Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

god, estocs in pvp are infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
youre missing something but its pretty boring anyway so not much.

edit:

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I haven't paid much attention to the dlc lore, could that be the one midir crawled out of?

its velkas egg.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
velka, did you lay this egg?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All I know is that the egg sure isn't pickle pee, nor is it pump-a-rum :colbert:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Your Computer posted:

All I know is that the egg sure isn't pickle pee, nor is it pump-a-rum :colbert:

Of course not, I'm pump-a-rum.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You approach the Statue of Velka..

"Caw, caw! Give me sin. Give me curse! Caw.":parrot:

Turns out Velka was actually just another trading crow :ms:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Velka was added in translating to cover up all the mistakes they made.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
:eng101: "Veh 'uhl - kh~ah" actually means "placeholder, fill this in later - note from the editor" in drangleic

Iretep posted:

its velkas egg.
lore: she hid it for easter a while ago, but hollowed are incredibly bad at finding things

edit: on the topic of lore clowns: Vaati was playing coop with criken on stream recently (doing their kinda cringy in-character youtube thing) and a pair of hackers streamsnipe-invaded them and showed off some fancy broken effects (starts https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137922146?t=02h51m11s for about 7-8 minutes). Didn't see tallgeese's name, but how much can that stuff gently caress up your local savegame? Is DS1's de-leveling back (people are still insanely paranoid about that poo poo), or can they hide inconsistencies in your save that'll eventually trigger a softban on FROMs end?

I usually hope for the best but for all i know FROM might as well give remote clients root access.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 25, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

quote:

doing their kinda cringy in-character youtube thing)

The gently caress

Also Velka absolves your sins for money and that speaks for itself.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

that is some straight-up indulgence doctrine velka

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
"Perhaps the same could be said of all religions..."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'm not sure if the currency being literal souls makes the world more or less in need of the Protestant reformation

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Quick question, how does Ringed City compare to Ashes of Ariandel? I was kinda disappointed in the previous DLC, and honestly I'm not a big fan of DS3 so I'm wondering if I should just save my cash and replay Bloodborne / DS2 or whatever other game

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

texting my ex posted:

Quick question, how does Ringed City compare to Ashes of Ariandel? I was kinda disappointed in the previous DLC, and honestly I'm not a big fan of DS3 so I'm wondering if I should just save my cash and replay Bloodborne / DS2 or whatever other game

its a lot better than AoA but the ds3 dlc is probably still the weakest of em all.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I hated AoA and loved Ringed City. Cool areas, gear, and bosses. Thought it wrapped up the franchise in a good way. Also has the best quest line in the series.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Asylum Demon was Velka

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
"My child. You've sinned deeply. Your soul is drenched in sin. You must be punished."

"Hey HOW BOUT I give you a bunch of other souls and you just punish those ones and leave me alone"

"Eh, ok. Say three Hail Gwyneveres and you're good."

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Rough Lobster posted:

"My child. You've sinned deeply. Your soul is drenched in sin. You must be punished."

"Hey HOW BOUT I give you a bunch of other souls and you just punish those ones and leave me alone"

"Eh, ok. Say three Hail Gwyneveres and you're good."

Gorgeous chest ahead.

Try holding with both hands.

Try tongue but hole.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Augus posted:

The Asylum Demon was Velka

But what am giant crow? WHAT AM?!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Brain In A Jar posted:

With the changes to hollowing/luck and bleed scaling in the last patch, do we now know how much luck contributes to bleed stacking?

I'm playing around with some blood gem weapons but I can't decide if it's worth going hollow/stacking luck anymore.

Bleed is only good with the blood infusion it seems. So the luck improvement doesn't really matter because luck is only good with the hollow infusion.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I'm late to the party with Ashes of Ariandel; I just bought it, fought Sister Friede and defeated all 3 stages on my first attempt without any summons I don't think I'll ever be able to repeat that trick again :stare:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Congrats youre a mega bad rear end

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Velka lets me reset the Spears fight without having to fight my way past a phalanx of bullshit so she's cool in my book

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

So.i just found out those giant handapotamuses eat some of your souls when they grab you.

E: also punching them is the worst way to kill them. Kukri's do wonders.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RoadCrewWorker posted:

edit: on the topic of lore clowns: Vaati was playing coop with criken on stream recently (doing their kinda cringy in-character youtube thing) and a pair of hackers streamsnipe-invaded them and showed off some fancy broken effects (starts https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137922146?t=02h51m11s for about 7-8 minutes). Didn't see tallgeese's name, but how much can that stuff gently caress up your local savegame?

I know who the one who was laying down was, he's completely harmless and well-meaning. He was showing off the method to become a walking sun.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 25, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

So.i just found out those giant handapotamuses eat some of your souls when they grab you.

E: also punching them is the worst way to kill them. Kukri's do wonders.

They are really weak to bleed. I find most corpulent enemies are vulreble to bleed in the series.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They are really weak to bleed. I find most corpulent enemies are vulreble to bleed in the series.

The harald knights can't be bled. Can't be backstabbed either. Truly they are the ultimate fatties.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Internet Kraken posted:

The harald knights can't be bled. Can't be backstabbed either. Truly they are the ultimate fatties.

They die in one hit when you land on them like Scrooge McDuck, though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ARGH how does one deal with the fume ultra twinblades or whatever the gently caress? (pvp)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

double nine posted:

ARGH how does one deal with the fume ultra twinblades or whatever the gently caress? (pvp)

Roll backwards, crossbow or pyro the gently caress out of them when they're doing the big spin-jump

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the more fun option is still to poise thru their attacks with a talisman L2 and sunlight spear them for huge damage(please get high faith and miracle boosting rings before doing this)

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Roll backwards, crossbow or pyro the gently caress out of them when they're doing the big spin-jump

The poise boost it gets is insane. I've hit someone with a full Splitleaf weapon art after the original thrust and it still hasn't staggered them.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

double nine posted:

I've had good luck dealing with all ultra and dual weapons with heavy armor and a Perseverance weapon.

I've been clowning on dudes with my new punch man build (deleted the old one by accident). I've refined the build so much. It's probably the most fun I've ever had in a Souls Game. 50 VIG, working towards 50 VIT, 30 END, all others at 10. I've only used the Raw Caestus, which does pretty reasonable damage without any damage stat investment. It also weighs nothing so I can strap on the biggest, fattest armor (currently using a sexy combination of Smough legs and arms with Lapp helmet and chest), and a nice support shield on my back.

With RoF+3, Life Ring, and Embered status I have 1916 HP. I can attack 10 to 14 times in a row without stopping and if I get someone in a corner I'll do just that. I have 46% physical absorption across the board using the Ring of Steel+3. Using Perseverance jumps that up to about 70% (slightly less for magic/fire etc) for a few seconds. If I combine that with Lloyd's Shield Ring, I can hit 76% which is sure to take the wind out of anyone's first strike. Did I mention I haven't even found Havel's yet? I just best Gundyr in record time without dodging, running, or blocking. Just stood there and wailed on him while spamming Perseverance, and I only had to use one Estus flask.

Like I said I do really well in PVP against big weapons and people who like to swing a ton of times with straight swords. I only really struggle against smart opponents who play super cautiously and never take risks.

If you're tired of feeling weak and flismy and not being able to take more than two or three hits I really recommend it. I feel like a walking god.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I heard that ring of steel protection provides way less absorption against players than against enemies. I haven't verified that for myself but I wouldn't be shocked considering how strong +3 is.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Are those Red Tearstone+Morion's Blade builds good for anything except for super gimmicky PvP? It seems like there's just too much that can go wrong or catch you off-guard to make the reward match the risk. Am I just not thinking with portals?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Time_pants posted:

Are those Red Tearstone+Morion's Blade builds good for anything except for super gimmicky PvP? It seems like there's just too much that can go wrong or catch you off-guard to make the reward match the risk. Am I just not thinking with portals?

PvP wise they are insanely bad for anything other than 1v1s and gank squads. Even in a 1v1 its extremely risky if you're playing against someone that knows how the build works. Gank squads have the advantage of numbers and its a lot harder to kill one single person when they have dedicated body guards.

IronicDongz posted:

I heard that ring of steel protection provides way less absorption against players than against enemies. I haven't verified that for myself but I wouldn't be shocked considering how strong +3 is.

Its worthless in PvP.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Everything is worthless in DaS 3 PvP. You use one of the four or five meme weapons of the week or you get wrecked by an unbreakable combo the moment a hit connects.

When's the next Return to Drangelic event because I'm itching for some PvP that isn't total garbage

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
The only thing viable in pvp is the Black Crystal and maybe the carvings.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I saw a video for the surge on facebook is there a thread for it since its a souls knock off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

there are awesome pvp weapons in almost every weapon class, and unless you're going for the incredibly boring "have to win at all cost" mentality there are few weapons that are actually bad for killing people

the ""pvp weapon tier"" list mostly matters in 1v1 hornorable dueels which is the worst kind of pvp