Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Nm

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is this the proper thread for salary negotiations?

Nope.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

No, do not say your future demands will be low.

Yes, stress that you're awesome.

Can't speak to the last point

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
consulting is weird, i wouldn't trust any of that poo poo on national salaries

the key is how do you deliver value to the client. if you can answer that question effectively and there's a disconnect between value delivered for the company and the client and how much you get paid you have a basis for negotiation.

what specialized knowledge do you have?

as to point three, that would irritate me as your manager. you negotiated your starting salary up in lieu of a six month raise, essentially. you don't get some sort of credit for this. also the world is not fair

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Thanks for the information friends. I'll move this to the correct thread.

The last point is rough because I was effectively told I wouldn't receive the 6 month bump, AFTER I negotiated the initial price raise.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

R2I always got a lot of poo poo in the IT threads, but that's probably because it's a lot harder to write something for a heavily technical area that you don't know anything about.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

jiffypop45 posted:

Any advice for my resume? (I'm still using an RTI template from forever ago, don't kill me)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9wLcp5ugLSYNk1EOGN4RGUteE0

My current job needs more numbers, and the whole thing needs to be a little shorter, any advice on numbers I can add relevant to the line items and what to trim out? Any additional help on wording and possible adjustments would be welcome as well :)

You have way too much information about your current job on your resume itself. A lot of the specific information you provide should go in your cover letter. Focus on the actions you took, not on the specific client you worked with or project you were working on. Emphasize where you went above and beyond the call of being a Software Engineer and added value to your employer/your clients or developed as a professional in ways that set you apart from literally every other software engineer in my resume pile. Your resume now would be great for LinkedIn because you have a lot of keywords that should get you attention from recruiters, but I think the paper version of your resume could be a little simpler. It's 100% great that you enhanced a pilot's training experience--I'd love to read that in your cover letter and ask you about that in your interview, even if it's just for small talk--but unless you're looking to do exactly that at your next job, the important part of your second-to-last bullet is that you developed software that extended a component's lifespan.

A lot of what you should keep vs. move to the cover letter vs. delete entirely depends a lot on what kind of jobs you're applying for (if you're staying in defense contracting then I'd namedrop the Air Force, Navy, and Army in your resume; if you're looking for a different line of work then you can remove the specifics of "defense customers" from your resume), but I'd encourage you to think about moving a lot of your current job text to your cover letter. There are other ways to get this information out, especially if a lot of the jobs you're applying to have supplemental questions like "Describe your experience (if any) in an agile software development environment."

If you want to stick to the R2I format for your bullets ("I did X using Y, resulting in Z"), I'd suggest shifting it around a little bit to "Accomplished Z by doing X using Y". As a prospective employer, I care that you reduced issue resolution time (with concrete figures in your resume supporting the gravity of the change) than that you implemented on-site toolbox support and maintenance.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about getting this all down to one page; all of the information in your qualifications is worth keeping the way it is, but it takes up a lot of real estate and I'd vote for bleeding onto a second page over getting rid of it. That being said, if you must go down to one page, I'd do something like this:

There's nothing I took out that isn't worth mentioning at some point in the application phase, but I think your resume as-is really steps on your cover letter's toes in a way that it doesn't need to.

e:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

R2I always got a lot of poo poo in the IT threads, but that's probably because it's a lot harder to write something for a heavily technical area that you don't know anything about.

:ohdear:

(to be clear I'm also not in IT and know next to nothing about everything I took out of your resume)

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 13, 2017

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Thanks for the input! I've since had two people edit it and they helped me greatly trim it down. While keeping the content the same. I was thinking the same thing about the LinkedIn page as well so I'll work on updating that before making it public again.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Cockblocktopus posted:

You have way too much information about your current job on your resume itself. A lot of the specific information you provide should go in your cover letter. Focus on the actions you took, not on the specific client you worked with or project you were working on. Emphasize where you went above and beyond the call of being a Software Engineer and added value to your employer/your clients or developed as a professional in ways that set you apart from literally every other software engineer in my resume pile

As a 15-year software engineer that has participated in hiring quite a few other developers, I'm going to have to slightly disagree here with some of your changes. Personally, I want to see what they did, what technologies it used, and its scope -- with specifics. e.g.:

-Designed and developed AwesomeApp (http://awesomeapp.com), an e-commerce web application serving 2000 users a day, utilizing ASP.NET MVC, SQL Server, and Angular 2.0.
-Implemented a custom CRM application for the internal sales department in Angular 2.0 and NodeJS that allowed them to capture an additional $60,000 a year in missed upsell opportunities.

As someone who is technical, my eyes glaze over when I read stuff like:

-Updated internal software to provide a better user experience...
-Participated in the Agile development process and discussed changes in scope...

With the former, I know what they did recently that uses Angular, for instance, instead of them listing it as a bullet-ed skill. They could've used it for 2 days, 5 years ago. It also gives me some points to discuss and dig into in the interview.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

B-Nasty posted:

As a 15-year software engineer that has participated in hiring quite a few other developers, I'm going to have to slightly disagree here with some of your changes. Personally, I want to see what they did, what technologies it used, and its scope -- with specifics. e.g.:
The annoying thing is that in order to get to your desk, there's usually at least 1-2 layers of non-technical to go through. In an ideal world, there'd be a way to have a resume for one audience, and a "for technical stuff, head to page 3". Instead a 3 page resume would go straight into the shredder.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Welp, gotta write a letter of resignation. Giving my two weeks tomorrow. They have no idea it's coming. How do I do this? And do I send the email after work on Friday?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Goodpancakes posted:

Welp, gotta write a letter of resignation. Giving my two weeks tomorrow. They have no idea it's coming. How do I do this? And do I send the email after work on Friday?

I don't know if an actual letter is required. When I quit my last job I just walked in and told my boss, and when a friend of mine quit the company I'm at now she just went in and said it, then they made her write a letter anyway.

I don't see any need to write more than "I am tendering my resignation, effective on [DATE]." I guess you could name a person for people to contact if they have questions, but I don't know how necessary it is.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

Short and sweet, with all the key info. Do it hard copy with a signature to your boss, then follow up to HR in email form pending his comments.

code:

Dear [Your Boss],

I am writing to announce my resignation from [JOB], effective [DATE].

This was not an easy decision to make. I have enjoyed working with you and the entire [JOB] 
team. The projects on which I have worked provide me great satisfaction knowing that they 
will continue to deliver value to [WHATEVER].

Thank you for the opportunities for growth that you have provided me.

I wish you and the company all the best. If I can be of any help during the transition, 
please don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,
[YOU]

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 14, 2017

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

B-Nasty posted:

-Designed and developed AwesomeApp (http://awesomeapp.com), an e-commerce web application serving 2000 users a day, utilizing ASP.NET MVC, SQL Server, and Angular 2.0.
-Implemented a custom CRM application for the internal sales department in Angular 2.0 and NodeJS that allowed them to capture an additional $60,000 a year in missed upsell opportunities.

As someone who is technical, my eyes glaze over when I read stuff like:

-Updated internal software to provide a better user experience...
-Participated in the Agile development process and discussed changes in scope...

With the former, I know what they did recently that uses Angular, for instance, instead of them listing it as a bullet-ed skill. They could've used it for 2 days, 5 years ago. It also gives me some points to discuss and dig into in the interview.

As someone who recruits and hires software engineers, I agree 100%.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I'll admit despite being a software engineer I prefer systems work which is more towards what that's geared towards. If I'm not getting any bites in about two months I'll rework it to focus more on my software accomplishments than my systems oriented ones.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I started reading this thread after I got my job, so I don't need help right at this moment, although I'm sure eventually I will. It has been really interesting to read the way in which job advice has changed dramatically since this thread started or, especially, when the previous thread (linked in the OP) started (pre mortgage crisis). If you have some time to kill, take a trip down memory lane and just see how people gave advice before LinkedIn, down to telling people to just show up and speak with the hiring manager. It's crazy how the job hunting process changes so much in 10 odd years !

Something that people bring up a lot here is the issue of dress code, with the automatic response being "always wear a suit." Although in general I agree, do keep in mind that some companies, not just startups, are really relaxed about clothing, to the point that a suit can go against you.

I recently joined a large apparel and sports company, founded in the first part of the 20th century, as legal counsel. The fact that I showed up to the interview wearing a suit was brought up during my first interview, my second interview (where I decided to just show up with jeans, sneakers and a shirt, which was deemed as much better), and even when they called my references to check me out. They were concerned that the fact that I dressed like that could mean that I wouldn't fit a relaxed and laid back working environment.

As much as I love the company that I joined, it really highlights the gigantic disconnect that often exists between people looking for job and those in hiring positions. The latter have often been in their jobs for so long that they don't seem to remember what it's like to interview for a position, dress for the interview, etc., as it's obvious most people would prefer to play it safe and just show up in a suit (especially if you're a goddamn lawyer!), since most will be able to "dress down" after looking too formal, but will probably be unable to change a bad first impression that shows them dressed as slobs.

I don't really have a recipe for success on this, since I just lied a bit ("I had a meeting earlier today, hence the suit") and tried to play it down ("don't worry, I usually look way more relaxed than this!") but it definitely made it awkward. I know that some startups are daft enough to simply reject people because they wore a suit, so if you're aiming at those, I guess you really have to come up with something better.

Sorry for the personal story time here, but I thought some people might like to hear the experience.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 17, 2017

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
I've never worn a suit to an interview. A selection from my work/interview history:

1. ISP/tech shop (support/IT contracting) - Employee number 5. Can't remember what I wore to the interview, but it was probably a casual button down and some jeans. You can imagine that was dressed up compared to what they were wearing in the office.
2. Telco construction company (project management) - ~1000 employees. Dress shirt, tie, dress pants, vest. The most dressed up I've ever been for an interview. I wore shirt and pants to the office every day.
3. Small software company (support/project management). Dress shirt/pants. Everyone interviewing me was wearing jeans and tshirts. Once hired, most people would wear flipflops during the summer.
4. Medium sized SaaS company (support). Dress shirt, pants and nice knitted pull-over/jumper. Once hired, jeans and tshirts reigned supreme.
5. ~50 person Startup (tech sales). Dress shirt, jeans, dress shoes and a nice sports coat. Tshirts or button down depending on the type of customer I'm meeting, and jeans with some neat casual shoes.

During the middle of my career (as of now), I would always ask before coming into the interview. Now, I just turn up with what I would wear on a day-to-day basis to an important meeting. That said, my career skews heavily towards the business casual-friendly tech culture of the US West Coast. Even when meeting CTOs/VPs for publicly traded companies, etc no one bats an eyelid if I'm wearing a sports coat and a tshirt with jeans as long as everything's neat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I might forgo the jacket but I will use any excuse to wear a tie because I have way more ties that reasons to ever wear them.

A few of my friends in grad school made up "Formal Fridays" and I tried desperately to get them going at my last job, to no avail.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dark Helmut posted:

As someone who recruits and hires software engineers, I agree 100%.
One frustrating thing to keep in mind is that a lot of these kinds of numbers, especially for web companies, are proprietary until well after the fact. You don't want to be giving nosy competitors details on your monthly active users, for example.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
A cover letter question.

I'm graduating with a bachelor's in May, but I've also had ~5 years of relevant job experience, since I'm a returning college student. When applying for jobs that want experience, should I lead with the degree and college experience, or the work experience in a cover letter? I worry "I'm graduating in May with a degree in..." might be an immediate turn-off, but my program is also well-known in my field.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

RabbitMage posted:

A cover letter question.

I'm graduating with a bachelor's in May, but I've also had ~5 years of relevant job experience, since I'm a returning college student. When applying for jobs that want experience, should I lead with the degree and college experience, or the work experience in a cover letter? I worry "I'm graduating in May with a degree in..." might be an immediate turn-off, but my program is also well-known in my field.

How about opening with "after five years of.. I decided to continue my studies in... In order to become..."?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Out of curiosity, I've been out of the jobhunting game for two years now but what is it during that time that suddenly made R2I poo poo? I remember using them back then and feeling they were pretty overhyped, but maybe I was starting from a different place with my drafts.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

tirinal posted:

Out of curiosity, I've been out of the jobhunting game for two years now but what is it during that time that suddenly made R2I poo poo? I remember using them back then and feeling they were pretty overhyped, but maybe I was starting from a different place with my drafts.

The goon sold to the business. New people are apparently poo poo.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Recently finished a pretty significant round of interview process via phone and Skype. I'm confident that I did well and I would be pretty surprised if I didn't get the position but I know to never get your hopes up in this type of situation.

So what do I do now? Just patiently wait or should I sent a recruiter an email? What do you guys recommend? I've been told by some people to send a follow up email to the recruiter with a brief "thank you" to the the recruiter / the people who interviewed me but have also heard to not do it and that if they see me as a qualified candidate they would get back to me.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 25, 2017

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

Recently finished a pretty significant round of interview process via phone and Skype. I'm confident that I did well and I would be pretty surprised if I didn't get the position but I know to never get your hopes up in this type of situation.

So what do I do now? Just patiently wait or should I sent a recruiter an email? What do you guys recommend? I've been told by some people to send a follow up email to the recruiter with a brief "thank you" to the the recruiter / the people who interviewed me but have also heard to not do it and that if they see me as a qualified candidate they would get back to me.

Do whatever you want as long as you aren't pestering anyone. No one is going to not hire a qualified candidate because they did or didn't send a thank you note. If they didn't give you a date they'd make a decision by then you can ask them that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

asur posted:

Do whatever you want as long as you aren't pestering anyone. No one is going to not hire a qualified candidate because they did or didn't send a thank you note. If they didn't give you a date they'd make a decision by then you can ask them that.
The point of the thank-you note isn't actually to thank the interviewer. It's to prairie-dog hop and put your name in front of them again. Take from this whatever you want.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

The point of the thank-you note isn't actually to thank the interviewer. It's to prairie-dog hop and put your name in front of them again. Take from this whatever you want.

Agreed. I've worked with hiring managers who see it as a sign of low/lack of interest if you don't follow-up with at least a thank you and question to nudge the process forward.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Timelines etiquette and general "should I" question:

I just received confirmation that an offer for a job that I've interviewed is being generated (yay!) from company A. We discussed the offer and I expressed my interest in the position, but haven't verbally committed or really anything outside of "I'm really excited for it and would like some time to consider it". Take home is significantly more for me (17k/yr), but would require a base of 10 more hours per week and more travel. Ultimately the hourly rate would probably be similar between my current position and the new one.

Then the wrench comes in - I was on the phone with company B that is very interested in me for a similar position. The in-person interview for this wouldn't be until mid-may but based on the general package that was indicated in the phone interview it would be a much better offer in many other aspects (significant car stipend, training and development opportunities, remote work/clients in my area, more PTO and holidays).

So my question is - how long can I string the first company along? Certainly if the offer came without any other options I'd take it. The more that I am comparing A to B, the less attractive it seems. My plan is to tell company A that I am interested in their offer but I want to finish up with some other opportunities that are on the table before making my final decision, which would be mid-late May. If company A rescinds their offer, it wouldn't be the end of the world simply because I am currently (semi-happily) employed and the worst case scenario is I just keep my current job. I know that I'm really promoting company B here but the base benefits really are that much better and I think I'd be much happier there long term - but I don't have any guarantee they'll give me an offer after the interview.

Thoughts?

PS. Company B knows I'm getting an offer from A and offered to try and expedite things too much but I don't want to be too demanding.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
As a recruiter, I never mind multiple offer scenarios as long as the candidate is transparent with me. Tell me what you're working with, and I'll do my best to make it work.

Dealing with recruiter/company A:
Let them know you're receiving another competitive offer and ideally you'd like to be able to review both "so I can make the best decision for my family and me blah blah". Ask them about their timeline and just let them know the other offer is lagging a bit behind, but be mindful of the fact that company A is your bird in the hand. They will probably ask you about the other offer, to which I'd respond generically that it's going to be competitive. This leaves them at a decision point - they can offer you more $$ to try and get you now. I might ask "What will it take to get you to forgo the second opportunity and accept today?". Or they can wait and see because they've already put their best offer on the table. The only danger here of course is them having a great second candidate who's ready to hire ASAP, so you really need to be careful and pay attention to the recruiter/manager for clues on how into you they are.

Company B:
Again, just let them know your situation. If they are offering to expedite, that's a great sign. Good candidates are hard to find in whatever market and I know I will jump through hoops to land a good IT person. It's not "being demanding" to be a candidate in demand. Just be respectful of their position and ask that they move forward ASAP. Wouldn't hurt to let them know you have a competitive offer on the table but you "love the culture/opportunity/benefits/whatever" at Company B.

Ideally, you want each company to make the best offer they can in the timeliest manner possible, and if you can passively let them know it's a competitive situation you stand a better chance of benefiting from it financially. I'll always push for more money for you if it means I win...

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Busy Bee posted:

I'm late to the game on this, but there is absolutely no reason not to send a thank you note. As VC mentioned, it's way less about thanking them and way more about being another touch point. As long as you're not obnoxious about it, it can't hurt and can often times be very helpful.

Generic:

Dear hiring manager (or ask the recruiter to forward if you don't have their info),

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me today about xyz position. I enjoyed the conversation and it was nice to learn more about the company and the role. I feel like my widget hammering and people management skills make me a natural fit for the role and I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback and next steps.

Busy Bee

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Dark Helmut posted:

As a recruiter, I never mind multiple offer scenarios as long as the candidate is transparent with me. Tell me what you're working with, and I'll do my best to make it work.

Ideally, you want each company to make the best offer they can in the timeliest manner possible, and if you can passively let them know it's a competitive situation you stand a better chance of benefiting from it financially. I'll always push for more money for you if it means I win...

Thank you so much! That was very insightful and well thought out.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Newsman posted:

Timelines etiquette and general "should I" question:

I just received confirmation that an offer for a job that I've interviewed is being generated (yay!) from company A. We discussed the offer and I expressed my interest in the position, but haven't verbally committed or really anything outside of "I'm really excited for it and would like some time to consider it". Take home is significantly more for me (17k/yr), but would require a base of 10 more hours per week and more travel. Ultimately the hourly rate would probably be similar between my current position and the new one.

Then the wrench comes in - I was on the phone with company B that is very interested in me for a similar position. The in-person interview for this wouldn't be until mid-may but based on the general package that was indicated in the phone interview it would be a much better offer in many other aspects (significant car stipend, training and development opportunities, remote work/clients in my area, more PTO and holidays).

So my question is - how long can I string the first company along? Certainly if the offer came without any other options I'd take it. The more that I am comparing A to B, the less attractive it seems. My plan is to tell company A that I am interested in their offer but I want to finish up with some other opportunities that are on the table before making my final decision, which would be mid-late May. If company A rescinds their offer, it wouldn't be the end of the world simply because I am currently (semi-happily) employed and the worst case scenario is I just keep my current job. I know that I'm really promoting company B here but the base benefits really are that much better and I think I'd be much happier there long term - but I don't have any guarantee they'll give me an offer after the interview.

Thoughts?

PS. Company B knows I'm getting an offer from A and offered to try and expedite things too much but I don't want to be too demanding.

Why are you willing to play hardball with a company that is about to give you an offer but are unwilling to do so for a company that hasn't? Tell company B that you expect an offer from A and need to hurry their process along. When you get an offer from A reiterate if they haven't moved your interview forward. I assume you plan on negotiating with company A. That will buy you sometime, maybe a week. After that you're pushing it if you ask for more than a week, maybe two to decide.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

asur posted:

Why are you willing to play hardball with a company that is about to give you an offer but are unwilling to do so for a company that hasn't? Tell company B that you expect an offer from A and need to hurry their process along. When you get an offer from A reiterate if they haven't moved your interview forward. I assume you plan on negotiating with company A. That will buy you sometime, maybe a week. After that you're pushing it if you ask for more than a week, maybe two to decide.

To your first question, company A's offer doesn't really improve his situation. It's more money for more work/travel, but company B is what he wants and they seem to be playing ball. What's not said here is how badly he wants to leave his current company and if it's worth losing company A to hold out for B.

The last thing he needs to do is piss off B by demanding they "hurry their process" when it appears they already are. In general, the more you are able to relate to the recruiters/hiring managers on a real level rather than standoffish and making demands, the better off you'll be. Be tactful and create (and use) empathy.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Thanks for the input.

WRT my current position, pay is pretty low for a masters degree, the commute is long, and the work isn't too interesting to me. Lots of cool projects, but the day-to-day is very unfulfilling and after 6 months in the role, I don't see it really being something I enjoy. It's time to start moving on. If I ended up with nothing at all, I'd still have my current job which would be okay (but obviously not since I'm looking for other work).

Moving to a position with company A would be much more engaging and better financially, but as mentioned it's more work for more money. It seems like company B is better in every aspect, and I'd probably be much happier there. I doubt A will rescind their offer outright if ask to finish out my current round of interviews before deciding, but it could happen.

B did offer to move things along quicker so I didn't really feel the need to push them any more. Will have to see what comes of that in the next couple of days.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Is it okay to lie about your location on a resume? I live on the east coast, and I am applying for jobs on the west coast (Mostly because I have zero ties here, I'm young, a recent graduate). Does location make or break resumes?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Fat_Cow posted:

Is it okay to lie about your location on a resume? I live on the east coast, and I am applying for jobs on the west coast (Mostly because I have zero ties here, I'm young, a recent graduate). Does location make or break resumes?

Are you moving after you get a job or do you have a date set yet? I might just throw a sentence into your summary that says "Relocating to x in June 2017" or something. If you already have a move planned, then you would just put your city/state and zip as the new place.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Dark Helmut posted:

Are you moving after you get a job or do you have a date set yet? I might just throw a sentence into your summary that says "Relocating to x in June 2017" or something. If you already have a move planned, then you would just put your city/state and zip as the new place.

I wanted to move after I had a job secured.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fat_Cow posted:

Is it a place you are able to receive mail from if it was sent there (e.g. a friend's or relative's address)? If yes, just put it on there without any explanation. I put a friend's address on the application for my current job, which was in a different province from where I lived. I work directly with someone who was on my search committee and she explicitly said that it was a smart thing to do because she threw away all non-local addresses during her first pass through the stack. If I hadn't lied about my address then I wouldn't have got the job.

If you don't know anyone at a said address then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I went to a career fair at my community college, felt like I came off like a total goon but still got called in for an interview! It would be an entry-level office admin type job. My resume clearly shows that I dropped out of university 10 years ago and only worked occasionally for the next 6. Assuming they ask me to explain, I feel like it would be unwise to directly mention alcoholism. However, I do want to be able to emphasize the effort and commitment I've put into turning my life around. Is there a diplomatic way to say 'I went off the deep end, but I managed to swim back to dry land'?