Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Petr posted:

Well, it starts off by insinuating I'm some kind of anti-4e crusader who's been grinding an axe for years, and I'm bored of that poo poo. It wasn't even a strongly-held opinion until this blew up.

I am not insinuating you are an anti-4e crusader, I simply stated that you started by coming in using canned anti-4e speak. So people reacted. I really wish you would read that post as I go into the various things people complain about 4e, and how they actually existed in 3.x and prior editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Wasn't there also a warlord one where if you died one of your followers would take up your mantle so completely that they were, effectively, you.

This didn't stop you getting resurrected through normal means, at which point you would presumably nod meaningfully at the new you and throw them your hat before riding off into the sunset.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Very nearly every Epic Destiny had a resurrection clause, making you for all intents and purposes immortal. That's what I liked about high level 4e, it was basically gently caress reality, I do what I want.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SettingSun posted:

Very nearly every Epic Destiny had a resurrection clause, making you for all intents and purposes immortal. That's what I liked about high level 4e, it was basically gently caress reality, I do what I want.
Oh I know, just reminiscing about some of the more imaginative methods.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

CaptCommy posted:

There was a Warlord epic destiny that made it impossible for any of your allies to fall unconscious at 0 HP or die because of negative HP as long as you have at least 1 HP yourself.

There's also the Undying Warrior ED for fighters where if you die, you return to life at the start of the next turn. Each subsequent death that day only slightly increases the time it takes to resurrect (end of encounter, 1 hour, 12 hours, 24 hours).

This seems ripe for Torment-style experimenting with ways to die.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I had a nightmare last night that everyone showed up for D&D and I had absolutely nothing :negative:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay the new UA is finally up. More feats. This time Racial Feats. Though the file name is totally messed up.

Barbed Hide. For Tiefling, makes you more Intimidating, similar to the Skill feats, also a bonus to one of two attributes, and can extend barbs that hurt people in a grapple with you. Interesting, seems fairly flavorful. Wasn't there a Barbed Devil? Probably have some of that in your ancestry.

Bountiful Luck. For Halfling's who want to spread their Halfling Luck around to allies as a reaction. Interesting. Is a reaction so 1/round.

Critter Friend. For Forest Gnomes. You are better at talking with animals, another proficiency/expertise feat. Plus some spells. Fits the theme well.

Dragon Fear. Alternate Dragonborn breath option is back. Also +1 to one of two stats. Not really surprised this returned from previous editions.

Dragon Hide. Same stat options for the other, retractable claws, not a lot of damage but better than 1+str bludgeoning. +1 AC when unarmored. Well Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer here I come. Or Dragonborn Stone Sorcerer. Dragonborn Monk? Interesting. Not really surprising to have for Dragonborn.

Dragon Wings. ... Do not expect this to ever be acceptable in Adventure League. Gives you wings, flight, only 20ft so not super great. But it is at will flight so long as you aren't wearing heavy armor.

Drow High Magic. Drow of course. Hey now you don't have to be a 2nd level Warlock to cast Detect Magic at will. Or spend 10 minutes using it as a ritual. Two more 1/day spells that fit Drow. Not super surprising, Drow used to get a few spells automatically.

Dwarf Resilience. +1 Con, and uh wow... when you take the Dodge action in combat you can spend a hit die to heal.

Elven Accuracy. Super Advantage when you have advantage on a ranged attack roll, you can reroll one of the two dice once. Uh not sure if that is a good idea, but you are super accurate.

Everybody's Friend. Half-Elf. Half-Elf skills the featening. +1 Cha. Gain Deception and Persuasion, or expertise if you are already proficient. Half-Elf Rogue, pick this up and Skilled. So many skills. Or so many Expertises. This could be interesting. It is two specific skills of course.

Fade Away. +1 Int. 1/Short Rest turn invisible when missed with an attack as a reaction, lasts until end of your next turn, or you attack or damage something. Flavorful, if I remember correctly Gnomes already had something vaguely similar at some point?

Fey Step. High Elf. +1 Int and Misty Step 1/short rest. Well basically Eladrin.

Flames of Phlegethos. Good luck remember how to spell that. Fire. Tiefling. +1 to one of two mental stats. Basically great weapon fighting style, but for fire. When you cast spells that deal fire damage you become wreathed in flames for a round. Hurts to hit you after you cast a spell. Flavorful. Helps to build a Fire build.

Grudge-Bearer. Dwarf. What did you expect? +1 to one of holy poo poo three stats. You can probably guess which three a Dwarf feat might increase. You pick a creature type to hate. Like good ol Ranger favored enemy. Or two types if humanoid. So good? ol old ranger, not new shiny ranger. Have advantage against the chosen type in the first round of combat, they have disadvantage on OAs against you, basically expertise on certain knowledge skills made about your hated enemy, EVEN IF YOU AREN'T NORMALLY PROFICIENT IN THAT SKILL. All in all fairly flavorful if you are all about your dwarf having an ancient grudge against a creature type. Combine with new hotness ranger for profit?

Human Determination. Your choice. No really +1 to your choice of stat. 1/short rest advantage on whatever. It is Human the feat.

Infernal Constitution. Some demon resistances. Cold and Poison. Also advantage on saves vs poison. +1 Con. Simple direct. I think some Tielfling had similar resistances in the past so yeah.

Orcish Aggression. Orc racial trait, you bonus action move closer to your target. Now there is NO reason to play an Orc is there? Also that is litterally all this Half-Orc feat grants. That seems super weak compared to a lot of these other feats that at least add a stat boost.

Orcish Fury. So this one can increase the half-orcs stats. You can probably guess which two you have a choice of. You can 1/short rest add an extra die of damage to your weapon attack, so uh use it on a crit? Again it obviously works better with a d12 weapon, like the crit abilities of the half-orc, rather than a 2d6 weapon. Also when you survive because of Relentless Endurance you can Reaction make a weapon attack. Which uh pretty sure 4e had as a half-orc option, or a orc racial feature for monsters? Seems pretty good and feels like it overshadows Aggression.

Prodigy. Human or Half-Elf. As usual for those races good to go on any stat, +1 to any. Gain proficiency in 1 skill, 1 tool, and 1 language. Would say it puts Linguist and Skilled to shame, but you might not need the extra tools or languages, also only 2 races can take it.

Second Chance. More Halfling luck manipulation. 1/short rest when you get hit by a target you can see reaction to force the target to reroll the attack. Also +1 to one of 3 stats.

Squat Nimbleness. Halfling, Dwarf or Gnome. Shorties only. +1 to one of two stats. +5 speed. Acrobatics or Athletics, or Expertise in the chosen skill if you are already proficient. Yeah. Kind of makes up for the slow speed of these races, albeit it requires a feat.

Wonder Maker.Rock Gnome. +1 to one of 2 stats, have expertise in your Tinker Tools. 5 new options for little devices you can create with your racial ability. A nice expansion of the Rock Gnome's racial features.

and finally

Wood Elf Magic. Gain one druid cantrip. 1/day longstrider and pass without trace. This could be super good on a lot of builds. Wisdom based for any of those that matter, i.e. the cantrip.

All in all I think a lot of them were flavorful, a lot of callbacks to previous editions.

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Ryuujin posted:

Okay the new UA is finally up.

Elven Accuracy. Super Advantage when you have advantage on a ranged attack roll, you can reroll one of the two dice once. Uh not sure if that is a good idea, but you are super accurate.

The way I was reading this, it looked like you could use with melee as well since it doesn't specify. Which would be real nice for opening up with a rogue maybe?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

The way I was reading this, it looked like you could use with melee as well since it doesn't specify. Which would be real nice for opening up with a rogue maybe?

I read it the same way.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I just assumed it was ranged attacks because of course. But others have said it works not only in melee as well but with any attack rolls, like say Eldritch Blast. Good for a Barbarian who can Reckless, combined with say Great Weapon Master for the -5 to hit +10 damage, which is kind of mitigated by rolling 3 dice to hit. Add Champion 3 for better crit chance. Or go for a Rogue to be even more likely to hit with a sneak attack when you have advantage from whatever.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lots of those feats look really fun and I could actually see people maybe being willing to use odd numbers for them.

I wish it had an affirmative action feat for non-children of the fey so humans, dragonborn, and halflings could pick up darkvision or a suitable alternative, though.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

From the bookface:

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Kaysette posted:

beautiful dice probability curve
What's the site that graph is from, just out of interest? I found it a while ago but forgot to bookmark it, and it was really useful for plotting out weird dice probabilities.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Ambi posted:

What's the site that graph is from, just out of interest? I found it a while ago but forgot to bookmark it, and it was really useful for plotting out weird dice probabilities.

Don't know about that, but Anydice.com is p. goode

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ambi posted:

slap me and kiss me posted:

Don't know about that, but Anydice.com is p. goode

Yeah, it's anydice.com.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
They sure are giving us a lot of feats for a game with so few feat slots

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Too bad no one will ever use them because feats are optional.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
How much information should players have about the campaign before they begin? In the campaign I'm writing, the players have a pretty atypical start (escapees from a tyrannical beholder's compound) that might affect their character and background choices. I don't want them to feel like I'm railroading them or spoiling what I've got planned, though. At the same time, I'm worried that in the first ten minutes someone will be like "oh well if I'd known that, I wouldn't have picked X."

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

PMush Perfect posted:

Several of them are new to D&D, but a couple aren't.

It's looking like we've got a Monk, a Druid, a Bard, a Cleric, and a Paladin. Not sure what kinds yet. They're looking for something character-driven, maybe a little episodic (more likely I'll just be using mini-arcs and strapping them together). Not sure on the murderhobo, but I do have one of the players flagged as someone to keep an eye out for being the type to not really consider how their "funny" actions impact the fun of the group.

If the monk wants to play Way of Four Elements heavily consider using this unofficial revision. Class as written is suck.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I really feel like things ought to be balanced around having one feat at the start (and either rebuild or do away with Variant Human) because there's a lot of fun poo poo that just needs that one feat to work but who wants to put off scaling their most important stat for that long?

Either that or make feats less impactful and more common, not tied to the ASI. (Is that similar to how it worked in older editions?)

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

SettingSun posted:

Very nearly every Epic Destiny had a resurrection clause

"Once per day, when you die..."

The new feats look cool. It is depressing we get to use so few of them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really feel like things ought to be balanced around having one feat at the start (and either rebuild or do away with Variant Human) because there's a lot of fun poo poo that just needs that one feat to work but who wants to put off scaling their most important stat for that long?

Either that or make feats less impactful and more common, not tied to the ASI. (Is that similar to how it worked in older editions?)

In previous editions of the game, your feat slots and ability score increases were completely separate from each other.

It seems like here in 5th edition, they did the whole thing where ability score increases and feat slots are one and the same so that you could turn the feat slots into an optional rule, so that you could further claim that 5th edition removes all of the feat bloat that people disliked in the previous editions.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is this the first D&D where turn undead doesn't have a damage component? Does a paladin's channeled divinity stay at one charge, per day, forever? I haven't channeled divinity once. It seems like a lotta work to turn an undead, now you gotta chase them. Maybe it makes more sense for the most naked of clerics.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Krinkle posted:

Divine smite: You get 2d8 for the first spellslot, +1d8 for each additional spellslot higher than 1 you burn, and if you happen to hit an undead/fiend with it, you get an additional +1d8. So it feels like that little bonus damage for hitting an undead is weird. If I'm spellslot 1 level mad at a vampire he gets hit by 1d8 extra radiant. If I'm level 5 spellslot mad at him he gets hit by the exact same 1d8 extra radiant damage. Okay. Does this work in the other direction?

Advanced Divine Smite means i'm just always low level divine smiting literally everything. I show up I get 1d8 radiant damage. if I just hit a vampire with a regular attack at level 11 and automatically have half a divine smite's worth of damage in radiant added onto it, do I get the extra +1d8 for burning his tuchas with the light? I know I don't but it feels like I should. I'm not asking for extra or double dipping. Just some consistency. If it's going to remain the same no matter how large I go why wouldn't it remain the same no matter how small I go?

You are correct that, RAW, using Divine Smite on an Undead target only ever adds +1d8 radiant damage, no matter what level of spell slot you spend on the Smite.

Once you have Improved Divine Smite, everything you hit takes an extra +1d8 radiant damage, but Undead targets don't take extra damage unless you spend a spell slot to activate "normal" Divine Smite.

To summarize:

* Divine Smite, non-Undead target, level 1 spell slot: normal damage +2d8 radiant (that's +2d8 from Divine Smite only)
* Divine Smite, non-Undead target, level 2 spell slot: normal damage +3d8 radiant
* Divine Smite, non-Undead target, level 3 spell slot: normal damage +4d8 radiant

* Divine Smite, Undead target, level 1 spell slot: normal damage +3d8 radiant (that's +2d8 from Divine Smite, and +1d8 extra anti-Undead damage)
* Divine Smite, Undead target, level 2 spell slot: normal damage +4d8 radiant
* Divine Smite, Undead target, level 3 spell slot: normal damage +5d8 radiant

* Improved Divine Smite, non-Undead target, no spell slots used: normal damage +1d8 radiant
* Improved Divine Smite, Undead target, no spell slots used: normal damage +1d8 radiant
(effectively the same)

* Improved Divine Smite, non-Undead target, level 1 spell slot: normal damage +3d8 radiant (that's +1d8 from Improved Divine Smite, and +2d8 from Divine Smite)
* Improved Divine Smite, non-Undead target, level 2 spell slot: normal damage +4d8 radiant
* Improved Divine Smite, non-Undead target, level 3 spell slot: normal damage +5d8 radiant

* Divine Smite, Undead target, level 1 spell slot: normal damage +4d8 radiant (that's +1d8 from Improved Divine Smite, +2d8 from Divine Smite, and +1d8 extra anti-Undead damage)
* Divine Smite, Undead target, level 2 spell slot: normal damage +5d8 radiant
* Divine Smite, Undead target, level 3 spell slot: normal damage +6d8 radiant

I would agree with you that this might not seem entirely consistent.

Krinkle posted:

Is this the first D&D where turn undead doesn't have a damage component? Does a paladin's channeled divinity stay at one charge, per day, forever? I haven't channeled divinity once. It seems like a lotta work to turn an undead, now you gotta chase them. Maybe it makes more sense for the most naked of clerics.

Turn Undead has traditionally worked on a model of "the Undead is either Turned, which makes them run away from you, or they are outright destroyed if the Cleric is sufficiently high-level over the Undead target"

It was 4th Edition that was an outlier by making TU deal damage to Undead targets.

What you might be missing is that Clerics get the Destroy Undead ability at level 5, which does create that effect where their TUs can destroy Undead if there's a large level/CR gap between them and the Undead. The Paladins don't get that, which by RAW would mean that Paladin TUs only ever cause Undead to flee.

Channel Divinity only does ever stay at 1 charge, but it does come back with every Short (or Long) Rest, so you should be able to use it multiple times per day.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

nelson posted:

"Once per day, when you die..."

The new feats look cool. It is depressing we get to use so few of them.
I was looking at this and thinking "Man, playing a Dragonborn Fighter would be pretty baller, slowly turning yourself into a nightmare dragon. ...max 18 Str at level 12 though"

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
I feel like there should be sort of a lesser feat category that everyone gets one or two of. Feats like Lucky or any of the bonus action attack-granting options are strong enough to justify a full ASI, but many others aren't so much. They do, however, offer some specialization that'd be great to see in play more often. Most of the feats from the past two UAs would fit this if you dropped the +1 ability score bump, as would the lower-tier PHB feats like Charger, Grappler, etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slippery42 posted:

I feel like there should be sort of a lesser feat category that everyone gets one or two of. Feats like Lucky or any of the bonus action attack-granting options are strong enough to justify a full ASI, but many others aren't so much. They do, however, offer some specialization that'd be great to see in play more often. Most of the feats from the past two UAs would fit this if you dropped the +1 ability score bump, as would the lower-tier PHB feats like Charger, Grappler, etc.

This sort of hits at the heart of the problem where feats, even when they were completely separate from ASIs, were themselves terribly unbalanced because the relative power of a feat would vary wildly depending on what it did ... and that itself is born out of the problem of "what are feats?" was never really well-defined.

When 5e combines this with "now feats have to compete with ASIs, as well as among each other", they made it even worse. You've got stuff like Linguist adding a +1 Int as a tacit admission that a feat to make you a Linguist isn't ever going to goddamn measure up to getting closer to completing your 20 Int spell scaling*, but then you've also got stuff like Lucky that looks really "overbudget" because it adds an entirely new meta-resource for you to tap, and then you've also got Charger that you need just to re-enable a thing that you used to be able to do.

It's completely all over the place. I empathize with your feeling that maybe feats should be more tiered - it's messed up because feats don't have a better definition than "a basic building block for character customization", which is a largely useless definition when it comes to making compelling and interesting choices across all feats (and as an ASI competitor!)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

This sort of hits at the heart of the problem where feats, even when they were completely separate from ASIs, were themselves terribly unbalanced because the relative power of a feat would vary wildly depending on what it did ... and that itself is born out of the problem of "what are feats?" was never really well-defined.

When 5e combines this with "now feats have to compete with ASIs, as well as among each other", they made it even worse. You've got stuff like Linguist adding a +1 Int as a tacit admission that a feat to make you a Linguist isn't ever going to goddamn measure up to getting closer to completing your 20 Int spell scaling*, but then you've also got stuff like Lucky that looks really "overbudget" because it adds an entirely new meta-resource for you to tap, and then you've also got Charger that you need just to re-enable a thing that you used to be able to do.

It's completely all over the place. I empathize with your feeling that maybe feats should be more tiered - it's messed up because feats don't have a better definition than "a basic building block for character customization", which is a largely useless definition when it comes to making compelling and interesting choices across all feats (and as an ASI competitor!)
And on top of that you have the usual shared resource issue where you're paying for your fightgood out of the same pool as your talkgood or puzzlegood. Some of the feats in 5E are good about that in that they give you fightgood, talkgood, and puzzlegood in the same feat, and even two out of three would be fine, but you also have a lot of pure fightgoods and a few linguists.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
The 4E character builders used to include a little card, along with the power cards, for the GM that noted each characters Ability Scores, defenses, HP and passive scores. I couldn't find anything like that for 5E, So I knocked one up for my group.

I uploaded a PDF with 9 cards to a page here, in case anyone wants it.

Edit: drat, I should have added spell save DC. Oh well, I'll post a revision later if anyone wants it.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 25, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Awesome! Would it make sense to have the ability score be in the smaller circle, since it's rarely used directly? That's what MPMB's character sheet does and I liked it when I saw it.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Awesome! Would it make sense to have the ability score be in the smaller circle, since it's rarely used directly? That's what MPMB's character sheet does and I liked it when I saw it.

Maybe. The intent with the circles for saves is that they are just check boxes to note what saves the character has proficiency in. The DM can then add the ability mod and proficiency bonuses together if they need the save. But that might be less efficient.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
At this point ASIs should just not exist and the initial array for stats shoupd be boosted (since that's easier than redoing all the math that assumes asis will happen)

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Oh hey look, 129 new D&D posts, I wonder what they are talking about... Oh it's just weird :can:.

thefakenews posted:

I uploaded a PDF with 9 cards to a page here, in case anyone wants it.

Edit: drat, I should have added spell save DC. Oh well, I'll post a revision later if anyone wants it.

This is cool and good.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Petr posted:

How much information should players have about the campaign before they begin? In the campaign I'm writing, the players have a pretty atypical start (escapees from a tyrannical beholder's compound) that might affect their character and background choices. I don't want them to feel like I'm railroading them or spoiling what I've got planned, though. At the same time, I'm worried that in the first ten minutes someone will be like "oh well if I'd known that, I wouldn't have picked X."

Either tell them what the major differences are in your campaign: "Magic is wild and hard to control.", "Half the world has been invaded by demons." "The mages of Netheril have returned.", "The realm has fallen under a curse that slowly consumes the living." or don't.

If you don't, and they say, "Well gently caress if I knew that and it's reasonable my character would have done Y instead of X" you say, "Ok."

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
One of my players has an Oathbow he found in his previous DM's game, and I have no idea if I'm reading the item's description right. To me it looks like you don't get the Advantage, cover penetration, range bonus and bonus damage until the second shot. The first shot sets up the Sworn Enemy condition and then subsequent shots get the bonus, right? Am I crazy or being a dick here?

Garl_Grimm fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 25, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

User0015 posted:

Either tell them what the major differences are in your campaign: "Magic is wild and hard to control.", "Half the world has been invaded by demons." "The mages of Netheril have returned.", "The realm has fallen under a curse that slowly consumes the living." or don't.

If you don't, and they say, "Well gently caress if I knew that and it's reasonable my character would have done Y instead of X" you say, "Ok."

I can confirm from hard experience that trying to conceal important details about the campaign premise from the players rarely ends well.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

As far as the rules are concerned, can a pact of the blade warlock summon their pact weapon inside an anti magic field?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Wurzag posted:

As far as the rules are concerned, can a pact of the blade warlock summon their pact weapon inside an anti magic field?

Given the spell language around magical travel and items I wouldn't allow it. If the pact weapon was an actual bonded weapon and it was summoned before the AMF went into effect I'd let them keep it in hand, but if it was just a "any shape you want" pact weapon I'd make it disappear.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Petr posted:

Is it possible that more people escaped? If you want to keep it secret, have, like, more unidentified people escape. If after the session they're all "I would've played a different character", then bam, they're one of the other escapees, and the character they WERE playing runs off to their hometown or gets eaten or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Garl_Grimm posted:

One of my players has an Oathbow he found in his previous DM's game, and I have no idea if I'm reading the item's description right. To me it looks like you don't get the Advantage, cover penetration, range bonus and bonus damage until the second shot. The first shot sets up the Sworn Enemy condition and then subsequent shots get the bonus, right? Am I crazy or being a dick here?
Naturalistic language! The relevant Oathbow bits are

quote:

When you use this weapon to make a ranged Attack, you can, as a Command phrase, say, "Swift death to you who have wronged me." The target of your Attack becomes your sworn enemy
When you make a ranged Attack roll with this weapon against your sworn enemy (bonuses)
It could be read either way, but I think the intention is for it to work straight away (That's how our half-elf has been using it). If you want to get mechanical about it, it can be argued that "making a ranged attack" consists of the following stages:
1) Target someone.
2) Make a ranged attack roll.
3) On a hit, apply damage and on-hit effects.

So with an Oathbow:
1) Target someone.
1.5) Whisper the command word. They are now your sworn enemy.
2) Make a ranged attack roll, with advantage because they're your sworn enemy.
3) On a hit, apply damage and on-hit effects.

The actual limiter is it's a one target per day thing. If you Oathbow some random goblin you're all out of Oathbow until the next day. Not even long rest, it's explicitly "Dawn the next day".
e: and if your target doesn't die for whatever reason you're stuck with them as your only sworn enemy for seven days.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 25, 2017