Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

For gently caress's sake, you guys.

Still better posts than Spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I wish i could have an arm-chair like that. The most i was allowed to have was a sofa with cup holders. :negative:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

For gently caress's sake, you guys.

What? That was a pretty decent meltdown.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

:justpost:

We really don't get enough of those these days

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

boviscopophobic posted:

I haven't kept close tabs on the CIG jobs page for a while but they've continually had 50-60 positions listed. After some of the positions started getting conspicuously old (like, early 2015 old) they started reposting them with new dates but few other changes. In fact, I think the number of engineering positions listed is now down from what it was before. But all in all, I wouldn't take that page as much of an indicator of anything.

... except for the descriptions for the Producer positions, which still conspicuously omit Gary Oldman from the "star-studded cast" of SQ42.

Purely hypothetical of course and totally NOT true in any way .
But imagine if Gary Parpman was promised a royalty based on his performance , imagine that he took a slight pay cut for this . Imagine he signed a specific deal for the use of his likeness.
Now imagine that somehow CIG were deemed to have used his image inappropriately. Say like releasing pre-production mocap set ups and unauthored textures of his face etc . Now let’s pretend that CIG have slipped ever so slightly behind with sq42 and those royalties seem less and less likely, even so far as Mr Parpmans original contract clearly specified a date that has now sailed past . Let’s say that Mr Parpman has called his agent ....

Now lets check if Mr Parpmans agent is the same one he had when filming Sq42

Like I said, just a hypotheseis from a low level wig technician that once walked past the LA office

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

CIG need to gently caress up again so the thread stops eating itself.

Ben and his wife should come back to post here. At least there would be enough to eat for a long time.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

EightAce posted:

But imagine if Gary Parpman was promised a royalty based on his performance , imagine that he took a slight pay cut for this . Imagine he signed a specific deal for the use of his likeness.
Now imagine that somehow CIG were deemed to have used his image inappropriately. Say like releasing pre-production mocap set ups and unauthored textures of his face etc . Now let’s pretend that CIG have slipped ever so slightly behind with sq42 and those royalties seem less and less likely, even so far as Mr Parpmans original contract clearly specified a date that has now sailed past . Let’s say that Mr Parpman has called his agent ....

Like I said, just a hypotheseis from a low level wig technician that once walked past the LA office

Well it's definitely true to Chris trying to do everything at once, up to and including all the ways he could conceivably implode his company's finances.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

poor gary parpman

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

poor gary parpman

Well, he might have gotten totally screwed, and had a series of funny pictures made out of his face and be a total laughing stock, but he probably still had a better mocap experience than this guy

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Wuxi posted:

:justpost:

We really don't get enough of those these days

then I shall make it my life's work :patriot:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey 200 posts I wonder what happened

Oh Derek is being Derek and Kiowachief trolled himself into the stone age because he is a J4G

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

EightAce posted:

I've also not heard, through the grapevine, that they were not having problems getting Parpman to do pickups, which may not be related to the above.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, he might have gotten totally screwed, and had a series of funny pictures made out of his face and be a total laughing stock, but he probably still had a better mocap experience than this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb6kfu0LXUk

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
That cafeteria people sitting scene is going to be epic.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Our new neighbors have a dog named Lily and Kayak loves her so much he pushed one of his tennis balls through the fence to give to her. This has nothing to do with Star Citizen but I feel it might be a nice change of pace from KiowaChief obsessing about other peoples' dicks and Derek writing insane von Clausewitz manifestos.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait until you see the guy who had to mocap cleaning the toilets.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Our new neighbors have a dog named Lily and Kayak loves her so much he pushed one of his tennis balls through the fence to give to her. This has nothing to do with Star Citizen but I feel it might be a nice change of pace from KiowaChief obsessing about other peoples' dicks and Derek writing insane von Clausewitz manifestos.

:3:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

The difference being that Lily and Kayak have achieved what CiG aren't able to successfully do - refactoring physics grids through a mesh network

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Kiowa is pretty much ol' yeller, take him behind the shed and do what needs to be done.

(actually I'm pretty sure he's like 15 or whatever so will be a good and valued adult poster by the time the game comes out)

*edit- Derek, use your unique and special set of skills and talents to analyse his posting style and get back to us tia

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

his nibs posted:

The difference being that Lily and Kayak have achieved what CiG aren't able to successfully do - refactoring physics grids through a mesh network

:five:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:gary:

necroid
May 14, 2009

AbstractNapper posted:

That cafeteria people sitting scene is going to be epic.

a funny post in a sea of autism

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

necroid posted:

a funny post in a sea of autism

Welcome to Something Awful, I see you're kinda new here :shobon:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

thatguy posted:

I'm a fan of the play by D1E. He makes a thread about Derek which Derek can't read because he refuses to take D1E off ignore. This leads to Derek attempting to respond with this post but he doesn't actually know what he's responding to so he just starts randomly quoting poo poo. This is more funny than whatever some random FYAD guy would have made in my opinion.

Wot?!?

I wasn't responding to D1E. And you quoted the QCS thread out of context.

I was responding to YOU in this post; which is where I mentioned that I can't read the posts of some people.

quote:

quote:

thatguy posted:
Hey dudes if you want to talk poo poo about Derek here you can just talk poo poo about him. You don't have to be all coy and come into the thread every other day and be like, "Hey Derek how about that thing you said that one time? How's that going? Did the thing happen?" I mean you can if you want... but you don't have to.

Good thing I don't get to see them; seeing as they're all blocked.

All I see from those guys (D1E, big nipples big life et al) is "Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway"

thatguy posted:

He said something critical of Derek a few threads ago and Derek put him on ignore. Usually putting people on ignore is a self-own but in this case it was like a double-own extravaganza where D1E laughs at Derek every now and then but Derek can't see what he said because he actually put him on ignore and every time either of them posts I chuckle.

When someone's sole purpose is to harass you on social media, you block and/or ignore them. It's not hard. That's why those tools - gasp - exist.

And anyone who thinks that's a self-own, is a loving moron who probably abuses and harasses others.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DarkRefreshment posted:

And for some reason Shitizens still believe that if SC ever comes out it won't have a monthly subscription fee. The only way they can keep forking out cash for bandwidth and server time is if they monetize the monthly costs some how. Buying ships in game post release is a big no-no to them too.

When it finally release in June of 2029 and no more copies are sold, the servers will go down by August. And gently caress anyone who thinks that they will ever be able to run a community hosted server like the KS said. They are going to have to do so much computational power with AWS that it will never work outside of that.

They already monetize it via subscriptions which they claim pay for all their Godawful broadcasts. So it stands to reason that if (<--- LOL!! they won't) they survive to an official launch, they will find a way to shoe-in monthly subscriptions by somehow adding new stuff to it in order to get more Spergs to sub. In fact, they already did that when, out of the Blue, they started allowing subscribers access to patch builds after Evocati. So it was Dev -> Evocati -> Subs -> Public

loving scam artists.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i remember leonard skinley this anzac day

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Wot?!?

I wasn't responding to D1E. And you quoted the QCS thread out of context.

I was responding to YOU in this post; which is where I mentioned that I can't read the posts of some people.

Good thing I don't get to see them; seeing as they're all blocked.

All I see from those guys (D1E, big nipples big life et al) is "Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway"

I don't know why but you earnestly typing out big nipples big life is p funny to me

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The two greatest self owns in thread history: leonard skinley and sandi's lucky number

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

The two greatest self owns in thread history: leonard skinley and sandi's lucky number

also branson's real quick spiral into insanity feat. his partner

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

alf_pogs posted:

also branson's real quick spiral into insanity feat. his partner

the star wars version of his meltdown also belongs in the thread hall of fame

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

so they are finally getting rid of LUA for ships but what the heck are they replacing it with? how are ship variables like speed and thrust going to change? are they going to be individually hardcoded? are they going to switch to XML or something?

quote:

Vehicles No Longer Use Lua

This is a huge step forward on the code side.
I'm trying to figure out the benefits of doing that

wtf is it with Chris and Lua:

D_Smart posted:

loving scam artists.
:yeah:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

so they are finally getting rid of LUA for ships but what the heck are they replacing it with? how are ship variables like speed and thrust going to change? are they going to be individually hardcoded? are they going to switch to XML or something?

quote:

quote:
Vehicles No Longer Use Lua

This is a huge step forward on the code side.

I'm trying to figure out the benefits of doing that

There was no benefit in the first place. LUA is a scripting language and isn't that suited for static values/variables. If they switched from XML to LUA; it probably means that they're now going to hard-code those values into the object entity.

For years, I did it in my legacy games by parsing a plain text file into binary data, that's encrypted. Then it's read/loaded once at game startup since it never changes in real-time. I recently released the scripting tools for UCCE 3.0x on Steam, that shows how this works. In LoD, which uses a different game engine, the values are stored in the object entity.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Our new neighbors have a dog named Lily and Kayak loves her so much he pushed one of his tennis balls through the fence to give to her.

OH MY loving GOD THIS IS CUTE.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

OK so some background is necessary here. Chris Roberts is a man living in two times. In one time, it is the 1990's, and he is trying to turn PC gaming into a Hollywood movie. He has never left that time, and never given up on that white whale. Rather than realize that the gaming industry moved on without him, and in fact the "game as movie" days were in fact some of the worst games ever made, he instead thinks that with today's technology he can finally make it happen the way he pictured it back then in his damaged mind.

In the other time, it is the year 2014567 and he views himself as a cross between Steve Jobs and Elon Musk. The culture at CIG is now down to fear and survival. The experienced and confident developers - those who have worked on successful products and shipped titles - have left, due to recognizing that Chris is a complete and total sham. The people trying to make it day to day now have to basically trick a clueless leader into thinking that progress is being made on things that don't exist at all. The best way to make something real to someone stupid is to give it a name.

"Realistic Thruster Modeling" is one of the earliest lies in the project. By telling Chris "Yeah we're getting off LUA for the thruster modeling and moving to something else" they get him off their backs for a few more months, maybe even years, as the "ships" continue to NOCLIP through space with no physics whatsoever.

Switching from Flow Graph to whatever is the same kind of gambit. They had to name their non-existent AI "Subsumption" to make Chris think he invented something. There is no subsumption AI (spoiler alert) but if there was, it would obviously benefit from a super-secret sauce of proprietary doodads, so that's what Chris is told he's gonna get.

The networking aspect here is completely broken as well, so Chris gets more bullshit spat at him in the form of "meshes" and "network 2.0". This is going on constantly. Everyone's job at CIG is to give Chris the impression that he's a visionary inventing things, a movie director and master storyteller, and a brilliant game designer. That's the entire function of every last member of the staff here. There is no game, there are no plans - everything all day every day is a mad rush to put a new coat of paint on yesterday's failures, and come up with a new word or new concept that will be credited with being able to overcome "blockers" (such as nothing working) and accelerate the pace of development.

That's why all these buzzwords are accompanied by phrases such as "implementation time to achieve a desired effect has been cut dramatically" and "This is a huge step forward on the code side." Boots on the ground at CIG aren't trying to fool the public - they're trying to keep their jobs by continually fooling Chris. Sure, Chris: you're single-handedly creating the AI singularity while simultaneously eclipsing Moore's Law and also recreating an entire industry from the ground up through the sheer force of your extra chromosome. Here's some Subsumption, some Netcode 2.0, and a side-order of Fidelity.

:same:

This is PRECISELY what I think is going on; which is why he is patently clueless about what's going on in his project. People tell him what he wants to hear/believe, just to keep him off their backs and keep their jobs that much longer.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

its unbelievable. they license out an engine and have to re-write the renderer, the phsyics engine, the entire networking stack, the AI, all the toolchains (er "pipelines") for creating gameplay functionality, maps, animations, and other assets.

maybe, just MAYBE, they chose the wrong engine?

pretty much the only thing they haven't (claimed) to have re-written from cryengine is the patcher. which is the one thing that needs to get updated.

It's almost as if they picked the wrong engine for the games :grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

HycoCam posted:

And I'm right there with Derek. Someone accuses my wife of working at 3000AD--I'd be wanting some vengeance too!

Wait!! Wot!?!? Hey!! :argh:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:five::five::five::five:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

alf_pogs posted:

i remember leonard skinley this anzac day

#lessweforget