Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean, the biggest ~GW killer~ that looks like poo poo is, in fact, GW's poo poo. Dunking on Mantic (which gets done lots in the Mantic thread) hardly carries any meaning when their success is almost entirely predicated on GW slamming itself repeatedly in the face.

So can we pretty please dunk on Mantic in this thread too? GW is dunked on plenty in the relevant threads, or are there rules for one game company and not another and we should be banned for thoughtcrimes against anything other than GW? After all, don't gundams put both the stormtalon and that mantic flier both to shame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Say what you want, like it or not, but the Stormtalon at least is a product of design.

I already bought a doorstop, and the stormtalon doesn't look great even as a doorstop

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

You guys misunderstand, I want to ban myself for starting it.

:shepicide:

The OP of the original thread attempted this by quoting the entire John Galt speech during a similar derail. Just trying to give you some ideas.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Hamshot posted:

So can we pretty please dunk on Mantic in this thread too? GW is dunked on plenty in the relevant threads, or are there rules for one game company and not another and we should be banned for thoughtcrimes against anything other than GW? After all, don't gundams put both the stormtalon and that mantic flier both to shame?

I am totally 100% cool with dunking on stupid Mantic poo poo and stupid poo poo done by any games company and I think this thread should be used to poo poo on every company that makes lovely decisions. The thing is, and this is why this thread exists in the first place, when people dunk on Mantic in the Mantic thread, no one cares and in fact most of us join in. They're not malicious, but they're incredibly boneheaded and their models are often loving trash. But most of the people in the Mantic thread came from GW and are no longer so beholden to brand loyalty that we lose our minds when people make fun of the company. So there hasn't been a pressing need to have a separate place where Mantic fans won't freak out when people are critical of Mantic.

Spiderdrake posted:

I think they're just venting their insecurities over their hobby and it's nothing to get offended by. Atlas Hugged's earnest conversation is sadly wasted though.

It's OK. I have to do something while I'm waiting for layers on my lovely Mantic elves to dry.

Just kidding. I finished those a year ago. I'm working on a project a goon sent me!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That's the thing, though. There isn't anyone on SA who will mindlessly defend GW anymore. It's just a bunch of people trying desperately to troll the 40k thread right now while people go 'Hrm, this seems better than we'd usually expect out of GW' because they seem to be making some slight attempt at being less terrible.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

*Shrug* I'm trying to be fair and critical of Mantic as well as GW but they're clearly not interested in having an actual conversation. So I'm just going to take my own advice and stop replying to them at all.

I mean it's the Death Thread. It can be the Death of all games Thread. I'm cool with that. I just want reasonable discussion is all.

I would think that the "death of all games" thread with a thread full of regulars who mostly self describe themselves as not actually playing games would not facilitate an actual discussion and instead would create a tiresome circlejerk that drive by shitposters troll effortlessly. I dunno tho, we don't really have any other threads for comparison.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I would think that the "death of all games" thread with a thread full of regulars who mostly self describe themselves as not actually playing games would not facilitate an actual discussion and instead would create a tiresome circlejerk that drive by shitposters troll effortlessly. I dunno tho, we don't really have any other threads for comparison.

Except I think just about everyone here does play games? I know I do and when someone does an informal poll asking what people are playing or have played recently there are a bunch of replies. I know a lot of us are busy with work and family and don't play as often as we'd like, but at the same time lots of people who "engage in the GW hobby" just spend money on models and don't do anything else.

That also sounds awfully close to the "if you don't make movies how can you be critical of my movie" fallacy. A lovely business decision is a lovely decision decision regardless of when the last time I rolled a D6 was.

Liquid Communism posted:

That's the thing, though. There isn't anyone on SA who will mindlessly defend GW anymore. It's just a bunch of people trying desperately to troll the 40k thread right now while people go 'Hrm, this seems better than we'd usually expect out of GW' because they seem to be making some slight attempt at being less terrible.

I don't know anything about trolling the GW thread or what the attitude in there is like. I figure since we do have the Death Thread, I'll keep criticism to here and let people more invested in GW than me discuss the game and business on their terms. So I have no idea if the GW defenders in this thread are earnest or not. They certainly don't seem interested in having actual discussion though.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Liquid Communism posted:

woah really because it sure looks to me like a bunch of people jumped into this thread just now to defend selling books which you then obsolete within months as a normal and reasonable business practice

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device web series. All but one of the custodes are portrayed as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure characters with a custodes helm.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device web series. All but one of the custodes are portrayed as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure characters with a custodes helm.

that sounds amazing

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

woah really because it sure looks to me like a bunch of people jumped into this thread just now to defend selling books which you then obsolete within months as a normal and reasonable business practice

My comment was literally "GW is offering a voucher for books sold in the 8 weeks prior to the announcement. I am surprised they are doing this" and then people lost their goddamn minds, literally suggesting it was the minimum they could possibly do when actually the option of "not doing anything" was already on the table and was the option I was expecting that they would take

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 25, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Except I think just about everyone here does play games? I know I do and when someone does an informal poll asking what people are playing or have played recently there are a bunch of replies. I know a lot of us are busy with work and family and don't play as often as we'd like, but at the same time lots of people who "engage in the GW hobby" just spend money on models and don't do anything else.

That also sounds awfully close to the "if you don't make movies how can you be critical of my movie" fallacy. A lovely business decision is a lovely decision decision regardless of when the last time I rolled a D6 was.

I don't know anything about trolling the GW thread or what the attitude in there is like. I figure since we do have the Death Thread, I'll keep criticism to here and let people more invested in GW than me discuss the game and business on their terms. So I have no idea if the GW defenders in this thread are earnest or not. They certainly don't seem interested in having actual discussion though.

I was the person who did the informal poll, and over half of the people with the most posts in this thread don't actually play tabletop games at all, and most of the rest had only played 1-3 times in the past 6 months. It's really weird how much they care about people having the incorrect kind of fun imo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Normal and reasonable? No. Par for the course with GW? Of loving course.

Like I said, a minimal and slight attempt at not being terrible.

Edit : I can't even really ascribe it to malice, just incompetence. Same as releasing the Old World based Total War at the same time nothing in it was really in the game anymore. Pure right hand not communicating with the left hand poo poo.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 25, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
You guys act like this is the norm and not the exception to the rule. Almost every company on Earth will be more than happy to sell you a product that will be out of date/invalidated tomorrow and give you absolutely nothing for the privilege.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was the person who did the informal poll, and over half of the people with the most posts in this thread don't actually play tabletop games at all, and most of the rest had only played 1-3 times in the past 6 months. It's really weird how much they care about people having the incorrect kind of fun imo.

If I could steer one person into playing Inis or Food Chain Magnate or Broom Service instead of horrible trash like Munchkin and CAH and have those be the pinnacle of board gaming for them, you bet your rear end I will.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

berzerkmonkey posted:

You guys act like this is the norm and not the exception to the rule. Almost every company on Earth will be more than happy to sell you a product that will be out of date/invalidated tomorrow and give you absolutely nothing for the privilege.

Yeah Mantic did it to a guy at our club with King's of War.

To be fair to them he complained and they gave him a 50% off next order coupon. We all then ordered £800 worth of models between us.

Good times until you realise the models aren't very good

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

If I could steer one person into playing Inis or Food Chain Magnate or Broom Service instead of horrible trash like Munchkin and CAH and have those be the pinnacle of board gaming for them, you bet your rear end I will.

Somebody at the local game shop I was at this past weekend handed my a flyer for an upcoming even that had, among other things, a Munchkin tournament. I cannot easily imagine a more miserable, pointless experience than playing in a Munchkin tournament

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Fair enough. I guess I read the responses differently. Seemed to me like people played the same games regularly rather than not playing games at all or playing different games every week. But maybe you're right and no one else plays games.

Wouldn't really matter though for the two other reasons I posted before.

Serotonin posted:

Yeah Mantic did it to a guy at our club with King's of War.

To be fair to them he complained and they gave him a 50% off next order coupon. We all then ordered £800 worth of models between us.

Good times until you realise the models aren't very good

I'm surprised by this, though I shouldn't be. I thought Mantic had done a pretty good job of taking stuff off their store before launching a new project.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

Somebody at the local game shop I was at this past weekend handed my a flyer for an upcoming even that had, among other things, a Munchkin tournament. I cannot easily imagine a more miserable, pointless experience than playing in a Munchkin tournament

:stare:

TheChirurgeon posted:

that sounds amazing
These are what show up as custodes for me and it's what I expected when I heard GW was doing a custodes army:

You can imagine I was disappointed.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

Oodles posted:

What game is most similar to Necromunda? I'm looking to scratch that itch again.

Comedy option : Necromunda Reboot.

Late reply: This is not a Test
Think Necromunda in the Fallout Universe that uses d10s. It scratches that itch perfectly with lots of modelling options out there.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chill la Chill posted:

These are what show up as custodes for me and it's what I expected when I heard GW was doing a custodes army:

haha that's loving amazing. I kind of liked the new custodes but now I'm disappointed with them too

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Presumably you play board games at least occasionally though- I'd trust your recommendation on a new game to play. The people in the thread who have railed against GW the loudest and most consistently don't even play other tabletop games. I don't get it- it's clearly not the hobby for you, but why declare war on it and post continuously about it for years on end, and not against something just as frivolous and expensive like model railroading, studio photography, or carpentry with exotic woods? People spend their money on stupid poo poo that makes them happy, let's discuss how dumb they are for enjoying themselves for a bunch of thousand page threads.

tallkidwithglasses fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 25, 2017

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

People spend their money on stupid poo poo, let's discuss how dumb they are for enjoying themselves for a bunch of thousand page threads.

... Yes? Are you new here?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm trying to think of who doesn't play games at all and I can only think of two and only one of those guys is particularly loud.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Stop replying to him ffs

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

At our local game night, some friends of ours pulled out Munchkin claiming they'd heard great things about it and that "it looked like fun" though they'd never played it before. Thankfully we ended up playing Werewolf instead as I was not looking forward to having to explain why Paul had wasted his money.

I have played Munchkin twice already.

Even once was too much.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Where was the second image from?

Deino posted:

At our local game night, some friends of ours pulled out Munchkin claiming they'd heard great things about it and that "it looked like fun" though they'd never played it before. Thankfully we ended up playing Werewolf instead as I was not looking forward to having to explain why Paul had wasted his money.

I have played Munchkin twice already.

Even once was too much.
Do you even play Munchkin? You sound overly invested in hating a game other people find fun.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

True facts: I would have bought anywhere between 5-10 GW Custodes minis provided they were muscular science fiction men and the quality of their muscles and bulges met my standards.

e: both are equally scored, but the bulges are pretty important. Could have also used these hypothetical minis as tom of finland minis now that I think about it

Presumably you play board games at least occasionally though- I'd trust your recommendation on a new game to play. The people in the thread who have railed against GW the loudest and most consistently don't even play other tabletop games. I don't get it- it's clearly not the hobby for you, but why declare war on it and post continuously about it for years on end, and not against something just as frivolous and expensive like model railroading, studio photography, or carpentry with exotic woods? People spend their money on stupid poo poo that makes them happy, let's discuss how dumb they are for enjoying themselves for a bunch of thousand page threads.

Sure, I assumed people here mostly played those too. I play infinity and will soon be playing scrappers as my go-to SF games and will be steering people into playing those instead. "But I don't even have a fully painted 40k army for infinity!" "No prob fam, you only need like 10 models." It gets around the whole unpainted army business for the most part which is something I like to avoid when I can. I play proxy infinity when I can and I actively steer people away from what I perceive to be a bad game. I also post in the bad minis thread so I actually do make fun of people paying hundreds of dollars only for the privilege to dunk them in paint sauce.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 25, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

A Munchkin tournament sounds like some sort of suicide pact.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chill la Chill posted:

Sure, I assumed people here mostly played those too. I play infinity and will soon be playing scrappers as my go-to SF games and will be steering people into playing those instead. "But I don't even have a fully painted 40k army for infinity!" "No prob fam, you only need like 10 models." It gets around the whole unpainted army business for the most part which is something I like to avoid when I can. I play proxy infinity when I can and I actively steer people away from what I perceive to be a bad game. I also post in the bad minis thread so I actually do make fun of people paying hundreds of dollars only for the privilege to dunk them in paint sauce.

It's going to be at least another two weeks before Scrappers gets out here. I'm far more likely to get a game of that in than a game of Firefight even though I have 3 Firefight armies just sitting here that people could borrow.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

TheChirurgeon posted:

My comment was literally "GW is offering a voucher for books sold in the 8 weeks prior to the announcement. I am surprised they are doing this" and then people lost their goddamn minds, literally suggesting it was the minimum they could possibly do when actually the option of "not doing anything" was already on the table and was the option I was expecting that they would take

na man I didn't mean you. I meant people making lunatic car analogies, or eg.

berzerkmonkey posted:

which is either wrong or missing the point entirely. it is not, in fact, normal for games companies to publish new products and then obsolete them shortly afterwards. giving a small fraction of the people who bought those books store credit, provided they kept their receipts, is nice but not much of a mitigating factor

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm someone who actually doesn't mind Munchkin and I still can't imagine why anyone would play it tourney style.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm trying to think of who doesn't play games at all and I can only think of two and only one of those guys is particularly loud.

Ashcans, spectralent and leperflesh all post continuously in these threads and don't actually play any (edit:tabletop) games.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Where was the second image from?

Either the rogue trader book or one of its supplements.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

But only because they've never had a free moment in their entire lives

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ashcans, spectralent and leperflesh all post continuously in these threads and don't actually play any (edit:tabletop) games.

I think at least two of them were heavily invested in GW and sick of getting burned, so it's kind of understandable that they'd have an interest in watching GW gently caress up. Maybe it would be healthier to move on, but I don't really know how much time they invest in this thread.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Stop replying to him ffs

I try to make it a policy to reply to anyone who is attempting an actual conversation even if I disagree with them. Otherwise the pages are just filled with garbage trolling.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of scrappers is it worth buying for my enjoyment of scifi campaign games? Or do I give it a miss?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

mcjomar posted:

On the subject of scrappers is it worth buying for my enjoyment of scifi campaign games? Or do I give it a miss?

I've skimmed through Brink of Battle which this is based on and it's a lot of D10 opposed rolls. The meat of the game is in all of the different skill and equipment configurations, so there should be loads of stuff to sink your teeth into. But as I said above I won't have my copy for a few more weeks because international shipping is a bitch and I can't say for sure whether or not it's a good game.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I had a mediocre joke post here, but I'm on my phone and it autocorrected to "i am gay," and I can think of no better post, let alone for this thread

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

"GW is no longer making GBS threads directly into your mouth, so now they're good, you can't hate them anymore, also lol if you don't savor the taste of human feces :smuggo:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your astartes, the titans, the prometheum, and the whole fleet, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway to the Eye of Terror. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

• Locked thread