Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

DiHK posted:

I horde rare earth magnets right next to my hard drives full of bit coins.

Put the magnets above your drives, so the price of your Bitcoins goes up, up, up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting my display board work so far:

Speaking of my Terminators, what type of magnets should I be using to magnetize them? For the heavy weapon dude, I want to be able to swap between the Reaper Autocannon and the Heavy Flamer. I was looking on Amazon for the magnets, but i'm not sure what size I'd need.

What paints do you use for the red sand colors? I've got a tablescapes board that I really need to get around to painting up.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Troll 5/6 done, other than the base, which will be grassed and edged with the rest of the unit.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Such a clean style. Love it.

The belly highlights are awesome.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I looked into getting an ultrasonic cleaner, but amazon alone has a bewildering variety of options, from ten bucks to several hundred. Any recommendations?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What paints do you use for the red sand colors? I've got a tablescapes board that I really need to get around to painting up.

It's a super easy recipe.

- Spray Mephiston Red Base.
- Base coat with a brush, Mephiston Red. (You can probably skip this step. I had to do it because I got Leadbelcher spray on the red. Although, the 2nd coat applied with the brush gave it a deeper red.)
- Wash with watered down Agrax Earthshade.
- Dry brush Baylor Brown.
- Dry Brush Zamesi Desert.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

wdarkk posted:

So I looked into getting an ultrasonic cleaner, but amazon alone has a bewildering variety of options, from ten bucks to several hundred. Any recommendations?

No need to go over the top. Most of the high end ones have built in heaters and poo poo that you won't need.

Mine cost $79 Dollary Doos- so about 40-50 US should be fine.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

dmnz posted:

Troll 5/6 done, other than the base, which will be grassed and edged with the rest of the unit.

Awesome!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

I would think this might get oil on the tip though. Wouldn't that create some problems?

Not saying pizza grease etc, just oils and particles on your hands

I wear gloves when airbrushing, but I'm not stroking the needle, just placing the fingertip over the cowl. I don't think it would be a big issue, unless you have excessively sweaty/dirty/greasy/Cheeto fingers.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i started up the Necron Overlord for my display board, and i could use some advice before continuing.

How's the blue on this? Too overpowering? I was thinking of putting gold on the edges of the pauldrons. The back piece (not shown) will be blue toward the middle and gold on the edges, to match the helmet.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
Vaguely a cross post from the X-Wing thread. First thing I've sat and painted in close to two years. I saw that ship in the store and immediately dubbed it the Vic Viper. I'm working on a third ship to act as player one's option. Side note, the red ship's been re-inked already.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I have this ultrasonic cleaner. It seems to do okay, could be a little bigger. The 7 1/2 minute timer is kind of annoying, but I popped mine open and jumpered it to always operate when plugged in and use a separate timer outlet. I don't run it for more than 2 hours continuous as the water starts to get really quite hot by that point (the cavitation effect heats it up).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've been kinda flitting from project to project lately, and I got around to painting a pair of Inquisition weirdos I kitbashed back in February:

And the whole gang so far:

I figure the guy with the greatsword is a Mordian veteran who got pressed into service with the Inquisitor, goldenboy is a bodyguard from a merchant clan, and the little goblin cherub guy just came with the Inquisitor's big book.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Yeast posted:

Painted up my first Infinity model

sweet lady genji

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Has anyone tried dry brushing a dark colour onto a light surface, such as black on white? I've been wondering what it would look like but my google searches just get people looking for advice on dry brushing onto dark colours rather than with them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Luminaflare posted:

Has anyone tried dry brushing a dark colour onto a light surface, such as black on white? I've been wondering what it would look like but my google searches just get people looking for advice on dry brushing onto dark colours rather than with them.

I haven't seen it, but that's likely because drybrushing is meant to represent raised areas being better lit. About the only example that would come to mind is glowing undead where white is the "deep/internal" color with blue or green being the highlight. Of course, I can't find any examples, though I've seen them posted in the past.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Luminaflare posted:

As berzerk said, you want stuff with an inner glow.

google "lava base drybrush"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Oh drat, I didn't even think of that. Good call.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I made a bunch of lava bases for my old Tyranid army like that. It's pretty striking when you pull it off right. Also fire - the 'core' of a flame is its hottest part, so you can get a fiairly good-looking flame by drybrushing yellow and red over white.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Pierzak posted:

Of course the first result is someone who seems to primarily paint mostly naked women...

But I did find good examples as to what I was asking about. Thanks.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Necron Lord is complete.

I'm debating if I should switch the red orb, scythe and crystals to purple with pink edging. What do you guys think?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That dude is sick as is but purple is always a good option and I support that as a change.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Necron Lord is complete.
It's already a cool guy, but I support changing it. It'll still look cool, and it'll separate the figure from the base a bit more.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What's the best way to brush paint an outer glow on a completely flat surface? Any different then regular outer glow?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zuul the Cat posted:

Necron Lord is complete.

I'm debating if I should switch the red orb, scythe and crystals to purple with pink edging. What do you guys think?

I like the Tomb King steez, but yeah the orb and scythe need to pop with some kind of contrast to the base

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zuul the Cat posted:

Necron Lord is complete.

Orange base, so the Jojo-est purple you can muster, imo.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Are there any good guides out there for painting something to look like glass that you guys would recommend?

I'm... not having much luck.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
The nozzle on my can of Army Painter Anti-Shine Varnish appears to have blocked up. The actual can still has LOADS left in it - is there a way I can save the nozzle or do I just have to buy a new one?

Annoyingly all the other rattle cans I use have fat caps, this is the only one I have that has a thin one!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I got a high roller trigger for my Patriot 105 and its the most incredible upgrade. A+ would buy again. If you've got a 105 spend the £3 and try it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Pop the nozzle off and submerge it in a solvent. Try something like simple green first. Then step up to stronger if needed.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Cat Face Joe posted:

What's the best way to brush paint an outer glow on a completely flat surface? Any different then regular outer glow?

Glaze it, many layers, smooth gradation.

TTerrible posted:

I got a high roller trigger for my Patriot 105 and its the most incredible upgrade. A+ would buy again. If you've got a 105 spend the £3 and try it.

Agreed - makes it so much more enjoyable to use.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

WIP can be found in the following post lin http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/painting/forum/topic/what-are-you-painting-now-1/?topic_page=372#post-200134

But here is the finished set of Genestealer Cult ready for Shadow Wa

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

These own.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

dr_ether posted:

WIP can be found in the following post lin http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/painting/forum/topic/what-are-you-painting-now-1/?topic_page=372#post-200134

God drat these are sweet.

Awesome colours. And the skin is so so well done.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Cross posting from the 40K thread;

Finished the first Savlar Chem Dog for my Armageddon Vets.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cultists and bionic guard owns bones.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dr_ether posted:

Those are radabonzical. I love them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What models are these? I want to paint them. Yours are gorgeous.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Games Workshop river trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Yeast posted:

Glaze it, many layers, smooth gradation.

I was afraid of this.