Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Chump Farts posted:

I'm trying Mare Nostrum as France and it's kind of a slog. I'm taking 100 OE, coring, declaring war, then trucing the second the last batch is cored. I need a l good chunk of Ottoman land still, and will have to declare on Persia as well as two more wars against the pope. Think that is feasible in 90 years?

I managed, admittedly as the Ottomans because I'm a piece of poo poo, but it is possible. Take more OE. Take 100% war score. I've gotten to 241% OE when taking 100% warscore worth of provinces from asshats like Spain with the nationalism/imperialism CB.

Ideas were admin, influence, quantity, diplomatic, defensive, economic

Try and find tags with cores you can resurrect. In this game I managed to get a single Provencal core, then used the reconquest CB to give more Provencal cores back, dip annexed them, and released Burgundy, because they had an overlapping core in a single province. Then use reconquest CBs to get Burgundian cores back and diploannex them. Etcetera.

In your case, get a single mamluks core and then declare cheap wars to reconquer the rest. Keeps the AE down too and helps spread the cost of digesting all this crap over on to dip points.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Looks like Mingsplosion is back on the menu boys.

E: patch is live.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 25, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

quote:

- AI Tributary States, Colonial Subjects, and Daimyo Vassals now build spy networks only on their own behalf (not for their overlord).

Oh goody, no more having Spanish Mexico, Spanish Brazil, and Spanish Colombia all spamming spy missions on me constantly.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

canepazzo posted:

E: patch is live.

Oh neat, I started a great Byzantium game yesterday and now my save doesn't work. :smith:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh neat, I started a great Byzantium game yesterday and now my save doesn't work. :smith:

And my Grenada game :gonk:

I guess I can always try reverting.

Does this patch fix the colonial wars bug?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Looking at the event file, looks like the Horde disaster ticks at 1% per month for Ming, in peace time. 1.5% per at -10% warscore, and 3% at -25% score.

I think that's double what it was in 1.20 while at peace, but not sure how much it changed if any during losing wars.

Colonial nations:

quote:

Colonization
- Colonies can no longer attack all neighboring primitives (and they are now protected against them by their overlord).
- Colonies can now attack all independent nations with their capital in the New World (and are not protected against them by their overlord).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Taking the Mandate from Ming is still a trap because I don't see where they've changed how Mandate income works. Taking the Mandate might make Ming partly explode now, but you're still going to have a hugely negative Mandate income from a large neighboring non-tributary Ming, and there's no easy way to peel Ming's own tributaries off them. The changes in this patch are going to help playing in East Asia but tributaries are still kind of unbalanced.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Mr. Fowl posted:

And my Grenada game :gonk:

I guess I can always try reverting.

Does this patch fix the colonial wars bug?

It's no in the documentation, so I'm going to assume no unless proven wrong.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pellisworth posted:

Taking the Mandate from Ming is still a trap because I don't see where they've changed how Mandate income works. Taking the Mandate might make Ming partly explode now, but you're still going to have a hugely negative Mandate income from a large neighboring non-tributary Ming, and there's no easy way to peel Ming's own tributaries off them. The changes in this patch are going to help playing in East Asia but tributaries are still kind of unbalanced.

They need to make it so that a country with thr Lost Mandate modifier does not count against the mandate score.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

They need to make it so that a country with thr Lost Mandate modifier does not count against the mandate score.

Or as someone else in the thread suggested, if you have a truce then that nation doesn't penalize your Mandate.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Paradox says that Ming's own tributaries now tend to abandon Ming after a year or two once they lose the mandate.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I wasn't expecting this today (or this week even) so hooray!

Confucian Vietnam sounds like a fun playthrough.

The map changes are generally cool, especially the Vistula lagoon. I also want to try a Serbia game some time for Glorious Beograd.

Manchu is no longer a Chinese culture (which makes sense but I really want to know what the thought here was. Is this an attempt to nerf Ming?)

Forming Yuan is rediculous, requiring you to own a huge amount of the Steppe, a good chunk of China, and be the Emperor of China. It gives you a gently caress ton of claims, though it doesn't reform you or make you Confucian. You can do it as any Altaic culture state - you don't even need to be a horde, though you're not allowed to be one of a bunch of other tags (Ming, Manchu, Mughals, etc). I guess the requirement to be the Emperor of China narrows things down slightly as you need to fill the requirements for that (which IIRC is to be an eastern or pagan religion)

The NIs are absolutely insane as you might expect:

quote:

Yuan Traditions:

global manpower modifier +25%
cavalry power +20%

bonus = max states +5

Da Zai Qian Yuan = core creation cost -25%

A Savage Kingdom Holy and Enchanted = land morale +10%

The Three Teachings and Nine Schools Respected = technology cost -10%

Keshik and Weijun = shock damage dealt +10%

A Thousand Miles as if at Home = movement speed +15% :wtc:
envoy travel time -10%

Sino Mongol Administration = administrative efficiency +5% (this is 5% more reduced coring cost, warscore cost, overextension, etc)

Pax Mongolica = goods produced +10% (this is the single best 'make more money' modifier in the game I believe)

Significantly better than Ottoman, Mughal and Manchu ideas which were the previous best sets IMO (though in terms of raw military bonuses probably still slightly worse than some of the buffest European idea groups)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 25, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Admin efficiency in a national idea? Hot drat. I'm glad they're so powerful though, given how hard it is to form them.

Also they posted about the Manchu thing on the forums, it made Ming too keen on conquering the Jurchens.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I hope they taught the AI how to avoid the "Emperor of China only in name" disaster though honestly I don't know if the AI is even going to successfully form Qing in the first place.

I'm sad that unless I'm forgetting something you can't actually make the Uzbeks into the Emperors of China, at least not without doing religion shenanigans (which is just going to be a pain in the rear end)

Also no changes to absolutism re: making most government types redundant, which is a shame.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 25, 2017

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Oh poo poo, the Jurchen tribes start without feudalism :/ guess who starts with, though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nice map changes, cool flavor in my Hungary game. A good patch.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Any new achievements in this patch? Can't find mention of any.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Paradox says that Ming's own tributaries now tend to abandon Ming after a year or two once they lose the mandate.

Plus I think that with the 'mandate lost' modifier being longer lasting and worse now you're expected to crush Ming really loving hard in the next war after you take the Mandate, even if your own mandate isn't very good.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

canepazzo posted:

Oh poo poo, the Jurchen tribes start without feudalism :/ guess who starts with, though.

Uh, who? I'm not seeing the Mongols with it or anything.

That's an unexpected change though. I was really hoping with the East Asia patch we'd finally start seeing AI Qing, but it looks like that's almost as unlikely as before.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is significant:

quote:

- Institutions will no longer spread automatically in Trade Company member provinces after the owning country due to the owner country embracing them.

I think the big colonizers will assign all of their provinces to a trade company, whenever possible, so that's going to slow down institution spread to India, Western Africa, and the East Indies quite a bit. India will no longer be able to get free institution spread from having Portugal in Goa, for instance.

Also:

quote:

- Fixed bug that caused AI to never leave a coalition.

Of interest to those in Asia:

quote:

- Tributaries can now Vassalize other Tributaries.
- Vassals of a country annexed by a Tributary now correctly goes to the Tributary and not their overlord.
- Can no longer cancel Tributary Status while having a truce.
- Countries will no longer think their tributaries contribute to their relative strength.

And more humorously

quote:

- Personality Event 49 will no longer have you inviting yourself to a party if you hold more than one throne.
I think this is saying that if you had a PU then you could receive a party invitation from yourself

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Koramei posted:

Uh, who? I'm not seeing the Mongols with it or anything.

That's an unexpected change though. I was really hoping with the East Asia patch we'd finally start seeing AI Qing, but it looks like that's almost as unlikely as before.

Ming :(

Also not sure if it is part of the patch or not but other tributaries will not join you in wars vs. Ming as it would destablize them. Not even promising land - there goes the Oirat ally rush strategy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't like that steppe hordes pay so much for cavalry. In a kingdom way over in Europe then yes only the nobility and such could afford it with all the stables, horse breeding and training and so on but on the steppe if you want cavalry you just order your men to grab their weapons and mount up as usual. When your entire army are nomads and own their own horses it's not such an expense.

QuarkJets posted:

I think this is saying that if you had a PU then you could receive a party invitation from yourself
That makes more sense than holding a party and having to stay at home because you didn't receive an invite. :v:

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

quote:

Japanese flavor event "Attempted Coup" now much more rare.

Holy Christ yes please

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Node posted:

I wish I could. They have -1000 strategic interest malus to that. It would be funny... and tempting.

I managed to take a chunk out of Timurids, and then swallowed a small Persia as soon as they formed. My income is... positive. I owe 14 loans totaling 1300 gold. I had to deal with a civil war disaster. But I'm in the green! I hope I get REALLY lucky and some great power pays off my loan.

My question is, what next? The Timurids are spiraling out of control, although I have a truce with them. I have an idea group I can take, and my two biggest problems are stability and income. I want to try, even though it's likely I won't succeed, to unify islam. That would make Religious mandatory. And that would make Deus Vult entirely meaningless since I need to stay a horde. Since my economy is in the shitter still, Economics or (less likely) Trade would be a sound pick. Persia is a good node. Of course, if I want to conquer that much, I'll need administrative and Adaptability, which is not an idea group that helps you out of desperate situations, which I am in right now. What would you pick right now?

Economic Ideas are awesome for Hordes. The Autonomy reduction ticks during wartime which you'll be in a lot and the inflation and interest reduction help to manage your rampant debt.

Generally speaking for Horde games you just expand in the direction of least resistance. If you're truced with the Timurids then expand through Arabia or Africa. Going north through the Caucasus kinda sucks because then you're going to have Russia breathing down your neck but the other way lies the Ottomans so pick your poison.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Any pointers for a Florence - Italy - Mare Nostrum - Roman Empire run? Do I form Tuscany? Do I stay as a Republic as Italy? Influence and admin ideas? Which others?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Any pointers for a Florence - Italy - Mare Nostrum - Roman Empire run? Do I form Tuscany? Do I stay as a Republic as Italy? Influence and admin ideas? Which others?

forming Tuscany makes you a monarchy iirc so don't do that. Do whatever the heck you want when you form Italy cus you just won the dang game

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Drat, a Cyprus run had to die with the new update. Still, tried a Hungary game to see the new events and the black army just popped up. 10% discipline on mercs? Amazing

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Poil posted:

I don't like that steppe hordes pay so much for cavalry. In a kingdom way over in Europe then yes only the nobility and such could afford it with all the stables, horse breeding and training and so on but on the steppe if you want cavalry you just order your men to grab their weapons and mount up as usual. When your entire army are nomads and own their own horses it's not such an expense.

Pure Tengri is a 20% army maintenance and 60% loyalty tribes gives a cavalry cost reduction of about 10-20% so you can actually get your cavalry costs down pretty far because most of the hordes have a 10% or so army maintenance reduction. That being said, horde economies are loving terrible and Economic/Defensive idea combination is really useful for them. I should point out that the most important thing Nurhaci did in his bid to unify the tribes was seize control over as much of the trade income and economic potential of his territory as possible so if you want to form Qing I recommend doing the same and focus on boosting your income so you can actually maintain your horde armies.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 26, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Quick question: In my Germany game, Sardinia is the HRE emperor and Austria is the lone elector. There's barely ten countries as members. What do I need to do to undo the HRE? Invade Sardinia or Austria?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^^^probably both. You will definitely have to invade Sardinia and occupy its capital, but you also need every elector (just Austria in this case) to be either on your side (as an ally or vassal), or on the enemy side with its capital occupied by you.

Senor Dog posted:

forming Tuscany makes you a monarchy iirc so don't do that. Do whatever the heck you want when you form Italy cus you just won the dang game

I feel like you probably should switch to monarchy at some point if you're going for Mare Nostrum. I mean, yeah it's possible to form Rome as a republic but you're going to have a MUCH easier time of it if you can PU even one of the major European players.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 26, 2017

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
So, is the new province of Belgrade part of Mare Nostrum? If so, I can't find a revert patch and that would be really lovely of paradox.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Go to properties -> beta -> 1.20

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Can you still get achievements on old patches?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mountaineer posted:

Can you still get achievements on old patches?

If those achievements existed in that patch, then yes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Did they ever fix that glitch that meant the game never ends, incidentally? Or can we just always go back to 1.20 now to abuse that.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

That's what I was thinking. 1.20 might be the ideal patch for time-consuming achievements like Mare Nostrum or Three Mountains because of the exploit that lets you ignore the end date.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Hoooooly poo poo, gently caress this patch. Now I can't get a RM with the Mamluks because of -50 too many diplomatic relations.

e: ... but now I can become a tributary of Ming. Easy mode activated, I guess.

Node fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 26, 2017

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Hmm, sukhothai is a vassal of ayutthaya who is a tributary of ming. To fabricate a claim on sukhothai you need a spy network in ming, not ayutthaya. :psyduck:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Hungary trip report: the Black Army seems like a neat idea but it only exists from like 1460-1510 and it is waaaay too expensive to be able to afford more than a handful of mercs. Eh.

Also, Ottomans have repeatedly just ignored my forts and waltzed over the mountains to siege my capital and other interior provinces. Yes, I've watched that youtube on weird fort Zone of Control mechanics but I can't explain it.

Their army looped around through Poland, walked right past my fort in Zemplen. Then they gave up trying to siege my capital and walked right back out again, past the fort. :iiam:

It went from Przemysl (Poland, my ally in the war) into my fort in Zemplen, into Szolnok and started sieging my capital Pest.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pellisworth posted:

Hungary trip report: the Black Army seems like a neat idea but it only exists from like 1460-1510 and it is waaaay too expensive to be able to afford more than a handful of mercs. Eh.

Also, Ottomans have repeatedly just ignored my forts and waltzed over the mountains to siege my capital and other interior provinces. Yes, I've watched that youtube on weird fort Zone of Control mechanics but I can't explain it.

Post a screenshot and someone will tell you how they did it.

• Locked thread