Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'll be there running Grixis Delver, Aggro Loam, or Grixis Reanimator depending on what I get the most reps in with beforehand. Definitely up for testing via XMage or Cockatrice or something.

Joe Lossett of all people pointed out on Twitter that Blood Moon just got a LOT better, which may cause Sneak Attack decks to come back?

yeah i thought about that too. mono red was already doing things before the miracles ban, and I cannot imagine miracles was a good matchup for it

and yeah i'll be in Mt. Goon a little more to try and get testing in on xmage. I have grixis delver put together already but I just don't feel like playing it. What's the red for in Grixis Reanimator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Johnny Landmine posted:

Even as a 12 Post player, I may actually be more upset that I never got around to sleeving up Thought Lash combo for one more night of laughter and explaining what my cards do before it died than I am about Miracles. And losing Top for Post itself, but I'm pretty sure Miracles biting the dust hurts Post way more than losing Top did. Looks like it's time to pivot to Colorless Green Post for giggles and finally get around to building Lands.

I still can't believe they were dumb enough to ban Top instead of Terminus but enh actually I totally can.

I think people get the wrong impression. This was less about Miracles being oppressive and more about top being obnoxious with 90% of players.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

What's the red for in Grixis Reanimator?

It's kind of a midway point between the other re-animator styles. The red is mostly for Faithless Looting and Dack Fayden, so you can more aggressively bin cards like BR while still having counters and selection like UB. It also allows SB options like Pyroclasm/Blast. Here's the list:

https://deckbox.org/sets/1610145

I'm not sure it's better than either of the two-color variants, but I think it's a lot more fun.

Edit: In fact, now that Miracles is out, BR Reanimator might lose a lot of its advantage, as it was exploiting a gap in the metagame where people were overcorrecting their sideboards.

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 25, 2017

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Guess who has two thumbs and just bought elves. Hot tip for those of you down for a good spec, people are selling SP+ cradles for ~$120 on MKM.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The March Hare posted:

Guess who has two thumbs and just bought elves. Hot tip for those of you down for a good spec, people are selling SP+ cradles for ~$120 on MKM.

So what you're saying is I should run engineered plague.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

EvilBeard posted:

I think people get the wrong impression. This was less about Miracles being oppressive and more about top being obnoxious with 90% of players.

I get that that was part of it, but I also think it's dumb to ban a card because some people are bad at Magic.

Also not that I doubt it happens but geez, did I just luck out and get the only local scene where almost everyone could Top in a reasonable amount of time?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Landmine posted:

I get that that was part of it, but I also think it's dumb to ban a card because some people are bad at Magic.

Also not that I doubt it happens but geez, did I just luck out and get the only local scene where almost everyone could Top in a reasonable amount of time?

Nope. I drew 2 matches ever with Miracles. One was literally his 2nd match with the deck and he refused to concede despite being dead on board with the most absurd sequence of draws (which he didn't have) being necessary to not die on my next turn. And he had taken about 80% of the time in the match. The other was Agentsythe and it was like, his 4th match with the deck and he was decent enough to concede because I was pretty likely to win. I'll admit I was also partially at fault, being pretty new to Death and Taxes at the time.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Johnny Landmine posted:

Most people exaggerate how many people just durdle slowly with top. It's easy to complain about.

I find after a month or two most miracles players speed up to normal speeds.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Nope. I drew 2 matches ever with Miracles. One was literally his 2nd match with the deck and he refused to concede despite being dead on board with the most absurd sequence of draws (which he didn't have) being necessary to not die on my next turn. And he had taken about 80% of the time in the match. The other was Agentsythe and it was like, his 4th match with the deck and he was decent enough to concede because I was pretty likely to win. I'll admit I was also partially at fault, being pretty new to Death and Taxes at the time.

shamefully i wasn't even playing miracles. it was a horrendous UWR deck that featured the following:

4 Monastery Mentory
4 Tops
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Dig Thru Time
some number of terminus
no counterbalance

it wasn't even a matter of making decisions (well sometimes it was because loving death and taxes just needles you a million different ways), it was just the muscle memory required to top quickly

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Most people exaggerate how many people just durdle slowly with top. It's easy to complain about.

I find after a month or two most miracles players speed up to normal speeds.

The people I do know who were slow Toppers are also all just excruciatingly slow players in general. Top does present those people with a greater number of decisions, but man I just do not think that's a good criteria for a ban at all. Enforce or re-examine the rules concerning slow play in competitive environments if you have to, but take care of it with those rules, not by taking cards away.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Johnny Landmine posted:

The people I do know who were slow Toppers are also all just excruciatingly slow players in general. Top does present those people with a greater number of decisions, but man I just do not think that's a good criteria for a ban at all. Enforce or re-examine the rules concerning slow play in competitive environments if you have to, but take care of it with those rules, not by taking cards away.

But it's already a well established reason for banning. Top was already banned in two other formats for this reason. Do I think they NEEDED to ban Top? No. Can I see why they did it? Yeah. It's not the worst decision they've made.

This showed up at WotC today:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Well with Miracles dead I'm thinking of making a bant control-ish list running the usual suspects.

Force
Snap
Daze
Brainstorm
Ponder
Jace
Noble Heirarch
Tarmogoyf
True name
Etc etc... see how it plays.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

EvilBeard posted:

But it's already a well established reason for banning. Top was already banned in two other formats for this reason. Do I think they NEEDED to ban Top? No. Can I see why they did it? Yeah. It's not the worst decision they've made.

Wait what other format besides modern?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well with Miracles dead I'm thinking of making a bant control-ish list running the usual suspects.

Force
Snap
Daze
Brainstorm
Ponder
Jace
Noble Heirarch
Tarmogoyf
True name

there's a stoneblade deck in bant that was doing okay even with miracles around
another option is throwing in some natural orders since progenitus is probably better with fewer terminus and council's judgment

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Force
Snap
Daze
Brainstorm
Ponder
Jace
Noble Heirarch
Tarmogoyf
True name

You know what would make this deck better? A black splash for Deathrite and Abrupt Decay.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

shamefully i wasn't even playing miracles. it was a horrendous UWR deck that featured the following:

4 Monastery Mentory
4 Tops
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Dig Thru Time
some number of terminus
no counterbalance

it wasn't even a matter of making decisions (well sometimes it was because loving death and taxes just needles you a million different ways), it was just the muscle memory required to top quickly

Oh right you changed your name.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

suicidesteve posted:

You know what would make this deck better? A black splash for Deathrite and Abrupt Decay.

Oh right you changed your name.

And Leovolds right?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kirtar posted:

And Leovolds right?

Well what else are you going to do on turn 2?!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

abrupt decay + 2nd deathrite

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Truly we live in a world of possibilities!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

EvilBeard posted:

:laffo:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

kirtar posted:

Wait what other format besides modern?

Extended, when that was a thing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Abrupt Decay seems worse in a format without Counterbalance. It will likely be trading down a lot more and there might be more TNNs, Anglers, and Tasigurs that make Decay look real silly. I wouldn't be surprised if Deathrite decks got a bit less popular with less incentive to be an Abrupt Decay deck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sampatrick posted:

Abrupt Decay seems worse in a format without Counterbalance. It will likely be trading down a lot more and there might be more TNNs, Anglers, and Tasigurs that make Decay look real silly. I wouldn't be surprised if Deathrite decks got a bit less popular with less incentive to be an Abrupt Decay deck.

Nah Blood moon decks are going to run rampant. Abrupt Decay is the only sure fire answer to that card.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I mean, there are plenty of 1 color and 1 Mana answers to moon, decay isn't required. Also mean you need 2 drs or a basic in play to cast over say, natural state or similar.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean, there are plenty of 1 color and 1 Mana answers to moon, decay isn't required. Also mean you need 2 drs or a basic in play to cast over say, natural state or similar.

Or if you think your opponent has it just hold up bg and float Mana in response to the moon on the stack.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nah Blood moon decks are going to run rampant. Abrupt Decay is the only sure fire answer to that card.

I don't think that the answer to Blood Moon is going to be playing zero nonbasics. I think, in general, the best answer to Blood Moon is to play a bunch of basics.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

L0cke17 posted:

Or if you think your opponent has it just hold up bg and float Mana in response to the moon on the stack.

Yes, but that's the issue. The only answer to moon being "always hold up 2 Mana and decay"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Skyl3lazer posted:

You can maindeck Decay though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yes, but that's the issue. The only answer to moon being "always hold up 2 Mana and decay"

Force of Will also exists and is a very useful card against Blood Moon

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

spine of ish sah is a pretty clean answer, I think I'll be running those

e: mono blue improvise with March of the Machines, Spine of Ish Sah, and Ghostly Flicker is the new tier 0

e2: nevermind the leaves the battlefield trigger im thinking of is on sundering titan

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 26, 2017

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Are there any good Enlightened Tutor-based control decks in the format?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Card disadvantage tutors are almost always good in combo decks but not in control decks. So uh probably not?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think thopterbalance was running enlightened tutor, but that was also a countertop deck. Presumably any kind of Etutor control like list is going to be running some sort of combo finish (e.g. RIP/Helm, Thopter/sword) that is tutorable by Etutor along with haymaker permanents like RIP, blood moon, etc.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's always leylines.dec

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

Boy is there! Let me tell you all about The Mighty Quinn!

Which is to say that Agentsythe will tell you all about The Mighty Quinn!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

DO I HAVE A DECK FOR

suicidesteve posted:

Boy is there! Let me tell you all about The Mighty Quinn!

Which is to say that Agentsythe will tell you all about The Mighty Quinn!

god damnit

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

I've been testing a rip/helm list for the last couple days. Seems pretty so far. Can post list when I'm at a real computer

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Enchantress is a prison deck that usually runs 1 enlightened tutor, does that count?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

L0cke17 posted:

I've been testing a rip/helm list for the last couple days. Seems pretty so far. Can post list when I'm at a real computer

I own three Helms and four each of RIP and Leyline, and I also love lovely mill strategies so yes please do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Enchantress is a prison deck that usually runs 1 enlightened tutor, does that count?

does it? i thought sterling grove was the tutor of choice

e: maybe if i would have stopped and thought a little bit i could have come up with some scenarios where you want E tutor, like if your win con is Helm, or you have any other hateful artifact in the board