Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

It's a wonderful fact of the internet that the guy who yells "I'm not mad" the most is in fact the most mad. If nothing else, KC can rest easy in the knowledge that for a brief moment the night sky was lit like daylight by the brilliant flare of his meltdown.

What if you're legitimately not mad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

This game makes the release of WWII Online look benign.

WWII online was my personal SC. I have never been so ridiculously excited for a game and then so immediately disappointed. I was a forum commando and made my first website in preparation for the game. Turns out waiting 15 minutes for someone to spawn a truck, driving twenty minutes to get to the action, then hit a speed bump and float away and eventually die is pretty frustrating. The game was such hot garbage.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

boviscopophobic posted:

So you go to all the effort and expense of mocapping something as mundane as a guy mopping the floor, so that even the smallest details will be realized with the highest fidelity... and then you don't give him a mop head to work with? There's no way that motion will come out correctly.
Then in transition to in-engine models they made the bucket more spacey and changed the mopper's race.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ayn Marx posted:

I was hoping that one day I could be the most worthless poster in this sub-forum
I gave it my best but there is so much competition :(

We're refining only the highest quality of shitposting here, but a good high bar can only make things better.

Speaking of quality;

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/24/525443040/-zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-maintenance-author-robert-m-pirsig-dies-at-88

Incredible book, Zen.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

EightAce posted:

Purely hypothetical of course and totally NOT true in any way .
But imagine if Gary Parpman was promised a royalty based on his performance , imagine that he took a slight pay cut for this . Imagine he signed a specific deal for the use of his likeness.
Now imagine that somehow CIG were deemed to have used his image inappropriately. Say like releasing pre-production mocap set ups and unauthored textures of his face etc . Now let’s pretend that CIG have slipped ever so slightly behind with sq42 and those royalties seem less and less likely, even so far as Mr Parpmans original contract clearly specified a date that has now sailed past . Let’s say that Mr Parpman has called his agent ....

Now lets check if Mr Parpmans agent is the same one he had when filming Sq42

Like I said, just a hypotheseis from a low level wig technician that once walked past the LA office

:gary: :gizz:

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

EightAce posted:

But imagine if Gary Parpman was promised a royalty based on his performance , imagine that he took a slight pay cut for this . Imagine he signed a specific deal for the use of his likeness.
Now imagine that somehow CIG were deemed to have used his image inappropriately. Say like releasing pre-production mocap set ups and unauthored textures of his face etc . Now let’s pretend that CIG have slipped ever so slightly behind with sq42 and those royalties seem less and less likely, even so far as Mr Parpmans original contract clearly specified a date that has now sailed past . Let’s say that Mr Parpman has called his agent ....

Like I said, just a hypotheseis from a low level wig technician that once walked past the LA office
Would explain a good amount, though not the dearth of footage of in-game Gillian Anderson or anyone really outside of brief glimpses of Hamill, a blurry Mitra, hoarse underwater Oldman, and t-posed Rhys-Davies. Obviously there's general incompetence as an explanation but that implies someone inside CIG is competent enough to recognize that their cinematics look like poo poo.

The fact that champion paralegal MoMA and veteran lawyer Man in Black were probably the ones who wrote up the ironclad contracts casts some doubt on your hypothetical scenario.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

IncredibleIgloo posted:

WWII online was my personal SC. I have never been so ridiculously excited for a game and then so immediately disappointed. I was a forum commando and made my first website in preparation for the game. Turns out waiting 15 minutes for someone to spawn a truck, driving twenty minutes to get to the action, then hit a speed bump and float away and eventually die is pretty frustrating. The game was such hot garbage.

Ha, yep. Remember the forums...where everyone was excited they could parachute out of an airplane. Folks were coming up with the first scenarios to destroy Paris and the Eiffel Tower.

WWII Online is the parallel of how this is going to play out.

Had it all...

1) Huge patch sizes (this is the one that doomed the thing back in the 56K modem days)
2) Could do anything
3) Military rankings based on performance
4) Multicrew
5) etc. etc.

Will give them this though...you could literally run on foot for a few hours and steal a base behind enemy lines.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Chin posted:

Would explain a good amount, though not the dearth of footage of in-game Gillian Anderson or anyone really outside of brief glimpses of Hamill, a blurry Mitra, hoarse underwater Oldman, and t-posed Rhys-Davies. Obviously there's general incompetence as an explanation but that implies someone inside CIG is competent enough to recognize that their cinematics look like poo poo.

The fact that champion paralegal MoMA and veteran lawyer Man in Black were probably the ones who wrote up the ironclad contracts casts some doubt on your hypothetical scenario.

I fully suspect in the end we'll find out that the 63 days of shooting in the most expensive motion capture studio in the world, using very expensive talent was binned as unusable due mostly to the idiot they had in charge.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

How respond Dr Smart?

his nibs fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 25, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ha, yep. Remember the forums...where everyone was excited they could parachute out of an airplane. Folks were coming up with the first scenarios to destroy Paris and the Eiffel Tower.

WWII Online is the parallel of how this is going to play out.

Had it all...

1) Huge patch sizes (this is the one that doomed the thing back in the 56K modem days)
2) Could do anything
3) Military rankings based on performance
4) Multicrew
5) etc. etc.

Will give them this though...you could literally run on foot for a few hours and steal a base behind enemy lines.
Can you still do it? I think tried years ago and watched a flak crew drag their gun in and out of a blown building to hide from tanks and whack planes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

his nibs posted:

How respond Dr Smart?

You really can't write something like that without the benefit of an explicit mental image

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You really can't write something like that without the benefit of an explicit mental image

A real warlord would have someone to rub his nips.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

We're refining only the highest quality of shitposting here, but a good high bar can only make things better.

Speaking of quality;

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/24/525443040/-zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-maintenance-author-robert-m-pirsig-dies-at-88

Incredible book, Zen.

That book destroyed my bike as my older brother took it upon himself to dismantle my Yamaha 750 Special and leave the parts strewn about in the Florida sun while i was away on a trip.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This might be the dumbest post I've seen in a while lol :iiaca:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A bored QCS troll? Are you that loving retarded? Actually yes, you are that retarded. nvm

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Can you still do it? I think tried years ago and watched a flak crew drag their gun in and out of a blown building to hide from tanks and whack planes.

I don't know. Amazing how 15 years ago they figured out how to hitch up guns to tow around and have around 8 players loaded up in the back of a truck. They were good times, a lot of people made the best of it. Actually was somewhat cool when I think about it. But like I said, there were a lot of dreams and when the final product was produced this is how SC will come out.

Sorry to derail the thread.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Beet Wagon posted:

The analogy kind of works, assuming that by "take the prototype on the testing ground" he means that you get to run around with a single detached side view mirror, because that's all they've designed.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

More concerning is that there's a specific time period suggested for the rubbening

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

I too would like to join the program where you volunteer to be in multiple car crashes :psyduck:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

WWIIOL is still kicking. 15 years is a long time for hot garbage to exist. Refunded everything I could for Star Citizen. Yet still have two WWIIOL accounts and supported their last round of crowdfunding even though I haven't played the game since 2012ish. Don't know of a better combined arms game. There are lots of games with better graphics, but none have done the infantry, armor, artillery, planes, and ships better than WWIIOL.

SelenicMartian posted:

Got much harder to solo cap a town. Over the years the Rats figured out how to focus players into hot spots. Made taking towns much more of a team effort and stopped players from dramatically altering the map during low population hours.

The combined arms was one of the reasons I used to have so many WWIIOL accounts. Would spawn a half track, an 88, and an infantry unit and hide in the hills overlooking Namur flaming tanks. Some of my best gaming moments where had in WWIIOL.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Once again, Citizens are obsessed with Derek Smart's penis/penile activities.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

HycoCam posted:

WWIIOL is still kicking. 15 years is a long time for hot garbage to exist. Refunded everything I could for Star Citizen. Yet still have two WWIIOL accounts and supported their last round of crowdfunding even though I haven't played the game since 2012ish. Don't know of a better combined arms game. There are lots of games with better graphics, but none have done the infantry, armor, artillery, planes, and ships better than WWIIOL.

I think the best part is a few months ago they wanted to raise around $6K or so to afford new servers. Meanwhile SC blows that on a loving desk.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Kiowa guy posts a lot like Brendan just saying

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think the best part is a few months ago they wanted to raise around $6K or so to afford new servers. Meanwhile SC blows that on a loving desk.

I read that as does 6k of blow off a desk, either works probably.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

boviscopophobic posted:

So you go to all the effort and expense of mocapping something as mundane as a guy mopping the floor, so that even the smallest details will be realized with the highest fidelity... and then you don't give him a mop head to work with? There's no way that motion will come out correctly.

Heh this is exactly what I was thinking... the movement looks unnatural as gently caress because he's just waving a stick around with no drag and almost no mass that would make him use the muscles required and therefore output believable motion for the given task. In other words, perfect for star Citizen!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

EightAce posted:

That's almost exactly what happened with Ascendant Pictures and Kevin Costner isn't it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

When it comes to Star Citizen, Suck and Blow are interchangeable.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Suck My oval office Part Deux: The Chiefening

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Thoatse posted:

Heh this is exactly what I was thinking... the movement looks unnatural as gently caress because he's just waving a stick around with no drag and almost no mass that would make him use the muscles required and therefore output believable motion for the given task. In other words, perfect for star Citizen!

You don't get it, goon. This isn't Chris doing the mocap for the "commando mopping a floor" scene, it's the mocap for the "doing the mocap for the commando mopping a floor scene" scene. In SQ42 you play as Chris Roberts trying to finish Star Citizen while fending off the dinks, leavers and snowflakes.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

I actually read yours as a 6k blow off a desk

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
must be all this winky talk

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Thoatse posted:

Not to mention that he's not keeping the "mop" handle a consistent height off the floor, so when you add a mop head it's going to be bouncing all over the place and clipping through the floor. Of course this is Star Citizen, so that's kinda a given no matter what.

Edit: Too lazy for cat tax today.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Viscous Soda posted:

welcome

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Viscous Soda posted:

we got you fam

e: awwww

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 25, 2017

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Also Mother's Day is coming up pretty quick. Just a heads up.

And pette dags, call 'rents, post buns etc

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Maybe I've spent too much time reading this thread, but I can't read an article about video games without imagining the writers making GBS threads on Star Citizen.

quote:

A longstanding dream: Video games will evolve into interactive stories, like the ones that play out fictionally on the Star Trek Holodeck. In this hypothetical future, players could interact with computerized characters as round as those in novels or films, making choices that would influence an ever-evolving plot. It would be like living in a novel, where the player’s actions would have as much of an influence on the story as they might in the real world.

The problem becomes increasingly intractable over time. Incremental improvements in visual fidelity make 3-D worlds seem more and more real. But those worlds feel even more incongruous when the people that inhabit them behave like animatronics and the environments work like Potemkin villages.

...cinema envy. The game industry has long dreamed of overtaking Hollywood to become the “medium of the 21st century,” a concept now so retrograde that it could only satisfy an occupant of the 20th.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/04/video-games-stories/524148/

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

BUNNYTAKER LANDS A VICIOUS SUPLEX AND CEREALBOX IS NOT WALKING AWAY FROM THAT. OH MY GOD HE'S BROKEN IN HALF.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/QFaeljD.mp4

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

Maybe I've spent too much time reading this thread, but I can't read an article about video games without imagining the writers making GBS threads on Star Citizen.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/04/video-games-stories/524148/

oh yeah me too for sure i see completely unrelated things and associate the space videogame to them due to a completely insane obsession like a schizo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Why are you all so completely insane that you cant stop seeing star citizen in your daily lives like the movie 23 but infinitely sadder and embarrassing