Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

DoW III will just exist in a perpetual cycle of additional $15 DLC race packs, no DoW 4 needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Deakul posted:

DOW2 was pretty alright but I actually love base building so DOW3 is probably even better!

Dow3 doesn't really have base building tho

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BadLlama posted:

DoW III will just exist in a perpetual cycle of additional $15 DLC race packs, no DoW 4 needed.

Given how much 2 changed its gonna be interesting seeing where dow3 is at 3 years from now and 2 expansions in.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BadLlama posted:

It's going to be like that train sperg game that has 100s of individual DLC packs @ $15/pop.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Delacroix posted:

Nah, I'll think I'll just build my stuff slightly outside the centre map point straight away because a single player can't stop a waagh tower going up that early, your teammates are sticking to their dota lane and ork t0 boyz can tie up basic units until the lootas, zapnoggin, nobs and deff dreads arrive, in that order. :nallears:

Why would I bother building inside the starting zone when I can place buildings closer to the action and perpetuate the low impact violence loop DoW3 has going for little risk, time and effort. I am acquainted with FHQ clusterfuckery from CoH2, this is not the first time relic has repeated this mistake.

You seem to know light infantry scratch buildings unless they dogpile it during construction so having a reinforcement point one screen away from middle is a no brainer and decided to pick on that instead of picking on blob vs blob gameplay unironically.

Orks own because you can literally use your enemies former forward base as building blocks for another forward base for yourself. Same with your own destroyed forward base. Basically Orks play like the Super Space Cockroaches they are lore-wise and it rules.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wait dawn of wars expansions have all been 1 year apart, where was I getting a year and a half from...

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Nasgate posted:

Orks own because you can literally use your enemies former forward base as building blocks for another forward base for yourself. Same with your own destroyed forward base. Basically Orks play like the Super Space Cockroaches they are lore-wise and it rules.

It also rules that every ork tactic in this is "be extremely orky at them".

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Kind of wish Chaos made it in first go and their super unit was just a big rear end demon dude. I think they have a walker like the other guys but big rear end demon dudes are better.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Nasgate posted:

Orks can use building wrecks to make their own? I thought it was only vehicles.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Stanley Pain posted:

So what you're saying is they removed a lot of the tedium and instead focused on make base building a more strategic or tactical thing.

Yeah. The choices are way more relevant, and the basebuilding is mostly there to allow you to improve your map control. I often have games where I build my first barracks structure forward (but not super far forward), then "leapfrog" up with my second structure as I take more terrain. Further, they chose to make structures (other than vehicle structures) quite inexpensive, which means that if your forward barracks gets destroyed, the main thing you've lost is time and position. This combines in a really interesting way - DoW3 is probably the most comeback-friendly RTS I've ever played. I've lost major battles and had my forward base wiped out, but still been able to come back - in most games, even past Relic titles, that generally hasn't been the case.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Orks can use building wrecks to make their own? I thought it was only vehicles.

You can throw up cheap quick waaagh towers from wrecks . Lets you get the next push going faster.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Stanley Pain posted:

Dow 4 is gonna suck because it's not Dow I, II or III :byodame:

A lot of the posting about DoW3 gives me flashbacks to DoW2's release because absolute tons of people loving hated DoW2 with a burning passion because it wasn't DoW1.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Kanos posted:

A lot of the posting about DoW3 gives me flashbacks to DoW2's release because absolute tons of people loving hated DoW2 with a burning passion because it wasn't DoW1.

Still do.

The campaign was alright though and Last Stand was good.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 25, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

I'll see you in the Dow IV thread soon enough :anime:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

This.

Only with the added irony of it being done by the people who defended dow2.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BadLlama posted:

Still do.

The campaign was alright though and Last Stand was good.

:same:

The cover and CP system was neat but it was done way, way better in Company of Heroes. If they gave DOWIII levels of lethality to DOWII it would have been awesome.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I hope we can all agree the worst thing about any dawn of war / warhammer games is the posters

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

I hope we can all agree the worst thing about any dawn of war / warhammer games is the posters

Looks like someone hasn't played Eternal Crusade yet

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Artum posted:

This.

I liked DOW1 a lot, and DOW2 even more. I don't like DOW3 for reasons I've laid out in the thread, primary among them being that I find the gameplay stiff and unexciting, not "because it's a MOBA!" Stop loving mischaracterizing everyone who disagrees with you as some sort of idiot grognard.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Mordja posted:

I liked DOW1 a lot, and DOW2 even more. I don't like DOW3 for reasons I've laid out in the thread, primary among them being that I find the gameplay stiff and unexciting, not "because it's a MOBA!" Stop loving mischaracterizing everyone who disagrees with you as some sort of idiot grognard.

And I call bullshit on that when the closest point of comparison for the moment to moment gameplay is its DoW1 except units can actually path in a fight so micro isn't literally impossible.

Artum fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 25, 2017

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
In DoW1 I could tell what the hell was going on because they didn't go completely overboard with the effects and my units weren't made of paper. It resembles DoW1 with it's army sizes but not much else.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Senjuro posted:

In DoW1 I could tell what the hell was going on because they didn't go completely overboard with the effects and my units weren't made of paper. It resembles DoW1 with it's army sizes but not much else.

I dunno in DoW by late mid to end game your tier 1 fodder would get annihilated pretty quickly. Not as quick as DoW3 but almost to the same point where there would be no time to react with your tier 1 troop fodder. DoW3 line troops dont seem to get as much durability as they up tier as units did in DoW.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Don't forget that it was also a lot easier to reinforce and that kept squads alive longer too.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I can't decide if I wanna buy or not. While the multiplayer looks fun, I am extremely poo poo at mp RTS. I thoroughly enjoyed the previous 2 games' campaigns but this one doesn't look too promising. I do actually like the visuals though.

If I just wait for the price to drop, I'll be at an even bigger disadvantage as everyone will already be all practiced up. I'm kinda hoping that it will have a reasonably long lasting and sizeable player base so matchmaking actually has something to work with.

Doesn't help that the thread is pretty much split on the game. Ah, who am I kidding it's a DoW game, I'll end up buying the bloody thing.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

el dingo posted:

I'm kinda hoping that it will have a reasonably long lasting and sizeable player base

Really wouldn't count on this.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Vargs posted:

Really wouldn't count on this.

To this day you can get a game of dow2 at any hour of the day despite vast swathes of people saying the same.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Artum posted:

This.

You realize you're being just as insufferable as the couple of guys who are still in here consistently bitching, right?

People are allowed to dislike a game they have now played the beta for, and are allowed to enumerate on why. Most who have done so have said their piece and moved on. Their opinions are valid. Yours are not some sort of universal truth. Stop being a twat and post poo poo about the game you're enjoying instead of just accusing everyone else of idiocy for not enjoying it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Zore posted:

Dow3 doesn't really have base building tho

Doesn't it? Could've swore I saw power generators and unit production buildings getting plopped down in some gameplay vids.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

Doesn't it? Could've swore I saw power generators and unit production buildings getting plopped down in some gameplay vids.

It has pretty light base building.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Psycho Landlord posted:

You realize you're being just as insufferable as the couple of guys who are still in here consistently bitching, right?

People are allowed to dislike a game they have now played the beta for, and are allowed to enumerate on why. Most who have done so have said their piece and moved on. Their opinions are valid. Yours are not some sort of universal truth. Stop being a twat and post poo poo about the game you're enjoying instead of just accusing everyone else of idiocy for not enjoying it.

Sorry if I'm being annoying. It just gets profoundly wearing after months of "this is a dumb game for babbies, not like GLORIOUS DoW# :911:" when every game thus far has had serious faults, but has still been pretty good.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Deakul posted:

There's four main buildings per race, a universal turret, and then each race has a macro gimmick. The base building is exactly as deep as it needs to be to not distract from the micro, and every race has built in mechanics that encourage the players to build forward bases during the match.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Artum posted:

Sorry if I'm being annoying. It just gets profoundly wearing after months of "this is a dumb game for babbies, not like GLORIOUS DoW# :911:" when every game thus far has had serious faults, but has still been pretty good.

I totally get where you're coming from. It's been frustrating to like this game for the past month or so while the game has been universally shat on, in every community I'm a part of, and for a lot of reasons that objectively aren't true.

Still, we're finally at a point where positive discussion is happening and that's really good. Hopefully people that continue to dislike it for legitimate reasons and people that really enjoy it can try to keep the conversation healthy before the game's niche community kills itself.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

el dingo posted:

I can't decide if I wanna buy or not. While the multiplayer looks fun, I am extremely poo poo at mp RTS. I thoroughly enjoyed the previous 2 games' campaigns but this one doesn't look too promising. I do actually like the visuals though.

If I just wait for the price to drop, I'll be at an even bigger disadvantage as everyone will already be all practiced up. I'm kinda hoping that it will have a reasonably long lasting and sizeable player base so matchmaking actually has something to work with.

Doesn't help that the thread is pretty much split on the game. Ah, who am I kidding it's a DoW game, I'll end up buying the bloody thing.

I bought it at $45 mostly because I'm desperate for new RTS games as of late.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Despite my complaints I might end up getting it after a bit because there are glimpses of a good game, it just needs a lot of fine tuning to make it really good. Plus all RTSes are hard until you get the meta down.

That and I too am starving for new RTSes :negative:

E. Although for those who just need an RTS hit, check out Steel Division: Normandy 44. It's Wargames: WWII and pretty good

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 25, 2017

Davidus
Jul 26, 2016
The thing that's been niggling at me with this release is the different voice actor for Gabriel Angelos, he's gone from a shakespearean hammed up hero to a ... Jock with speech impediments

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

EDIT: ^^^ If I remember right, Relic actually has some bullshit canon reason for this. Apparently there's a flaw in the Blood Raven's geneseed that results in random voice changing every couple of years or something. Stupid, but kinda funny.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Despite my complaints I might end up getting it after a bit because there are glimpses of a good game, it just needs a lot of fine tuning to make it really good. Plus all RTSes are hard until you get the meta down.

That and I too am starving for new RTSes :negative:

E. Although for those who just need an RTS hit, check out Steel Division: Normandy 44. It's Wargames: WWII and pretty good

This is sort of where I'm at. I wasn't a fan of the beta gameplay overmuch, but I also didn't get to spend a lot of time with it. I'm super disappointed by the lack of spectacle in combat, because that was one of Dawn of War's main selling points for me in the face of better RTS games, but if this drops and the core gameplay does end up being some diamond in the rough I may still spring for it.

Also seconding the Steel Division recommendation, that game looks fun as hell, and if you liked Wargame at all, it appears to have fixed most issues with Wargame's model.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Psycho Landlord posted:

EDIT: ^^^ If I remember right, Relic actually has some bullshit canon reason for this. Apparently there's a flaw in the Blood Raven's geneseed that results in random voice changing every couple of years or something. Stupid, but kinda funny.

That was a joke from /tg/ and 1d4chan.

The most ironic thing about the change of tone in gabriels voice is that they got an actual English voice actor instead of the Canadian Dobson brothers. So they get a brit to voice him and replace his eloquence with thuggery.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

BadLlama posted:

DoW2 was very bad so this is a good thing.

DoW2 might be the rts I played in multiplayer most.

Also it had the best Ork campaign, the real way to judge a game.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Deakul posted:

There are resource generators, but you don't build them in your base - it's more like the power generator mechanic from DoW2, where you construct them on the points you capture (and don't even need workers to do so). The economy is definitely still a Relic RTS and not Starcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Also unlike the previous game you have to build on the points to get anything, iirc you don't get resources just for owning the point. Which means it's just as effective to jump on an enemy point, raze everything to the ground, and jump back out again without capturing the point.

• Locked thread