Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Nah, the split in the 90s. NASCAR saw a chance and successfully exploited it. Then it got high on its own success and made boneheaded after boneheaded decision, leading to the poo poo we have now.

Our Bernie had the right idea. Never let the split actually happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Whoever owns NASCAR also owned and destroyed AMA motorcycle roadracing. I think. I hate NASCAR because of what I imagine they did, anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Funny enough, the same people behind NASCAR way back when also gave us IMSA.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was watching the 83 French Grand Prix and Elios car failed at the same spot that he crashed in 86. Eerie.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

I was watching the 83 French Grand Prix and Elios car failed at the same spot that he crashed in 86. Eerie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkF8-vhVM_0

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

Funny enough, the same people behind NASCAR way back when also gave us IMSA.

Clearly they blew their load too early, and I'm 100% okay with that. IMSA rocks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

Clearly they blew their load too early, and I'm 100% okay with that. IMSA rocks.

Oh yeah. "How do we get factories involved in prototype racing and keep prices reasonable..." and thus DPi was born. Hopefully soon enough ACO will go "alright, they can compete at Le Mans".

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
so I went into this E/N thread coz I was bored and it was about some guy that had a girl but she dumped him and now says she was never attracted to him and he sounded like he needed some support.. until you read his writing and discover he's a bit of a dick and probably should be sterilized. Anyway, you keep reading and the dude seems to engage with everyone in the thread and as stupid as he is you think a little if you were being too harsh until.. someone else finds a post from TCC.. this dude is a heroin injecting drug fiend.

This is not the worst thread.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The worst thread is very obviously the GBS Australia thread which seems to consist of an infinite loop of "lol weed, lol vodka, lol MDMA, lol Benzos, lol LSD, lol morphine, guys help my dick is bleeding, lol weed, lol vodka, lol MDMA, lol Benzos, lol LSD, lol morphine, guys my rear end has prolapsed and I've PM'd the thread regulars pictures"

Quite frankly is insulting and amateur hour that "the worst thread" is in the title of this thread.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

so I went into this E/N thread coz I was bored and it was about some guy that had a girl but she dumped him and now says she was never attracted to him and he sounded like he needed some support.. until you read his writing and discover he's a bit of a dick and probably should be sterilized.

How long did it take to realize you were reading your own diary?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

The worst thread is very obviously the GBS Australia thread which seems to consist of an infinite loop of "lol weed, lol vodka, lol MDMA, lol Benzos, lol LSD, lol morphine, guys help my dick is bleeding, lol weed, lol vodka, lol MDMA, lol Benzos, lol LSD, lol morphine, guys my rear end has prolapsed and I've PM'd the thread regulars pictures"

Quite frankly is insulting and amateur hour that "the worst thread" is in the title of this thread.

On the other hand you occasionally come across some great lifehacks. Like prolapsed rear end in a top hat guy discovered that his silicon rear end lube has like 4x the volume of his head shaving cream while being cheaper and is actually better for shaving his head.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tony Montana posted:

so I went into this E/N thread coz I was bored and it was about some guy that had a girl but she dumped him and now says she was never attracted to him and he sounded like he needed some support.. until you read his writing and discover he's a bit of a dick and probably should be sterilized. Anyway, you keep reading and the dude seems to engage with everyone in the thread and as stupid as he is you think a little if you were being too harsh until.. someone else finds a post from TCC.. this dude is a heroin injecting drug fiend.

You're an rear end in a top hat for not linking to it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

On the other hand you occasionally come across some great lifehacks. Like prolapsed rear end in a top hat guy discovered that his silicon rear end lube has like 4x the volume of his head shaving cream while being cheaper and is actually better for shaving his head.

I won't deny that it's a fascinating read and I keep up on it since discovering it. Isaac seems like a national treasure and I wish we had an equivalent in :canada:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is that better? :colbert:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Is that better? :colbert:

No. Also the worst thread is the WWE Thread.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I love you all but please for the love of god have mercy and talk about Formula 1. Most Euros understand and care as much about NASCAR and indycar as Americans do about cricket. :(

Somone in a news comments section posted somthing surprisingly accurate about Stroll. "Technically he may have been in the right but he's like a teenager who hasn't worked out that if somone is tailgating you then you don't slam on the brakes"

Also promised Honda update in Russia, but a F1 working group to help them has been set up anyway.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

Also promised Honda update in Russia, but a F1 working group to help them has been set up anyway.

Honda has been promising updates all the time. Maybe this time is the charm, lol.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It could be the best engine in the grid but they still ran out of engines for the year so every update from now on is going to give them a grid penalty. Which is exactly how Mercedes planned it all along, yeh we'll help you because we know drat well that you still can't beat us if we do :tinfoil:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

They will make an exception for Honda and the engine rule.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Oh man even the mods of the worst thread get probated.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

Oh yeah. "How do we get factories involved in prototype racing and keep prices reasonable..." and thus DPi was born. Hopefully soon enough ACO will go "alright, they can compete at Le Mans".

Hopefully in the entire WEC. IMSA is proving the ACO spec LMP2s can be competitive with them (hardly surprising, they're essentially the same cars).

Hell even if they still made them run the Gibson engine at LeMans and allowed the bodywork it'd be an improvement.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-close-to-honda-engine-deal-for-2018-897554/

Hopefully with 2 extra cars Honda can unfuck itself a wee bit faster.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Chiwie posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-close-to-honda-engine-deal-for-2018-897554/

Hopefully with 2 extra cars Honda can unfuck itself a wee bit faster.

Or at least watch their engines lunch themselves at twice their current burn rate.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
maclaren might beat someone

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

The presumption here isn't that Sauber are choosing between Ferrari or Honda. They're choosing between free Honda engines, or expensive Ferrari engines and bankruptcy /no development budget

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tony Montana posted:

I thought this was the leadup to a Poois Shamilton fakepost account. Which I would have fived.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

Or at least watch their engines lunch themselves at twice their current burn rate.

:homebrew:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 25, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The presumption here isn't that Sauber are choosing between Ferrari or Honda. They're choosing between free Honda engines, or expensive Ferrari engines and bankruptcy /no development budget

I think they're gambling that McLaren fucks off and they become the defacto works team, which isn't a bad gamble to make.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I think they're gambling that McLaren fucks off and they become the defacto works team, which isn't a bad gamble to make.

More like the barely works team. :downsrim:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ouch.

Sauber do have Previous form of working really well with BMW while it lasted, wouldn't it be funny if...

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
honda should only supply them if they go by BMW sauber - ... again

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Dubs posted:

honda should only supply them if they go by BMW sauber - ... again

BMW-Sauber-Ferrari, never4get

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How fast to GP2 cars go relative to F1 cars in the eras where people died all the time? Like of those links posted on the last page, surely at least 3 of them would've been fatalities with 1970s standards of safety.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Pretty sure GP2 cars were lapping faster than F1 backmarkers not long ago.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I'm in the unenviable position of moving house tomorrow so I'll be sans internet for a little while so, bold predictions!

- a mclaren will finish the race

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

enri posted:

I'm in the unenviable position of moving house tomorrow so I'll be sans internet for a little while so, bold predictions!

- a mclaren will finish the race

By "the" race i have to assume you're talking about the big race, the Indy 500.

Yeah, they might. Depends on the livery, if they put the garbage F1 livery on the indy car, not a fuckin chance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

By "the" race i have to assume you're talking about the big race, the Indy 500.

Yeah, they might. Depends on the livery, if they put the garbage F1 livery on the indy car, not a fuckin chance.

https://twitter.com/McLarenIndy/status/856841587330093057

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Good news for Red Bull fans as Mateschitz is reportedly setting up a right-wing media venture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

After ww3 and every right winger likely gets sent to labor camps how will they make money?

• Locked thread