Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
holy MOLY that episode is peak Empanada

e: ah gently caress me, new ep on the previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jade Star posted:

Operation Oh my god, Shield

With the Avatar tracker down so low for the first time since the start of the game now is kind of the endgame preparation time. Get everything researched, get all your kit in engineering built, and take any soldiers you want to get to Colonel out on missions now rather than later. That pretty well sums up this video. I have time to relax and get things done that I've been too rushed to get to, research, expansion, and training non-Colonel soldiers. The end of the game seems pretty close at hand with the completion of another Shadow Chamber project and just one or two more research topics in there seems like we'd be ready for the 'To Cydonia or Bust' part of the game. I'm not putting that off just yet, there are still just a few things worth getting first. A few more autopsies will lead to upgrades, most notably the Gremlin Mk3 awaits innovation. I just squeezed enough supplies out of my corpse pile to pick up the final upgraded Psi Amp. Lastly there will be one or two more Shadow Chamber projects to go. Again I regret back loading the plot so much, but such is X-Com.

Also seriously, if someone gets me an nice avatar sized image of the Enemy Protocol icon from the game I am so buying that for Empanada's avatar. loving learn to hack, oh my god argh.

Guavamoment you sound a bit different in this one, are you sick? I guess it is hay fever season.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Its hockey season. Same thing, I think?

Empanada is actually the best hacker. He's too busy Hacking the Planet to deal with mundane things like murderbots, distress beacons and lamps :colbert:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ahahah the A+ level of dicking that happened in this mission

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The reason you got spotted, as you may have gathered, was because nobody could see the ADVENT MEC, which was closer than the other troops. Thus, only the spot zone around the visible enemies appeared, but the MEC could see the spot that was not marked as a spot zone.

Still dumb, though.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Jade Star posted:

Also seriously, if someone gets me an nice avatar sized image of the Enemy Protocol icon from the game I am so buying that for Empanada's avatar. loving learn to hack, oh my god argh.

I live to serve. Made you two, though the full Enemy Protocol one will need tiiiny tweaks to drop below 30kb [although I guess maybe the support info is old on being 125x125 and 30kb? Not sure]

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I will always appreciate the best-named Powered Weapon, "Shredstorm Cannon."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think Empanada has proven his worth to X-COM. At being a professional meat shield because that is what he excels at, not hacking.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I live to serve. Made you two, though the full Enemy Protocol one will need tiiiny tweaks to drop below 30kb [although I guess maybe the support info is old on being 125x125 and 30kb? Not sure]

Interesting sidenote that may be of interest to those who want to have fun image editing the second avatar image.

"LTH" [Learn To Hack] has exactly the same first two bits (01) on all three letters. So "01001100 01010100 01001000" (LTH) can be represented in the avatar with "001100 010100 001000" , and the text could read "WAIT, poo poo, I FORGOT 01!"

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
That "gently caress you" was pretty grand. Jake, fix your game.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

I think Empanada has proven his worth to X-COM. At being a professional meat shield because that is what he excels at, not hacking.

Given all combat hackers with enemy protocol have died in this campaign, and the past performance of Empanada, presumably this is a survival strategy. Not that it's working out all that well anyway.

Very subtle with the stargate music as well, I missed guava commenting on it the first time round and spent the rest of the video wondering if it was actually a part of the game...

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014
I love the landed UFO missions. Mostly it's the nostalgia factor. We did a ton of these in Enemy Unknown/Within - and the original game , for that matter - but not so many in XCOM2. The timer isn't a huge deal: if it runs out, the aliens send one advent party bus with a squad of 3 in it. So overwatch crawling is a completely viable strategy if you don't mind losing the hack reward.

Jade Star posted:

Maybe you can rip it out of this screenshot from my last game

(Yeah, sometimes the better hack result is the easy one. Jade got a little bit screwed there; I can only assume the RNG gods are still angry about Angry Lobster's initial success.)

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Man, that was quite a few bullshit moments.
Jake, game, fix it.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Hacking is always frustrating garbage for minimal reward.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
As a save-scumming piece of trash, I have noticed that something seems to be up with the hacking odds. It might well be confirmation bias, but especially the major rewards never seem to trigger as frequently as the interface says they should.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

you get 100k now

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I forget, was it noted last UFO that you can just explode the distress beacon instead of hacking it if you don't want the 'free' reward for the hack?

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Tylana posted:

I forget, was it noted last UFO that you can just explode the distress beacon instead of hacking it if you don't want the 'free' reward for the hack?

Also, large, stompy aliens can crush the beacon. That's mildly irritating if you wanted to go for the hack.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arcomage posted:

As a save-scumming piece of trash, I have noticed that something seems to be up with the hacking odds. It might well be confirmation bias, but especially the major rewards never seem to trigger as frequently as the interface says they should.

You stop when you get the high reward, so RNG streaks are invariably going to err toward the failure state. Confirmation bias.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Pls rename Empanada "White hat"

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
What's the name of that plugin that shows numbers for health and shield instead of ticks? Late game becomes frustrating having to count out little markers over enemies. Also, are there some quality of life plugins you recommend in general?

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Wheany posted:

Or "Dunce Cap"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

zyxophoj posted:

Or "Dunce Cap"

Or "Responsible disclosure"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

The limits are 150x150 and 100kB

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Wheany posted:

'Spiked Them'

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The X-com with biological monstrotities game mentioned in the LP is Now Crowdfunding

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
what all did you actually get from getting the flight computer, reactor cores, and the other stuff?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

SugarAddict posted:

what all did you actually get from getting the flight computer, reactor cores, and the other stuff?

Nothing, that's just flavor. You get elerium and alloys like any supply raid, just a bit more. XCOM2 doesn't really do the artifact specificity of the EW.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
I was beaten to the punch, but I made some custom icons I can change if you like them.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh very nice. I think those look a bit sharper. Probably because you're working with 100kb and Nekomimi was working with 30kb.

I just need a good line for the text now.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Jade Star posted:

Oh very nice. I think those look a bit sharper. Probably because you're working with 100kb and Nekomimi was working with 30kb.

Best. Hacker. Ever. (intended to be sarcastic)
Worst Hacker.Ever.
As it turns out, hacking is not my calling.

Any of those ideas seem good?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Jake, fix your hack skill

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Jade Star posted:

"I guess I'll just never be Lobster."

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Enemy (Protocol) Unknown

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Jade Star posted:

Head of Sony Online Security

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Jade Star posted:

Thanks! I'm working with 5kb per. ;)

I can link my SVG if someone else wants to use it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Zomborgon posted:

Enemy (Protocol) Unknown

I am really liking this one.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Jade Star posted:

Emphasis on the zeros

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jade Star posted:

"I genuinely thought that Windows ME would improve my hacking abilities. I was very wrong."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
That explains it, I was going off the support document's listing of "125x125, 30kb" and couldn't find the actual limit elsewhere.

They look good, Anaxite!

I like Enemy (Protocol) Unknown, too

• Locked thread