Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

TheWetFish posted:

:ninja:
When did that happen? I did not see that in the 0.8 patch notes. A mod?

Nope, it's vanilla. You might need to find the hull mod in a market, exploring or somewhere in the skills tree though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lowen posted:

Nope, it's vanilla. You might need to find the hull mod in a market, exploring or somewhere in the skills tree though.

Hum, it's not in the skill tree. Could you take a screen cap of it's description, or double check the exact name of it please?

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
Oh man, so I started off with a carrier themed bounty hunter force and ended up switching to exploration half way through. Now I am stuck with either a subpar force to fend off all the enemies I have made or exploring with a ton of fuel guzzlers.

I might restart my run and go a full independent carrier explorer instead of my weird hybrid.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wind Tempest posted:

Oh man, so I started off with a carrier themed bounty hunter force and ended up switching to exploration half way through. Now I am stuck with either a subpar force to fend off all the enemies I have made or exploring with a ton of fuel guzzlers.

I might restart my run and go a full independent carrier explorer instead of my weird hybrid.

Using Ventures?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TheWetFish posted:

Hum, it's not in the skill tree. Could you take a screen cap of it's description, or double check the exact name of it please?

Not all hull mods are enabled through skills. There are a number of them now such as the converted hangar (exact name) that you can only buy or salvage.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

TheWetFish posted:

10/15/20 OP for destroyers/cruisers/capitals.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Had a chance to mess around with 0.8 finally and it's really drat good. I went with a wolf and made a bit of money doing short runs to scan derelicts. Now I have a sizeable force of ships consisting of a pair of mules with survey equipment and a salvage rig, plus a fast carrier and Medusa. The Medusa is a bit superflous since carriers are OP and it takes out most remnants on its own but I'm having a great time surveying and going on long deep space runs. My goal right now is to find some good ships I can restore and build a wolf-pack to start hunting pirates with, most of my points are sadly in support tree's and not a lot of combat.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Bought a mule off the black market in an independent starbase, because gently caress me trying to get an undamaged mule ANYWHERE else. Short time later got pinged by a fleet saying that my own fleet "matched the profile of a smuggler" and requested a scan.

Thankfully I wasn't actually carrying any special cargo or the like, so they couldn't pin anything on me.

Unless by chance my fleet actually was similar to some NPC smuggler, in which case :stare:

Edit: I haven't actually done any smuggling, the ship is the only thing I've bought from the black market.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Rorac posted:

Bought a mule off the black market in an independent starbase, because gently caress me trying to get an undamaged mule ANYWHERE else. Short time later got pinged by a fleet saying that my own fleet "matched the profile of a smuggler" and requested a scan.

Thankfully I wasn't actually carrying any special cargo or the like, so they couldn't pin anything on me.

Unless by chance my fleet actually was similar to some NPC smuggler, in which case :stare:

Edit: I haven't actually done any smuggling, the ship is the only thing I've bought from the black market.

Buying ships on the black market counts as heavy smuggling but the patrols can't tell the difference between a black market ship and any other ship. You can buy as many ships there as you want as long as you don't care about your rep with the faction.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainWinky posted:

10/15/20 OP for destroyers/cruisers/capitals.

Thanks a lot for that. I've added it into the wiki now
http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Hullmod

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is where all that survey/AI money goes. :stare:

I think I’m actually going to fly it like this, at least for a while. The fighter bays still work fine, and I don’t yet need a fully armed and operational battle station.

I was surprised to see the bounty target flying an Astral. I’d been fighting guys with like, one Falcon, and I was not loaded for bear.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Platystemon posted:

This is where all that survey/AI money goes. :stare:

I think I’m actually going to fly it like this, at least for a while. The fighter bays still work fine, and I don’t yet need a fully armed and operational battle station.

I was surprised to see the bounty target flying an Astral. I’d been fighting guys with like, one Falcon, and I was not loaded for bear.
All my capitals are loaded on major defects and it's seriously handy. Makes deploying them cost chump change in supplies so I can use them 24/7

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ErKeL posted:

All my capitals are loaded on major defects and it's seriously handy. Makes deploying them cost chump change in supplies so I can use them 24/7

Deployment cost is overrated.

If you buy supplies for 120 credits, it would take 320 battles to equal that million+ restoration cost.

And I’m eating into my savings somewhat by bringing along a tug so it doesn’t drag down my fleet’s burn speed.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
whats the difference between universal and synergy mounts?

also, i've mentioned this a couple days ago, but i'm really really falling in love with the vanilla lineup again. i want all them mods to come out so i can clown on all the fancy newcomers. diable avionics (with all them fighters) will probably be an unholy terror though...

speaking of, i wonder how alex is going to balance carriers. a big part of why they're so brutal now is the new launch mechanics, not the stats of the relevant ships, so i don't know if weakening them is going to accomplish much. that one astral test notwithstanding, you can accomplish a lot just by spamming trashy little wasps provided you have another source of dps in your fleet. maybe higher operating costs per flight deck and some changes to the enemy fleet generator so that it fields more pd?

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 25, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Soup du Journey posted:

whats the difference between universal and synergy mounts?

also, i've mentioned this a couple days ago, but i'm really really falling in love with the vanilla lineup again. i want all them mods to come out so i can clown on all the fancy newcomers. diable avionics (with all them fighters) will probably be an unholy terror though...

speaking of, i wonder how alex is going to balance carriers. a big part of why they're so brutal now is the new launch mechanics, not the stats of the relevant ships, so i don't know if weakening them is going to accomplish much. that one astral test notwithstanding, you can accomplish a lot just by spamming trashy little wasps provided you have another source of dps in your fleet. maybe higher operating costs per flight deck and some changes to the enemy fleet generator so that it fields more pd?

Synergy is, I think, energy/missile, universal is energy/missile/ballistic.

You also have hybrid which is ballistic/energy and composite which is ballistic/missile

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Synergy is, I think, energy/missile, universal is energy/missile/ballistic.

You also have hybrid which is ballistic/energy and composite which is ballistic/missile

:negative:

I've been assuming that Synergy applied some kind of bonus if you matched weapon systems.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
If anyone else is interested in being able to recover remnant ships, it's super easy, just go to the ship_data file in Starsector\starsector-core\data\hulls, and remove the "UNBOARDABLE" from the hint column of any of the ships. You should probably leave the station and mothership alone since those don't function properly without their modules, but everything else seems to work perfectly fine.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

lol what??

Remnant is angry at me for BREAKING THE LAW

This just makes me curious as to what would happen if I used the console mod to make myself friendly with the remnants.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Although you can equip them in missions, there are no terminator drone lpc's in the actual game, right? Beyond the integral one on the tempest, I mean

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

a tempest is a terminator drone that comes with a bonus frigate hull

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Holy poo poo I found a doom class derelict, and all that's wrong with it is it's phase cloak system is a bit damaged. gently caress yes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there a way to respec your character ?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There's the "start new game" option :shrug:

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
The console mod let's you respec.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Fighter testing continues. Ran each twice and took an average of the time. Once again this is with an Astral with the fighter mods, no skills and against an Eagle.

Talon 6 - 46s
Talon 5 Broadsword 1 - 56s
Talon 4 Broadsword 2 - 57s
Talon 3 Broadsword 3 - 75s

Warthogs 6 - 45s
Warthogs 5 Broadsword 1 - 41s
Warthogs 4 Broadsword 2 - 44s

Warthogs 5 Talon 1 - 48s
Warthogs 4 Talon 2 - 53s

Warthogs 2 Broadswords 2 Talons 2 - 57s

Some factors to consider. Engagement range. Interceptors like the Broadsword, Talon and Gladius will engage much sooner than Warthogs. So mixing Talons into a Warthogs fleet will make them take longer to arrive at the target since it'll be tied up further away.

Broadswords seem to help marginally with Warthogs but honestly, I just think they're garbage pants. The Warthogs generate enough Flux with their guns and the PD firing back that they'll do fine on their own. Talons just crush because have a lot of shots going out and the Swarmers will wreck the back end of a ship enough for Vulcans to shine.

Broadsword 4 Trident 2 - I loving gave up after the Tridents got blown up for the second time on the second run. Was like 118s the first time.
Broadsword 4 Dagger 2 - jesus stop loving dying you shits. 2 minutes and it's still there.
Broadsword 4 Flash Bomber 2 - do these things know how to aim their bombs no.
Broadsword 4 Khopesh 2 - kill me now
Broadsword 4 Longbow 2 - finally they can hit their target. But they don't do any damage with their bombs so why bother. I gave up after 120s.
Broadsword 4 Piranha 2 - I envy the dead

I tried out some Thunders mixed with Longbow and various bombers and found that that worked. Except it still took longer than just 6 wings of Talons and now I absolutely hate bombers.

Long story short. 6 Talon wings is good, 6 Lux is good, 6 Spark is good, and 6 Warthogs is good. Or 5 Warthogs with a Broadsword for fun.

Everything else is hot garbage. If you like Bombers that's your own fun but I think I'll stick with solid fighter wings.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rorac posted:

Holy poo poo I found a doom class derelict, and all that's wrong with it is it's phase cloak system is a bit damaged. gently caress yes.

Do let us know how that goes; you've found an amazing super weapon with a tiny insignificant flaw. The space opera practically writes itself! What are you going to name it?

By the by is that flaw Phase Coil Instability? Chuck me a screen grab when you've got a second and I'll add it into the chronically obsolete wiki

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Brainbread posted:

Fighter testing continues. Ran each twice and took an average of the time. Once again this is with an Astral with the fighter mods, no skills and against an Eagle.

Talon 6 - 46s
Talon 5 Broadsword 1 - 56s
Talon 4 Broadsword 2 - 57s
Talon 3 Broadsword 3 - 75s

Warthogs 6 - 45s
Warthogs 5 Broadsword 1 - 41s
Warthogs 4 Broadsword 2 - 44s

Warthogs 5 Talon 1 - 48s
Warthogs 4 Talon 2 - 53s

Warthogs 2 Broadswords 2 Talons 2 - 57s

Some factors to consider. Engagement range. Interceptors like the Broadsword, Talon and Gladius will engage much sooner than Warthogs. So mixing Talons into a Warthogs fleet will make them take longer to arrive at the target since it'll be tied up further away.

Broadswords seem to help marginally with Warthogs but honestly, I just think they're garbage pants. The Warthogs generate enough Flux with their guns and the PD firing back that they'll do fine on their own. Talons just crush because have a lot of shots going out and the Swarmers will wreck the back end of a ship enough for Vulcans to shine.

Broadsword 4 Trident 2 - I loving gave up after the Tridents got blown up for the second time on the second run. Was like 118s the first time.
Broadsword 4 Dagger 2 - jesus stop loving dying you shits. 2 minutes and it's still there.
Broadsword 4 Flash Bomber 2 - do these things know how to aim their bombs no.
Broadsword 4 Khopesh 2 - kill me now
Broadsword 4 Longbow 2 - finally they can hit their target. But they don't do any damage with their bombs so why bother. I gave up after 120s.
Broadsword 4 Piranha 2 - I envy the dead

I tried out some Thunders mixed with Longbow and various bombers and found that that worked. Except it still took longer than just 6 wings of Talons and now I absolutely hate bombers.

Long story short. 6 Talon wings is good, 6 Lux is good, 6 Spark is good, and 6 Warthogs is good. Or 5 Warthogs with a Broadsword for fun.

Everything else is hot garbage. If you like Bombers that's your own fun but I think I'll stick with solid fighter wings.

This is pretty interesting. Maybe try Talons against a stock Venture or a Dominator speced for armour. I'm wondering how heavily the minimum armour damage reduction changes will hurt the Talon's vulcan to hull dps.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

TheWetFish posted:

This is pretty interesting. Maybe try Talons against a stock Venture or a Dominator speced for armour. I'm wondering how heavily the minimum armour damage reduction changes will hurt the Talon's vulcan to hull dps.

Vulcans already do 25% damage to armor so they'd still be hitting it for like. 1. If you wanna test it just go to the missions, grab an Astral refit it and Run a Simulation against a Venture. Once there is a hole in the armor they'll chew it's health through that super quick. But you'll probably need to to help them get there.

But that goes for pretty much all the fighters.

(Armor caps at 85% DR without skills so it's whatever a vulcan is *0.85*0.25 per shot.)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This is really useful data and you should post it on the Starsector forums for Alex to see.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Khopesh bombers seem to do the most damage to my fleet, and on that basis I figure they can’t be too bad.

TheWetFish posted:

By the by is that flaw Phase Coil Instability? Chuck me a screen grab when you've got a second and I'll add it into the chronically obsolete wiki

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Decided to take on a fortress, was very cool to see how it was implemented. The moment I got into weapons range it was clear I was hosed, the thing has massive range and a bunch of fighters.
Then my fighters washed over it like a cleansing tide. All it's attention was re-directed at the fighters allowing my ships to surround and pound quickly destroying it. God drat fighters are OP as gently caress right now.

Fighting stations is also super fun, I wish there was more like this. Like huge capital ships and even bigger stations you fight in parts.

Thanks for all the fighter spergin. It's showing that not only are fighters unbalanced as a weapon class, but there seems to be massive unbalance between fighter types.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 25, 2017

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Kenshin posted:

This is really useful data and you should post it on the Starsector forums for Alex to see.

Its very scientific with n=2 for most of the stuff. So not at all. I might mod my game so Broadswords have Dual MG's instead.

Mostly it's that Beam fighters are crap, Broadswords could be better, and bombers are only good if you micromanage them and only if they could hit poo poo
And Gladius are crap too.

I might make a post. (Edit I did)

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 25, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I wanna skip this tutorial :(

How long is it? Im just about to jump into a wormhole for the "first time"

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

buglord posted:

I wanna skip this tutorial :(

How long is it? Im just about to jump into a wormhole for the "first time"

You are very close to done. Just get to Jangala and you are finished.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How are people getting forced into a tutorial? I started a new game on easy and was just started off with a wolf and a salvage ship and left to my own devices.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

How are people getting forced into a tutorial? I started a new game on easy and was just started off with a wolf and a salvage ship and left to my own devices.

First game you start will have the tutorial on - so you just start a 2nd game, and then you can have it off.

The tutorial is awful and confusing and best skipped.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

:shrug: I though the tutorial was not that bad, especially because it gives you a bunch of free ships so you can skip the true hobo phase of the game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

FileNotFound posted:

First game you start will have the tutorial on - so you just start a 2nd game, and then you can have it off.

The tutorial is awful and confusing and best skipped.

The game detected old saves from like last year on my computer still, that probably let me skip it?

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Brainbread posted:

Vulcans already do 25% damage to armor so they'd still be hitting it for like. 1. If you wanna test it just go to the missions, grab an Astral refit it and Run a Simulation against a Venture. Once there is a hole in the armor they'll chew it's health through that super quick. But you'll probably need to to help them get there.

But that goes for pretty much all the fighters.

(Armor caps at 85% DR without skills so it's whatever a vulcan is *0.85*0.25 per shot.)

That is accurate for armour damage. I was thinking more of the new, additional 0.8a changes to hull damage, where 5% of max armour provides damage reduction against hull damage, after the armour has been stripped. 5% of max armour is always present, even when fully stripped

Cheers! Added into the wiki http://starsector.wikia.com/wiki/Hullmod

I'm going to be pretty happy once the Console Commands mod properly updates to the current Starsector version. Until then there's a bunch of information that's painful & buggy to get hold of so if you come across something not in the wiki then pass me a screen grab and I'll do the needful

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I dunno which mod does it, but I downloaded one that creates a Wolf variant that ditches the 2nd medium energy hard point for a fighter bay carrying an interceptor drone and holy poo poo! I have a pack of 6 of these guys, three on each wing, and they specialize in running down fleeing enemies or tying people up. The AI absolutely cannot handle fighters. Plus I can still phase shift around!

e: It's Raccoon's Arms Pack. Adds a bunch of variant vanilla ships.

This guy is a little god. Built in high resolution sensors and a drone buddy.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 25, 2017