Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

crossposting this from the limited thread. Went 2-1 on this just now, losing against a solid B/W aggro zombies deck.

also, can one not buy amonkhet packs directly on MTGO right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i cant log onto mtgo at all it just fails when trying to log on :(

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

also, can one not buy amonkhet packs directly on MTGO right now?
The set doesn't officially release until the weekend.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Not sure if anyone has said this yet or not.... but printing a premium Counterbalance and then banning Top reminds me of the time they put Stoneforge Mystic in an Event deck and then promptly banned it in Standard.

Also, Legacy has been dead for a while now. Long live the one true Modern King!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

My plan is to use black border precise fits for my unlimited basics, and white border for every other card in the deck.

Yes. They're technically borderfy precise fit white border. They're sold out everywhere that I can find and the maker doesn't ship to North America yet. If you can find the white border precise fits and ship them to Canada, send me that link!

My plan is to use them in conjunction with those ultra guard sleeves that have the matte black inside.

Which would ideally lead to T1 playing a black bordered basic that uses the word "tap" on it, and using that to cast a white bordered judge foil noble hierarch that has a tiny black outline around it from the ultra guard sleeve.

I assume at that point my opponent scoops in rage.

FYI someone is gonna give you a hard time about using two different types of precise fits in one deck and try to get you DQ'd or whatever. No idea what the rules are for having different sleeves are if the insides look different but the backsides all look the same but be prepared to tell some grog, and possible a judge, why these aren't marked cards.

Personally, I think they're cool and funny.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao at banning top instead of terminus

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao at banning top instead of terminus

WotC doesn't like trying to nerf decks (unless that deck is modern storm.) They just ban the whole deck and congratulate themselves on a good job. If we get enough people who don't play the format to whine on social media and twitch chat maybe we can get it unbanned.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
What's Vintage going to look like without the Mentor decks?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Like the deck used to be called "counter top" and not "miracles" you'd think that'd be a clue as to what exactly changed it from "a deck that can struggle to beat a Canadian Threshold curve of nimble mongoose into werebear" into an overpowered chore.

Hmmm I wonder what it could have been?

I love storm so hooray for me, but goddamn Wizards at least ask three dudes who play the format before making decisions

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Top should always be banned for reasons beyond power level.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I could see that in a format like modern but in legacy with brainstorms and fetches and tutors galore I think the argument is pretty weak about it slowing down the game

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Siivola posted:

The set doesn't officially release until the weekend.

It's fully out on mtgo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Maybe if this game bothered to enforce slow play rules that might not have been a problem

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The only format where Top is acceptable is commander, and that's because the people playing it are already slow as gently caress.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Also you can shortcut it in a way you can't in a tournament. Just sort your three on the next player's turn and then if anything relevant happens to make you need something else do it again. Then you aren't doing it right before your turn and holding everyone up.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This. There are few cards less fun to play against

vvv this guy gets it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe if this game bothered to enforce slow play rules that might not have been a problem

But the reality is that it's not enforced and even if it was, Top would STILL be a gameplay nightmare.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Humanity was a mistake

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
the only people who are upset about top's banning are the assholes that made playing against it a chore

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Just drafted my first AKH deck, and I'm reasonably happy with the fact I got two Faith of the Devoted plus nine minimum cycling cards.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Bring back Top so I can spin it with Bob!!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I can't stop laughing at WotC printing masterpiece counterbalance then banning top in that set's B&R update.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

the only people who are upset about top's banning are the assholes that made playing against it a chore

I can be annoyed that a bunch of people who don't play a format got a card/deck banned even if I've never played that deck. Especially when it's not the first time it happened.

Real questions: How many of you people who are so happy about Top's banning actually play legacy? How many play only or primarily legacy? How many complained about Top before AVR was released?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Miracles was my primary deck for years but I haven't played it for about a year now after the shops that did legacy FNM stopped running it. And I'd rather not play with the legacy grognards at the other shop that has weekly legacy events. :shrug: I have stoneblade and ANT if I cared enough to play legacy again.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't care less about legacy as long as the reserved list remains a thing. I'm upset that I actually chose to build a Commander deck because I found a solid group of guys, and I decided to make Leovold my man.

If they get rid of the reserved list and allow legacy to be affordable I would love the format.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I can be annoyed that a bunch of people who don't play a format got a card/deck banned even if I've never played that deck. Especially when it's not the first time it happened.

Real questions: How many of you people who are so happy about Top's banning actually play legacy? How many play only or primarily legacy? How many complained about Top before AVR was released?

[citation needed]

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Steve blames VSL and its mutant vintage meta game for the restriction that knocked out shops. I have no personal clue on accuracy of that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just wait, they'll restrict Ichorid next.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

suicidesteve posted:

I played miracles and am not happy about the ban.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've never played Legacy and don't care about the Top banning, hope this helps with the data collection.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think the top ban will do bad things to the metagame until/unless another extremely powerful hard control deck pops up.

It was also the right thing from a "stop spinning top and waiting 30 seconds, you literally did it a phase ago and all I did was pass" perspective, and if legacy turns out okay, it might end up a net benefit, but I kinda doubt that'll be the case. I don't actually know, obviously, but I thought legacy was fine as is, and killing miracles wasn't a good thing.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 25, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The complete lack of a control deck now might be a bit of a problem for the format.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ANT is cool and good, not seeing the problem here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The complete lack of a control deck now might be a bit of a problem for the format.

The most played deck at the last big Legacy tourney other than Miracles was the 4 color Leovold deck. It's a control deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

But you can play Stoneforge and Deathrite and call your midrange deck a control deck!!! It works so well in modern.

mcmagic posted:

The most played deck at the last big Legacy tourney other than Miracles was the 4 color Leovold deck. It's a control deck.

Lol

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Real True Control Decks would never play a creature that can damage the opponent. It's unseemly. The only win condition for an honorable control deck is to wait for your opponent to die of old age.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

But you can play Stoneforge and Deathrite and call your midrange deck a control deck!!! It works so well in modern.

Lol

Miracles was more of a prison deck than a control deck anyway...

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I want to win with an old-school blue permission deck that wins with Misthollow Griffin cast from exile after I RFG it to pay for Misdirection. I know it's a bad idea.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

I haven't been able to play Legacy since 2013, but the ban should have been for Terminus so Counter Top could still live.

But I think that the same people that play with Top slowly in Miracles would be just as miserable with it in Counter Top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

I want to win with an old-school blue permission deck that wins with Misthollow Griffin cast from exile after I RFG it to pay for Misdirection. I know it's a bad idea.

I have good news for you, there's a midrange deck that does that

Well I mean, it actually kills with Walking Ballista, but it still does stuff like that

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15291&d=292949&f=LE