Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Those essays on the comic industry are very long but if you're at all interested in the industry they're really worth a read, the first one is kinda shocking if you didn't know how sales work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Looks like Delta have found a way to be worse than United

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Sunswipe posted:

I really miss the days when all the backstory you needed to a comic was something like "After seeing his parents murdered as a child, billionaire Bruce Wayne devotes his life to fighting crime as... THE BATMAN!" and maybe a recap of the previous issue.

Were you born in the 1950s? it hasn't been that way in forever, and no one under 60 should be thinking this.

Let me tell you about Earth 1 and Earth 2 Batmans, and how Earth 1 Batman was the modern Batman, while while Earth 2 was the Golden Age era Earth, and Earth 2 Batman was actually dead and had a daughter with Catwoman named Huntress, who was later added to Earth 1 as a completely unrelated character. And this was 30 years ago (Crisis on Infinite Earths, great read!).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It almost makes you wish for a crying kid.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

It almost makes you wish for a crying kid.

I would seriously be upset. It could be basically any musician and I would be upset. You don't do this poo poo with a captive audience that can't object and is trapped there for at least 4 hours.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

I really miss the days when all the backstory you needed to a comic was something like "After seeing his parents murdered as a child, billionaire Bruce Wayne devotes his life to fighting crime as... THE BATMAN!" and maybe a recap of the previous issue.

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that they made it that the Waynes died as part of a conspiracy to create the batman. Is that true because that would be incredibly dumb?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Chop Sunni posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that they made it that the Waynes died as part of a conspiracy to create the batman. Is that true because that would be incredibly dumb?

It's pretty much impossible to say what did or didn't happen in comics anymore. Superhero comics like to act like they have this intricate canon but the reality is writers just reference and ignore things as is convienant to whatever story they want to tell.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Chop Sunni posted:

You might be thinking of the Batman the Animated Series spinoff Batman Beyond, which is basically "teenage Batman in a cyberpunk dystopia"

And if I recall correctly, the shadowy government conspiracy was to make sure that there would be a true successor to Batman when Bruce Wayne kicks the bucket. With the conspiracy going so far as genetic manipulation to make Bruce Wayne secretly the kid's genetic father, and nearly killing the kid's parents at the same age.

And if I recall too, they call-off the assassination becuase "Batman wouldn't kill somebody, also Batman would think this is hosed up too." But the kid's dad dies anyways and then trains under Bruce to be a teenage Batman in a cyberpunk dystopia.

It is incredibly dumb, but the episode is considered one of the better episodes in the DC animated universe.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

umalt posted:

And if I recall too, they call-off the assassination becuase "Batman wouldn't kill somebody, also Batman would think this is hosed up too." But the kid's dad dies anyways and then trains under Bruce to be a teenage Batman in a cyberpunk dystopia.

It is incredibly dumb, but the episode is considered one of the better episodes in the DC animated universe.

The whole silly plot is worth it for the gag about Batman leaving his cum all over Gotham.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I wonder what hilarious marketing fuckups are waiting in the thr--

I love this place

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The whole silly plot is worth it for the gag about Batman leaving his cum all over Gotham.

Can I get this in a GIF?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4JI81SNsxA

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thank you for that, and thank you for batspunk.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

An easier comic to market would be something new that's stand-alone, or limited. It has a beginning, middle, and end. Watchmen got so much praise all-round because it's easier to digest than other superhero comics as it lasts a deliberate 12 issues and requires no pre-existing knowledge (Mention those prequels and I will kill you). Pluto is one of the best mangas ever and it finished at a brief eight volumes and all you need to know is Astro Boy is in it, except he keeps his clothes and he doesn't have a machine gun in his arse.

Somebody from BYOB is actually posting Pluto alongside The World's Greatest Robot (the plotline it was based on) in the webcomics megathread. It's pretty interesting seeing how different the experience is for someone who read Astro Boy vs. someone going in blind. Of course, Pluto is definitely one of the exceptions.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Were you born in the 1950s? it hasn't been that way in forever, and no one under 60 should be thinking this.

Let me tell you about Earth 1 and Earth 2 Batmans, and how Earth 1 Batman was the modern Batman, while while Earth 2 was the Golden Age era Earth, and Earth 2 Batman was actually dead and had a daughter with Catwoman named Huntress, who was later added to Earth 1 as a completely unrelated character. And this was 30 years ago (Crisis on Infinite Earths, great read!).

TIL it's impossible to read old comic books.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sunswipe posted:

TIL it's impossible to read old comic books.

New audiences can't really be bothered to spend a week catching up.

There's a reason the new Star Wars movies spend so little time referencing old poo poo. Nobody wants to sit through six decade old movies, and read dozen of terrible novels, just so they can understand the new movie that just came out. They'd rather just not see the movie.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

the new Star Wars movies spend so little time referencing old poo poo

Did we see the same loving movies, or is that just the joke?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
"but how will the new fans know about the rich expanded universe lore behind the creation of Jango Fett's armored codpiece?!"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Eagerly looking forward to the release of Oven Cant.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Phanatic posted:

LIAEN: Oven Cant :colbert:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Literally can't tell what it's supposed to be. I'm assuming its an alien spinoff from the callout and general theme but guess I'm googling who directed the Martian to satisfy my curiosity.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jojoinnit posted:

Literally can't tell what it's supposed to be. I'm assuming its an alien spinoff from the callout and general theme but guess I'm googling who directed the Martian to satisfy my curiosity.

I get the feeling that this advertisement was installed incorrectly :ssh:

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Jesus I'm stupid :doh: thanks guys

I honestly considered it was some kind of French movie or just a bad sci-fi name.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
lmao liaennnn

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Now I kind of want to write a screenplay for LIAEN : Oven Can't. Someone find me a macbook, a Starbuck and a moleskin notebook!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What the gently caress is a Coven Ant?!

edit:

I'm assuming something like this

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Apr 26, 2017

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A bunch of really small witches that get into your jam at a picnic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

I get the feeling that this advertisement was installed incorrectly :ssh:

And less dumb moves in marketing and more "lazy person at work"

:thejoke::goonsay:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:

Things like this are why I keep coming back.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Simon the giant bunny found dead after United Airlines flight

A British bunny with a chance to become the world’s largest died on a United Airlines flight.

Simon, a 3-foot giant continental rabbit from breeder Annette Edwards, was reportedly en route to a new celebrity owner before being found dead after a flight from London Heathrow to Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport.

It was not immediately clear when or why the rabbit, whose dad Darius has repeatedly made headlines for being the world’s largest bunny at more than 4-feet long and roughly 50 pounds, died.

“Simon had a vet’s check-up three hours before the flight and was fit as a fiddle,” Edwards told The Sun Tuesday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/simon-giant-bunny-dies-aboard-united-airlines-flight-article-1.3100979

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:

Now by the pricking of my mandibles,
Something wicked this way shambles.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Lime Tonics posted:

Simon the giant bunny found dead after United Airlines flight

A British bunny with a chance to become the world’s largest died on a United Airlines flight.

Simon, a 3-foot giant continental rabbit from breeder Annette Edwards, was reportedly en route to a new celebrity owner before being found dead after a flight from London Heathrow to Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport.

It was not immediately clear when or why the rabbit, whose dad Darius has repeatedly made headlines for being the world’s largest bunny at more than 4-feet long and roughly 50 pounds, died.

“Simon had a vet’s check-up three hours before the flight and was fit as a fiddle,” Edwards told The Sun Tuesday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/simon-giant-bunny-dies-aboard-united-airlines-flight-article-1.3100979

Dear United,

Did you gently caress with a Gypsy?

Signed,

The angry-come-bemused public.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Dear United,

Did you gently caress with a Gypsy?

Signed,

The angry-come-bemused public.

Is there anyone a major airline hasn't hosed with at this point?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

FrozenVent posted:

Is there anyone a major airline hasn't hosed with at this point?

QANTAS has been cutting corners in maintenance for their planes (so I've heard), so they can be with the cool kids whose planes fail and crash.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

FrozenVent posted:

Now I kind of want to write a screenplay for LIAEN : Oven Can't. Someone find me a macbook, a Starbuck and a moleskin notebook!

I like to think it's a legal thriller, starring Tom Hanks as a Polish oven salesman who gets sued for selling defective ovens.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sounds like a real gas.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Sounds like gas.

Much like your posting.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

FrozenVent posted:

id laugh at this if I didn't know it was completely earnest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Double Punctuation posted:

Somebody from BYOB is actually posting Pluto alongside The World's Greatest Robot (the plotline it was based on) in the webcomics megathread. It's pretty interesting seeing how different the experience is for someone who read Astro Boy vs. someone going in blind. Of course, Pluto is definitely one of the exceptions.

This is also in great part to the fact that Urasawa is one of the greatest comic writers of all time. Very few, if any comics are as good as Monster or 20th Century Boys, and he has an absolute knack for taking something that shouldn't work at all and making it into an impressive work of art. The fact that he wrote a comic that's this insane rambling combination of Stephen King novels (well, mainly IT and The Stand) mixed with this intense nostalgia driven narrative exploration of the culture of post war Japan from the fears of radiation, to the 80's bubble economy to Aum and the fact that it's amazing is almost unbelievable. It explores the ideas of nostalgia, obsession, geekdom and what exactly it means to be a normal person and how normal people can do great things in a way that I think a lot of comics and manga are afraid to do because actual critical analysis of nerd and geek culture isn't really a thing that's allowed in mainstream nerd focused media because those people are extremely adverse to the idea that any part of their lifestyle could be negative. It's how we got the Scott Pilgrim film which just takes an intense dribbling poo poo all over the things that made the comic actually good or interesting.