Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
It is incomprehensible to have a pole barn garage bigger than a house unless you have a tractor and a herd of cows that need someplace to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Neutrino posted:

It looks like there is a concrete pad in the garage from another imgur gallery:

It's hard to see the details so its anyone's guess if he just poured the slab around the posts...

check out this in-progress framing photo though. You see the existing pad, but there's definitely a 1-2' section of grass between that pad and where he's already framed out the walls with nice green grass in it.

emocrat posted:

Uh, did he build the entire garage with no foundation too?

Its just sitting the grass..

he posted some more shots here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/67653u/added_a_tower_to_our_house_because_you_know_every/dgohnd8/

I particularly like the entrance to the deathtrap "playhouse" that he put in the tower for his young daughter

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Neutrino posted:

It is incomprehensible to have a pole barn garage bigger than a house unless you have a tractor and a herd of cows that need someplace to go.

Or unless you have instituted a small budget since you built your death tower for under $3000 but want to check off that "8-car garage" box on your house checklist I guess...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

brugroffil posted:

I particularly like the entrance to the deathtrap "playhouse" that he put in the tower for his young daughter

I mean hey, if you want to kill off one of your children, this will get the job done at least! :shobon:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CJacobs posted:

I mean hey, if you want to kill off one of your children, this will get the job done at least! :shobon:

just build a secret clubhouse around a wood chipper?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

One of the commentators posted this unrelated bit of construction.

Hallelujah

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm not going to doxx this guy but it appears that the car plates are from Indiana so the area definitely gets wind and rain.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hallelujah

You know if they'd used that many nails on the original, that one dude might have stayed down the first time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hallelujah

So much sistering you accidentally a convent.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Neutrino posted:

I'm not going to doxx this guy but it appears that the car plates are from Indiana so the area definitely gets wind and rain.

Indiana? That explains it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Neutrino posted:

He said he got some 80mph winds recently too. Can't wait for that tower to rip away from the house and fly away with the kid in it.

It was cross posted on the /r/DIWHY subreddit and there's some good comments in there

"I was looking at this discount mcmansion last night and getting so worked up.

1. it's build ON TOP of the deck.
2. water from the roof is going to rot out that side of the "tower".
3. the house is loving hot-rear end black
4. the garage doesnt face the same way.
5. um, hope they live in a place without wind.
6. why doesnt that fake stone accent poo poo wrap around that side for another 2 feet?
7. they covered half a window!
8. these lovely rear end roof lines
9. destroyed a well-built, classic farmhouse for this 2003 extreme home makeover, wannabe mtv cribs looking afterthought
10. the poor neighbors
11. this cant be legal
12. i wouldnt let my family anywhere near that, much less have my child just chilling up there
13. the way it's attached to that wall just seems janky as hell.
14. WHY ANY OF THIS
15. no pathways
16. no shrubs
17. those shutters *shudders*
18. THREE front doors
19. doors dont even match
20. that tiny rear end window
21. different window heights
22. that big rear end stupid ugly garage
23. nothing is flush - AT ALL

i should stop now because i could just keep going
shoulda just bought a different house after 2010 if you still hated it"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Also this discovery:

"I'd like to point out it doesn't appear to even be level. Look at the hanging lantern in the middle of the arch. "

"Oh god, the deck is just bolted to the [side of the garage](http://i.imgur.com/92BelqL.jpg). And the garage is [dependent on the footings](http://i.imgur.com/qxhrMVD.jpg) he did for his pole barn design... and we don't know what he did for those. "

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FCKGW posted:

Also this discovery:

"I'd like to point out it doesn't appear to even be level. Look at the hanging lantern in the middle of the arch. "

"Oh god, the deck is just bolted to the [side of the garage](http://i.imgur.com/92BelqL.jpg). And the garage is [dependent on the footings](http://i.imgur.com/qxhrMVD.jpg) he did for his pole barn design... and we don't know what he did for those. "

At first I thought the below picture was wonky just because of the field of view or what have you, but do the same thing to this one:

Neutrino posted:

It looks like there is a concrete pad in the garage from another imgur gallery:

It's hard to see the details so its anyone's guess if he just poured the slab around the posts...

You can pick out other should-be-vertical lines, such as the windows, the fence in the background, etc., and none of them work out with the garage door sides. I'm still not convinced it's not just an artifact, but with this guy, geez, who knows, it might actually be just that bad.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
MY KID LIKES PLAYING UP HERE WITH THE EXPOSED NAILS AND HOLES IN THE FLOOR

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Bleeding wounds build character

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also lmao how is that brace supposed to work did he run out of wood and decide getting it most of the way was good enough

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also exposed wiring with wire nuts and no junction box dangling in the kids' playroom.

I mean at least if she's electrocuted she probably won't wind up paralyzed, so that's not as bad as the falling hazard?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Leperflesh posted:

Also exposed wiring with wire nuts and no junction box dangling in the kids' playroom.

I mean at least if she's electrocuted she probably won't wind up paralyzed, so that's not as bad as the falling hazard?

That's 12V so electrocution shouldn't be an issue. However, if she got shocked while climbing, she could fall oops

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Bad Munki posted:

You can pick out other should-be-vertical lines, such as the windows, the fence in the background, etc., and none of them work out with the garage door sides. I'm still not convinced it's not just an artifact, but with this guy, geez, who knows, it might actually be just that bad.

I think that's intentional, the walls look they are thin at the top and a fair bit thicker at the base.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I actually kind of like how it looks :shobon:

Atleast, I like it a lot more on their house than the one that inspired them

Though I did assume the addition was more house, and not just a giant loving garage

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 24, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

moist turtleneck posted:

MY KID LIKES PLAYING UP HERE WITH THE EXPOSED NAILS AND HOLES IN THE FLOOR

I'm the obvious gap in the walls in the corner

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That entire project is reminding me of McMansion Hell -- you have the original, normally-proportioned house, then you have the gigantic car-housing tumor (complete with oversized dormers!), and then you have the obligatory turret/tower/Look We Made A Tall Thing.

Pringles Can Of Shame(tm)

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok so the screws should be grounded, but one is hot instead. But shouldn't briding them like that - even with a voltmeter - immediately throw the circuit breaker, as you now have hot going to ground instead of neutral?

So does that mean you have one screw hot and one neutral and none grounded?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Leperflesh posted:

Ok so the screws should be grounded, but one is hot instead. But shouldn't briding them like that - even with a voltmeter - immediately throw the circuit breaker, as you now have hot going to ground instead of neutral?

So does that mean you have one screw hot and one neutral and none grounded?

I understood that voltmeters like that have an effectively infinite resistance, so that won't happen. Makes sense as you'd not be able to take readings of the circuit breaker instantly tripped.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Ground fault/residual current detectors need at least some amperage difference between the active/neutral (i.e; some current is leaking to ground) before they trigger, and a volt meter doesn't do that.

non-tldr: having a difference between the active and neutral wires causes induction in the wire wrapped around them and trips the circuit

edit: Assuming you actually have RCDs!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is current through the multimeter, but it’s like ten microamps. Not enough to trigger the RCD.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Specifically, a generic multimeter will probably have 10 megaohms of resistance. That leaks a tiny fraction of a milliamp, well below the noise floor, and you need 5-30 to trip anything.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

If the meter were toggled to current meter mode (which is as close to zero ohms across until the meter's fuse pops) you'd see it trip, but otherwise, it shouldn't. Voltage meters want to have as high of resistance as possible when measuring voltage or else you'll have to take the loading effect of the meter into account in parallel with the measured resistance, and we didn't buy a digital device so we can do more math.

You measure voltage across something, and current through something, and if you mess up, well, have spare fuses.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I wonder if it reads 0V if both switches are on or off.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

OP removed the album of that tower house. Does anyone have the pictures still? I'm curious to see what it looked like, only a couple are left.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

shortspecialbus posted:

OP removed the album of that tower house. Does anyone have the pictures still? I'm curious to see what it looked like, only a couple are left.
Did KidSinister doxx him or something??

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

shortspecialbus posted:

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 25, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe he figures if you can easily see every bolt he used you will assume it's well built.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Storysmith posted:

If the meter were toggled to current meter mode (which is as close to zero ohms across until the meter's fuse pops) you'd see it trip, but otherwise, it shouldn't. Voltage meters want to have as high of resistance as possible when measuring voltage or else you'll have to take the loading effect of the meter into account in parallel with the measured resistance, and we didn't buy a digital device so we can do more math.

You measure voltage across something, and current through something, and if you mess up, well, have spare fuses.

I bought a digital device so I can spell "58008".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If your voltmeter is spelling 538008, you should probably get off of the high tension power lines.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

If your voltmeter is spelling 538008, you should probably get off of the high tension power lines.

You misspelled 5318008, I think.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jesus. What the hell happened? The 2010 remodel is a straight-up improvement over 2007, it makes everything better. Then he goes and shits all over his house.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I guess after the 2010 worked out, he got drunk on power and went nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The more complicated the roofline, the better.