something up and that banning a card is healthier on balance for the game than doing nothing. Not sure what the equivalent in a miniatures game would be but it isn't equivalent to the normal set/edition rotation.

Finally, it's worth remembering that many MTG players already view the Standard of recent years (and specifically its relative levels of promotion over the eternal formats) as a naked profit-grubbing exercise that works to the detriment of players and the game experience in general, and feel that we'd be much happier if eternal non-rotating formats were promoted and made more accessible. So while I won't put any words in Leperflesh's mouth, he might not be intending to hold Wizards up as some sort of exemplar, just pointing out that even a bar as low as that one is still over GW's heads.

JerryLee posted:

I think if you want to make GW look remotely cool or good, you might need something stronger than "Starting to edge up towards maybe not being too much greedier and shittier than D&D or MTG" because let's face it, those examples also look insane to anyone who isn't already a hooked whale.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
mods rename me to wizard of the c, tia

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JerryLee while not equivalent in previous GW codex's a unit that might have been too strong sometimes had a 0-1 stipulation, could only have one of it or had to be taken with something to take it again. Not the same as banning but a restriction could help. Anything done after a printed release was much harder to control outside of regular event goers because if you did not play competitively everyone tends to house rule, if it was restricted it would be a toss up if a pick up game held it or not. Early 2000's 40k was buy a rule book, buy a codex if anything was FAQ maybe you saw it, more likely if you went to GW based stores before they went the one man route, a practice that still, to me, feels bad a lovely unless the person running it has enough table space for people to play normally instead of just reserved for intro games, some do some don't.

Hell some special characters had a game point restriction unless an opponent agreed other wise. Off the top of my head in CSM Abbadon had it, Kharn did, Ahriman did but not Lucian or Typhon. A little thing like that could solve a few issues here an there. Everyone touts "gentleman's agreement" might as well have it in print.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Leperflesh posted:

We're talking about rulebooks, but there is an expectation - with good prior experience behind it - that models are going to be obsoleted too. Not all of them, probably not even most of them, but... who knows? GW has not given out much information about what they're going to do to the various factions. Why not? They surely know by now.

Please describe any instance in which WotC made cards in a current release, which had just come out within the last (say) six months, invalid for legal standard. I'm not moving the goalposts here: invalidating brand new products being charged for is GW's habit.

I'm not an expert on Magic so maybe they've genuinely done this. If they have, it's despicable.

Are you just blind to the basic concept of how the DCI has worked for ~20 years? They do this all the time.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

He said he is not an expert on Magic.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Once again: bans and restrictions are contingencies that are only used if they are absolutely needed. That's a fairly relevant distinction.

If anything, many people suspect that the DCI is too reluctant to ban money cards when, for the health of the game, they ought to.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JerryLee posted:

Once again: bans and restrictions are contingencies that are only used if they are absolutely needed. That's a fairly relevant distinction.

If anything, many people suspect that the DCI is too reluctant to ban money cards when, for the health of the game, they ought to.

I'd agree with you, but :

Leperflesh posted:

This is some ignorant poo poo to post as hyperbole when five seconds of googling will bring up a list.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So ... The death thread was right all along about the new 40k... Who would have thought?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Only because they keep on moving the goalposts. Games workshop is releasing a new edition? :eyepop:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd agree with you, but :

This is some ignorant poo poo to post as hyperbole when five seconds of googling will bring up a list.

That's true. I personally give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant lovely bad-faith obsolescence that can be directly compared to GW's, and it didn't occur to him (because he isn't familiar with competitive Magic) that the way he worded it would technically include game-balance bans. But yeah, it was bad wording.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everyone and their dog called it on this turning out to be to be the Age of the Emperor

The real curveball was that this is an improvement.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I was under the impression only older cards were banned. If they're banning cards they just printed, that's pretty gross and they absolutely should offer people refunds for them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It's getting farther and farther away from anything that's a good direct comparison to GW, but part of the "problem" with offering refunds is that Wizards doesn't want to acknowledge that there's an out-of-control secondary market for single cards (even as they tacitly try to avoid doing anything that would lower the secondary market value too far). So when they ban, e.g., Smuggler's Copter, if they were to issue refunds, what would the refund be? The $20 or whatever that it would have cost from a dealer? The $3.99 the booster pack would have cost if you get all your Constructed rares by busting packs like a moron?

MTG's own particular brand of nerd capitalism has a lot of broad similarities to GW's but it also has lots of idiosyncrasies that you're not really going to be able to compare one-for-one.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xarbala posted:

Everyone and their dog called it on this turning out to be to be the Age of the Emperor

Even GW would have seen what an absolute train wreck age of sigmar was initially. Granted, it would have been hilarious if they didn't take that lesson to heart...

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
how bout we just do the reasonable thing and compare gw to other tabletop mini games but not every other trad game company, or car companies, or airlines? :shobon:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks for regurgitating the exact same missing-the-point arguments we've already taken apart, Hamshot. Including the stupid car analogy.

GW sold books for an edition they then invalidated less than two months later, and are offering store credit - not refunds - to customers who bought that specific thing within the last 8 weeks (and presumably can prove it).

Magic announces a year or more in advance its plans for obsoleting cards, and every edition of D&D - backwards compatible or not - has been announced with details months or years in advance. Customers can make informed decisions about whether to buy products for a game system they know is going to become obsolete.

But Warhammer 40k releases normally do not obsolete every supplement for the prior release, immediately. The reasonable expectation is that company selling you a book for the game is not withholding the information that the book they're selling you will be obsolete in two months, or hell, six months. And since we know GW's preproduction process is at least a year long, and their books had to have been in final proofing state months ago, they really have had this information under wraps for months.

They withhold the information so they can sell more products they know will be made obsolete.

It's cool they're offering store credit to a limited subset of those customers. But it's still a very lovely way to roll out a new product that obsoletes old product, and the actual thing a good company would do - the thing all their competitors do - is tell their customers well in advance what to expect with upcoming releases, and/or make their rules actually free so nobody gets ripped off when they jump into a game two months before its rules get wiped clean.

This is not some screeching unreasonable position to take. It is not the GW death thread just being a circle jerk.

And for the dozenth time, since this just cannot seem to sink in:

GW is not offering cash refunds for anything. They're offering store credit for the most recently sold book, if you bought it within the last 8 weeks. A book with rules in it that will have had a practical useable lifetime of maybe three or four moths, tops, and that's if you bought it on release day. There has never been a comparable release from Wizards for any edition of D&D, or for any edition of Magic. In fact I can't think of a single other instance of any other game company ever releasing a product that they made obsolete with a rules-wiping new release less than four months later without announcing to customers buying that product at the time of purchase that it would become obsolete in such a short period.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think it is cool and good that GW is giving even as much as store credit for books that will be invalidated.

I think it's lovely that they knew months and months ago that those books would be invalidated and didn't properly communicate with their customers that this would be happening in the first place.

Our ability to recognize a pattern and make an informed prediction and not to buy into GW at the moment does not forgive GW for being unwilling to discuss the future of their product with their customers.

I imagine all of you people saying how you like GW just for the fluff and some throwaway rules to play with that fluff would have happily purchased the Gathering Storm books even if GW had said, "These will be the last major release for this edition of 40k and nothing you buy will be compatible with the next edition." And then GW wouldn't have had to offer refunds or credit of any sort. Then everyone could say, "At least they were upfront and honest about what this release was and we knew what we were getting into." But instead it was mostly us going, "Remember when they released AoS and blew up fantasy? I bet something similar is coming. I bet they don't get rid of the 40k universe, but I wouldn't buy anything right now just to be safe."

What they're doing is at least tacit admission that it was a lovely business practice, but since this is New Games Workshop TM, they'll pretend to be showing improvement by offering store credit to the % of their customers who follow them on social media and the % of those customers who have proof of purchase within the last 8 weeks. I'm sure that's not no one, but I'm guessing it's only a small percentage of the actual sales they've had in that time.

Leperflesh posted:

It is amazing how a company obsoleting products they just released get a total pass from people just because they offered store credit, not a refund good for no more than eight weeks after purchase.

Seriously these people are kicking you in the balls and then muttering "oh sorry" and you think it's a kiss on the lips.

Leperflesh posted:

Just to be clear I've never played warhammer 40k and the only 40k minis I own, I purchased more than 20 years ago.

And warhammer 40k heavily rips off 200AD, Judge Dredd, and then later Aliens, Terminator, and then much later, anime. GW's worldbuilding for 40k has probably had a lot more total time money and effort put into it than the old fantasy world, at least in recent years, but it's not exactly a bold and original new setting invented wholecloth from nothing.

I'm charitably assuming even GW would let you swipe your card or whatever and look in their own records to determine that you bought something from them within the last eight weeks, but maybe that's too much? After all it's not a refund, just a store credit.

Leperflesh posted:

how are you this dense

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

here you go friend

rest your weary head now. no more need for absurd hyperbole. instead enjoy the taste of the new generation, to go along with your new edition

Leperflesh posted:

store credit, not refund or return policy

if you bought within eight weeks

a product they knew was about to be obsoleted months before they released it

Leperflesh posted:

By "everyone" you mean like four or five posters and the hilarious part was I guess them arguing with believable, commonly-found crap opinions that, woah, here's the big joke, didn't belong to the people posting them! But were completely within the bounds of what actual real posters have posted, so... yeah, good job pretending to believe things other people believe, for effect!

I think if that sort of humor is what amuses you, this might be the wrong subforum for you.

perhaps someone should go find posts on another forum, then c/p them here as their own. thats the height of comedy surely

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not mad
no ur mad
who is crying no no no
I care even less than u, you carer, caring so much

Are we done with this yet? GW: still a lovely company, making tiny steps towards the bare minimum bar for not being a totally shitbag company. Nobody is claiming anything more than that.

This thread is not here to make you laugh, talkidwithglasses. The posters in it are not obligated to entertain you. But hey, if there's some jokes to be made, please go ahead, I'm sure everyone will appreciate it!

I hope they find a cure for whatever rare mental affliction ails you, so you can be healthy again one day.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
owned by noted indigent furry ijyt and his ability to hit the quote button!

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

And now the personal attacks begin. Thank you ijyt.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

For_Great_Justice posted:

Welcome to the death thread. That's all it's ever been.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I guess the death thread is killing...itself?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Quick, someone make a thread where people guess how long the death thread will survive

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Apparently GW is acknowledging the weakening position of the pound and prices are going to see an 8% drop out in my neck of the woods. In Australia they're doubling prices.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

For_Great_Justice posted:

You're welcome.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

owned by noted indigent furry ijyt and his ability to hit the quote button!

You owned yourself long ago. :shobon:

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Gw loves them Dollarydoos.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Xarbala posted:

I'd wait until there's actual rules to read

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thirsty Dog posted:

I'd wait until there's actual rules to read

Hasn't stopped the death thread getting in a hissy fit before.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hixson posted:

Guys, there's a whole lot of mad posting going on in here. Everyone take a deep breath and post something nice! I'll start:

Games Workshop produces games that I have fun playing, and I am appreciative of that :)

This, but ironically. I get upset that a company that I admittedly never engage with does things I find disappointing, but yet I can't stop posting.

:)

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Angry internet thread needs to move goalposts so fast in order to justify remaining angry that now GW is only doing the bare minimum (a.k.a not enough) because they're not offering FULL REFUNDS ON MODELS. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wow that was the wrong thread...

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 25, 2017

• Locked thread